| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:54 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just took my first batch of the Swiss Fudge cookies (forgot what the actual recipe is called) out of the oven. They look and smell delicious, and the dough tasted delicious. Also, had lots of fun playing with my new cookie press. I think my cookie press is smaller than what the recipe calls for -- I made three dozen, and still have a ton of dough left. I'll bake some more once the cookie sheets cool down. I haven't made the chocolate part yet, because I don't really have room in my kitchen to do that many things at once, but I'll get the chocolate in later.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:21 am 
Naked Under Apron

These swiss fudge cookies turned out amazingly well. The chocolate part isn't as sweet as I remember it being, but it all tastes amazing. I had to put them all into a container and put it out of sight so that I won't eat them all instead of bringing them into the office.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:59 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Larisa wrote:
I just took my first batch of the Swiss Fudge cookies (forgot what the actual recipe is called) out of the oven. They look and smell delicious, and the dough tasted delicious. Also, had lots of fun playing with my new cookie press. I think my cookie press is smaller than what the recipe calls for -- I made three dozen, and still have a ton of dough left. I'll bake some more once the cookie sheets cool down. I haven't made the chocolate part yet, because I don't really have room in my kitchen to do that many things at once, but I'll get the chocolate in later.

Yeah, cookie press sizes tend to be all over the place. I think mine is preternaturally large for a press.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:58 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

So, I've loved everything I've made out of this book so far. Last night I made the cheesecake brownies for a party at work. The cheesecake top was jiggly when I took it out, but I cooked it for the amount of time given in the recipe and figured that the firming up time in the fridge would fix it.
This morning the topping was quite a bit like frosting. Is that the right consistency? Should I have baked it longer? The brownies still tasted fine, but they were a bit messy to eat. I was expecting something a bit firmer.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:27 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Cowboy cookies are my personal favorite...very big and filling. I gave 2 of them to a friend at work and she had them for lunch for a couple of days. My partner loves the pignoli cookies...I make him buy the almond paste if he wants them though...stuff ain't cheap. I loved the Mexican Snickerdoodle...the cayenne was subtle...just perfect. The chocolate chip cookies are the ones I have memorized from repetition, I make them once a week.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 11:07 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I had way more swiss fudge cookies than I'd expected, so I brought the extras to the marathon exam-grading session today, and everybody loved them. Several people asked for the recipe, and the supervisor actually interrupted the grading to tell everybody that they had to try the cookies.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:16 am 

Has anyone made the blondies? I've heard a lot of praise for the PB blondies, but I'm wondering how the regular ones are. I'm thinking of making them as part of my Christmas cookie extravaganza. Or, if the PB ones are way better, do you think you could add chocolate chips? Because I need something containing chocolate chips...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:10 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Larisa wrote:
I had way more swiss fudge cookies than I'd expected, so I brought the extras to the marathon exam-grading session today, and everybody loved them. Several people asked for the recipe, and the supervisor actually interrupted the grading to tell everybody that they had to try the cookies.

Are these the Starry Fudge Shortbread cookies? I've been wanting to try those!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:59 pm 
Naked Under Apron

I just turned the buttery cutouts into stained glass biscuits for work colleagues and then I was forced to make the chocolate cutouts too, amazing.

I also made a batch of breakfast cookies to take away on business and they rocked.

Mat.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:36 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Tomorrow is baking day! My sister and I will be making repeats of Lazy Samoas, Chocolate Cutouts, Chocolate Chip, gingerbread cutouts and my personal favorite - the chocolate chip chai shortbread!! We'll also be trying the Peanut Apple Pretzel cookies for the first time. We'll also be making the most-often-demanded VWAV Ginger Sparkles and Terry's Favorite Almond Cookies from VCON. This will be my sister's first all vegan, all gluten free cookie baking day!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:15 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

I just made the starry fudge shortbread cookies. I didn't have the right size tip, so I used a cookie press to press the shapes. I had a little trouble with them. The first few stuck to the pan really bad, so I tried to do the next ones on parchment paper, but the dough didn't have anything to "grip" so it just hung out on the press, but wouldn't come off. I also tried lightly greasing the cookie sheet, and that had mixed results. I also don't really know how to use this darn press well, so that could have been the problem. They are delicious, though.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:12 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

We just made the gingerbread cutouts tonight and they are fantastic!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:03 pm 
Chard Martyr

egarmon wrote:
Has anyone made the blondies? I've heard a lot of praise for the PB blondies, but I'm wondering how the regular ones are. I'm thinking of making them as part of my Christmas cookie extravaganza. Or, if the PB ones are way better, do you think you could add chocolate chips? Because I need something containing chocolate chips...

