| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 165  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:30 pm 
WRETCHED

And in terms of a hostile environment, this story comes to mind where a (male) speaker at a conference attacked another (female) speaker and the end result was she was shamed for speaking out. Sexual harassment at tech confernces is actually pretty common.

http://georgiaweidman.com/wordpress/gue ... mess-with/

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:46 pm 
Nooch of Earl

https://medium.com/p/a5e5f4e9132f

This article - on white male privilege and bending the rules to get what you want - really hit home for me and articulated this issue so well. My own husband (who doesn't *mean* badly) isn't as bad as the guy in the original article but will definitely challenge people on rules or act dumb, and it more often than not gets him what he wants, infuriatingly enough. Just last week we were dropping V off at the childcare center and there was a petty officer and his family who came in who didn't vaccinate (I know, I know, not my own choice but it was just for an evening and it was last minute to be scrambling for a sitter) and they basically turned them away because they were supposed to have a doctor's note saying they didn't vaccinate according to the center's policy.. Well my husband, who was pulling rank a little bit, starts asking what instruction they're following and to talk to a supervisor and low and behold 5 minutes later it's fine, it's only a few hours, let them in. I explained to him that it was probably no coincidence that when the white, male, and in that situation no small part midlevel officer challenges something all of a sudden it's ok to bend the rules, and he kind of agreed but I'm not sure really GOT it. I think this article really lays that out well!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:26 pm 
WRETCHED

Not quite related but I was whining a bit about jury duty, I know, I know. The chances I'll be picked are slim anyway. I asked my husband jokingly why don't they pick him? (His chances are nil due to his law degree) his answer was that he was exactly what they needed, another white male juror. Too true.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:07 pm 
Semen Strong

Ah the famous "butt pose" for female superheros.
http://www.themarysue.com/empire-cover-black-widow/

Love Kevin Bolk's take on the Avenger's poster
Quote:
This is a parody of this promo art for the Avengers movie. I couldn't help but notice that in most of the ad material, the guys are all in heroic stances but Black Widow is almost always in an impractical, curved-spine "booty shot" pose. Figured I'd flip it around for my lady friends out there. Seemed only fair.

http://kevinbolk.deviantart.com/art/Ave ... -270937785

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

linanil wrote:
Not quite related but I was whining a bit about jury duty, I know, I know. The chances I'll be picked are slim anyway. I asked my husband jokingly why don't they pick him? (His chances are nil due to his law degree) his answer was that he was exactly what they needed, another white male juror. Too true.

My dad got called for jury duty the day before his very major surgery. So instead of relaxing, he has to go to the courthouse for 8 hrs. He doesn't meet any qualifications for medical delay or dismissal. Those are surprisingly strict. With his medications, it will be pretty difficult for him. I'm pretty mad that being 75 and about to go into a major surgery and an 8 day hospital stay is not enough for a delay at least.

They should call me instead!

I love that butt pose poster. It reminds me of when I was beta testing the game Zeus. The original art had very top heavy goddesses. Poor Athena was so ridiculous, she made Lara Croft look like an A cup. We complained and they toned that shiitake down for final release.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:24 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

fork. Another horrific gang rape + death case out of India: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-25590769

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:30 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Jesus Christ on a bike.

http://jezebel.com/texas-will-keep-a-de ... 1494954930

http://www.xojane.com/issues/texas-marlise-munoz

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:41 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

But no sympathy if you are the grieving family of a brain dead child, clinging to any scrap of hope.

Apparently, several other states have similar laws that allow for overlooking living wills if a woman is pregnant. I could understand a legal fight if perhaps her husband/baby's father wanted to try to save his child, but in the case, he and her parents are fighting the state to just leave them all alone. And they don't even know if the fetus is viable yet.

