| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Daiya Boycott
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Daiya published recipes with meat on their site. Their site shut down after a bunch of backlash comments. Now some vegans put up a Facebook page to boycott Daiya:

https://www.facebook.com/daiyahurtsanimals

I'm undecided. I buy my groceries from stores that also sell meat. OTOH, I think at the least it is good for Daiya to know who their customers are.

Thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Daiya Boycott
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:14 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I have a coworker who has a son that is lactose intolerant she buys Daiya and puts it on meat. I imagine she's not the only one.

Anyway, when a local veg group posted the site with the meaty recipes it looked like they were user-submitted, and there were things added by the company like "try this with Tofurkey slices instead!" so I don't see why people flipped over this. Like 2% of my groceries are from companies that ONLY sell vegan products.

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:43 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Yeah I've never had Daiya being British and all, but I know I've seen companies here that make "dairy free" items (like milk etc) with websites that show non-vegan recipes.

I suppose unless a company explicitly advertises itself as "vegan" I never assume that it is. I think there are actually quite a lot of people out there who avoid dairy for reasons other than veganism. If I assumed everyone who got a soy milk latte in starbucks was vegan, well, I think I'd probably double the vegan population in the world.

I don't know if Daiya ever claimed to be exclusively vegan, but if they didn't, then what is the problem? I buy lots of things that don't come from vegan companies. I'm not entirely sure what I'd be able to eat if I didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:28 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Yeah, I think this has been blown pretty badly out of proportion. Vegans are absolutely not the only Daiya customers! That said, Daiya is typically a fixture at vegetarian festivals so I can kind of see why people are finding this conflicting.

I do remember getting a Daiya coupon and there was a couple food pictures on it, and I think one might have been a chicken breast or something. And for a brief moment I was shocked because I had forgotten about them not being vegan. Annnnd then I used the coupon.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 10:14 am 
WELFARIST!

Non-dairy cheese isn't just for vegans, so...?

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:03 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

I'm happy to share my Daiya with non-vegans. It means more demand for Daiya, and more access to Daiya for me.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:13 am 
Asked Santa for a pony

I know that in the grand scheme of things it isn't that many people who have liked this page... but it still makes me sad for veganism and the animal rights movement. It's just so demonstrative of the trouble we have keeping our eyes on the prize, and frankly makes us look more ridiculous than PETA. I personally don't like daiya in most applications, but if omnivores like it enough to make the switch that is AMAZING and has the potential to save the lives of millions of animals a year. I actually like that they're advertising to the non-vegan crowd and hope they keep it up.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:40 am 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

^Heartily agreed. I think the boycott is ridiculous, counterproductive, and petty. To my knowledge, Daiya has never presented itself as being an ethically vegan company. I don't know why they have more of an obligation to behave that way than any other company that makes vegan products but is not an ethical vegan company that advertises as such.

All that isn't to mention that to me, it looked like those recipes were submitted by readers/customers/fans/whatever, which makes it even stupider and more shitty to boycott on that basis.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:55 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Talk about biting the hand that feeds you! Keep on Keeping on Daiya.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:56 am 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

^ with you all on this. It would be different if they claimed to be an ethical vegan company. I also think there are bigger things to be getting angry about, that Flaco's shiitake for example.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:49 pm 
rowdily playing checkers

Quote:
We welcome any and all opinions. Hopefully they are factual, logical, and reasonable... because we will respond with fact, logic, and reason. Our argument isn't an emotional one, but a rational one. What Daiya has done and continues to do is irrational, illogical, and unethical. If you would like a debate, bring it... but we ask you kindly that you to avoid the logical fallacies of "welfarism" and it's cousin: speciesism. We are here to educate and defend/speak for the animals. Thank you.

There aren't enough eye rolls in the world.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:09 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Yes, because sacrificing the good for the perfect NEVER DOESN'T WORK. History is littered with the triumphs of absolutists while those foolish dolts who cowardly reached compromises cry themselves to sleep at night with their friends and progress.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:24 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I agree that this seems silly. I don't think Daiya ever claimed to be a vegan company. Isn't their "thing" just being free of the most common allergens?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:36 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Nebraskalaska wrote:
I know that in the grand scheme of things it isn't that many people who have liked this page... but it still makes me sad for veganism and the animal rights movement. It's just so demonstrative of the trouble we have keeping our eyes on the prize, and frankly makes us look more ridiculous than PETA. I personally don't like daiya in most applications, but if omnivores like it enough to make the switch that is AMAZING and has the potential to save the lives of millions of animals a year. I actually like that they're advertising to the non-vegan crowd and hope they keep it up.

Cosign! Not only do I not see a reason to boycott Daiya, I'm sad that some vegans are boycotting it. If Daiya were to take off among omnis, it would be that much better for dairy cows! I would much rather boycott palm oil.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:52 pm 
Nailed to the V

joyfulgirl wrote:
I agree that this seems silly. I don't think Daiya ever claimed to be a vegan company. Isn't their "thing" just being free of the most common allergens?

That's always been my impression. I remember reading that the founders were long-time vegans who were disappointed by most vegan cheese, but I don't remember them really touching on ethics, just allergies.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:53 pm 
WRETCHED

This sounds like the most ridiculous thing ever, give me a forking break. I don't even buy daiya but those boycott vegans, yes they are the ones that give vegans a bad name. forking vegans.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It reminds me of people who said they weren't going to buy Almond Breeze anymore because of the new touch of honey flavor.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:28 pm 
WELFARIST!

"Daiya Hurts Animals"- seriously, people?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:41 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

ah, that is the dumbest facebook ever. only 190 likes, which is good, but even that many still sucks.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:58 pm 
Chip Strong

Not boycotting. As long as Daiya's still vegan, I'm still buying it. A meaty Facebook picture doesn't bother me. It's an omnivore world.

I don't buy only from 100% vegan companies, nor would I until perhaps that far off day when vegans are in the majority.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:35 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I don't have access to Daiya, but boycotting it because they have non-vegan recipes on their website seems ridiculous. Do the same people boycott fruit & veg from their supermarket or market because they also sell non-vegan foods? Where on earth do these perfect vegans buy their vegan foods?

Some people can be very silly sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:18 pm 
WRETCHED

And I decided to engage but I've disengaged now. Really? We can't celebrate people eating _less_ animal products? And an economy that has frankly stunk, if you want to expand your business, sounds like a good way to try to appeal to people who aren't vegan. I rather see companies with vegan products try to expand into non-vegan markets than try to cater to vegans.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Why aren't all of these same people boycotting Galaxy products and company. They market a dairy free cheese product that contains casein and isn't vegan at all!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:39 pm 
WRETCHED

Not only that but I checked various companies with vegan products, Gardein and Tofutti both have non-vegan recipes on their site. Better start boycotting those too. And I also want to see where these people shop because every place I go sells non-vegan products, except for Pangea which sells products from companies that may also sell non-vegan products.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2014 1:56 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

School those boycotters linanil!