| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Do you and your SO have the same diet?
We are both vegan 38%  38%  [ 67 ]
We are both vegetarian 2%  2%  [ 3 ]
SO is vegetarian, and I am vegan 13%  13%  [ 24 ]
I am vegetarian, and SO is vegan 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
SO is an omni, and I am vegan 40%  40%  [ 71 ]
SO is an omni, and I am vegetarian 6%  6%  [ 11 ]
I am omni, and SO is vegan/vegetarian 1%  1%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 178
 Post subject: Re: Are you and your SO both veg?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 3:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

my boyfriend is omni and i am vegan. we eat separate meals (usually at separate times of the day). sometimes, as a date night sort of thing, we'll cook a vegan meal together that he picks out (i will eat anything that is vegan for the most part, he is pickier, so i let him choose).

it works.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:21 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I'm a vegetarian, my boyfriend eats meat. We mostly eat vegan at home. We've lived together almost two years and he's cooked meat at home less than a dozen times by my estimation. He's mostly happy to cook vegan food or eat the food I cook. We both like to cook and I was pleasantly surprised that he took to vegan cooking so easily. He's pretty cool like that.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:25 pm 
Dildo Queen

my ex-bff and i used to cook together all the time, and he was vegan. so i think that's why i'm missing that kind of company, because i can't do that stuff with him anymore. it was so much fun! oh well. more FOR ME

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:01 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Both vegan. Hurray! He was vegetarian for the health benefits for a little while, and then he slipped back into eating meat (he's in a very rural place and didn't previously cook for himself most of the time), but he went vegan at the beginning of this school year and has stuck with it. Methinks as long as he cooks with me and eats my food, he'll stick with it.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:17 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

We're both vegan, and have been for the entire length of our relationship. He went veg about a year before we got together, and went vegan shortly after.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 6:47 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I am vegan, and my husband is omni. I cook two meals, which, being that he eats like a six year old and I love trying new things, would happen anyway. Basically, I'll make spaghetti sauce, then divide it before I add meat to half, and extra veggies to the rest. I try to keep the freezer stocked with soups, etc. for me, then will toss together something quick for him. I've done it a long time, and it works pretty well. The house is always stocked with grab and go fruits and veggies, and it just takes a little planning to get us through the week. We have such crazy schedules, we rarely eat together anyway, and dining out we choose something we both like. Vegan restaurants are a special treat, and it makes my day when he suggests we go. He's worth the hassle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:38 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

We were both long-time vegetarians when we met 34 years ago, and raised our 2 kids veg. Then we both went vegan, under the influence of our son, about 11 years ago. While I don't believe the whole world will ever go veg, I'd be very uncomfortable with anyone but a vegan at this point. So kudos for all of you managing mixed relationships, and being positive influences on your SOs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:56 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I am a vegan, my SO is vegetarian. We both cook often, and he eats all the vegan things I make. Sometimes he has a bag of cheese in the fridge and will put it on his pizza or enchiladas or stromboli, but thats about it. We eat the same meals, just sometimes he adds cheese to his. It dosen't bother me, but I do wish he would be more open to the idea of possibly becoming vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 7:59 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Not yet!

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:04 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

We are both vegan, though he sways a little, but not often. Sometimes he'll just eat something with mayo, or cheese, but at home we eat all vegan meals.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:24 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I'm vegan and he's omni. I do all of the cooking so everything we eat is vegan. Once in a while he will add something non vegan to it but usually eats it as is. When we go out he eats meat and I am happy for that because the more meat he eats out of the house the less he needs to eat here. Most of the non vegan things he eats are done late at night when I'm asleep (popcorn, mac n cheese, sandwiches.)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:25 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

My daughter and I are vegan & my partner is an omini. He refuses to eat vegan food 90% of the time, so his second home is a drive through window. His loss.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:33 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

when we got together, I was vegan, he worked in a butchery.... and was known by many of his friends as 'the meat guy'.
in 2007 he said to me I'd never get him to eat tofu.
now, we eat tofu 3+ times a week, and he recently ditched all dairy but cheese.
He will eat meat at family dinners [though a lot less than he used to] but other than that he eats 95% vegan. At this stage he's not interested at all in trying to make it 100% and I'm completely fine with that, but he loves all the vegan cooking and baking I do, and often says after having an animal-product-heavy meal elsewhere that he feels a bit sick and would have preferred my version, so I'm happy enough with that for now : )

it also probably helps that he doesn't/can't cook and is incredibly lazy/procrastinatory [not a word, whatever] so will always choose food he hasn't had to prepare over food he has to prepare himself.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:37 am 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

I'm vegan and my husband is omni. But, I do all of the cooking and he loves everything I cook. The only meat he buys is lunch meat and he'll sometimes get meat if we go out. He also works pretty odd hours, so he'll stop and get food on the way home if he's working really late.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:47 am 

I'm vegan and my husband is ovo-vegetarian. He just loves eggs and so the only non-vegan thing he eats is eggs from the farm where we get our CSA share. I always thought eggs were gross, even before I went veg, so giving them up was no sacrifice at all for me :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:38 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

My boyfriend is omni, but is lactose intolerant(though doesn't always abstain and pays the digestive price), not fond of eggs, and won't eat gelatin. We live with his parents right now, his mom cooks sometimes but boyfriend tends to eat what I cook (or some of both- and he's into me veganizing things).

