| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

As a post-mortem feminist, I am greatly offended by the exclusion of those of us in non-corporeal bodies.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:59 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Can we all just agree that "fierce" is forking meaningless?

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:36 pm 
Semen Strong

I am fiercely eating lo mein right now!

emmalv wrote:
Maybe it was because I was just in the pet forum, but yeah, Desdemona, my knee jerk reaction to "expressed" was as in "she needs her anal glands expressed."

I laughed so hard <3 Especially because of the way she is standing in the clear glass stripper heels.

emmalv wrote:
What was your response when this person presented this to you?

My head exploded, and I ran over to the PPK to see if I am out of line, bc all the comments on this picture were of the "You Go Girl!" variety.

There are a bunch of "Embrace Your Inner Female Goddess" seminars, that make a ton of money on having women feel sexy, and I generally think that is awesome. But a bunch of my friends are doing them, and there seems to be a particular way to release your inner goddess, which involves a particular modality of femininity, which seems to be the one that is perpetuated by the patriarchy and its ad agencies to make women feel insecure and buy more stuff. Why can't it be "Release Your Inner Goddess and Watch Her Ravage Ice Cream And Fart In The Couch Cushions?"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 pm 
***LIES!!!***

Tofulish wrote:
Why can't it be "Release Your Inner Goddess and Watch Her Ravage Ice Cream And Fart In The Couch Cushions?"

If they provide the ice cream, I am totally attending that seminar.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 pm 
Semen Strong

If you want to come over on Tuesday, I will totally lead that seminar and provide ice-cream and couch cushions.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:08 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm half afraid that the "inner goddess" stuff comes from Fifty Shades. I estimate that approximately 8% of the word count comes from that phrase.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
Semen Strong

I am pretty sure it predates it. I went to a Goddess Graduation about 10 years ago, it was some very froufrou pink course, where you paid a few thousand dollars for a year long course in how to seize your female power in community with your fellow Goddesses, and it culminated in all the participants doing a burlesque show to highlight how comfortable they are in their female sexual nature thingamajiggy. It was cool, but basically also just a marketing event for people to bring their friends and family to sign up to unleash their Inner GOddesses for a few thousand dollars. And of course after the initial classes there are lots of different courses and trips you can take with your Goddess Community.

Its nice in theory, but expensive, and I wonder if it commodifies and exploits women's insecurities.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:20 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I remember those from years ago too, but it seems to me they got really popular again with Fifty Shades. Could be a coincidence.

One of my new GED students was raving about the book too. I feel like I need to carry around a stack of well written, quality erotica to give to these people.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Quote:
...you paid a few thousand dollars for a year long course in how to seize your female power in community with your fellow Goddesses, and it culminated in all the participants doing a burlesque show to highlight how comfortable they are in their female sexual nature thingamajiggy.
I…well, all righty then. Who knew there were so many Goddesses wandering around with thousands of extra bucks burning holes in their celestial pockets? Or that they'd choose to exhibit their awesome "power" by putting on burlesque shows? Live and learn!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:18 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

lavawitch wrote:

One of my new GED students was raving about the book too. I feel like I need to carry around a stack of well written, quality erotica to give to these people.

This is awesome. You would be very memorable!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:37 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Tofulish wrote:
Someone I know is doing a female empowerment seminar.

(pic not included)

I hate that the image accompanying the list of "what it is to be female" because it seems to say - you have have this wide diversity of characteristics, but not a diversity of body types. I thought it was an ad for a strip club at first...

And what the heck does it mean to be "embodied" - aren't we all embodied?

ETA: oops sorry for the large picture.

Such a strange list.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:10 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Tofulish wrote:
I am fiercely eating lo mein right now!

emmalv wrote:
Maybe it was because I was just in the pet forum, but yeah, Desdemona, my knee jerk reaction to "expressed" was as in "she needs her anal glands expressed."

I laughed so hard <3 Especially because of the way she is standing in the clear glass stripper heels.

emmalv wrote:
What was your response when this person presented this to you?

My head exploded, and I ran over to the PPK to see if I am out of line, bc all the comments on this picture were of the "You Go Girl!" variety.

