| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 170  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:23 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Spanging hippie in Berkeley:"spare any change, pretty lady?"
Me: "I don't really appreciate that."
Hippie: "not all men are bad, you know."
THANK YOU! THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING ON MY APPEARANCE AND THEN MANSPLAINING TO ME THAT YOU ARE A NICE GUY™. I totally want to give you some on my money now.
"I just meant that you have a pretty face."
Siiiigh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:57 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I had a creepy experience yesterday. I was walking from my doctor's office to the train and this guy asked me how the doctor was. I assumed he was also a patient and said 'oh, he's fine'. Then he asked me if he was a good doctor at which point I realized he wasn't actually another patient. In fact he had followed me from the office. He asked for my name and number (uh, no) and as I was walking away said see you next month. That was what creeped me out because it means he must have been watching me for a while now.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:23 am 
Flounceiad 2011

blondiefk wrote:
I had a creepy experience yesterday. I was walking from my doctor's office to the train and this guy asked me how the doctor was. I assumed he was also a patient and said 'oh, he's fine'. Then he asked me if he was a good doctor at which point I realized he wasn't actually another patient. In fact he had followed me from the office. He asked for my name and number (uh, no) and as I was walking away said see you next month. That was what creeped me out because it means he must have been watching me for a while now.
GAAAH. That is way beyond creepy! And you've never seen him before? At the very least, please bring someone along with you the next time you go to that doctor and be super wary in general. I feel like there's got to be something more material you can do, but I know there are people on here who know much more about this sort of thing. Stay safe, and be careful!

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:25 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Eurgh, that is creepy as fork! Can you speak to the surgery staff and/or local police to make them aware of it? I'm wondering if he's approached other people too, they might be able to tell you if there's a known creep round there.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 10:40 pm 
Semen Strong

I'm shocked by how nasty people are about celebrities getting divorced. Gwyneth Paltrow is supremely annoying, but I don't think she deserves all the nasty comments she is getting, with people speculating that it must be her fault. Its always sad when a relationship ends. I cannot imagine how hard it must be to be doing it in the public eye.

Blondiefk, I hope you can get some support, that sounds really creepy and horrible.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:39 pm 
Dead by dawn

One of biker boy's friends sent out a group email to a bunch of people about going to dinner and bar trivia tomorrow night. Biker boy's response was that we were "in... sort of" and explained that it's my brother-in-law's birthday tomorrow and we're going to dinner for that and will try to meet up for bar trivia after. Someone on the email responded that he should "look for [his] balls in someone's purse..." I don't know this guy at all and I really want to call him out on it but I guess I will wait and see if either biker boy or the friend who started the email says anything.

What a douchey way to insult both of us in one go: he's less of a man because he's agreed to do something with my family and, of course, I'm a ball-buster because womenamirite?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 8:50 pm 
Semen Strong

That is so rude!

Maybe that guy should look for his manners in that purse, because he clearly lost them somewhere.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

monkeytoes wrote:
One of biker boy's friends sent out a group email to a bunch of people about going to dinner and bar trivia tomorrow night. Biker boy's response was that we were "in... sort of" and explained that it's my brother-in-law's birthday tomorrow and we're going to dinner for that and will try to meet up for bar trivia after. Someone on the email responded that he should "look for [his] balls in someone's purse..." I don't know this guy at all and I really want to call him out on it but I guess I will wait and see if either biker boy or the friend who started the email says anything.

What a douchey way to insult both of us in one go: he's less of a man because he's agreed to do something with my family and, of course, I'm a ball-buster because womenamirite?
crasshole.
Tofulish wrote:
That is so rude!

Maybe that guy should look for his manners in that purse, because he clearly lost them somewhere.
Exactly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:21 pm 
Grandfathered In

Christian school kicks out eight-year-old girl because she's not girly enough

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 4:46 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

I'd say it sounds like a lucky escape!

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:02 pm 
Nooch of Earl

This article doesn't challenge my feminism exactly, but I'm halfway through it and it's challenging a lot of assumptions about communication, and, I think, is pretty interesting and relevant to anyone involved with doing sexual assault or harassment prevention at all. (The actual article is behind a paywall but if you have university connections you can probably find a way to read it.)

http://das.sagepub.com/content/10/3/293.abstract

I followed the link from this article, which is also really worth reading (and much less academic):

http://www.doctornerdlove.com/2014/03/s ... an-excuse/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:05 pm 
Thinks chickens are assholes

monkeytoes wrote:

What a wankstain.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:36 pm 
WRETCHED

Uhh... what the fizzle... I've never seen anything like this and it is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen.
Spoilering because it could be triggering ... (an advertisement for false rape reporting?

