| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 8:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 6:25 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

The cat demanding tuna was totally my cat. She had only ever had it when i lived with omni roommates, so it's not like it was a frequent thing in her life, but any time I opened a can she would materialize in the kitchen from wherever she was and ask for her tuna. I would say, "Sorry, it's just chickpeas," and she would respond, "I heard a can opener, so I know it's tuna. Where is my tuna. I demand tuna." So I would throw down a chickpea to show her, and she would say, "That's not tuna you incompetent human. I know you have tuna. Give me my tuna." And this would go on until I left the kitchen. Poor kitty. When she got hypothyroidism her doctor prescribed medicine that tasted like tuna and she was the happiest kitty ever for the rest of her days.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:26 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

lobsteriffic wrote:
I didn't know pistachios was a filter and I was really, really confused.

Wow, yes.

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
Kal wrote:
I've never had strangers comment on what I was eating and I didn't realize that this was a thing! I would be pissed if someone took food out of my hand because they were concerned that I would gain weight.

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... CMP=twt_gu
Wait...what?!

If anybody said anything of that sort to me, they'd be eating their food out of a straw.

Also, yes. I'd be forcibly feeding them the offending foodstuffs.

strawberryrock wrote:
http://confusedcatsagainstfeminism.tumblr.com/

I mean, it doesn't challenge my feminism, it's actually the best.

Even more yes. That is aces.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:42 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

DEG wrote:
Tany time I opened a can she would materialize in the kitchen from wherever she was and ask for her tuna. I would say, "Sorry, it's just chickpeas," and she would respond, "I heard a can opener, so I know it's tuna. Where is my tuna. I demand tuna." So I would throw down a chickpea to show her, and she would say, "That's not tuna you incompetent human. I know you have tuna. Give me my tuna." And this would go on until I left the kitchen. Poor kitty.

Haha, both my cats and I have this conversation often in several different contexts. It always ends with them calling me incompetent.

(sorry to derail, it has naught to do with challenging my feminism)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 12:58 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

I was listening to a podcast this morning on my run and it had the author of that "Meat is for pistachios" book as a guest. They did talk about the controversy over the title. I don't know, I don't think he really gets what the problem with it is. He seems to think that vegans are too politically correct and have a "10 foot pole up their asparagus". He seems to think that most of the controversy is over using profanity in the title. Um, no, that's not it. He also thought that the controversy over "Skinny bisque" was simply because of the inclusion of the word "bisque" and had nothing to do with the word "Skinny."

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 1:04 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Ugh, I forgot about that dude.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 4:33 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

lobsteriffic wrote:
I was listening to a podcast this morning on my run and it had the author of that "Meat is for pistachios" book as a guest. They did talk about the controversy over the title. I don't know, I don't think he really gets what the problem with it is. He seems to think that vegans are too politically correct and have a "10 foot pole up their asparagus". He seems to think that most of the controversy is over using profanity in the title. Um, no, that's not it. He also thought that the controversy over "Skinny bisque" was simply because of the inclusion of the word "bisque" and had nothing to do with the word "Skinny."
Wow, he sounds incredibly intelligent and interesting; I'm sure he'd tell you so himself! I'm pretty disturbed at how much attention (and approbation) that stupid NPR piece on "manly" vegans is getting. I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to grasp that a movement that asserts the inherent subjectivity of all animals - human and otherwise- shouldn't trade on tropes based in essentialist ideas about gender "norms" and identities constructed around a false, reductive binary.

And anyway, where are the animals in this picture? As a friend recently put it, "Animals will forever remain absent referents if people are becoming vegans so they can have great beach bodies." Once again, we are putting people at the center of everything; the animals veganism purports to help are made peripheral to the conversation as we continue to fetishize human bodies rather than focusing on doing less harm to non-human ones. I don't give a damn how much you can lift or how far you can run without eating animals, dude; I just care that you don't eat them, and I'm betting the 9 billion factory-farmed land animals who die in this country every year would feel pretty much the same way if they knew you existed.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 6:54 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Desdemona wrote:
I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to grasp that a movement that asserts the inherent subjectivity of all animals - human and otherwise- shouldn't trade on tropes based in essentialist ideas about gender "norms" and identities constructed around a false, reductive binary.

