| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 183  Next
 Post subject: Re: Who challenges your feminism in your life?
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:23 am 
WELFARIST!

Jigglypuff wrote:
This blogger says she's not going to college because she wants to live under her father's rule until he gives her away to a husband. Barrrrrf.
http://trueloveskissblog.blogspot.com/2 ... llege.html

Oh, I much prefer this one that she wrote: http://trueloveskissblog.blogspot.com/2 ... -dead.html

This is fake, right? I feel like I'm asking that about nearly everything lately.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:41 am 
WRETCHED

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Jigglypuff wrote:
This blogger says she's not going to college because she wants to live under her father's rule until he gives her away to a husband. Barrrrrf.
http://trueloveskissblog.blogspot.com/2 ... llege.html

Oh, I much prefer this one that she wrote: http://trueloveskissblog.blogspot.com/2 ... -dead.html

This is fake, right? I feel like I'm asking that about nearly everything lately.

Actually it seems like there is a group of them that calls themselves stay at home daughters.

On one hand, she is making a decision on how she wants to live her life. Sure she is very naive in her thinking, which can be seen from the chivalry posts and trying to call her 'future husband' prince charming. I'm also guessing she lives in area/community that would support such a lifestyle although it sounds like she hit some bumps with some friends that disagree with her choices.

On the other hand, people like her scare me. They rely on information about the world from second hand sources, most often the male figures in their lives (husband, father, etc). They are the same people who vote against rights for others based on their small world view, judge people by the color of their skin and don't try to understand or embrace diversity.

I also feel for women like her when things go wrong. What would she do if she does get married and her husband is abusive?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:22 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, my heart breaks for this woman. I mean, being a stay at home mom and not going to college are perfectly legit choices. But basing all your choices in life on a belief that you need protection and leadership seems like it really diminishes a person. And the belief that someone knows what's best for you because they're male... No, imma stop here.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:32 am 
Level 7 Vegan

KCRA3 posted a picture on their Facebook page of a female Olympian with the caption "Click to view photos of Olympic eye candy." The link takes you to a slideshow titled "Summer Olympic Goddesses."

So embarrassing!" -just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:11 am 
WELFARIST!

Jigglypuff wrote:
KCRA3 posted a picture on their Facebook page of a female Olympian with the caption "Click to view photos of Olympic eye candy." The link takes you to a slideshow titled "Summer Olympic Goddesses."

Good forking Lard.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:12 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yeah, I had one of those moments recently. I think it was Mother Jones that had a photo gallery from the female boxers in the Olympics. It was titled "Boxing Beauties" or something. I couldn't put my finger on what I hated about the title so much but it really irked me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:56 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm going on vacation after work today and it involves a bike trip down to rhode island where I'll be staying. While some of my luggage is going by car, I had to be able to bike with it to work this morning. So I carry my panniers over to my desk and a coworker is amazed that it's all I'm carrying especially since half of it isn't clothes. He then says it's a 'fact of life' that women have a ton of luggage all the time. Despite the fact that I'm clearly not carrying much luggage. And I know other women who aren't. We basically got into a 'no it's not' 'yes it is' thing for a couple minutes. I didn't even know what to say. *Rage*

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:11 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Jigglypuff wrote:

Uh oh. Maybe I am a bad person for drooling over the AutoStraddle list of hot queer olympians?
To be fair, it was less "eye candy" and more "team L" so maybe it's not so bad.

I was just on the phone with an Official Government Agency and I had to remember my husband's birthday. I told the guy, hang on, i need to get out my cheat sheet. He told me that as a man it's his prerogative to forget dates, but a woman should remember. I laughed and told him, well, i'm atypical, and please don't ask me for our anniversary date, but felt a little irked. Luckily he was otherwise a really helpful guy.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:57 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I know this is minor compared to all the other stuff going on, but I saw a new (to me, anyway) TV commercial for Lean Cuisine that made me all stabby. All the pretty color vegetables they were advertising as being in their entrees were shown split screen with matching colored things - like shoes, dresses, jewelry...

Because obviously LC is marketed to women (every single one of us could lose a few pounds, amirightladies??), and again, obviously women will be doubly excited about weight loss food that also MATCHES MY CUTE NEW PUMPS OMG.

Die in a fire, lean cuisine.

Now I remember why I try to keep a continent between me and New Jersey at all times. -torque

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:40 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

I am somewhat conflicted here. Obviously, I need to lose some pounds, but then how am I supposed to buy those pink, scented menstrual products if my ovaries stop working?

I recently got annoyed at some guys I was in a bar with leering at some teenaged girls wearing tops that were only just covering their bras. Not just briefly, they were having a whole little bonding ritual over it. These were intelligent people who should know better. I called one of them on it afterwards and he told me that it's just a guy thing. Why is trying to belong to the dude in-group an excuse for otherwise nice people to act like douche-bags?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:29 pm 
Semen Strong

A friend of mine asked me to make sure she was never alone with a mutual male friend of ours. I got all up in arms and annoyed that this guy is making my friend feel unsafe and harassed blahblahblah.

No, it turns out that she has been letting him pay for stuff for her and she doesn't want to date him. So apparently it is easier to just tell everyone else that you don't want to be alone with him, than actually tell him that you aren't interested.

And then I feel like a jerk for judging her.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 1:30 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

This woman:

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2012/08/06/fox-news-contributor-female-reporters-envy-ann-romney-for-marrying-a-good-rich-man/

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 2:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

forking people who call themselves progressives but still call women "whores" when they don't agree with their speech or what they choose to do for a living.

