| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:49 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 180  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:23 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:58 pm
Posts: 746
Location: chicago
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I went to the Home Depot this evening to get supplies for a messy home renovation project. We needed gloves and disposable jumpsuits. Well, apparently this big box warehouse store that sells a 90 of everything does not stock any of those items in a size smaller than a large. When I asked an employee they told me that they didn't carry smaller work gloves, but I could try the gardening section.

Ugh.



YUP. See also, trying to find a tool belt that will remotely fit me. Actually, they frequently don't even have boxes of small, or sometmes even medium, latex disposable gloves, either. I frequently have super messy work projects where it is totally an OSHA violation to not provide employees with gloves to handle the gross (by gross I mean toxic) materials I sometimes work with, and at my old shop it was very annoying to frequently not have gloves that fit me and most of the other awesome ladies I worked with, because Home Depot doesn't think they have to stock anything in smaller sizes. I frequently do really detailed things where having an extra inch of latex hanging off my fingertips is a serious impediment!

On the plus side, I went to a really great independent hardware store the other day to pick up some steel for a metal sculpture class I just started, and they had a great section of work gloves that included MORE THAN ONE CHOICE in my size.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:15 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Germany
We helped friends move for about nine hours yesterday, and everyone kept insisting things were too heavy for me to carry or setting aside small, light packages especially for me. We're all from different countries, so I couldn't sexism from cultural differences. I kept having to announce"I AM VERY STRONG" so people would let me work. I'm not particularly strong, but geez.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:58 am 
Offline
Making Threats to Punks Again
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:14 am
Posts: 1123
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
electric_claire wrote:
YUP. See also, trying to find a tool belt that will remotely fit me. Actually, they frequently don't even have boxes of small, or sometmes even medium, latex disposable gloves, either. I frequently have super messy work projects where it is totally an OSHA violation to not provide employees with gloves to handle the gross (by gross I mean toxic) materials I sometimes work with, and at my old shop it was very annoying to frequently not have gloves that fit me and most of the other awesome ladies I worked with, because Home Depot doesn't think they have to stock anything in smaller sizes. I frequently do really detailed things where having an extra inch of latex hanging off my fingertips is a serious impediment!

On the plus side, I went to a really great independent hardware store the other day to pick up some steel for a metal sculpture class I just started, and they had a great section of work gloves that included MORE THAN ONE CHOICE in my size.


Whenever I need new work trousers for rope access/rigging, I always have to put in a special order from the companies who make work clothing for industry and they never fits quite right because they're cut to men's waist and hip shape. I've been told before by work clothing shops that the companies have no interest in providing clothes for "minority sizes" like women.


Rebekah wrote:
We helped friends move for about nine hours yesterday, and everyone kept insisting things were too heavy for me to carry or setting aside small, light packages especially for me. We're all from different countries, so I couldn't sexism from cultural differences. I kept having to announce"I AM VERY STRONG" so people would let me work. I'm not particularly strong, but geez.


I get a lot of this working in rigging/rope access where there is a lot of heavily lifting and it's a very male-dominated industry. My usual response to this kind of bullshiitake is "If I need help, I will ask for it. Please stop patronising me." For people to insist things are too heavy for me suggests that I am not only incompetent at my job, but also unable to assess for myself where my limitations lie. I never see this happen to men.

_________________
My blog about travel, campaigning, activism, vegan food and stuff.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:09 am 
Offline
Thinks chickens are assholes
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 5693
Just lift the next person who patronises you about strength and set them somewhere out of your way ;)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:06 am 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Germany
Imogen wrote:
For people to insist things are too heavy for me suggests that I am not only incompetent at my job, but also unable to assess for myself where my limitations lie. I never see this happen to men.


Well said. It was the 'inability to assess limitations' assumption that really bugged me. I'M the one carrying the box, don't estimate that it's too heavy for me. I've never had this problem when surrounded by Americans, so I wonder if it was a cultural difference; I was working with Korean, Greek, Slovenian, and Austrian people, and only the Austrian left me alone. Women and men alike were doing it. A mystery.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:12 am 
Offline
Inflexitarian
User avatar

Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:58 pm
Posts: 746
Location: chicago
For sure there are different cultural ideas about gender in different cultures, but this has definitely happened to me in the U.S. too. It has definitely happened to me at work, as well as with friends who are generally very progressive!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:33 am 
Online
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Portland
Yeah, it happens to me all the time. I've had people tell my husband to lift things for me even thought we're pretty well matched in strength. If I need help I'll ask for it, thanks!

The next day I'm even more mad about this glove/coverall thing. Just what in the forking fork is that all about? I am writing a strongly worded letter.

_________________
Instagram @noochynoodle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:25 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Germany
Nebraskalaska wrote:
Just what in the forking fork is that all about? I am writing a strongly worded letter.