I think many Americans do not know what those words mean, let alone what they mean strung together. Absolutely zero offense meant to you and absolutley zero disrespect in regards to your point.

Quote:
And anyway, where are the animals in this picture?

Excellent point. I always like Paul Shapiros statement (parphrasing) "It is the animal rights movement, not the the animal rights activists movement". Too many vegans get caught up in their ego contests, anger and judgement fetishes to the detriment of actually persuading more people to not use animals.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 9:07 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Someone over at one of my favorite blogs, Sociological Images, has been blogging more about veganism and feminism and I'm thrilled! Except I go to the comments and it's just the stupidest stuff. Normally incredibly insightful, intelligent people just turn into completely blithering morons who don't know how to think critically.

beforewisdom wrote:

Excellent point. I always like Paul Shapiros statement (parphrasing) "It is the animal rights movement, not the the animal rights activists movement". Too many vegans get caught up in their ego contests, anger and judgement fetishes to the detriment of actually persuading more people to not use animals.

A-frickin-MEN.

It's often been my experience that such "activists" usually burn out quickly and will no longer be vegan within a matter of years. So there's that "good" they do for the animals, too.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 10:42 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

beforewisdom wrote:
Desdemona wrote:
I don't understand why it's so hard for some people to grasp that a movement that asserts the inherent subjectivity of all animals - human and otherwise- shouldn't trade on tropes based in essentialist ideas about gender "norms" and identities constructed around a false, reductive binary.

I think many Americans do not know what those words mean, let alone what they mean strung together. Absolutely zero offense meant to you and absolutley zero disrespect in regards to your point.

Quote:
And anyway, where are the animals in this picture?

Agreed on both counts.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2014 11:34 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

Desdemona wrote:
beforewisdom wrote:
Yeah, sorry - I deal with and talk to lots of people involved in critical animal studies stuff (including my partner), so the way I talk about these issues might not be commensurate with how everyone thinks about/expresses them. But the point stands: if we're supposed to care about animals and not objectify/reduce/use them, how does it serve our purpose to do those things to people?
beforewisdom wrote:
I always like Paul Shapiros statement (parphrasing) "It is the animal rights movement, not the the animal rights activists movement". Too many vegans get caught up in their ego contests, anger and judgement fetishes to the detriment of actually persuading more people to not use animals.
Yes, exactly!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:31 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Ugh. So an Australian senator, Jacqui Lambie, made some kinda silly comment about liking her men "well-hung" on radio. Which wasn't a great judgment call by her; I don't think it was a good political move. She's known for saying silly and/or ignorant stuff. I don't care about her as a politician (she's part of this weird fringe party, started up by a mining magnate, that randomly have a fair bit of political power right now, and a kind of bizarre mixture of policies). What does make me incredibly frustrated is all the men talking about how this is sexism, and that "if Tony Abbott* gets blasted for saying so-called 'misogynist' stuff about Julia Gillard**, and just gets called a misogynist in general, then how is that fair? How should Jacqui Lambie get away with saying this?"

Um, because structural oppression?
First Dog on the Moon explains it in comic form!

