| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:10 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 168  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:19 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Anti-rape underwear just keeps making me think that it's out of some weird dystopian futuristic novel. Except not dystopian or futuristic because it's here and now. And that's sad.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:31 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Fee wrote:
Anti-rape underwear just keeps making me think that it's out of some weird dystopian futuristic novel. Except not dystopian or futuristic because it's here and now. And that's sad.

Well, Snow Crash has the dentata, which injects rapists with sedatives (upon p in v penetration), so the person they're attacking can get away. And those google glassed are coming out. And the US is becoming increasingly stratified by class, etc... So I guess we are living in an unpleasant cyberpunk futuretime. Yay?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:51 am 
Just Loathin' Around!

I am intrigued by what sort of material that undergarment is made of if it can't be moved or cut with scissors. The video shows very thin women wearing it but I don't own any clothing that looks like that on me. How comfortable is it? How likely is it to work when you don't have a guy with dull scissors hacking at it for 10 seconds? How difficult are they to put on and take off? You have to remember a special combination to get the button configured right to take them off? Why not make a version for men so that they have to walk around in uncomfortable tight pants that they can't take off until they can correctly sing the lyrics to Girls Just Want to Have Fun?

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:03 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I could imagine me (and others with tiny bladders, i'm sure) getting drunk and frustrated as i try remove these anti-rape underoos so i can pee every thirty minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 12:33 pm 
Dead by dawn

Sorry, I can't be bothered to wear comfortable pantaloons when I run let alone some scissor-resistant contraption. At least carrying pepper spray doesn't chafe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 1:58 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

pandacookie wrote:
Why not make a version for men so that they have to walk around in uncomfortable tight pants that they can't take off until they can correctly sing the lyrics to Girls Just Want to Have Fun?

Now here's an idea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:07 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Teehee, that reminds me the episode of IT Crowd in which Reynholm has to wear sex pants.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 4:57 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
pandacookie wrote:
Why not make a version for men so that they have to walk around in uncomfortable tight pants that they can't take off until they can correctly sing the lyrics to Girls Just Want to Have Fun?

Now here's an idea.
Kickstarter time!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:35 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

pandacookie wrote:
I am intrigued by what sort of material that undergarment is made of if it can't be moved or cut with scissors. The video shows very thin women wearing it but I don't own any clothing that looks like that on me. How comfortable is it? How likely is it to work when you don't have a guy with dull scissors hacking at it for 10 seconds? How difficult are they to put on and take off? You have to remember a special combination to get the button configured right to take them off? Why not make a version for men so that they have to walk around in uncomfortable tight pants that they can't take off until they can correctly sing the lyrics to Girls Just Want to Have Fun?

When I watched the video I kept thinking "muffin top! muffin top! muffin top!" My body does not deal well with rigid fabrics.

And needing a combination to sex it up reminds me a little too much of chastity belts.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:18 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

the awful stuff being said on the internet about this:
ETA: trigger alert!
http://putyourdamnpantson.com/2013/11/05/guest-post-i-wont-apologize-for-being-assaulted/
I mean, obviously I shouldn't be surprised by all the rape apologists out there and all the people saying "we want proof!" and "why didn't she come forward sooner", but I always feel like the punk community ought to hold itself to higher standards. (Granted, that band is, and has always been, forking garbage.) But my partner and I were just discussing how worried we'll be when our own daughters start going to shows and I just don't want to feel any of this.
Edited AGAIN to add that my own personal distaste for that band's music has nothing to do with any of this!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 12:26 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I don't venture into The Parlor often pretty much because I don't want to get pissed off by what I don't know (umm, anti-rape underwear, what the fizzle?). However, I turned on the radio the other day (a rarity, I'm a CD-in-the-car person) and turned it on just in time to catch this gem of a lyric: if it weren't for date rape I wouldn't get laid.

I cannot even express how this incensed me and how its just ok that this is on the radio. I'm not advocating censorship, but why is this ok?