There are a bunch of "Embrace Your Inner Female Goddess" seminars, that make a ton of money on having women feel sexy, and I generally think that is awesome. But a bunch of my friends are doing them, and there seems to be a particular way to release your inner goddess, which involves a particular modality of femininity, which seems to be the one that is perpetuated by the patriarchy and its ad agencies to make women feel insecure and buy more stuff. Why can't it be "Release Your Inner Goddess and Watch Her Ravage Ice Cream And Fart In The Couch Cushions?"

Well I think its safe to assume that no one here thinks you are out of line. Its nice to have a place like here to go to with this rage-y stuff. As craiger_ny says, that is an odd list. And I agree; it very much reads like a list influenced by what men think women want to think about themselves while at the same time assumes women are dumb and just like buzzwords that sound good yet make no sense within any sort of context. And let's not forget that goddess = honoring the world's oldest profession.

Men (and when I say "men" I really am getting at the patriarchal culture) don't acknowledge that women fart, so your seminar is just out of the question. However, should you decide to run this seminar, I will consider a vacation to the east coast to attend as long as it is being held in the meeting room across from the Stripper Goddess one. And as long as there is ice cream. And maybe wine too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I think that most of our discussion about the Steubenville rape case took place in this thread, so I hope this is the right place to post then news that four more people (all adults, including the school superintendent) have been indicted.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 6429.story

So that's good news. Unfortunately, there's also bad news of very a similar type. What exactly the hell is it with football players apparently having carte blanche to do whatever they like to whomever they like without any consequences?

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/11/22/s ... ball-town/

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:57 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I was just reading about the Steubenville indictments! I'm going to ignore all other bad news and focus on that, because, DAMN.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:04 pm 
Semen Strong

Hurrah for the outcome in Steubenville!

I am going to rant that I am really annoyed by women who act as apologists for misogynists, always saying things like "Oh no, even if he says terrible things, he does all these great things for women's causes and he says everything with a twinkle in his eye, and he definitely doesn't want anyone to think he actually believes it!" I got into a stupid FB argument with a woman who is in her 40s, who said she is and has been a huge Howard Stern fan since the 80s and that he really isn't a misogynist, and has gotten so much better over the years, and oh look Robin Quivers! And then I posted the section of an interview where he slams Lena Dunham for being fat and ugly, and says that looking at her makes him feel like he is being raped. I don't care how many good things he does off the air, on-the-air he makes his money from misogyny and his listening audience is never happier than when he is slamming or objectifying a woman. Grrr.

And I can't even with the women defending Gary Yourofsky's statements that people wearing fur should be raped. Why can't we have an A/R movement that stands for non-violence towards all and doesn't tolerate misogyny? Why are people who point out misogyny told to sit down and shut up for the good of the movement, rather than having the speaker take ownership of his statements and apologize for them?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
Hurrah for the outcome in Steubenville!

I am going to rant that I am really annoyed by women who act as apologists for misogynists, always saying things like "Oh no, even if he says terrible things, he does all these great things for women's causes and he says everything with a twinkle in his eye, and he definitely doesn't want anyone to think he actually believes it!" I got into a stupid FB argument with a woman who is in her 40s, who said she is and has been a huge Howard Stern fan since the 80s and that he really isn't a misogynist, and has gotten so much better over the years, and oh look Robin Quivers! And then I posted the section of an interview where he slams Lena Dunham for being fat and ugly, and says that looking at her makes him feel like he is being raped. I don't care how many good things he does off the air, on-the-air he makes his money from misogyny and his listening audience is never happier than when he is slamming or objectifying a woman. Grrr.

And I can't even with the women defending Gary Yourofsky's statements that people wearing fur should be raped. Why can't we have an A/R movement that stands for non-violence towards all and doesn't tolerate misogyny? Why are people who point out misogyny told to sit down and shut up for the good of the movement, rather than having the speaker take ownership of his statements and apologize for them?
Hellz yes to all of this.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Reading up on our potential new assignment.
Quote:
During your stay in Naples you will notice a difference from living in the U.S. Because of the presence of immigrant prostitutes in a few areas surrounding Naples, some female U.S. personnel have reported being verbally harassed while off base.

