| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 147  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:02 pm 
***LIES!!!***

The argument doesn't follow, though, that vegans should get even less screening than the lowest amount recommended for the general population. Making an individual screening decision based on family history and maybe even things like smoking makes sense to me. Doing it based on diet seems iffier to me, since the connection between diet and risk is much more attenuated in most cases.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:36 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I'm trying to look up some of the articles I've seen on it before, but Google is thwarting me (the top results for the searches I'm doing are clogged with propaganda sites). I recall the numbers being more dramatic though*, and also recall that most breast cancer risk factors are not genetic (obviously it depends on the specific type of breast cancer, but most people who have certain high-risk genes already have a family history). One of my best friends actually worked for a few years doing QA-type stuff on preventative breast cancer studies for a university so I'll interrogate her on it at a more eastern-friendly hour.

Anyway, I think ALL demonstrable risk factors are worth considering and investigating. But along with "some people should maybe get screened more" comes "some people maybe would benefit from being screened less." I do think that given my own combined lack of risk factors, I certainly wouldn't pursue early (invasive) breast cancer testing knowing what I do at this point. Meanwhile there are other things I wish my providers would pay more attention to.

* of course these studies never correct for the myriad other differences between veg*n and not-veg*n populations, also an issue. As long as there are gradual students there will be crappy studies that do not really answer anything.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 am 
WRETCHED

In terms of the prostate cancer screening, it sounds like the screening needs to be refined. Also, although a biopsy is invasive, it isn't necessarily harmful. If it were me, I rather have an unnecessary biopsy than not get a biopsy if I had cancerous cells.

Here are a couple articles on mammographies and outcomes. Also, I read that in certain cases, those with the breast cancer genes are recommended for MRIs vs mammographies.

http://www.diagnosticimaging.com/articl ... -are-wrong
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/590535

Obviously people can make their own decisions but I think medical care/recommendations should be comprehensive. Sure good nutrition helps but there are other things that can be used to screen for diseases. If you don't agree with your doctor or aren't sure, a second opinion should be sought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 2:25 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

annak wrote:
I think it's a valid question of whether it's useful to screen people who eat a plant-based diet for disease the same as those who don't.

I think this is an interesting question. It's likely that vegans/near vegans have a different set of risk factors and are less likely to get some diseases and more likely to get others, but since these things haven't been studied much yet, the best recommendations we have are those for the general public.

For instance, Jack Norris has rates of cancers for vegetarians and nonvegetarians at this link. In most cases, the risks are about the same. For some cancers, vegetarians have less risk and for others they have more. And there haven't been many similar studies in vegans. http://www.veganhealth.org/articles/cancer

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 3:12 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

LazySmurf wrote:
I really liked this post yesterday The Slippery Slope of Vegan Nutritional Surveillance about the harm that nutritional one-up-manship does does.

Quote:
It used to be that vegans concerned ourselves with social justice and digging at the roots of unjust privileges.

Yes! +1 to this sentiment.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:27 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I hate that I can tell the difference between when someone is telling me I can't do something just because they are a crasshole, vs. telling me I can't because I'm a woman.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:40 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My sister posted a video of 3 dudes going around motorboating women's boobs to raise money for breast cancer awareness. She thought it was funny. I thought it was horrible. I don't even know if there's a way to make her see how awful it is, or if there's even any point.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:30 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Wow. i can't even. Did women donate money in exchange for getting motorboated?
Secretly the whole "Save the tatas" and "I love boobies" thing peeves me. I understand that it is very attention grabbing, but it seems a bit objectifying. Especially when i see shirts that say "I LOVE BOOBIES," with very small, if any, text indicating that it is a breast cancer awareness shirt. Is it that hard to have a desire to cure breast cancer because it saves lives, not because it saves the precious precious boobies?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 12:35 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I wonder how that would go down if we tried to raise "awareness" for prostate cancer in a similar way.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

annabazoo wrote:

That's the worst part - it was 3 dudes saying they would donate $20 for every woman who let them do it. They weren't raising money - they were giving money on condition that they got to grab women's boobs and stick their faces between them.

annabazoo wrote:
Secretly the whole "Save the tatas" and "I love boobies" thing peeves me. I understand that it is very attention grabbing, but it seems a bit objectifying. Especially when i see shirts that say "I LOVE BOOBIES," with very small, if any, text indicating that it is a breast cancer awareness shirt. Is it that hard to have a desire to cure breast cancer because it saves lives, not because it saves the precious precious boobies?