It really is incomprehensible.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:50 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

I'm basically speechless with horror. The woman is dead. Her family needs to be allowed to say goodbye and grieve, and the state is forcing them to stand by while it turns her into an inanimate (literally) incubation device for a fetus whose surviving parent explicitly stated it should be allowed to die with its mother. This is mind-blowingly dystopian in so many ways…and as the xojane post notes, the family could wind up being stuck with the bill at the end of it all.
Quote:
"Nothing in chapter 166 provides for the state of Texas to pick up the bill when it requires the family of a pregnant patient to keep her alive until the fetus can be delivered. It costs about $4000 to run life support machines for one person each day -- plus a ton of other hospital fees"...If you follow the logic here, it stands to reason that the deceased woman's insurance wouldn't pick up the bill either, as she is technically deceased. That's what brain dead folks are -- they're sadly, horrifically, tragically dead. The astronomical cost of care provided against the family's wishes could very well fall right onto the family themselves.
This is just sick, sick, sick.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:08 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I was wondering if they could move the Texas lady to another state to have her taken off life support?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:15 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

It is very sick. The family is also going to have to grieve for the baby, and for Maralise again.

Our society does a lot of forked up stuff in the name of "ethics."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:39 pm 
Impressive boner

If she was deprived of oxygen for about an hour surely so was the baby.... This is one of the most horrifying things I've read.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:07 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

8ball wrote:
If she was deprived of oxygen for about an hour surely so was the baby.... This is one of the most horrifying things I've read.
I know. I am completely freaked out by this, both for this specific woman and her family and for the implications viz. what xojane refers to as "treating women like Tupperware" (although "crock pots" might be more apposite).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:08 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

LazySmurf wrote:
I was wondering if they could move the Texas lady to another state to have her taken off life support?

On npr they were saying hospitals/facilities in other states wouldn't take her because doctors won't treat corpses.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:38 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mollyjade wrote:
LazySmurf wrote:

On npr they were saying hospitals/facilities in other states wouldn't take her because doctors won't treat corpses.
Oh, Jesus. It's like a horror story.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:44 pm 
Semen Strong

The first of the Steubenville rapists, Ma'lik Richmond, who was convicted and sentenced to juvenile detention was released yesterday. Predictably, his statement on release did not include any mention of the victim or the events of that night or the campaign of intimidation and bullying that followed. It just talked about how hard the process has been for him and his family, and all the strength it took for them to get through and the gratitude they feel for their supporters.

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/07/our_jus ... n_apology/

Quote:
If Richmond ended his time in juvenile detention without a sincere understanding of his actions and the conditions under which sexual violence is condoned and repeated in our culture, then justice has truly failed — not only his victim, but Richmond himself.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:04 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Why would he feel any remorse? The town and most media made it clear that they were on his side all along.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:56 pm 
Semen Strong

Well, as the article says, its kind of the point of rehabilitation, right?

But I hear you, and I think that is part of the problem. If there is such a strong culture that blames the victim and supports rapists, how do we really expect anything to change going forward?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 8:36 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I can easily see how all those boys feel that they were victimized and unjustly punished. They were raised that way and those feelings have been thoroughly validated.

On a much smaller scale, I've seen this at school: I'm the evil bisque for turning in a kid to the school honor council for using their phone to cheat on a test. The kid was actually not as upset with me as his/her parents. (the parents suggested that if I had done x, y, or z, their precious kid wouldn't have *had* to cheat) This was not at my current school. Anyway, end result was that I was required to give a retake for full credit at a time convenient (for the kid, not me) to stay after school.

They need a good dose of reality, and I'd say community service, but community service shouldn't be a dumping ground for jerkoff crassholes.

On some small level, I feel a little sorry for those boys because they are a product of their environment and all the adults in their lives owed them more. We can hope they do gain some humanity and compassion before they hurt somebody else. I expect one or more will be in trouble again.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:01 pm 
Semen Strong

Quote:
Anyway, end result was that I was required to give a retake for full credit at a time convenient (for the kid, not me) to stay after school.

Wow. That is ridiculous. There were no other consequences at all? I wish we had a Teacher's thread about all these kind of things, because the different articles and your stories really make me worry about sending L to school. I cannot even imagine being okay with sending the message that cheating is okay.

I don't know if they will be in trouble again - I think the whole school and town just learned how to conceal evidence better next time.

