| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 170  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:01 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3566
Location: Smugville, CA
As a post-mortem feminist, I am greatly offended by the exclusion of those of us in non-corporeal bodies.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 12:59 pm 
Offline
Fair trade, organic mistletoe
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:52 am
Posts: 3507
Location: Toronto
Can we all just agree that "fierce" is forking meaningless?

_________________
"I'd rather have dried catshit! I'd rather have astroturf! I'd rather have an igloo!"~Isa

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:36 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19027
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I am fiercely eating lo mein right now!

emmalv wrote:
Maybe it was because I was just in the pet forum, but yeah, Desdemona, my knee jerk reaction to "expressed" was as in "she needs her anal glands expressed."

I laughed so hard <3 Especially because of the way she is standing in the clear glass stripper heels.

emmalv wrote:
What was your response when this person presented this to you?


My head exploded, and I ran over to the PPK to see if I am out of line, bc all the comments on this picture were of the "You Go Girl!" variety.

There are a bunch of "Embrace Your Inner Female Goddess" seminars, that make a ton of money on having women feel sexy, and I generally think that is awesome. But a bunch of my friends are doing them, and there seems to be a particular way to release your inner goddess, which involves a particular modality of femininity, which seems to be the one that is perpetuated by the patriarchy and its ad agencies to make women feel insecure and buy more stuff. Why can't it be "Release Your Inner Goddess and Watch Her Ravage Ice Cream And Fart In The Couch Cushions?"

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:21 pm 
Offline
***LIES!!!***
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:10 pm
Posts: 3755
Tofulish wrote:
Why can't it be "Release Your Inner Goddess and Watch Her Ravage Ice Cream And Fart In The Couch Cushions?"


If they provide the ice cream, I am totally attending that seminar.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:36 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19027
Location: Cliffbar NJ
If you want to come over on Tuesday, I will totally lead that seminar and provide ice-cream and couch cushions.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:08 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12093
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I'm half afraid that the "inner goddess" stuff comes from Fifty Shades. I estimate that approximately 8% of the word count comes from that phrase.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:18 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19027
Location: Cliffbar NJ
I am pretty sure it predates it. I went to a Goddess Graduation about 10 years ago, it was some very froufrou pink course, where you paid a few thousand dollars for a year long course in how to seize your female power in community with your fellow Goddesses, and it culminated in all the participants doing a burlesque show to highlight how comfortable they are in their female sexual nature thingamajiggy. It was cool, but basically also just a marketing event for people to bring their friends and family to sign up to unleash their Inner GOddesses for a few thousand dollars. And of course after the initial classes there are lots of different courses and trips you can take with your Goddess Community.

Its nice in theory, but expensive, and I wonder if it commodifies and exploits women's insecurities.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12093
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
I remember those from years ago too, but it seems to me they got really popular again with Fifty Shades. Could be a coincidence.

One of my new GED students was raving about the book too. I feel like I need to carry around a stack of well written, quality erotica to give to these people.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:33 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: A New England
Quote:
...you paid a few thousand dollars for a year long course in how to seize your female power in community with your fellow Goddesses, and it culminated in all the participants doing a burlesque show to highlight how comfortable they are in their female sexual nature thingamajiggy.
I…well, all righty then. Who knew there were so many Goddesses wandering around with thousands of extra bucks burning holes in their celestial pockets? Or that they'd choose to exhibit their awesome "power" by putting on burlesque shows? Live and learn!

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:18 pm 
Offline
Drinks Wild Tofurkey
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:23 pm
Posts: 2930
lavawitch wrote:

One of my new GED students was raving about the book too. I feel like I need to carry around a stack of well written, quality erotica to give to these people.



This is awesome. You would be very memorable!

_________________
Mal: We're still flying.
Simon: That's not much.
Mal: It's enough.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:37 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:03 pm
Posts: 235
Location: Upstate NY
Tofulish wrote:
Someone I know is doing a female empowerment seminar.

(pic not included)

I hate that the image accompanying the list of "what it is to be female" because it seems to say - you have have this wide diversity of characteristics, but not a diversity of body types. I thought it was an ad for a strip club at first...

And what the heck does it mean to be "embodied" - aren't we all embodied?

ETA: oops sorry for the large picture.


Such a strange list.

_________________
Never trust a bunny.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:10 pm 
Offline
Mispronounces Daiya

Joined: Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 am
Posts: 1389
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Tofulish wrote:
I am fiercely eating lo mein right now!

emmalv wrote:
Maybe it was because I was just in the pet forum, but yeah, Desdemona, my knee jerk reaction to "expressed" was as in "she needs her anal glands expressed."

I laughed so hard <3 Especially because of the way she is standing in the clear glass stripper heels.

emmalv wrote:
What was your response when this person presented this to you?


My head exploded, and I ran over to the PPK to see if I am out of line, bc all the comments on this picture were of the "You Go Girl!" variety.