NO I DO NOT THINK THAT IS THE REASON.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/us ... women.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:43 pm 
Semen Strong

OMG Desdemona, that case makes me so sick! I cannot believe that a NY family court actually ignored the fact that for purposes of jurisdiction, you use where the child is born and it is clear that fetuses are not children. Emily Bazelon has a good run down of the legal reasoning in that custody case. http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... uling.html

But either way, I cannot believe that a court would take a six month old from his mother and give him to a father he had never met (and whom the mother barely knew) who lives across the country, essentially because the father has more money and to punish the mother for relocating while pregnant. Because we all know that once you are carrying a man's child, he gets to make decisions about your life for the next 9 months. And the fact that Bode-Miller's new wife made it clear that she thinks she is a better mother because she is at home, while Sara McKenna is a student and relies on childcare is reprehensible. I am so glad that McKenna was able to get pro bono representation for her appeal, because I cannot imagine what that custody fight would have otherwise done to her financial situation. Its just mindblowing and horrible.

annak wrote:
Reading up on our potential new assignment.
Quote:
During your stay in Naples you will notice a difference from living in the U.S. Because of the presence of immigrant prostitutes in a few areas surrounding Naples, some female U.S. personnel have reported being verbally harassed while off base.

NO I DO NOT THINK THAT IS THE REASON.

Congratulations on your potential new assignment!

I was harassed in Italy when we went there on a family vacation when I was 12! It was a weird introduction into being a woman. In Austria no one ever really bothered me at that age. Pretty sure it has everything to do with local culture and nothing to do with immigrant anythings.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:27 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

lavawitch wrote:
I feel like I need to carry around a stack of well written, quality erotica to give to these people.

Where is this well written erotica? I need some!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:54 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Check out the Smart bisques, Trashy Books blog. It covers all of the romance subgenres.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:41 am 
Flounceiad 2011

Tofulish wrote:
OMG Desdemona, that case makes me so sick! I cannot believe that a NY family court actually ignored the fact that for purposes of jurisdiction, you use where the child is born and it is clear that fetuses are not children. Emily Bazelon has a good run down of the legal reasoning in that custody case. http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... uling.html

But either way, I cannot believe that a court would take a six month old from his mother and give him to a father he had never met (and whom the mother barely knew) who lives across the country, essentially because the father has more money and to punish the mother for relocating while pregnant. Because we all know that once you are carrying a man's child, he gets to make decisions about your life for the next 9 months. And the fact that Bode-Miller's new wife made it clear that she thinks she is a better mother because she is at home, while Sara McKenna is a student and relies on childcare is reprehensible. I am so glad that McKenna was able to get pro bono representation for her appeal, because I cannot imagine what that custody fight would have otherwise done to her financial situation. Its just mindblowing and horrible.

The potential ramifications of a precedent like the CA court's ruling are terrifying; characterizing the mother's decision to move to NY for college as an "appropriation of the child while in utero" that was "irresponsible [and] reprehensible" chills my blood. This type of thinking is straight out of The Handmaid's Tale, and essentially reduces a full-grown woman to the status of an incubator without personal agency, subjectivity, or civil rights every time a sperm happens to meet an egg. I don't think anyone - certainly not anyone with a uterus - wants to live in that world.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Tofulish wrote:

I'm so shocked and appalled at this. What the hell is wrong with people?!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:10 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

"Financial independence is a great thing, but you can’t take your paycheck to bed with you. And there’s nothing empowering about being beholden to an employer when what you really want is to have a baby. That’s dependency of a different sort."

Be advised that you should probably take several deep, cleansing breaths and put away any and all sharp objects before reading further.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/ ... -husbands/

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:14 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Desdemona wrote:
"Financial independence is a great thing, but you can’t take your paycheck to bed with you. And there’s nothing empowering about being beholden to an employer when what you really want is to have a baby. That’s dependency of a different sort."

Be advised that you should probably take several deep, cleansing breaths and put away any and all sharp objects before reading further.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/ ... -husbands/

All I saw was 'foxnews.com' and 'opinion' and I was out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 170  Next