| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 1:25 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 164  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:41 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I wear leggings as pants as long as my crotch is covered. It can be just barely covered, but covered all the same.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I wear them under skirts or under pants as an extra later. When I was younger I'd wear them as pants but only with a top that went over my butt and crotch. Otherwise I feel too naked.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:01 am 
WRETCHED

I don't think I've ever seen anyone wear leggings as pants? I mean the closest thing I see are people wearing yoga pants but those aren't tight fitting throughout. Some of the pictures I saw when I googled showed things that differed from looking like exercise-wear to things that looked like pantyhose where underwear (or lack of it) was clearly visible.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:01 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I see people wearing leggins as pants all the time, but it's always young skinny girls and I get jealous because I can't wear leggins without people telling me I'm disgusting.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:05 am 
Semen Strong

I liked this article "The Day I Taught Not To Rape" - a piece about a teacher discussing a poem and the nature of consent. Its really interesting to remember that we need to have the conversations, and can't just dismiss them because they're uncomfortable.

Quote:
If you want to keep teens from being rapists, you can no longer assume that they know how. You HAVE to talk about it. There is no longer a choice. It is no longer enough to talk to our kids about the mechanics of sex, it probably never was. We have to talk about consent, what it means, and how you are sure you have it. We have to teach clearly and boldly that consent is (in the words of Dianna E. Anderson) an enthusiastic, unequivocal YES!

http://accidentaldevotional.com/2013/03 ... t-to-rape/

I think about some of my friends who were raped when they were in their early teens, and so often they were really confused about what had happened to them or what they could do about it, and ended up doing nothing, but turning it inwards One of my friends has a teenage daughter on FB, and her male friends use the word "rape" so casually that its pretty clear that they are learning about it somewhere, and so we need to make sure that we're teaching them properly, and teaching both the girls and the boys.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:40 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

We can't do that because having that discussion involves the assumption that it is ok for a teen to say yes and consent. So that discussion will just result in all teens having all sex, all the time. Better to just never say anything about sex, because then teens won't know it exists. Shhh!

Kind of off this topic though, sex education is only going to get worse. My area has a good, sensible program (other parts of the state are at the mercy of religious homeschool associations with a lot of money and lawyers). But, sex/ family education is NOT in the grade level standards for state testing. Guess which topics get dropped from the curriculum in favor of more test review that is tied to things like federal funding and teacher evaluation?

Until and unless parents take responsibility for sex education and until/unless our society takes religion and flavor of the month morality out of the sex ed curriculum, we aren't going accomplish anything. We need to make quality sex education a nonnegotiable priority but I don't see that happening within the next 15-20 years. The political will is lacking on both sides.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:14 am 
Level 7 Vegan

One of my professors now looks directly at me and winks when he "jokingly" makes sexist remarks, like "we all know that sometimes women say 'no' when they really mean 'try harder!'" fork off, dude. I'm so glad this semester is almost over.

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:45 am 
Semen Strong

How far we didn't come in 2013: http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/12/05/how ... one-video/

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:12 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

Jigglypuff wrote:
One of my professors now looks directly at me and winks when he "jokingly" makes sexist remarks, like "we all know that sometimes women say 'no' when they really mean 'try harder!'" fork off, dude. I'm so glad this semester is almost over.

Uh, gross!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:39 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Wow. You should report him. Or at least give him hell in the class evaluations.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:43 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I really liked the piece by Ms. Norman about talking to kids about rape. Now i just hope that somehow discussions like that will become standard in every classroom.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:05 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Fee wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
Uh, gross!
annabazoo wrote:
Wow. You should report him. Or at least give him hell in the class evaluations.
Both. You can be pretty sure you're not the only student he does this to, and he may be doing something even worse.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:20 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

ndpittman wrote:
Ugh. I'm so sorry that happened blondie. I had to take a couple of very early morning cabs to the airport when I traveled for work, and I had a couple if real creeps. One made mention that my vagina was probably tight because I didn't have kids and my husband probably is happy. I no longer make conversation in cabs.

