| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Candida Support thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:06 am 
Baking In The Flavor

I know its been kind of covered in the no sugar thread but I know enough of us have it that we probably just need its own thread.

I've had Candida for a few years now and am having such a horrible time trying to get rid of it. What luck have you guys had? I've gone completely yeast free and its keeping it primarily at bay.

Post subject: Re: Candida Support thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:43 am 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

BunniesRevenge wrote:
I know its been kind of covered in the no sugar thread but I know enough of us have it that we probably just need its own thread.

I've had Candida for a few years now and am having such a horrible time trying to get rid of it. What luck have you guys had? I've gone completely yeast free and its keeping it primarily at bay.

I have been trying for the last year to get rid of it with food with no luck so I got a prescription from my doctor for flucozonal. It is supposed to relieve symptoms within 3 days, well day is here and I am still feeling the effects. I am hoping tomorrow will be better and taking my probiotics and other supplements along with the diet will help.

Are you just yeast free or do you avoid, sugar, vinegar & fungi as well?

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:43 am 

Also, thank you for starting this thread!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:21 am 
Built this city on rock and roll

Maybe you guys want to check out this blog:
http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/
Ricki develops her recipes for people who suffer from candida.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:46 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I tried the "diet" for almost 2 years. It was almost impossible to stick to. Every time I got close to feeling better I wound up on more antibiotics. About 5 months ago my GYN gave me a prescription for diflucan and it worked! I took it 2 times once in august and once in September and I feel so much better! I still try to limit most yeasty foods and I drink the nasty apple cider juice almost every day. I haven't had a yeast infection since then and my skin and digestion is 100 times better!
The most important part is I can drink beer and not feel like I'm going to die again!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:48 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Yeah, there doesn't seem to be any good data showing the diet to be effective compared to a regular healthy diet (certainly not for chronic fatigue) or evidence that a high sugar diet affects colonization in healthy individuals. I did come across one paper that says glucose tolerance is impaired in people with recurrent vaginal candidiasis (ref), and that's not really evidence for the "systemic candidiasis" line either. I suspect that a subset of people also notice a difference because they stop eating something that didn't agree with them for other reasons. Fructose malabsorption is relatively common and lots of the foods that are on the "avoid" list are high in fructose and fructans.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:14 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

Momo wrote:
BunniesRevenge wrote:

Are you just yeast free or do you avoid, sugar, vinegar & fungi as well?

actually all I did was cute out food that had yeast involved. Beer (that was the hardest), wine, pizza, bread, pita, everything. Including stuff that had yeast extract. (nooch doesn't bother me at all luckily, someone actually told me that it kills candida?) The only time I get a yeast infection or any other major issues is if I goof and have something I'm not suppose to. Its keeping it ok but hasn't fully gotten rid of it. I tried the diet but I got 3 infections in a month and a half while I was on it. Something isn't working

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

I <3 Diflucan.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:35 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

so theres an actual pill? Every doctor and every thing I looked up online said there wasn't a pill. what the fizzle?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:33 pm 

Yep Diflucan and it is crazy cheap! I pay $4 but I think with out insurance it is $15.
My doctor wouldn't give it to me at first. It took almost 5 years of frequent yeast infection and 2 years of almost constant high levels of yeast at paps. It is bad for your liver I think.

The Yeast free diet has to start out with at least 2 weeks of no yeast, no sugar, no dairy(not an issue here) no vinegar no fungi with high levels of Acidophilus. Then some of those can be added back in gradually. It was one of the hardest 'diets' I ever tried and every time I made progress-*POW* staph infection or strep throat and back to the beginning!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:15 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Has anyone tried Candex? I had some crazy yeast issues after my baby was born and even lots of diflucan couldn't knock out the yeast. Candex cleared it up completely in a couple of months so it might be worth looking in to. ( I also eliminated all refined sugar, yeast and gluten while I was taking it).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 7:36 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I'm curious how you all feel AFTER taking the pills. Because its happened a bunch where I'll take a pill it goes away while I'm taking it and then comes immediately back after I'm done with the pills. Does it mess up your system at all, did the candida ever come back, do you have to stay on the anti-candida diet after your done with the pills?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:00 pm 

