| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Should Scotland be an independent country?
Yes 65%  65%  [ 42 ]
No 8%  8%  [ 5 ]
I don't understand your accent 28%  28%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 65
 Post subject: Should Scotland be an independent country?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:38 pm 
Mediocre Tart

We vote in four weeks' time.

I would like to know what you international people think on this, if you have any opinion at all. I have many, many things to say on the matter as it has consumed my life for the past wee while, more than I thought any kind of political issue would have. Ever. All opinions welcome; while I am resolutely in one direction for an abundance of reasons, I am not so much of an asparagus as to dismiss things out of hand.

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

"I just finished building my Irn Bru cellar!" - Steffers!

Post subject: Re: Should Scotland be an independent country?
PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:43 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

I would like to simultaneously vote for "yes" and "I don't understand your accent."

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:43 pm 
***LIES!!!***

I voted for the third, but my real answer is if the Scottish people will it to be so.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:46 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

I'm Irish, so I'm a very opinionated yes so this issue. I'm not sure it would be economically positive in the short run, but I think it the end it would be the best for everybody. I don't know tons about the Scottish economy though or what the EU situation would be, but the Scottish people have been pissed on long enough, just like the Irish. I should read up on the current vote--any suggested sources?

I hope it passes.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:04 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

If they want to be, sure. But I voted for the third one.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:20 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I feel like I don't know enough about the relevant politics to have an informed opinion, so I too chose the third option.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:20 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

What Ariann and Invictus said

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:55 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I'm a whole hearted yes. I'm appalled by the rhetoric of the London-based media and politicians, and can't shout loudly enough that it doesn't represent the views of anyone I've talked to in England-outside-London. The arguments remind me of the paternalistic claptrap trotted out when India, Ireland and every other economically useful "territory" decided to leave the Empire. I'm optimistic that independence for Scotland will be achieved, and that it will regenerate the left in England. No pressure, Scottish friends, but vote big!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:58 pm 
Mediocre Tart

lavawitch wrote:
I'm Irish, so I'm a very opinionated yes so this issue. I'm not sure it would be economically positive in the short run, but I think it the end it would be the best for everybody. I don't know tons about the Scottish economy though or what the EU situation would be, but the Scottish people have been pissed on long enough, just like the Irish. I should read up on the current vote--any suggested sources?

I hope it passes.

If you want to read 'No' opinions read any of the mainstream media. They are gunning for us. This will not be a fair vote as pretty much all of the press (including the BBC) are anti-independence. There is nothing fair about this vote. The people of Scotland are not being treated fairly in this. I cannot, therefore, give you a neutral source. But, to counter the bias, I give you:

bella caledonia

wings over scotland

national collective

And, my favourite speakers so far on why this movement is so necessary and so urgent:

Kieran Hurley

And Miriam Brett

"I will take a drugged, sex-crazed, punk rock commie over Mrs. Thatch any day of the week" - Vantine

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:22 pm 
Dead by dawn

There is no way I know enough about the issues facing Scotland for my opinion to count for squat. I know how you feel about it and I hope it goes that way simply because if other Scottish folks are nearly as passionate about it as you are then it has to happen.

But I voted that I can't understand your funny accent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:46 pm 
Mediocre Tart

Ruby Rose wrote:
I'm a whole hearted yes. I'm appalled by the rhetoric of the London-based media and politicians, and can't shout loudly enough that it doesn't represent the views of anyone I've talked to in England-outside-London. The arguments remind me of the paternalistic claptrap trotted out when India, Ireland and every other economically useful "territory" decided to leave the Empire. I'm optimistic that independence for Scotland will be achieved, and that it will regenerate the left in England. No pressure, Scottish friends, but vote big!

I love you the mostest and I am right sure the lovely people of England are not represented by the bullshiitake press that is just too overwhelming right now. I stand with Billy Bragg in the hope that this, if it happens, will result in better news for the English regions. I am disgusted at the way the mainstream media are dealing with this. fork them.

This, as far as I am concerned, is a chance to start again. A chance to rethink what a country can be in this world in this century. I am sick of being told I am not good enough by virtue of where I am from, where I live.