That driver's really disrespectful.

Helen Keller

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:15 am 
Semen Strong

This was a great piece on all the lack of support a victim faced in reporting a sexual assault.
http://sexologist.tumblr.com/post/69181 ... o-report-a

I really liked the discussion on how to support someone as a friend.
Quote:
It’s amazing that as common as sexual assault is and as many people we all know who have experienced it, people are largely still clueless about how to be a friend to someone who has been victimized. For the record, creating a hierarchy of assaults of which you have decided their assault is not the worst, and telling them how they should best handle their trauma based on how you would, especially when you have never actually experienced sexual trauma = bad.

And reading how she was treated by the police, who were supposedly trained in dealing with sexual assault survivors, makes it really clear that a lot more education is needed. Here the victim was with a professional who was there to support her, and was still treated with disrespect, and I can only imagine how much harder it would have been had she been alone or more vulnerable.

At the end of the day, as Lavawitch says, when we cut sex ed programs, we refuse to discuss sexual assault with our children (especially with our boys and men), and we don't actively shift the conversation from victim blaming to support, then we create the environment which makes it even more difficult for victims to come forth and get the support they need to heal, and often can be traumatic to a victim.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:35 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Someone that I know posted this on facebook: http://elitedaily.com/life/the-100-thin ... o-realize/

I knew that the list was going to be great when the first one is that you need an hour to get ready before going to work or class, and the third is that shaving is "more than a suggestion." The only response I have is loud, angry yelling.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Ugh. So much to hate..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Wow! number 90 makes me want to punch the whole list in the face.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Someone needs to be grounded. Again.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

That yahoo should clearly not be making a list about things you need to know! The list should be titled "how to have a miserable life; worry about these 100 things"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:15 pm 
***LIES!!!***

LazySmurf wrote:
That yahoo should clearly not be making a list about things you need to know! The list should be titled "how to have a miserable life; worry about these 100 things"

Yes.

And it does not take me an hour to get ready for anything, even with a toddler in tow. So there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:26 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I didn't make it to number 90 before deciding I'd rather go shave my legs than waste time on the rest of it.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:54 pm 
Nooch of Earl

It *does* take me an hour to get ready, but that's because there are usual several interludes to make sure that assorted household creatures have put their feces in the correct receptacle and clean up after them if they haven't…plus assorted immediate needs ("CIRCLE CACKERS!!! CIRCLE CACKERS!!" (ritz) "Butter POON! Butter POON!" (spoonful of peanut butter) "APPUH SICES! APPUH SICES!" "GABBAS ON DA TEE!!" "STORIES!" "PAINTING!!!") Plus the inevitable sock color crisis.

When it's just me around I'm out the door in about 15 minutes and can't figure out how that happened.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:00 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
It *does* take me an hour to get ready, but that's because there are usual several interludes to make sure that assorted household creatures have put their feces in the correct receptacle and clean up after them if they haven't…plus assorted immediate needs ("CIRCLE CACKERS!!! CIRCLE CACKERS!!" (ritz) "Butter POON! Butter POON!" (spoonful of peanut butter) "APPUH SICES! APPUH SICES!" "GABBAS ON DA TEE!!" "STORIES!" "PAINTING!!!") Plus the inevitable sock color crisis.

When it's just me around I'm out the door in about 15 minutes and can't figure out how that happened.

Same here! No sock color crises though - just a cackling small naked person running circles around the living room and threatening to pee on the cats and dog. "ME PEE ..... ON DOG!"

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:01 pm 
Nooch of Earl

Run, Cuddles!!! RUUUUN!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:13 pm 
Semen Strong

annak wrote:
Run, CPuddles!!! RUUUUN!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4084 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 129, 130, 131, 132, 133, 134, 135 ... 164  Next