My doctor prescribed me flucozonal, not diflucan. I'm just teeping the benefits today, finally and I plan on staying on the anti candida diet because I we are trying to start a family and I know I won't be able to take the pills again and while you are pregnant your risk of yeast infections increases dramatically so I really don't want to take any chances. Being on the diet is difficult but I really do feel a millions times better, the only thing that sucks is always having to make your own meals and rarely eating out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:35 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Momo wrote:
My doctor prescribed me flucozonal, not diflucan. I'm just teeping the benefits today, finally and I plan on staying on the anti candida diet because I we are trying to start a family and I know I won't be able to take the pills again and while you are pregnant your risk of yeast infections increases dramatically so I really don't want to take any chances. Being on the diet is difficult but I really do feel a millions times better, the only thing that sucks is always having to make your own meals and rarely eating out.

Fluconazole is the generic for Diflucan.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:23 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

I've taken fluconozole a few times determined to take care of this candida problem once and for all. Even my naturopath suggested an anti-fungal drug like it because you have to get rid of it all to solve such a chronic problem.
Big side effect was that it made my stomach hurt like crazy for a couple days. But it's worked and afterwards for as long as I'm able to stick to a good diet my body does great :-D. But I always make a waste of it and wind up back on the sugar after a few months :-(.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:11 am 

rabidchild wrote:
Momo wrote:

Fluconazole is the generic for Diflucan.

oh, well there ya go, I learned something. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:09 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am supposed to take flucozonal, but when i picked it up and read the side effects I got scared. Potential death from liver failure? Not sure what to do now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

vegetable_assassin wrote:
Potential death from liver failure?

holy fork! Thats really scary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:10 am 

I completely forgot that I am not supposed to have leftovers. This whole time I have been making big bathces of food I can have and keeping it in the fridge for several days. My freezer is packed with other crepe and there is no room to put anything else in there....I wonder if that's why I am still suffering.

I felt good for about a day after taking the Flucozonale but I think I may need to refill the prescription, I feel like I am right back at square one.

Also, Has anyone successfully been pregnant & vegan while follow this diet?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:05 pm 

Momo wrote:
I completely forgot that I am not supposed to have leftovers.

Also, Has anyone successfully been pregnant & vegan while follow this diet?
I'm just wondering if anyone has been successful on the diet....it is almost impossible! Why can't you have left overs?

FYI on the side effects...The good of the medicine will out way the risks. If you have liver issues don't take it. I drink with it and have never had an issue(and the pharmacist said it was ok). Tylenol is probably worse for your liver-tylenol is so bad for you and people have no clue.
What doses are people being Prescribed? I get a one time pill. The first time I took it once then again one month later. The last time I got 4 to take one week apart.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:31 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

Intesresting thing my naturopath admitted to me yesterday - she said she thinks that vegans and vegetarians may be more prone to candida issues than non-veg heads (she's vegan too.) I didn't ask her to explain because we had a lot of other things to talk about. But she said that it was something that over the years she'd be resisting admitting, and finally had to accept that it might be the case (at least in her experience with herself and her patients.) I will ask her to tell me more the next time I see her.

On another note, anyone here drink kombucha before going on an anti-candida diet? I realised yesterday that most of my *insane* sugar cravings and other health issues started last July, right after I started drinking and making my own kombucha. I know it's supposed to have good yeasties in it, but now I'm wondering if even the good yeast triggered an over all freak out in my body.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:55 am 
Baking In The Flavor

Epicurvegan wrote:
Intesresting thing my naturopath admitted to me yesterday - she said she thinks that vegans and vegetarians may be more prone to candida issues than non-veg heads (she's vegan too.) I didn't ask her to explain because we had a lot of other things to talk about. But she said that it was something that over the years she'd be resisting admitting, and finally had to accept that it might be the case (at least in her experience with herself and her patients.) I will ask her to tell me more the next time I see her.

On another note, anyone here drink kombucha before going on an anti-candida diet? I realised yesterday that most of my *insane* sugar cravings and other health issues started last July, right after I started drinking and making my own kombucha. I know it's supposed to have good yeasties in it, but now I'm wondering if even the good yeast triggered an over all freak out in my body.