Rip it up and start again.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

I think it should; but I am also not thoroughly informed. It's not really comparable, but many people of Quebec still think they should be an independent country from Canada; but I don't agree with that because the population is too low to carry a sustainable economy, and it is prohibitive for Canadians who want to study/work in Quebec for culture/education/professional opportunities/language immersion.

I've lived in two poorer provinces in Canada (and one very rich one) and despite our differences spanning a massive country with a small (per capita) populations; the Federal government does help us out.

Again, it's been a long time since I've felt educated on the Scotland situation. But I do love Scotland so they can do whatever the fork they want as far as I'm concerned.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes! We've got our fingers crossed for you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:19 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

interrobang?! wrote:
I am sick of being told I am not good enough by virtue of where I am from, where I live.

Funny how they can shiitake on you all the time but when you want out all of a sudden they can't live without you.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:28 pm 
Mediocre Tart

pandacookie wrote:
interrobang?! wrote:
I am sick of being told I am not good enough by virtue of where I am from, where I live.

Funny how they can shiitake on you all the time but when you want out all of a sudden they can't live without you.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:37 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

1992 mix tape, right before TLC.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:45 pm 
Mediocre Tart

And after Prince. I mean, Squiggle.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:57 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Did you seriously just post a Shakespeare's Sister video?

That does it, not only do I want Scotland to get independence, I want you to be very high up in the new government.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

I Wanna Vote With U

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:36 pm 
A Bad Person

Most of my family is descended from Scottish immigrants. I can't pretend to know why they left Scotland, and I'm so far from the generation that left that I have no connection to Scotland whatsoever.

I would like to see an independent Scotland.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:43 pm 
Chip Strong

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Did you seriously just post a Shakespeare's Sister video?

That does it, not only do I want Scotland to get independence, I want you to be very high up in the new government.

YES.

Also, if Australia's completely evil toerag of a Prime Minister reckons that Scotland shouldn't be independent (because he's a forking monarchist, why are Australians even monarchists? I just don't understand)... then obviously I am bound by common sense and all that is good in the world to disagree with him.

But I also know very little about the situation. My gut feeling from what little I do know (and having spent some time in Edinburgh a few years ago) is basically what you guys have said - it seems like many people in Scotland may want independence, and England is just being a jerk about it. Unsurprisingly. I'm pretty much just pro liberation from British colonial rule for everyone. And I still do not understand why Australia voted no in the referendum to become a republic back when I was a kid. Is it because we like winning the Commonwealth Games so much? (I'm only sorta being sarcastic).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:47 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Hells yeah! Fingers crossed.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:42 am 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Yes! (was going to write more but basically it's what Ruby Rose said!)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:12 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

Yes!! And as always the mainstream media is a total joke. Ugh.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:56 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Aaaggh! Just typed a long reply and forgot to submit before voting so lost it all.

I'm an English jerk, so I am going to chime in!

I haven't read much on the subject because I don't really think it is any of my business. I don't know how it will affect England but that isn't the point - it is for the Scottish people to decide. From the little I have read (nothing in-depth, just a few articles from both sides of the border), there is bias on both sides as there always is - Westminster says everything will go horribly wrong, Salmond says everything will be fine. The reality is probably somewhere in between the two.

I think the problem in situations like this is that votes are often based on passion rather than rational thought. I know a lot of Scots will have read widely on the subject and will make their decision wisely, but a lot will also vote Yes just because they don't like the English without giving any real thought to how the alternative might work for them. The same will happen if/when Britain (or whatever we end up as!) has a referendum on leaving the EU - a lot of people will base their vote on a 20 year old Daily Mail story about the EU banning bendy bananas, my Dad included.

I was living in Australia when the republic referendum happened. Of course, there was biased reporting then too which my FIL was furious about, but he was a member of a pro-republic organisation and he couldn't tell me how a new head of state would be appointed. As far I as remember, different pro-republic groups had different ideas about how it should be done and I think that uncertainty affected the vote. For a lot of immigrants moving away from more volatile political situations, the vote was probably more pro-stability than anti-republic.

For the record, and based on gut feeling rather than any in-depth research, I think Scotland should be an independent country, that Britain should remain in the EU and that Australia should be a republic. I also think there are often too many unanswered questions about the consequences of a decision either way in all of those debates.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 187 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next