There are a bunch of "Embrace Your Inner Female Goddess" seminars, that make a ton of money on having women feel sexy, and I generally think that is awesome. But a bunch of my friends are doing them, and there seems to be a particular way to release your inner goddess, which involves a particular modality of femininity, which seems to be the one that is perpetuated by the patriarchy and its ad agencies to make women feel insecure and buy more stuff. Why can't it be "Release Your Inner Goddess and Watch Her Ravage Ice Cream And Fart In The Couch Cushions?"


Well I think its safe to assume that no one here thinks you are out of line. Its nice to have a place like here to go to with this rage-y stuff. As craiger_ny says, that is an odd list. And I agree; it very much reads like a list influenced by what men think women want to think about themselves while at the same time assumes women are dumb and just like buzzwords that sound good yet make no sense within any sort of context. And let's not forget that goddess = honoring the world's oldest profession.

Men (and when I say "men" I really am getting at the patriarchal culture) don't acknowledge that women fart, so your seminar is just out of the question. However, should you decide to run this seminar, I will consider a vacation to the east coast to attend as long as it is being held in the meeting room across from the Stripper Goddess one. And as long as there is ice cream. And maybe wine too.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 1:00 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: A New England
I think that most of our discussion about the Steubenville rape case took place in this thread, so I hope this is the right place to post then news that four more people (all adults, including the school superintendent) have been indicted.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/sns- ... 6429.story

So that's good news. Unfortunately, there's also bad news of very a similar type. What exactly the hell is it with football players apparently having carte blanche to do whatever they like to whomever they like without any consequences?

http://msmagazine.com/blog/2013/11/22/s ... ball-town/

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:57 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3566
Location: Smugville, CA
I was just reading about the Steubenville indictments! I'm going to ignore all other bad news and focus on that, because, DAMN.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 3:04 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19027
Location: Cliffbar NJ
Hurrah for the outcome in Steubenville!

I am going to rant that I am really annoyed by women who act as apologists for misogynists, always saying things like "Oh no, even if he says terrible things, he does all these great things for women's causes and he says everything with a twinkle in his eye, and he definitely doesn't want anyone to think he actually believes it!" I got into a stupid FB argument with a woman who is in her 40s, who said she is and has been a huge Howard Stern fan since the 80s and that he really isn't a misogynist, and has gotten so much better over the years, and oh look Robin Quivers! And then I posted the section of an interview where he slams Lena Dunham for being fat and ugly, and says that looking at her makes him feel like he is being raped. I don't care how many good things he does off the air, on-the-air he makes his money from misogyny and his listening audience is never happier than when he is slamming or objectifying a woman. Grrr.

And I can't even with the women defending Gary Yourofsky's statements that people wearing fur should be raped. Why can't we have an A/R movement that stands for non-violence towards all and doesn't tolerate misogyny? Why are people who point out misogyny told to sit down and shut up for the good of the movement, rather than having the speaker take ownership of his statements and apologize for them?

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 4:20 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: A New England
Tofulish wrote:
Hurrah for the outcome in Steubenville!

I am going to rant that I am really annoyed by women who act as apologists for misogynists, always saying things like "Oh no, even if he says terrible things, he does all these great things for women's causes and he says everything with a twinkle in his eye, and he definitely doesn't want anyone to think he actually believes it!" I got into a stupid FB argument with a woman who is in her 40s, who said she is and has been a huge Howard Stern fan since the 80s and that he really isn't a misogynist, and has gotten so much better over the years, and oh look Robin Quivers! And then I posted the section of an interview where he slams Lena Dunham for being fat and ugly, and says that looking at her makes him feel like he is being raped. I don't care how many good things he does off the air, on-the-air he makes his money from misogyny and his listening audience is never happier than when he is slamming or objectifying a woman. Grrr.

And I can't even with the women defending Gary Yourofsky's statements that people wearing fur should be raped. Why can't we have an A/R movement that stands for non-violence towards all and doesn't tolerate misogyny? Why are people who point out misogyny told to sit down and shut up for the good of the movement, rather than having the speaker take ownership of his statements and apologize for them?
Hellz yes to all of this.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:08 pm 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3717
Location: Bella Napoli
Reading up on our potential new assignment.
Quote:
During your stay in Naples you will notice a difference from living in the U.S. Because of the presence of immigrant prostitutes in a few areas surrounding Naples, some female U.S. personnel have reported being verbally harassed while off base.