*Current Australian Prime Minister, a conservative forkwad who is making life worse for every minority and/or oppressed group in myriad ways... he appointed himself minister for women recently. He's also known for making lots of awful racist, misogynist, and homophobic comments throughout his political career.
**Previous, slightly less conservative PM, who copped a lot of flak in Australian media because she isn't married to her long-term partner and they do not have children, amongst other things. Oh, and just for daring to be a woman in politics.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:03 am 
Saggy Butt

gunk wrote:
Jacqui Lambie

I am totally the one going "ahahaha What an idiot I love her"

But yeah, on a scale of 1 to Tony Abbott on the sexism scale that was like 1.000001, if that.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:29 am 
Inflexitarian

Gotta love First Dog! <3

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 4:35 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I've lost all respect for him long ago but Richard Dawkins, and Ranking the Top 10 Kinds of Rape in Order of Badness

http://skepchick.org/2014/07/richard-da ... f-badness/

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:20 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Ugh. What an asparagus.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:21 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

I remember when I learned you couldn't quantify personal experience.

I was 15.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:10 pm 
Grandfathered In

This was good:

http://mobile.rawstory.com/all/2014-07- ... dhere-to#1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:02 am 
Flounceiad 2011

FootFace wrote:
Quote:
I don’t think anyone objects to the initial statement, of course. He’s right that it is logical! Pearl Jam is bad. Dave Matthews Band is worse. That is not an endorsement of Pearl Jam. Stubbing your toe is bad. Getting it cut off is worse. That is not an endorsement of stubbing your toe. Wine coolers are bad. Mad Dog is worse. That is not an endorsement of wine coolers. See, I could do this all day, using only examples that are much clearer than invoking touchy issues that are touchy precisely because a lot of people actually deny—and spend a whole of time and effort denying—that the bad things are actually all that bad.
BINGO.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:10 am 
Level 7 Vegan

one of my FB friends, who is normally a pretty decent dude, shared a video in which a middle-aged man diagrams and explains the "hot-crazy matrix" of women (sorry, *girls*) using the obvious 1-10 scale of physical attractiveness vs ~craziness~ (except the craziness scale starts at 4, because there are no sane women amirite). and to ice this turd cake, he concludes by saying attractive women who are less than "a 5 crazy" are either unicorns (which he calls "things" and uses the pronoun "it") or [transmisogynistic slur]. and judging from the comments on the original post, i am in the tiny minority of people who are not amused.

So today at PPK I learned how to fork up a falafel and a taco. - craiger_ny

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 am 
Slept through a huge sale, OH NO!

ETK, I saw about 12 seconds of that too before I turned it off. It got me to wondering, do women do scales like that? Men, boys, it seems, have been discovered to keep spreadsheets, notch their bedpost, whatever. Is this a strictly male behavior? Is it groupthink? It it evolutionary?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:14 pm 
Semen Strong

Its also problematic because it uses the word "tranny" even though its for a person who is not crazy and a 10 in looks. Even better than a unicorn.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:26 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

A piece from the NYT today, about the bizarre split of SCOTUS: lots of support for gay rights, hardly any support for women's rights.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/05/us/as ... .html?_r=0

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:55 am 
Discovered unobtainium

I haven't read the link yet, but if you think about it (and this is what infuriates me the most about anti-same so ex marriage people), who does lgbt rights inconvenience? Nobody, really. If people would think rationally, it's really all win-win for everybody.

But women's rights? If half the population wants absurd stuff like equal treatment and fair consideration of their needs, some people will be inconvenienced.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 2:42 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I just had a panic attack because of all the shitty people on the internet. I watched this amazing cover https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdcpWIWNX6w I know not to read youtube comments (especially when a video is of a woman) but I went to her twitter, her facebook, there is so much of this shiitake, everyone. Do they genuinely believe no one could be interested in her videos if she didn't look the way she does. And when she does "cover her breasts" like she's being shameful, then all comments are about her breasts anyway. When the video was recorded she was 18 years old for fork's sake.

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:52 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Apparently an Indian fashion photographer thought it would be "edgy" to do a fashion photo shoot in the style of sexual harassment on a Delhi bus, "not at all like" the Delhi gang rape. Right. A number of people have called bullshiitake on the photographer; the BBC has a piece. Trigger warning might be needed for pictures of men grabbing women (from the photo shoot, not real life). http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-28670663

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4553 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, 167, 168 ... 183  Next