First of all I really hope that it's not true that vegans are more prone :( Maybe its because out diets tend to be much more alkaline?

and i agree on the kombucha!!! When I was drinking the stuff a few times a day is when it started to get bad, and now whenever I have the stuff I get an infection. I cut out all yeast, even the kombucha and I am doing much better. I don't think it matters where the yeast is coming from, just that your ingesting it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:03 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Epicurvegan wrote:
Intesresting thing my naturopath admitted to me yesterday - she said she thinks that vegans and vegetarians may be more prone to candida issues

For some reason, I'd suspected this. We tend to eat a lot more wheat and other glutinous grains and I wondered if it would be taxing on our bodies. I would love to know what your naturopath says, but at the same time, I want to stick my fingers in my ears and sing Mary Had a Little Lamb.

On a related note, my mother's issues are similar to mine and she's never been vegetarian, let alone vegan.

I started an ACD in January to start to figure out stomach issues and to get my rosacea under control. Since there is a lot of conflicting info online for what this means, this is what I'm avoiding:

gluten
sugar
peanuts and cashews*
yeast, both active and non-active
mushrooms
anything fermented (alcohol, vinegar, kombucha, sauerkraut, etc)

*I've eated cashews twice - once a small handful of roasted nuts and yesterday I had a larabar. My stomach groaned and my face flushed for a couple of hours.

So far, with the exception of the nuts and a bowl of pho which seemed to upset my stomach, I've been feeling pretty good. No bloating. No loud stomach groans. Cleared facial skin. I still have what I think is tinea versicolor on my back and stomach, which is a yeast issue, but I'm not sure how related it is to candida.

You guys have been diagnosed by a doctor? My GP was pretty useless and I can't afford a naturopath, so I'm just trying this on my own.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:38 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

mishka wrote:
I started an ACD in January to start to figure out stomach issues and to get my rosacea under control. Since there is a lot of conflicting info online for what this means, this is what I'm avoiding:

gluten
sugar
peanuts and cashews*
yeast, both active and non-active
mushrooms
anything fermented (alcohol, vinegar, kombucha, sauerkraut, etc)

*I've eated cashews twice - once a small handful of roasted nuts and yesterday I had a larabar. My stomach groaned and my face flushed for a couple of hours.

So far, with the exception of the nuts and a bowl of pho which seemed to upset my stomach, I've been feeling pretty good. No bloating. No loud stomach groans. Cleared facial skin. I still have what I think is tinea versicolor on my back and stomach, which is a yeast issue, but I'm not sure how related it is to candida.

You guys have been diagnosed by a doctor? My GP was pretty useless and I can't afford a naturopath, so I'm just trying this on my own.

Nooooo! Not the cashews! They're the only nut I eat almost exclusively :( And nooch! *cries*

I was diagnosed by a doctor 10 years ago, and now my current ND said that all of my symptoms are pointing to a pretty significant candida overgrowth. I'm feeling a bit skeptical about it, mostly because I'm concerned about candida being trotted out too often as a reason for some of the symptoms I have (fatigue, some digestive upset, fuzzy-feeling head, unusual poor memory, among others). These same symptoms are also due to anemia (I am severely anemic) and hypothyroidism (which runs in my family and I may have.)

I've had tinea versicolour too - it started with a pinky-tip-sized patch under my bra line on my chest when I was 15. It never went away and never spread until I was in my 20s, and then it was all over the back of my neck, shoulders, and upper chest. I used anti-dandruff shampoos on it at the time, which worked but I ended up having an allergic reaction to something in them. A year and a half ago it got so bad I was put on a heavy-duty oral antifungal that had really awful side-effects but worked really well. I haven't had a reoccurence since, but I think it's just a matter of time. I've read that this tinea versicolour is related to candida in that it's an external symptom of a general yeast overgrowth in the body. It's apparently not contagious, though incidentally my boyfriend has it too (I think he's got more serious dietary issues than I do and just happened to develop it as well, though his is the beige kind while my patches are usually of the red type.)

Anyway, I will be seeing my ND again next week and I'll report back on what she says about candida in vegans and vegetarians.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:32 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Epicurvegan wrote:
I've had tinea versicolour too

So strange that you both have the skin condition - does he experience anything else yeast-related? It would make cooking in your home a bit easier if you both had to follow a candida diet :)

So, I said that I was avoiding even non-active yeast, not realising that Daiya contained some. And I just bought a whole whack of it and ate some for lunch. There is conflicting info online about whether nutritional yeast contibutes to candida, so I think I'm going to allow it. Because I may lose my will to live otherwise.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 55 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next