I still feel so sorry for the victim. It sounds like such a betrayal. http://www.thewire.com/national/2013/03 ... ony/63192/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:00 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I can't imagine. Knowing that nobody is paying for or learning from what they did has to make healing so much harder. She seems to be an unbelievably strong person. I think she will be ok in the end. Eventually those boys will leave town and I just can't imagine them staying out of trouble anymore than I expect George Zimmerman to do so. I also don't think it will take long.

Honestly, the schools and teachers aren't bad. The problem is people expect schools and teachers to do and be everything. Kids who get support at home are always going to do well. It's at home where most of the respect and desire for education and learning happens. If parents set an example that education isn't very important and the kids rarely, if ever, see them reading a book or learning/doing things, the kids aren't very likely to read or value school.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:41 am 
Semen Strong

And in related news, Daisy Coleman, the rape victim who was harassed by the town of Maryville is still being harassed and bullied and was just hospitalized for another suicide attempt.
http://www.kansascity.com/2014/01/07/47 ... er-of.html

Quote:
According to Bourland, the incident stemmed from online harassment that Daisy Coleman, 16, received after attending a party over the weekend. A disparaging Facebook post generated additional harsh attacks, said Bourland, and “it just escalated from there.”

Daisy Coleman’s case gained national notoriety following an October story in The Star detailing the alleged sexual assault and the harassment that Coleman and her family received after making the allegations.

In the story, Daisy Coleman’s family said she previously had attempted suicide twice in the wake of that harassment, much of it on social media, some at Maryville High School, where she was a freshman.

The case centered on a January 2012 house party in which Daisy Coleman and a friend — ages 14 and 13 at the time — alleged they were sexually assaulted at the home of Matthew Barnett, then a 17-year-old Maryville High senior and the grandson of a former state representative.

Barnett was arrested on charges of sexual assault and endangering the welfare of a child, the latter for allegedly leaving Coleman incapacitated by alcohol and barefoot in her yard in 30-degree temperatures.

Also, 17-year-old Jordan Zech was charged with sexual exploitation of a minor, which involved using a friend’s cellphone to film a portion of the encounter between Coleman and Barnett. (The case of a 15-year-old boy, who admitted having intercourse with the younger girl despite her repeated refusals, was handled in juvenile court.)

Two months later, however, Nodaway County prosecutor Robert Rice dropped the felony charges against the two older youths, citing a lack of evidence and, later, a lack of cooperation on the part of the alleged victims’ families.

And the prosecutors are looking into harassment of the younger girl in the incident - because someone left three skinned bunnies by her house.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:03 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Cases like this make me wish I had huge gobs of money and could help the family move and/or get to a new school.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:24 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

youguysyouguysyouguysyouguys.

This article is just amazing: http://www.psmag.com/navigation/health- ... net-72170/

Be warned, it contains some upsetting descriptions of trollery, rape and death threats, etc. But I still felt hopeful reading it because I feel like we're on the verge of a societal shift, one where women are possibly harassed online less and where cyberstalking and harassment is actually taken seriously by law enforcement and social media companies.

I really identified with a lot of what the author and her various interviewees described around law enforcement's complete ineptitude/utter lack of shiitakes to give when it comes to following up on harassment. I endured about a year of telephone harassment at work from an unhinged former client and despite filing for and being granted a civil harassment order like the one mentioned by the author, and filing over half a dozen police reports for subsequent violations of that order, calling the District Attorney directly, and going to the media, the harasser was never arrested or charged.

ETA: in the words of Lindy West, after you read this article, "then tell everyone you know to read it and then tell them again."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:11 pm 
Nooch of Earl

http://www.salon.com/2014/01/09/alleged ... t_charges/

It's hard to raise a daughter in a world where this sort of thing happens, and harder to lie to her that if she's hurt someone will take it seriously.

ETA: which is not to say anything specific about the merits of this particular case, but it's one in a long line...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4116 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 131, 132, 133, 134, 135, 136, 137 ... 165  Next