Yeah, my sister posted the video for some friends who were raising money for breast cancer awareness or something. She posted it as a joke, like here's how you can raise the rest of the money (they're doing an event where you have to raise a certain amount). They did some other event that used the kind of language you're referring to, bingo for boobies or something. Things like that seem to be more about raising awareness of breasts than of cancer.

Also, I'm pretty sure the event is related to SGK because the amount they have to raise is pretty outrageous. And SGK is more about SGK awareness than breast cancer awareness.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:43 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

rachell37 wrote:
annabazoo wrote:

That's the worst part - it was 3 dudes saying they would donate $20 for every woman who let them do it. They weren't raising money - they were giving money on condition that they got to grab women's boobs and stick their faces between them.

I had no idea that this is what "motorboating" means. I was thinking something along the lines of women in white T-shirts being soaked by people in motorboats or similar. Obviously both would be shitty, but the actual meaning is so much worse!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:16 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I actually did respond, and one of her friends responded that she thought it was funny and that it was a good idea. I just don't understand how it could possibly be a good idea. I really, really don't - like, I can't process how it would be in any way beneficial for anyone other than the guys doing it. Sometimes I think it would be easier to go through life if I didn't see the misogyny in things like that.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I...BLECH. Is there a term for women who side with their oppressors? Because there seriously needs to be one.

http://jezebel.com/rape-culture-is-just ... 1452312612

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:36 pm 
***LIES!!!***

handmaids of the patriarchy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:34 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Traitors?*

*I'm, like, 85% kidding.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:58 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

It's like Stockholm syndrome for the status quo or something.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 8:25 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Drinking the Kool Aid.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:51 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Female Chauvinist Pigs (from that Ariel Levy book)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:17 pm 
WRETCHED

I watched Miss Representation which I thought was interesting overall. I'm kind of surprised that the director of Twilight used Twilight as an example of a strong female character... I would've considered Twilight (based on what I've read on the books) as an example of exactly what the documentary was criticizing.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Yeah, Bella is not exactly Rosie the Riveter.

All other issues aside, she falls into a zombie state when Edward dumps her and doesn't start existing again until he comes back.

Twilight is a crappy, badly written series that got millions of teens to pick up a book and read. I think people give it too much credit, good or bad, beyond that.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:53 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
I watched Miss Representation which I thought was interesting overall. I'm kind of surprised that the director of Twilight used Twilight as an example of a strong female character... I would've considered Twilight (based on what I've read on the books) as an example of exactly what the documentary was criticizing.

I think it was included because they were discussing the issues with getting movies that appeal primarily to women produced.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 7:24 am 
WRETCHED

Vantine wrote:
linanil wrote:

I think it was included because they were discussing the issues with getting movies that appeal primarily to women produced.

Yeah but it appeals to young women because... she is a damsel in distress? I get it but just seemed odd.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:40 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I like my women in film to be weak and useless. Perhaps I should see this Twilight you speak of.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight

I like the Oatmeal's take on twilight. He explains that the lead female character is barely described, so any reader can place herself in the "empty shell" of a character. On the contrary, Edward is described in every little detail as a perfect man. Except the Oatmeal says it funnier than me.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:51 am 
Flounceiad 2011

pandacookie wrote:
I like my women in film to be weak and useless. Perhaps I should see this Twilight you speak of.
Exactly! There's nothing I find more inspiring than a woman who has no agency, identity, or power except what she gets from being admired by and/or involved with a man!
annabazoo wrote:
http://theoatmeal.com/story/twilight

I like the Oatmeal's take on twilight. He explains that the lead female character is barely described, so any reader can place herself in the "empty shell" of a character. On the contrary, Edward is described in every little detail as a perfect man. Except the Oatmeal says it funnier than me.
"Because I forgot her name (I think it was Barbara or Brando or something like that), I'm going to refer to her as 'Pants' from here on out." I've never read any of the Twilight stuff, but that pretty much reinforces everything I've heard. (Plus, it's brilliant and hilarious.)

"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 3654 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 117, 118, 119, 120, 121, 122, 123 ... 147  Next