| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 163  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:15 am 
Chip Strong

Maggie Muggins wrote:
All this beer talk reminded me of this cringe worthy commercial.

Hey ladies! Now there's a watered down crappy beer just for us!!
Not only does it taste flat so we don't look fat but it's like super small and cute and junk.

Every time I saw this I screamed at the tv.

hahaha! I immediately thought of this horrible commercial.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:59 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I had first aid training today. When we came to heart attacks the trainer ran through the classic symptoms. I mentioned that I'd heard they were often different for women, and he said yes, there are lots of possible symptoms, we can't cover all of them. I know it was only a day's course but I thought that was a bit much! I guess he maybe wasn't familiar with the differences and didn't want to show himself up, but I hope he thinks about checking them and including the differences in the next session.

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:11 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Geez! Get with it buddy. Heart disease is only the number one killer of women- but who cares, eh? Hopefully, he'll address it in the next session. Good on you for mentioning it, dropscone.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:20 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
kfad wrote:
Hollie wrote:
And they also assume that, since I'm a woman, I must not like beer. A guy sitting next to me in our pub acted shocked when I ordered one of my favorite beers, a very hoppy pale ale, and told me, "Oh, hon. You're not gonna like that."

[fart noise]

Just last week at a local growler place, the guy behind the counter told me I wouldn't like the hoppy beer I ordered because "it is a strong flavor. It is a guys beer". No dude. Beer is not gender selective.

I generally don't like hoppy beers but reading these stories makes me want ALL THE HOPS. These dudes are lucky they didn't end up with your very hoppy drinks all over their forking idiot heads.

Ok, so, actually there IS a feminist connection here, but it is a bit complicated.

In the past, beer making was a powerful piece of woman's work. It was really, one of the few ways women could earn money up until the Middle Ages. Beer brewing was a magic not shared with men, and they wanted it and so they had to pay up. In particular, the herbs used to bitter and preserve beer were kept pretty secret and sometimes even some women didn't know it and they'd have to go to the special herb lady to get the mixes of herbs.

Then, awesome lady Hildegard von Bingen did some research as she did, between writing and composing. She thought hops was really good for beer, kept it safe to drink, etc. Great work Hilde!
The church found out about this and used it to their advantage. Suddenly, the women who knew what herbs were good for beer were pushed out, called witches, and they could take one of the few ways women could assert power, which was beer making. Now the church was in the power zone! Monks were making beer and people had to go to church to get it instead.

I read this in a book called Fermenting Revolution. If someone tries to tell you about women and beer, perhaps a history lesson would be in order.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

Yes! And the women were called "brewsters" and they were brilliant and the best.

And beer was called "liquid bread." ha.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:26 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thanks for that lychophte. You learn something new everyday. And now I want beer.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:44 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Thanks, lycophyte, that's really cool! I want to read that book now.

I am a beer woman through and through, with a special spot in my heart for Belgian lambic and trippel. And by that I mean that my dude proposed by hiding a ring in a glass of Westmalle Trippel and it was the most perfect thing possible.

Said dude prefers pink drinks with umbrellas, and I can probably count on one hand the number of times a server did not swap our orders.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:49 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I like how Uptown Girl fits so neatly into my freakishly small baby hands and I can hold it easily without chipping or stressing my nails.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:42 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lycophyte wrote:
Ok, so, actually there IS a feminist connection here, but it is a bit complicated.

In the past, beer making was a powerful piece of woman's work. It was really, one of the few ways women could earn money up until the Middle Ages. Beer brewing was a magic not shared with men, and they wanted it and so they had to pay up. In particular, the herbs used to bitter and preserve beer were kept pretty secret and sometimes even some women didn't know it and they'd have to go to the special herb lady to get the mixes of herbs.

Then, awesome lady Hildegard von Bingen did some research as she did, between writing and composing. She thought hops was really good for beer, kept it safe to drink, etc. Great work Hilde!
The church found out about this and used it to their advantage. Suddenly, the women who knew what herbs were good for beer were pushed out, called witches, and they could take one of the few ways women could assert power, which was beer making. Now the church was in the power zone! Monks were making beer and people had to go to church to get it instead.

I read this in a book called Fermenting Revolution. If someone tries to tell you about women and beer, perhaps a history lesson would be in order.
Actually, this is isn't exactly true. The medieval Church was always in "the power zone" (that's why they called it "Christendom" and all the monarchs had to suck up to the pope), and monasteries had pretty much always produced vast quantities of ale because they were not only large, frequently agrarian communities that needed hydration, but were also expected to provide hospitality for travelers, etc. Housewives were expected to brew the ale for their own families, and commercial brewsters tended to be middle class women literally engaged in a cottage industry. Some women did this as a proper, ongoing business, while others did it more occasionally when they had extra, because it didn't really keep before hops began being added regularly.

