| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I definitely think that white privelege is something white people need to be made aware of in a more concrete way. We assume that things are different than how they really are and often, it takes a real dressing down for us to realize how racist society and its institutions still are. I will start that thread.

Back to the rapist/drunk thing - I was assaulted when I had been binge drinking. At the time I was ashamed and angry with myself, and blamed myself. I was in an environment that was misogynistic to the max, and the person who did it would have never called himself a rapist. It has been a lot of years, experience in life and learning that made me realize it was rape. The only good that came of it was I did quit drinking which was something I needed to do. But blaming myself was definitely counterproductive.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:37 pm 
Venomous Head of Veganism

Curating a thread about white privilege? I mean, not trying to squash the discussion but there's got to be a more organic and, uh, engaging way to discuss this. I'm just gonna cut to the pass, get rid of that thread, and hopefully a thread that fosters discussion will emerge. Just remember that there will be white people there to ruin it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:45 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I bet it would have lasted if a white male had created that thread! *kidding of course*

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 6:24 pm 
Saggy Butt

While I understand and agree that the thread that was created could have gotten ugly, I think it's a shame not to be able to address it at all. How about a thread where people can at least post links to resources for understanding/identifying privilege? With the express instruction that it is NOT a venue for people to go on about "well that doesn't apply to ME because..."

Imma create it. If any of the mods still think it's a bad idea, please go ahead and delete it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:09 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'm sorry if I offended anyone with how I started the original thread. I was not trying to be obnoxious or anything. My apologies.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:29 pm 
Impressive boner

I've recently become very aware of how a male work colleague treats me. If I express an opinion on a subject he shuts me down by retorting with "Yeah, but the point is...." and carrying on with his opinion as though I went completely away from whatever subject he thought we should be discussing. If I disagree with him it becomes a problem. Lately he's been punctuating every discussion with a negative, almost derogatory, statement. On Friday it happened two to three times. He's trying to be funny and familiar but it's not working. He reminds me of my father because of all of this and more.

I need to have a discussion with him about this before it becomes a bigger problem.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:26 am 

Arlyss wrote:
I'm sorry if I offended anyone with how I started the original thread. I was not trying to be obnoxious or anything. My apologies.

I don't think it was stopped for that. Worry about a thread that might start fights combined with one person already being annoyed at the spelling ended it. Nothing to do with you personally.

If people are going to say "that doesn't apply to me" then they need the thread. The whole point is that even if you're not part of the problem you get to live within that privilege and should recognize that.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:48 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Sen. Steve Martin sees women as "hosts" rather than fully autonomous humans. Fun times! http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... women.html

Psssht. I bet if comedian Steve Martin were a senator, he wouldn't be triflin' with my ladybits.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:37 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Sen. Steve Martin sees women as "hosts" rather than fully autonomous humans. Fun times! http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... women.html

Psssht. I bet if comedian Steve Martin were a senator, he wouldn't be triflin' with my ladybits.
For real. He wasn't that wild and crazy a guy!

This (even crazier) Martin's thesis also raises the logical question: if the woman is the "host," what does that make the fetus? Hmmmmmm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:42 pm 
A Bad Person

The fetus is a guest in the womb. The fetus is incubating in the host's womb party. You wouldn't murder a party guest, would you?

Or, the fetus is a parasite. A parasite leeching precious nutrients off of a viable host. You wouldn't murder a parasite, would you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:55 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

brian wrote:
The fetus is a guest in the womb. The fetus is incubating in the host's womb party. You wouldn't murder a party guest, would you?

Or, the fetus is a parasite. A parasite leeching precious nutrients off of a viable host. You wouldn't murder a parasite, would you?

Fetus is such a cold, clinical word. I prefer Wombworm.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:58 pm 
Semen Strong

Wombmate? Wombat? Wombabalubahawombamboom (by the time you're done saying it its too late for an abortion).

I loved the Wombles. Maybe that would be a nice soft word?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:05 pm 
A Bad Person

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
brian wrote:

Fetus is such a cold, clinical word. I prefer Wombworm.

The wombworm is a parasite.

Yes, I like that much more!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:09 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

THERE'S WOMB AT THE TOP!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:16 pm 
Lubes With Earth Balance

why did i read the facebook post in question just as i was about to go to bed?

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:53 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

So apparently the city of Glendale, Calif. has a monument in a public park to the 'comfort women' who were kidnapped and raped by Japanese soldiers during WWII occupations of China and Korea.

And apparently a law firm has filed a suit against Glendale because the memorial presents "an unfairly one-sided portrayal of the historical and political debate surrounding comfort women." Because all too often the rapist's voice is not recorded in history.