----
My friend came into town to visit and I met up with her the other day. She keeps doing this thing where she says "men are like this, and women are like that." I tell her that isn't true and that it's sexist thinking and she agreed that it is sexist but still continues to say it. "Women are all about mind games but men will just punch each other in the face and get it over with." Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I'm sorry that you don't have a backbone and neither does your "friend" but that doesn't mean every woman is as meek as you. It's not a woman thing, it's a YOU thing. Then as we were driving back home she said, "I'm so angry at myself. I was working out and doing well and had a flat stomach and then I ruined it by eating while I was home." *facepalm* There's not an ounce of fat on her, she exercises regularly (and a lot) and eats just fine. IT'S OKAY TO INDULGE! FOOD IS NOT YOUR ENEMY!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 11:50 pm 
WELFARIST!

Oh hey thread, it's me again. Just wanted to rant about another person who has relationship issues and really isn't mature enough to be in one but routinely gets involved with them anyway. This person also thinks that women are one way and men are another way. I'm going to scream the next time they say that women are crazy. That's if I don't scream before I hear about how men are useless and are only put on this planet to have sex with and have them buy us women gifts. Stop basing your idea on people from the shitty relationships you get involved with.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:38 am 
Nailed to the V

Tofulish wrote:
A friend of mine asked me to make sure she was never alone with a mutual male friend of ours. I got all up in arms and annoyed that this guy is making my friend feel unsafe and harassed blahblahblah.

No, it turns out that she has been letting him pay for stuff for her and she doesn't want to date him. So apparently it is easier to just tell everyone else that you don't want to be alone with him, than actually tell him that you aren't interested.

And then I feel like a jerk for judging her.

I don't think that's particularly jerky. Assuming the guy isn't a creep, it's pretty messed up to imply that he is a creep as a means of keeping up the flow of free stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:58 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I've been waiting for a certain video to turn up with English subs:

(there's 2 parts). It's about certain neighbourhoods in Brussels, where women are frequently verbally harassed. A film student made this documentary. It's very recognizable for me and makes me angry. A certain organization made a rebuttal vid (I don't have that one with English subs) and it just makes me projectile vomit. In one of the first sentences the documentary maker is called a cheap prostitute.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:43 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Fisticuffs, I saw that on Terzake a fews weeks ago. I didn't know there was a rebuttal video. I suspect it will enrage me, but can you point me in the direction of the rebuttal.

I'd rather have a cupcake and a matte stomach. - Desdemona

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Yikes, and I wanted to move to Brussels... that is scary!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:00 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Dragonsister, I'm not that familiar with Brussels, but from what I understand, it's only certain neighborhoods where this happens. So don't write of the whole city, but maybe do your research before finding an apartment. Fisticuffs should have better information about this, I suspect.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 12:55 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yes! And I don't think it's necessarily just an issue in Brussels, but more of a large cities problem.

So, a comment that was heard a lot is that the documentary maker focused too much on Arab men. So Sharia4Belgium had to put in their 2 cents. lepelaar, brace yourself!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 5:38 am 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Thanks for posting that, fisticuffs. I got five minutes in (to where he was saying women who don't like it should just move out of the neighborhood) and had to stop watching.

Ugh. Situations like this frustrate the heck out of me. I absolutely think there's an unfair negative focus in the media on certain immigrant groups in Europe (at least in NL and BE, and probably elsewhere, but those are the countries where I'm exposed to the media). But the filmmaker was documenting a daily occurence for a lot of women in large cities that can't be denied. I have more thoughts on the subject, but I'm not feeling particularly articulate right now, so I'll leave it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:00 pm 
Nailed to the V

dragonssister wrote:
Yikes, and I wanted to move to Brussels... that is scary!

Don't worry, frankly the situation is not worse in Brussels than anywhere else!

...Which is NOT that reassuring: verbal harrassment is untolerable. Yet, avoid these places is not, definitely not a solution. Because that's precisely what they want: even uncounsciently, the very reason and goal of harrassment is not to seduce (obviously!), it is to scare -to make you understyand that respectable women belong home, and not in the public space...

So what we have to do is assert our right to go wherever we want. (feminist groups organize group walks etc) (http://www.garance.be/cms/?Anglais)

(SO when are you planning to move?) :-)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:41 pm 
Inflexitarian

Ugh, I hate verbal harassment. Being male it's easy for me to forget it exists (or rather, underestimate its frequency), but walking around with female friends, especially at night, I'm always shocked by how often people yell at us from passing cars. The thought of that being a regular occurrence for my friends (and women anywhere) is infuriating. What kind of person even thinks that is acceptable?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:04 pm 
Huffs Nooch

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. Without fail every single time my wife goes out for a run she'll get some arsehole beeping his horn and/or shouting comments.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:13 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I was once walking through a parking lot at a mall, and a man rolled up in his car beside me - keeping pace with my walking. I ignored him. He rolled down his window and told me the ways in which he'd like to sexually assault me right then and there. Another time, I was walking through an alleyway (admittedly, not the smartest) which was a quick route to get to a convenience store. Two drunk men approached me and one told me I shouldn't be out wandering around and he outta take me into the bushes and rape me. His friend howled laughing. They followed me all the way to the convenience store.

I've learned to be tough as hell, and I will forking yell at people now. I don't keep silent. I get angry. I look them in the eye. I refuse to let them feel like they've successfully victimized me. fork them.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 4554 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40 ... 183  Next