Hildegard was the abbess at Diessenberg, an important Benedictine house, so of course she knew all about the ongoing need for lots-o-ale. She wrote about adding hops as a preservative in the 12th century, but although the practice wasn't adopted in some parts of Europe until as late as the 15th century, it wasn't a secret. And while women were eventually squeezed out of the brewing industry - just as they were from midwifery as male doctors began officiating at childbirths, previously an exclusively female concern - it wasn't because they were "witches," but because men historically know an economic opportunity when they see one, and the ability to produce a large volume of longer-lasting beer (as opposed to unhopped ale) presented a money-making proposition too good to resist. Good-bye brewsters, helloooo brewers!

Back in my museum education days, I researched, developed, and wrote a whole program about women, ale, beer, and brewing in the medieval and early modern periods. I used to give an annual talk about it during Women's History Month; I could probably dig up the bibliography if anyone's interested.

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:26 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Here are a few good resources for those who'd like to know more (and probably become thirstier in the process; I could really use a beer right now). Judith Bennett's Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World is excellent.
http://www.amazon.com/Ale-Beer-Brewster ... 0195126505

From Elizabeth Ewan and Maureen M. Meikle's collection, Women in Scotland: c.1100 – c.1750.
http://www.amazon.com/Women-Scotland-c- ... %93+c.1750
Quote:
Brewing can reveal much about women’s roles in the medieval urban economy. Unlike most crafts, it could be carried on intermittently. Ale was perishable and time-consuming to produce. The most efficient way to ensure an adequate supply was for households to produce it in rotation, purchasing more raw material than needed for domestic use and selling the surplus, then buying ale between brewings. The provision of ale thus involved women in consumption, production and retailing.
Mavis Mate's Women in Medieval English Society also has quite a bit to say about brewing as a source of supplementary income for rural and urban women.
http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-English- ... 0521587334

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:21 am 
Chip Strong

dropscone wrote:
I had first aid training today. When we came to heart attacks the trainer ran through the classic symptoms. I mentioned that I'd heard they were often different for women, and he said yes, there are lots of possible symptoms, we can't cover all of them. I know it was only a day's course but I thought that was a bit much! I guess he maybe wasn't familiar with the differences and didn't want to show himself up, but I hope he thinks about checking them and including the differences in the next session.

I just competed a 2 day first aid course this past weekend and my trainers definitely discussed the differences between heart attack symptoms for men and women. I would mention this on the course evaluation or otherwise provide feedback about this. Good for you for bringing it up.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:47 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I was part of a photoshoot yesterday with the girl who won the other thesis prize. She is actually taller than me by about an inch but in all the pictures they have her sitting or me standing on steps so I look significantly taller than her. I can't get over the feeling that it's a [sub]conscious "the guy must be taller" decision on the photographer's part.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:56 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

Desdemona wrote:
Here are a few good resources for those who'd like to know more (and probably become thirstier in the process; I could really use a beer right now). Judith Bennett's Ale, Beer, and Brewsters in England: Women's Work in a Changing World is excellent.
http://www.amazon.com/Ale-Beer-Brewster ... 0195126505

From Elizabeth Ewan and Maureen M. Meikle's collection, Women in Scotland: c.1100 – c.1750.
http://www.amazon.com/Women-Scotland-c- ... %93+c.1750
Quote:
Brewing can reveal much about women’s roles in the medieval urban economy. Unlike most crafts, it could be carried on intermittently. Ale was perishable and time-consuming to produce. The most efficient way to ensure an adequate supply was for households to produce it in rotation, purchasing more raw material than needed for domestic use and selling the surplus, then buying ale between brewings. The provision of ale thus involved women in consumption, production and retailing.
Mavis Mate's Women in Medieval English Society also has quite a bit to say about brewing as a source of supplementary income for rural and urban women.
http://www.amazon.com/Medieval-English- ... 0521587334

Thanks for the clarification! And if I ever get to play my D & D priestess, a holy Brewster somewhat based on Sumerian beer priestesses (but you know, a halfling ), I'm sure I'll throw some of this into the mix. I'll probably never play again, but I totally rolled that shiitake up once.