The Legal Satyricon has an excellent and very thorough piece about the lawsuit, and he pretty much sums it all up here:

Quote:
...I have never seen anything this dishonorable with a law firm’s name attached to it. I’ve seen dumber shiitake. I’ve seen more frivolous shiitake. I’ve seen more unethical shiitake. But, never seen anything this foul or shameful with a law firm’s name attached to it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 pm 
Semen Strong

Quote:
Judge Christopher McFadden overturned a jury’s guilty verdicts against William Jeffrey Dumas, who was convicted of repeatedly raping a 24-year-old woman with Downs Syndrome. The judges reason for overturning the conviction were based on personal feeling and not the law. Judge McFadden stated "a new trial was necessary because the unnamed victim waited a day before reporting the rape, and because she did not behave like a rape victim" .

Judge McFadden's ruling shows a complete lack of understanding of how people who have had sexual violence perpetuated against them behave, everyone behaves differently. Also since the victim suffered from Downs Syndrome, which can result in mild to severe cognitive issues, she would most likely not react the same as someone without Downs Syndrome.

Sign the petition if you think that Judge McFadden should be impeached. http://www.change.org/petitions/georgia ... r-mcfadden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:11 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Signed. (Seriously: the fork?!)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:02 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Jesus. I think I just saw one of the most disgusting things I've ever seen in my life. A UK bookmaker, Paddy Power, is taking bets on the outcome of the Oscar Pistorius trial. Whoever thought betting on the murder of a domestic violence victim is OK, and everyone involved from the idea to the execution (no pun intended), is a forking scumbag.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:51 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

This piece, about the challenges women face in STEM fields, written by an organic chemist who was pretty much chased out of both academia and industry. The quote bellow is a pretty good sum of the rhetoric around women, STEM, etc. etc. http://modelviewculture.com/pieces/i-di ... o-lean-out

Quote:
When a pipeline leaks, we don't blame the water. We fix the pipe and design the next one to leak less. Why do we blame women who leave STEM fields?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 1:36 pm 

So I read the article Lutin posted, but then I read a linked article "Is it cold in here?" about the chilling effect. Why can't I stop reading the comments?! This "elevatorgate" thing is fascinating. Here's the except from the article:

'Towards the end of the video, she casually related her discomfort at being approached in an elevator at 4 AM by an intoxicated Irish guy, who asked her back to his room “for coffee.” Watson wasn’t hysterical, or raving, or even angry. (You can see for yourself here. It starts at the 4:30 mark.) She simply said, “Look, guys — don’t do that. It makes me very uncomfortable,” and briefly outlined the reasons why.'

I've never really been a comment reader. I guess it's nice that few are just yelling stupid things even if so many of the arguments are hyperbolic and bad. Is this topic already covered and I've just missed it on ppk? I think the guys are all upset because the example is where a guy may not know he's doing anything wrong, yet he's supposed to apologize. I think it's right in that wheelhouse of privilege where the guys don't understand their position.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:41 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Tigon wrote:
So I read the article Lutin posted, but then I read a linked article "Is it cold in here?" about the chilling effect. Why can't I stop reading the comments?! This "elevatorgate" thing is fascinating. Here's the except from the article:

'Towards the end of the video, she casually related her discomfort at being approached in an elevator at 4 AM by an intoxicated Irish guy, who asked her back to his room “for coffee.” Watson wasn’t hysterical, or raving, or even angry. (You can see for yourself here. It starts at the 4:30 mark.) She simply said, “Look, guys — don’t do that. It makes me very uncomfortable,” and briefly outlined the reasons why.'

I've never really been a comment reader. I guess it's nice that few are just yelling stupid things even if so many of the arguments are hyperbolic and bad. Is this topic already covered and I've just missed it on ppk? I think the guys are all upset because the example is where a guy may not know he's doing anything wrong, yet he's supposed to apologize. I think it's right in that wheelhouse of privilege where the guys don't understand their position.

I don't think Elevatorgate was talked about extensively on the PPK but it's a good few years old...there's lots of good stuff out there though.

I would also say, though, that any guy who thinks that getting into an elevator at 4 am intoxicated with a woman who had made a public speech asking male con attendants to not treat women like walking fucksticks and asking her in for "coffee" is being willfully obtuse if he doesn't get why that wasn't cool. And she wasn't asking for an apology. She was simply saying "hey, guys, don't do this." The epic meltdown that followed after that was all sorts of bullshiitake.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:40 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Links for those of us too senile to remember, please?

I can GTS: http://freethoughtkampala.wordpress.com ... vatorgate/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:43 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Links for those of us too senile to remember, please?

I can GTS: http://freethoughtkampala.wordpress.com ... vatorgate/

Here's a post by Watson herself that also links to a variety of other pieces about Elevatorgate. The piece I linked is in response to Richard Dawkins' absurd response to her initial complaint.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 6:58 pm 
Impressive boner

I do the majority of the admin work, organizing and managing of the band but whenever a third party needs a bit of extra motivation to hit a deadline they don't pull their weight unless I ask Mr8 to contact them, even if it's me making payment for the work. I'm considering experimenting with not signing emails with my name, just to see what happens.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 139, 140, 141, 142, 143, 144, 145 ... 183  Next