I don't know, for some reason I seem to be more hyper-aware of the fundamental fuckedupness we have in our culture regarding rape permissiveness and victim shaming, and it makes me want to scream.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 1:20 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

It's a Sublime song called Date Rape. It's not the best for a few reasons but it is pretty much an anti-date rape song.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 4:00 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I guess that makes me feel better? Hard to shake when I had no context, just that last line. Anyway, thanks for letting me know!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 7:18 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Note for any future New England meetups - ask NDP if she's wearing pantaloons. Then have everyone...stare!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 8:20 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Haha! Now I can't stop giggling. I'm getting industrial strength pantaloons for the next meetup.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:15 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Yesterday on the train a complete stranger put his hand on my thigh and said I was wearing shagging boots. I slapped his hand away so hard and fast he was actually shocked. But then when I got off some people were asking me if I knew him, and seeming sympathetic, but then one of them said that perhaps I shouldnt wear the boots again. When I said that the boots were nothing to do with it he actually said 'Don't go getting all Germaine Greer on me' and laughed. I couldn't believe it! I was absolutely fine, I was well able to stick up for myself in both situations, but WHO does that?

Ps Not that it matters a jot but they were flat brown almost knee length pleather boots that I bought in Next.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:41 am 
Angrily Posting on Facebook

Efcliz wrote:
Yesterday on the train a complete stranger put his hand on my thigh and said I was wearing shagging boots. I slapped his hand away so hard and fast he was actually shocked. But then when I got off some people were asking me if I knew him, and seeming sympathetic, but then one of them said that perhaps I shouldnt wear the boots again. When I said that the boots were nothing to do with it he actually said 'Don't go getting all Germaine Greer on me' and laughed. I couldn't believe it! I was absolutely fine, I was well able to stick up for myself in both situations, but WHO does that?

Ps Not that it matters a jot but they were flat brown almost knee length pleather boots that I bought in Next.

What in the everloving fork?

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:56 am 
Huffs Nooch

Wow, that's awful. It sounds like you reacted in exactly the right way though, good for you. I think I would have been too angry and not been able to come up with the right words...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 1:17 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Ha! I didn't know Germaine Greer was still relevant in the UK. Maybe the train time traveled back to the 70s.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 2:41 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

pandacookie wrote:
Ha! I didn't know Germaine Greer was still relevant in the UK. Maybe the train time traveled back to the 70s.

Ha. Maybe this should have been in the 'best things' thread. He was from Carlisle aged about 35. I should be all Pollyanna that he'd heard of Germaine Greer.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:01 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

About an hour ago, Roman Polanski was interviewed on French TV. And the journalist asked him if he had forgiven Samantha Geimer, the teenager he raped. Sick.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:44 pm 
Huffs Nooch

aelle wrote:
About an hour ago, Roman Polanski was interviewed on French TV. And the journalist asked him if he had forgiven Samantha Geimer, the teenager he raped. Sick.

WHAT?! What the fork is wrong with people?! "So pedophile, rapist, did you forgive your victim yet?"
This is the most infuriating thing I've heard for weeks.

Also sorry that happened to you, Efcliz. I am glad you were able to stick up for yourself against both of them, though.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:52 pm 
Semen Strong

What did he say in response?

I wonder how he would feel if someone asked Charles Manson if he had forgiven Sharon Tate as yet.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:19 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Shamini wrote:
aelle wrote:

WHAT?! What the fork is wrong with people?! "So pedophile, rapist, did you forgive your victim yet?"
This is the most infuriating thing I've heard for weeks.
I feel so sorry for that woman. It's horrendous enough that she was drugged and assaulted when she was barely an adolescent, but despite her repeated pleas to speak and hear no more about it and move along with her life, no one will leave it alone, which means she has that dirtbag stuck to her heels like a piece of toilet paper in the eyes of the world, on top of what she's had to work through as a private person. UGH.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
What did he say in response?

I didn't watch that far. I wanted to hurl things at my screen, so I turned it off instead. But feel free to see by yourself: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=642268615796714

It makes me sick that the media is even giving screen time to this guy at all. And of course the journalists that do it are the ones who swim in their own completely unexamined rape culture.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4179 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 124, 125, 126, 127, 128, 129, 130 ... 168  Next