(it seemed like a good way to end up with a traveling band of dwarves. My monastery required me to go out into the world and research other beers and stuff before fully becoming a priestess. I think I actually want this to be my job... where can I take the beery cloth?)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:02 am 
Saggy Butt

You know how there's that thing going around that shows the women before and after they put makeup on? A girl I work with posted it on Facebook and her caption was, "I feel so sorry for their boyfriends! Boy were they fooled!"

thud.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2014 6:36 pm 
WELFARIST!

Hollie wrote:
You know how there's that thing going around that shows the women before and after they put makeup on? A girl I work with posted it on Facebook and her caption was, "I feel so sorry for their boyfriends! Boy were they fooled!"

thud.

FFS.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:44 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Peter MacKay, who is pretty high up in Canadian politics, has been really challenging my feminism.

First he made some stupid comment about how women don't want to be judges because that would take them away from their children. Now in his memos to staff he thanks moms for changing diapers on Mothers Day, and dads for shaping minds on Fathers Day. Okay then.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1413316/peter-mackay-thanks-moms-for-changing-diapers-dads-for-shaping-minds/

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

lobsteriffic wrote:
Peter MacKay, who is pretty high up in Canadian politics, has been really challenging my feminism.

First he made some stupid comment about how women don't want to be judges because that would take them away from their children. Now in his memos to staff he thanks moms for changing diapers on Mothers Day, and dads for shaping minds on Fathers Day. Okay then.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1413316/peter-mackay-thanks-moms-for-changing-diapers-dads-for-shaping-minds/

That is horrible. UGH!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:10 am 
Saggy Butt

lobsteriffic wrote:

Just another reason for me to hate that dickbag.

Be yourself, everyone else is taken.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:47 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

Supreme court unanimously struck down the Massachusetts abortion clinic buffer zone law. fork.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:08 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

What!?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 10:21 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Nebraskalaska wrote:
Supreme court unanimously struck down the Massachusetts abortion clinic buffer zone law. fork.

Ugh, I saw that this morning. I am so angry about it.

Today, a customer actually said, to my face, "Oh, I already knew the answer to my question. I was just testing you to see if you're just a pretty face or actually know what you're talking about."
I get that a lot of the men I deal with are thinking that, but at least they understand how wildly inappropriate it is to say to me and continue just quizzing me until they approve. I mean, both suck, but who thinks saying that to a woman at her job is okay?

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:53 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

missdelaney wrote:
Today, a customer actually said, to my face, "Oh, I already knew the answer to my question. I was just testing you to see if you're just a pretty face or actually know what you're talking about."

Holy shiitake.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:44 am 
Impressive boner

Quote:
The fields are the only toilet most of them have ever known. Only 30 of the 300 homes in the village have their own private facilities, and none have drainage.
(The women) walk out together, in groups, for safety. It takes about 15 minutes. Then they separate and space out for a little privacy.

This article on the BBC News website concerns how women in rural India, near Delhi, have two opportunities each day to go to the toilet and need to go in groups for safety -
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-28039513

Quote:
The mother of one of the girls found hanged in Uttar Pradesh confided to me that she always accompanied her daughter to the fields but this one time she had let them go alone - a decision she said she'd always regret.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:06 am 
ugh

Nebraskalaska wrote:

Hopefully they'll be able to replace that law with something else that the judges will be okay with. Naturally, the Supreme Court buffer zone is A-OK, because national security. But what about the security of the people trying to get into these clinics?

Anyway, this inspired me to put in my name to potentially volunteer as a clinic escort yesterday, though at that time they didn't have an opening listed on their volunteer site. I already got an auto-notification that they are looking for clinic escorts today. I'm not sure how much protesting goes on around here normally but I guess they're anticipating more as long as this is all over the news.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 10:20 am 
ugh

b.vicious wrote:
Nebraskalaska wrote:

Hopefully they'll be able to replace that law with something else that the judges will be okay with. Naturally, the Supreme Court buffer zone is A-OK, because national security. But what about the security of the people trying to get into these clinics?

Anyway, this inspired me to put in my name to potentially volunteer as a clinic escort yesterday, though at that time they didn't have an opening listed on their volunteer site. I already got an auto-notification that they are looking for clinic escorts today. I'm not sure how much protesting goes on around here normally but I guess they're anticipating more as long as this is all over the news.

So, I've already learned that my work schedule will probably make it not possible for me to volunteer. But if any Boston area folks are reading this, I know they are looking for people to fill shifts Monday-Friday from 8am-10am and 10am-noon. So if this is possible for you and you're interested, please get in touch with them!

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4066 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 154, 155, 156, 157, 158, 159, 160 ... 163  Next