Write it! Write it so hard!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:16 pm 
Online
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Portland
I did! and I got an auto-response, fill-in-the-blank reply. Hooray.

_________________
Instagram @noochynoodle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:35 pm 
Offline
TOTALLY CRADICAL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 4074
Location: Smugville, CA
Not content to insult my intelligence/age with their hamster ads, Kia upped the ante to insult my feminism and my sense of anti-speciesism.



I don't want to buy a car. I just want to know why large, anthropomorphic hamsters have, themselves, smaller pet hamsters. What universe is this? How is this possible? WHAT IS HAPPENING? Cold... I'm so cold...

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
"It's, you know, your typical Portland restaurant; bowls." ~Kittee
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:34 pm 
Offline
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 4:38 pm
Posts: 614
Location: Germany
Nebraskalaska wrote:
I did! and I got an auto-response, fill-in-the-blank reply. Hooray.


Well, curse words.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:03 pm 
Offline
Should Write a Goddam Book Already
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:58 pm
Posts: 1017
Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Worst commercial of all time


What in the forking fork was that? That was so goddamned stupid I am angry.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:17 am 
Offline
Saggy Butt
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 03, 2013 10:45 pm
Posts: 305
i used to work at home depot's competition... customers regularly used to tell me they should have hired a man instead of a woman for the position i was in - because i used idiot proof machinery that cut things. in fact, in the middle of helping some guy, he asked if i could go get one of the men to talk to him instead. i told him to leave. it was so demoralizing. plus, i was beyond qualified with the amount of carpentry and welding experience i have. don't even get me started on how often i was sexually harassed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:44 am 
Offline
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:30 pm
Posts: 10524
Location: Wolfville, Nova Scotia
I am so sick of people telling me not to lift things. I am not particularly strong, and a fairly small person, but I am fortunately able bodied and lifting heavy shiitake is not hard! I was lugging around 90 pound kegs the other day and everyone was freaking out about it. They needed to be moved! I have some muscles, jesus!

Also, I can drive a forklift like a wizard; but no one ever asks me unless it's a last resort. Apparently it's a man job, even though I'm the only one at work actually certified.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:14 am 
Offline
Nooch of Earl
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 2:18 pm
Posts: 3742
Location: Bella Napoli
That Kia ad is *terrible*. VW and Subaru usually make great car commercials, the rest shouldn't bother.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm 
Online
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 pm
Posts: 388
Some guy wants to outlaw boobs in Ohio because he believes that they are a threat to the family and that they encourage homosexuality. Basically, he wants breast feeding in public to be illegal. Why does he have to be from my state?

http://skepchick.org/2014/08/christian- ... s-in-ohio/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:58 pm 
Online
Asked Santa for a pony
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:29 pm
Posts: 3189
Location: Portland
postnothing wrote:
i used to work at home depot's competition... customers regularly used to tell me they should have hired a man instead of a woman for the position i was in - because i used idiot proof machinery that cut things. in fact, in the middle of helping some guy, he asked if i could go get one of the men to talk to him instead. i told him to leave. it was so demoralizing. plus, i was beyond qualified with the amount of carpentry and welding experience i have. don't even get me started on how often i was sexually harassed.

That's absolutely terrible. I'm really sorry you had to deal with that.

I just don't even understand the attitude of "you can't possibly do this! it's a mans job". I work in a female dominated field (home sewing) and while I rarely ever interact with male customers or clients in my job when I do it doesn't occur to me to say something like "there's no way you could understand this, I'm going to need to speak to your lady boss/girlfriend/wife". Because I'm not a crasshole?

_________________
Instagram @noochynoodle


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:27 pm 
Offline
TOTALLY CRADICAL
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:42 am
Posts: 4074
Location: Smugville, CA
Kal wrote:
Some guy wants to outlaw boobs in Ohio because he believes... they encourage homosexuality.


Wat.

vijita wrote:
Also, I can drive a forklift like a wizard


WAT. Now I want nothing more than to see you shredding on a forklift!

_________________
Crazy rating: Double plus crazytown bananapants ~Jordanpattern
"It's, you know, your typical Portland restaurant; bowls." ~Kittee
Sews Before Bros


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:43 pm 
Offline
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 pm
Posts: 6201
Location: Land of Maple and Beavers
I haaaate the "you're a woman, you shouldn't lift heavy things" bullshiitake. I am strong. I workout and have hella arms. I can lift heavy shiitake no problem. Lay off. If I need help, I will ask.

A funny opposite to that, though, we were at the cottage with my in-laws and there was a jar of jam that no one could open and so Trevor said, "give it to _paprikapapaya_, she's the strongest one here." <3<3<3 Also I was the one building the fires all weekend and no one gave me grief and just let me be the dude who built fires.