Women have enough problems about coming forward when they are raped, I don't think we need something telling women it wasn't really rape.
Spoiler: show

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 4:41 pm 
Semen Strong

Men's Rights Advocates are the worst.

Seriously, men are more likely to be raped than be falsely accused of rape.

I don't want to comment more, in case its triggering for anyone reading. But OMG RAGE.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:02 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Tofulish wrote:

Do you have numbers/a source for that?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:10 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

monkeytoes wrote:

oh man, this shiitake peas me of so much. i've never had this experience, but sometimes my husband forgets about plans he's made with me and makes other plans that don't involve me. so, then, when i remind him about our plans he's put in the awkward position of canceling his other plans (depending on what our plans were or whatever), but i always feel like someone is going to think i'm some sort of nagging ball buster wife. i hate that i even have to have that feeling.

at an old job i had where my multiple bosses were incredibly misogynistic, i mentioned moving in with my boyfriend over the weekend and said something like "yeah, he just had to make some room for me on the shelves" and my boss said "yeah, of course you made him get rid of his stuff to make room for you. women have so much stuff!" uhh what the fork? making room for me on some shelves in a shared apartment is like basic human decency? anyway, those guys HELLA challenged my feminism every day.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:20 pm 
Semen Strong

jordanpattern wrote:
Tofulish wrote:

Do you have numbers/a source for that?

1 in 33 men will be the victim of attempted or completed rape in their lifetime. http://www.rainn.org/get-information/st ... lt-victims

Its always really hard to get numbers for false accusation, because so often the cases are withdrawn by the victim or not prosecuted so someone could be accused of a crime they actually committed but not prosecuted and that shouldn't count as a false accusation.

This project has the likelihood of being a victim of a false rape accusation is 1 in 27 million, but I can't find a reliable source for the number.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/charlesclymer/5 ... ing-f-fmeu

I'll keep digging though, and share what I find!
I c

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:36 pm 
Grandfathered In

linanil wrote:
Uhh... what the fizzle... I've never seen anything like this and it is one of the most ridiculous things I've seen.
Spoilering because it could be triggering ... (an advertisement for false rape reporting?

Women have enough problems about coming forward when they are raped, I don't think we need something telling women it wasn't really rape.

A Voice for Men is a notorious cesspit of griefers, whiners, and trolls.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Spanging hippie in Berkeley:"spare any change, pretty lady?"
Me: "I don't really appreciate that."
Hippie: "not all men are bad, you know."
THANK YOU! THANK YOU FOR COMMENTING ON MY APPEARANCE AND THEN MANSPLAINING TO ME THAT YOU ARE A NICE GUY™. I totally want to give you some on my money now.
"I just meant that you have a pretty face."
Siiiigh

Ahhhh this happened last week to me. I was walking out of the bart and some dude asked me for change but called me pretty thing or sweet thing or something else similarly creepy and unwanted. I can't exactly remember. Husband was behind me, but far enough away that I wasn't "claimed" by him, so the dude thought I was fair game. After we walk past I say to my husband, "did you see that? That's an example of the unwanted attention I have to deal with every day" and felt super triumphant that it was actually documented. Husband says, "oh he was just trying to get your attention. He does that to everyone." AHHHHHHHHHH NO HE DOES NOT. 45 min later when we walk back into the Bart, hand in hand, dude says nothing to me because I'm obviously with a man.

I'm feeling all riled up now. I never told J how pissed off I was that he trivialized my experience.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:06 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

linanil wrote:

I unfortunately read the comments when that came up on my FB feed. Awful. So, so awful.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:19 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

linanil wrote:

Sigh. This is a men's rights response to the "Don't Be That Guy" campaign, which is actually super awesome. You guys should see it: http://www.theviolencestopshere.ca/dbtg.php

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:47 pm 
Semen Strong

Screw you Snickers.
http://thesocietypages.org/socimages/20 ... ect-women/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:13 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Tofulish wrote:

Yeah, that ad is really terrible on several levels.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:29 am 
Flounceiad 2011

madeleine.teacup wrote:
Tofulish wrote:
Yeah, that ad is really terrible on several levels.
What? GAAAH. I started out being pissed off at the blatant patronization ("thank you, big daddy, for suggesting that half the human population might be considered something akin to people!") and then had an aneurysm. I don't buy their shitty candy bars anyway, but I hope that people who do will stop, and that the parent company suffers an enormous backlash from this shitshow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:36 am 
Bathes in Braggs

The commercial could inadvertantly do something good.

How often do feminists get a big corproation to spend a pile of cash to put feminist memes into a commercial that will reach manistream people........plus the extra publicity of the controversy around the commercial?

Yes, the commercial is adolescent, manipulative, and insulting.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 142, 143, 144, 145, 146, 147, 148 ... 170  Next