Considering I'm the only vegan in the household, there aren't too many problems!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:49 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My husband is a long-time vegetarian but as I'm the primary cook we eat vegan meals at home. The only thing he can't/won't give up is cheese, so it's the only non-vegan item in the house. He eats any vegan stuff I make except for fake cheese (which I rarely use, except for tofu ricotta, which he likes). Our kids are vegetarian too, but my younger son (20 months) prefers vegan/non-dairy foods.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 9:55 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm vegan and my husband is omni. I do the cooking so he eats vegan at home. For the most part he likes what I cook as long as it doesn't have seitan or a lot of beans. I don't forbid him from having meat or dairy in the house but he usually doesn't buy or request that I buy any when we go food shopping. He will order meat when we go out to dinner. On his bowling nights I take that time to make myself a dinner that I know he wouldn't like. It works for us.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:59 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

oncewerewesties wrote:
procrastinatory [not a word, whatever]

of course it is.
google has "About 10,600 results."
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictiona ... astinatory

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:47 am 

I'm vegan (so are the children) and he's mostly vegan. Except for the occasional cheese (pizza, mac and cheese etc.). But we also eat a mostly ital diet-no canned foods, no salt etc. When I became vegan 10 years ago, I said no more dating omnivores-I knew I'd be grossed out. So when I broke up with an ex about 5 years ago, I purely dated men who followed an Ital/Vegan diet. Not so difficult when in a big city with a lot of men who follow a certain spiritual path :)
The only thing that bothers me is his old fart pickiness. He won't eat gluten, tofu unless it's deep fried, doesn't like Asian food etc. Soo.. it means I'm not always cooking what excites me..

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:59 am 
Tofu Pup

My bf is a cook, and since he cooks all day at work, I am the primary cook at home. When I went veggie he ate whatever I made and since going vegan he just eats whatever I make. We honestly don't even really keep meat in the house. I think right now we have an old bag of frozen chicken that has lasted forever because he so rarely eats meat.

When we go out though he'll eat it, it doesn't bother me, his choice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:59 am 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

My husband is omni and a chef, so at first I wondered how everything would work out, but so far, so good. (I've been vegan for only a month or so.) He used to be worried/nervous when vegan patrons would visit his restaurant, but I think now he's kind of getting excited to experiment and broaden his repetoire. I showed up one night to find he'd made a vegan mushroom soup that was super tasty!

He has to work most nights, so I fend for myself. When he is home, most of the sides he makes are vegan anyway, so I'll just add something to that for my main dish. Like last night he cooked mustard greens, polenta, rice and beans, and a steak for himself but heated up some veggie chilli (from Trader Joe's) for me. I ate that over the polenta with the mustard greens, and we were both happy. (He doesn't cook the beans with meat, but I had a feeling bean overload would not a romantic evening make.) And then he put in the Jean Claude Van Damme movie... but that's another thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:20 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

My SO went vegetarian to lower his blood pressure and it's stuck, so I'm happy about that, but he loves cheese (he says he can't give up Italian food, which I always counter with my Italian Vegan cookbook...) He's a super picky eater, though, and hates Indian food, most other Asian foods, doesn't care for spicy food, and his usual meals are spaghetti or mashed potatoes and chickpea cutlets. Or something like that.
It's kind of exciting to me, because I stopped cooking stuff like that a long time ago, and now I'm looking for recipes he'll love that are similar.

The Oxford Imposition: http://theoxfordimposition.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:30 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

I am vegan and my husband is vegetarian. When we started dating I was pescetarian and he would eat everything but mammals. In the past year I really started moving more towards veganism and have been vegan now for almost 5 months. So pretty much everything that is cooked in our house is vegan. He decided to go vegetarian about 6 or 7 months ago and he is not a picky eater, so he loves pretty much everything that I make. He will consume eggs and dairy at restaurants, but he definitely consumes far less than he used to. He says he won't go vegan, but I would say he's probably about 95% vegan at this point. And he is very supportive of me being vegan.

The thing that is most challenging is that fact that my children (from my previous marriage) are omni's. Although they do eat vegan at my house, they spend 50% of their time at their dad's (land of hot pockets and frozen pizzas). I try not to think about what they are eating over there too much. It's beyond my control. All I can do is try to be a positive influence when they are with me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:52 pm 
Calls "cavemen" on that

laura8it wrote:
My husband is omni. He eats whatever I cook as long as it doesn't contain tofu, tempeh or mushrooms (yeah, he's 5 years old). When he cooks, he makes omni recipes but uses meat analogs and Daiya in mine and omni stuff in his. At least he's trying, I guess.

HA! Exactly this for me. Except mine doesnt cook.

I try though to make stuff he likes so that we can both enjoy a meal. and there is NO WAY im cooking 2 meals!

he gets meat in frozen dinners, or he is allowed to grill outside. No raw meat in my house. gross. Dairy is ok. it doesnt bother me so much the way it is packaged up. And those frozen breaded chicken things from Trader Joes are ok with me. he uses a special fork and his own cookie sheet to cook it on.

He wont eat veal though..so that makes him a veal-a-not-really-tarian?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 86 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next