Are you referring to the "Don't Call Me Blondies?" Because if you are, yes, I've made them, as well as the PB Blondies. They were very good. The PB Blondies were more oily (I didn't take the PB oil into consideration, which is what I would do next time I make them- I think others had the same problem the first time making them). Make them! Throw some chips in!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:13 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I just made the choco chip cookies again. I love how simple, fast, and easy they are - and that they only require one mixing bowl. If everyone knew how easy it was to make these, no one would ever get store-bought cookies.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:20 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I just made the Blackstrap Gingersnaps and the Caramel Pecan Bars. Both were excellent and people were raving about the caramel bars. I used walnuts instead of pecans though and it was excellent. Both were super easy to make. I'm so happy to have a great gingersnap recipe. It reminds me of being a kid!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:46 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

MelanieC wrote:
I just made the Blackstrap Gingersnaps and the Caramel Pecan Bars. Both were excellent and people were raving about the caramel bars. I used walnuts instead of pecans though and it was excellent. Both were super easy to make. I'm so happy to have a great gingersnap recipe. It reminds me of being a kid!

Those gingersnaps are amazing!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 3:09 pm 
Tofu Pup

I totally agree 'deearess' - I just made the Chocolate Chip Chai Spice Shortbread. So yummy! And the dough seems very forgiving... I softened the margarine a bit too much, but the dough was easy to handle and the cookies taste great. I used one tea bag of peppermint chai - delicious!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:44 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I made the cowboy cookies on friday and they were amazing! I took them to my family's house, and my brother-in-law took a few of them and put them at the top of the kitchen cabinet so he could eat them all weekend!

Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar - Minonos
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:26 am 

I made these vegan milanos tonight. They came out like jaw-breakers even though I purposely made each one as thin as I could. I'm sure they will be great for dunking in coffee or tea, but is there any way I can get them to be softer? I read somewhere maybe add some silken tofu?

Tell you the truth, I find that many of the vegan cookies come out a bit too crisp, again, still delicious but better to dunk.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:28 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

lionandlamb wrote:
I made these vegan milanos tonight. They came out like jaw-breakers even though I purposely made each one as thin as I could. I'm sure they will be great for dunking in coffee or tea, but is there any way I can get them to be softer? I read somewhere maybe add some silken tofu?

Tell you the truth, I find that many of the vegan cookies come out a bit too crisp, again, still delicious but better to dunk.

Hmmm, could it be possible your oven temperature is off? Otherwise, maybe reducing the baking time?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:29 am 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Also, Cowboy Cookies rock. I made them as bars, my co-workers raved.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:41 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

VeganNewbie wrote:
I totally agree 'deearess' - I just made the Chocolate Chip Chai Spice Shortbread. So yummy! And the dough seems very forgiving... I softened the margarine a bit too much, but the dough was easy to handle and the cookies taste great. I used one tea bag of peppermint chai - delicious!

I don't know what I did this time. Mine were a total fail. I was really tired this afternoon and am wondering if I just put it in too much flour. I couldn't get the dough to hold together for anything. Will try again in the next couple days

I did however get a total win with the peanut apple pretzel drops. Oh.my.gosh! My mom gave me my favorite cookie compliment: "No one would EVER guess these are gluten free"

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:07 am 

dakini wrote:
lionandlamb wrote:

Hmmm, could it be possible your oven temperature is off? Otherwise, maybe reducing the baking time?

You could be right Dakini ... I have a bad habit of overbaking for fear of underbaking. Have you made the Minonos ... and they came out soft-ish, like real Milanos?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:05 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

dakini wrote:
lionandlamb wrote:

Maybe the cookies were TOO thin? They'd probably cook through faster and be more likely to overbake. Generally, really thin cookies are pretty crispy.

I mentioned it in the brown sugar thread, but when my cookies seem dry and hard I put a piece of bread in the cookie container. They take moisture from the bread and soften up a little. It might help with the cookies you've already made.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:10 pm 
Nailed to the V

My husband and I made Christmas cookies this weekend -- we chose the carrot raisin chewies and the oh la las (but we cut them into Christmas shapes instead of circles). Both turned out delicious, but I was surprised that the filing for the oh la las was play dough like in consistency (just like Oreos) instead of like a frosting. I had to knead it for it to come together because it just formed crumbs in my mixer. Anyone making this recipe who thinks they are having a frosting fail should not give up hope.

That brings me to 5 recipes tried from this book so far: Citrus Glitters, Cowboy Cookies, Espresso Oatmeal Cookies and these too. My favorites so far were the Citrus Glitters. So pretty and fluffy and citrusy.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next