_________________
Did you notice the slight feeling of panic at the words "Chicken Basin Street"? Like someone was walking over your grave? Try not to remember. We must never remember. - mumbles
Is this about devilberries and nazifruit again? - footface


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:40 pm 
Online
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:48 pm
Posts: 388
The guy who drew the erotic cover for Spider Woman responds to criticism. He basically uses the whole "there are more important things to be concerned about!" And evolution, basically woman have curves or else humanity would die out. Yeah I didn't know a woman's spine could bend that way. Spider woman was supposed to be geared towards women yet Marvel hires and erotic artist for the cover.

http://www.themarysue.com/manara-hopele ... man-cover/


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:45 pm 
Offline
Discovered unobtainium
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:21 pm
Posts: 12251
Location: Dinosaur Stampede
There are definitely more important things to spend money on. His argument works that way too.

This is why I'm happy there hasn't yet been a Wonder Woman movie. I shudder to think what Hollywood would do. I don't see a Lynda Carter being cast today. The last time there were rumors, Megan Fox was mentioned a lot. Lynda Carter's WW was one of my childhood idols.

_________________
"This is the creepiest post ever if you don't know who Molly is." -Fee
"a vegan death match sounds like something where we all end up hugging." -LisaPunk


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:30 pm 
Offline
Addicted to B12 Enemas
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:35 am
Posts: 237
Location: Philadelphia
paprikapapaya wrote:
I haaaate the "you're a woman, you shouldn't lift heavy things" bullshiitake. I am strong. I workout and have hella arms. I can lift heavy shiitake no problem. Lay off. If I need help, I will ask.


Yeah, at my old job something heavy needed to be moved and I offered to help, but no...my two male coworkers both have severe back problems insisted on doing it themselves. One of them had surgery ten years ago and walks slightly bent over and basically lives on ibuprofen because his back is so bad, and the other one had surgery a few months prior after literally waking up one morning unable to even get out of bed. Dudes would rather injure themselves then let a woman (who works out, does aerials and has visible arm muscles!) lift something heavy. Idiots. These were otherwise fairly progressive guys too...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:39 am 
Offline
WRETCHED
User avatar

Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:54 pm
Posts: 8809
Location: Maryland/DC area
I love to lift heavy things and prove that I can. Not related but my husband was relating a funny story. A coworker of his was leaving and the team was reminiscing about the time they helped him move. One guy told my husband that they were surprised how strong he was because he is vegan. They figured he wouldn't be able to lift anything but that he showed his vegetarian muscle. My husband is a slim guy and always has been but I'm amused that his coworkers thought he wouldn't be strong due to being vegan.

_________________
You are all a disgrace to vegans. Go f*ck yourselves, especially linanil.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:00 am 
Offline
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm
Posts: 4507
Location: The land of maple syrup and beavers.
lavawitch wrote:
The last time there were rumors, Megan Fox was mentioned a lot.


Good gracious, no.

Also, that Kia commercial is completely hideous.

_________________
Anyone for some German Shepherd Pie? - daisychain
Well! Fruit is stupid! These onions taste nothing like fruit! - allularpunk
Dwarf-tossing for God: A Story of Hope - Invictus


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:03 am 
Offline
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 2:39 pm
Posts: 1916
Location: St. John's Newfoundland
Kal wrote:
The guy who drew the erotic cover for Spider Woman responds to criticism. He basically uses the whole "there are more important things to be concerned about!" And evolution, basically woman have curves or else humanity would die out. Yeah I didn't know a woman's spine could bend that way. Spider woman was supposed to be geared towards women yet Marvel hires and erotic artist for the cover.

http://www.themarysue.com/manara-hopele ... man-cover/


My favourite part is where he goes on about how we should be better than the Muslims. I can understand why Marvel would like to be associated with him /sarcasm.

But really, its ridiculous that Marvel used that cover. Or put Greg Land on the book (he's kind of infamous for tracing from porn, and his Spider Woman cover had Jessica missing her legs and Silk missing her spine). Marvel has been trying to set itself up as the pro-woman alternative to DC, and this is a serious step back and ruining what good will they got.

lavawitch wrote:
There are definitely more important things to spend money on. His argument works that way too.

This is why I'm happy there hasn't yet been a Wonder Woman movie. I shudder to think what Hollywood would do. I don't see a Lynda Carter being cast today. The last time there were rumors, Megan Fox was mentioned a lot. Lynda Carter's WW was one of my childhood idols.


Don't hold your breath, Gal Gadot will play her in Batman v Superman, and rumour has it we will have a Wonder Woman movie by 2019. I think they're waiting to see if Batman v Superman does well.

_________________
I was really surprised the first time I saw a penis. After those banana tutorials, I was expecting something so different. -Tofulish


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4478 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 164, 165, 166, 167, 168, 169, 170 ... 180  Next

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group
Template made by DEVPPL/ThatBigForum and fancied up by What Cheer