NO I DO NOT THINK THAT IS THE REASON.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:28 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: A New England
GAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2013/11/24/us ... women.html

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:43 pm 
Offline
Semen Strong
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:10 pm
Posts: 19027
Location: Cliffbar NJ
OMG Desdemona, that case makes me so sick! I cannot believe that a NY family court actually ignored the fact that for purposes of jurisdiction, you use where the child is born and it is clear that fetuses are not children. Emily Bazelon has a good run down of the legal reasoning in that custody case. http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... uling.html

But either way, I cannot believe that a court would take a six month old from his mother and give him to a father he had never met (and whom the mother barely knew) who lives across the country, essentially because the father has more money and to punish the mother for relocating while pregnant. Because we all know that once you are carrying a man's child, he gets to make decisions about your life for the next 9 months. And the fact that Bode-Miller's new wife made it clear that she thinks she is a better mother because she is at home, while Sara McKenna is a student and relies on childcare is reprehensible. I am so glad that McKenna was able to get pro bono representation for her appeal, because I cannot imagine what that custody fight would have otherwise done to her financial situation. Its just mindblowing and horrible.

annak wrote:
Reading up on our potential new assignment.
Quote:
During your stay in Naples you will notice a difference from living in the U.S. Because of the presence of immigrant prostitutes in a few areas surrounding Naples, some female U.S. personnel have reported being verbally harassed while off base.


NO I DO NOT THINK THAT IS THE REASON.


Congratulations on your potential new assignment!

I was harassed in Italy when we went there on a family vacation when I was 12! It was a weird introduction into being a woman. In Austria no one ever really bothered me at that age. Pretty sure it has everything to do with local culture and nothing to do with immigrant anythings.

_________________
My oven is bigger on the inside, and it produces lots of wibbly wobbly, cake wakey... stuff. - The PoopieB.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:27 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 12:39 am
Posts: 607
Location: Sweden
lavawitch wrote:
I feel like I need to carry around a stack of well written, quality erotica to give to these people.


Where is this well written erotica? I need some!

_________________
I tend to hook up with people who give me chocolate, but I fail to see how this is a bad thing./tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:54 am 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12093
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
Check out the Smart bisques, Trashy Books blog. It covers all of the romance subgenres.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:41 am 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: A New England
Tofulish wrote:
OMG Desdemona, that case makes me so sick! I cannot believe that a NY family court actually ignored the fact that for purposes of jurisdiction, you use where the child is born and it is clear that fetuses are not children. Emily Bazelon has a good run down of the legal reasoning in that custody case. http://www.slate.com/articles/double_x/ ... uling.html

But either way, I cannot believe that a court would take a six month old from his mother and give him to a father he had never met (and whom the mother barely knew) who lives across the country, essentially because the father has more money and to punish the mother for relocating while pregnant. Because we all know that once you are carrying a man's child, he gets to make decisions about your life for the next 9 months. And the fact that Bode-Miller's new wife made it clear that she thinks she is a better mother because she is at home, while Sara McKenna is a student and relies on childcare is reprehensible. I am so glad that McKenna was able to get pro bono representation for her appeal, because I cannot imagine what that custody fight would have otherwise done to her financial situation. Its just mindblowing and horrible.

The potential ramifications of a precedent like the CA court's ruling are terrifying; characterizing the mother's decision to move to NY for college as an "appropriation of the child while in utero" that was "irresponsible [and] reprehensible" chills my blood. This type of thinking is straight out of The Handmaid's Tale, and essentially reduces a full-grown woman to the status of an incubator without personal agency, subjectivity, or civil rights every time a sperm happens to meet an egg. I don't think anyone - certainly not anyone with a uterus - wants to live in that world.

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:32 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am
Posts: 1088
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Tofulish wrote:
And I can't even with the women defending Gary Yourofsky's statements that people wearing fur should be raped. Why can't we have an A/R movement that stands for non-violence towards all and doesn't tolerate misogyny? Why are people who point out misogyny told to sit down and shut up for the good of the movement, rather than having the speaker take ownership of his statements and apologize for them?


I'm so shocked and appalled at this. What the hell is wrong with people?!

_________________
My blog about travel, campaigning, activism, vegan food and stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:10 pm 
Offline
Flounceiad 2011
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 8:26 pm
Posts: 5495
Location: A New England
"Financial independence is a great thing, but you can’t take your paycheck to bed with you. And there’s nothing empowering about being beholden to an employer when what you really want is to have a baby. That’s dependency of a different sort."

Be advised that you should probably take several deep, cleansing breaths and put away any and all sharp objects before reading further.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/ ... -husbands/

_________________
Nothing is safe from weiners in my neighborhood... ~ crowderpea
I didn't embarrass him by saying anything about wanking ~ 8ball
"SMLOUNCE!" ~ smurfterrobang?!
http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:14 pm 
Offline
Lime and a Coconut
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 3566
Location: Smugville, CA
Desdemona wrote:
"Financial independence is a great thing, but you can’t take your paycheck to bed with you. And there’s nothing empowering about being beholden to an employer when what you really want is to have a baby. That’s dependency of a different sort."

Be advised that you should probably take several deep, cleansing breaths and put away any and all sharp objects before reading further.

http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2013/11/ ... -husbands/


All I saw was 'foxnews.com' and 'opinion' and I was out.

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
Too much woo, you guys. Too much woo ~Tofulish
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4234 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 126, 127, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132 ... 170  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer