| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Denver?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:41 pm 
ol' garly cooch

Tell me about it, stud.

Post subject: Re: Denver?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:27 pm 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

Buffalo Seitan Wings at City O' City. That is all you need to know.

Really though, I love Denver and am considering moving there. There's tons of vegan food and lots to do, but I'm sure that the people who actually live there will have better advice.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:52 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

Denver is awesome. Everyone always talks about City O City and Watercourse (both fantastic, especially the wings), but there are lots of other vegan options too: Sputnik, an admittedly kind of hipsterish bar, has great vegan food and is right across the street from Sweet Action, which always has two uh-maze-ing vegan ice creams, plus sorbet (Oh! and vegan ice cream sandwiches that I can't finish by myself); Wolf's Barbecue, near the capital, has barbecue tofu; Pho Duy (on S. Federal, with all the other Vietnamese restaurants) has an awesome vegan pho - omni friends have told me the veggie broth is better than the regular; ethiopian restaurants on Colfax; The Rebellion for pizza; Pablo's (6th and Washington) has great coffee and pastries from BeetBox - a worker-owned vegan bakery and Root Down is a great fancy place to take omnis. There's other stuff too.
Denver has the best beer (fork, Colorado has the best beer). Great Divide tap house is really fun to go to, as is Vine Street Pub (which is owned by Mountain Sun brew pub in Boulder).
Other stuff: some fun music (we're not Austin or anything, but still, pretty good), nice parks, fairly bike friendly, near to Boulder, Fort Collins and the mountains. First Friday Art Walk. $4 tickets to watch baseball in the rock pile. Nice public library. Great communities, depending on what you're into. Better weather than anywhere I've ever lived. I mean, we have the occasional get-snowed-in-and-cuddle days, but almost without fail it's sunny soon after and the snow has melted within days.
I guess I don't understand why everyone doesn't live in Denver.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:10 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Olives pretty much said it all, but I want to add that Denver is also pretty inexpensive as far as metropolises go.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:15 am 
ol' garly cooch

thanks, y'all! i'm in the second phase of a possible transfer. there's bigger $ in the wholesale division of my company. i'd be on the road quite a bit, but the commission will be much much sweeter.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:10 pm 
Tofu Pup

I moving there next week. Cannot wait - it's such a great city!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:44 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Olives is on it.

The Steamin Demon is an awesome food cart, and there's a new veg food cart at 17th and Lincoln that I haven't tried but have heard great things about.

And the weather is excellent. And housing is affordable in the city.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:55 am 
Level 7 Vegan

I was in Denver for a long weekend and ate like a queen. The food there is AWESOME, and it seemed like the music and art scenes are really active.

Also, someone on the old forum had mentioned Root Down as a place that is a non-veg restaurant that has delicious vegan options, so I went there with a group--if you are looking for a place to eat out with omnivores, or if you just want a nice dinner (the other places are all very casual), they're awesome.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 2:30 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Our awesome mayor was just elected as governor, so pretty soon this whole state will be all kittens and rainbows and babbling brooks and vegan food! Any news on your transfer, jewbacca?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 10:43 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

abbierae wrote:
Our awesome mayor was just elected as governor, so pretty soon this whole state will be all kittens and rainbows and babbling brooks and vegan food!

hell yes, and great beer too! oh yeah, we already ARE full of great beer! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:26 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Hi! I'm in Lakewood, just outside of Denver. I am hoping to semi-compete with Watercourse Bakery in the next year (or at least the darned Cupcake Truck) with mobile vegan baked goodness.

Olives really said it all. Root Down is amazing, WC/CoC delish. Sputnik rocks, although I am sad that they dropped the best ramen bowl EVER off of the menu.

Also, Boulder isn't too far and you absolutely must try Leaf.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:42 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

wow, theres a lot of denver people on here.... meetup?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:28 am 
Bathes in Braggs

I heard on the street that there is a new vegan restaurant opening up in the springtime in Denver.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:26 am 

grrl13 wrote:
Hi! I'm in Lakewood, just outside of Denver. I am hoping to semi-compete with Watercourse Bakery in the next year (or at least the darned Cupcake Truck) with mobile vegan baked goodness.

Olives really said it all. Root Down is amazing, WC/CoC delish. Sputnik rocks, although I am sad that they dropped the best ramen bowl EVER off of the menu.

Also, Boulder isn't too far and you absolutely must try Leaf.

Omg, will you be traveling around golden, or anywhere near the fed center area?!

Also agreed, Leaf is wonderful. Last weekend we went up there on the spur of the moment to eat there and it was closed for a private party :( I consoled myself with a tempeh rueben at Mountain Sun...and some beer awesomeness...

It does sound like there are quite a few of us around here--maybe we do need a meetup! I'm also wondering what the outcome was for jewbacca on the possible move to denver?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:16 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

abbierae wrote:
I heard on the street that there is a new vegan restaurant opening up in the springtime in Denver.

Say wha?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:19 pm 

elouise wrote:
abbierae wrote:

Say wha?

Yeah, what? When? Where?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:24 pm 

Do tell!

In the last day or so, the hubs and I had a revelation - the "Vegan Van". So... not only baked stuff, but breakfast/lunch too. And, of course, private parties/catering. I want this to happen with every fiber in me.

I would like to go around this area and Golden, which are quite untouched by lunch trucks. Of course, downtown too. Need to find out how much I can travel/research the local laws.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:39 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

The Vegan Van! That sounds awesome. The Steamin' Demon always has a line- they need some competition.

I don't know anything about this new restaurant, besides that it will be all vegan, and should open in the spring, and will be downtownish. I will ask my source if she has more details and report back.

I would be down for a meetup after the new year. Watercourse? City O? Leaf?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:10 am 

Count me in for a meetup! My schedule will be a little screwy in January - I'm traveling for 2 weeks, and taking the Vegan Pastry Intensives class at the School of Natural Cookery in Boulder. SO EXCITED.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 11:44 am 

i think that sounds fun too! also, sometime this spring maybe we could meet up at grrl13's vegan van grand opening?!!

enjoy your pastry class :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:23 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

grrl13 wrote:
Count me in for a meetup! My schedule will be a little screwy in January - I'm traveling for 2 weeks, and taking the Vegan Pastry Intensives class at the School of Natural Cookery in Boulder. SO EXCITED.

What?! Can anyone take it? I wanna take that class!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:24 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

grrl13 wrote:

I would like to go around this area and Golden, which are quite untouched by lunch trucks. Of course, downtown too. Need to find out how much I can travel/research the local laws.

My hubs works in Lakewood. I'm sure he would be stoked about a vegan lunch truck near his office!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:11 am 

My partner and his riding buddy (who is newly vegan) ride their bikes out to Golden to go up and down the mountains a few times a week. They would probably come to your van and eat a million calories worth of food. I might ride out to Golden and do one, easier mountain just so I could have an excuse to eat at your van, too.

Wait. Maybe don't open a vegan van. We could not afford that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:10 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

can than van come up to boulder too? I'm too lazy to travel and the hippies would LOVE a vegan van :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:10 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I'd like to add that Denver is an amazing city to be a pedestrian in. I live 3 blocks away from the Auraria campus so I'm right between the 10th and Osage and Colfax at Auraria light rail stations. I don't even own a car, or really need to. All the places I want to go are accessible by bus/light rail, even my best friend who lives in Westminster lives two blocks from a bus stop.

I haven't actually eaten at any of the places mentioned in this thread, but I knew about them! Going out to eat with my hardcore-omni best friend can be an exercise in creativity. Last week we went to Jack-n-Grill (featured on an episode of Man vs Food) and they were very, very accommodating to me. They made their Mexican squash enchiladas vegan for me by omitting the cheese, and guaranteed that their whole pinto bean side did not contain animal products. They already include a few of vegetarian options on their menu, like a veggie taco salad.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 240 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next