| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 7:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Sweat-free Clothes: How to
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 3:31 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

There's the other thread about WHERE to buy sweat-shop free clothing, but I thought we could use one for HOW to go about doing it.

This is something I really struggle with. I've been trying to switch over to sweat-shop free clothing for at least ten years, and I haven't been too successful. I don't like buying much online because I have such a hard time finding a good fit in stores, that I can't imagine buying anything without trying it on. And there's the added expense, too. I know that I'm paying for someone to get a fair wage and usually for less impact on the environment. But it's hard to spend $200 on a sweater.

So, PPK, I know I'm not the only one interested in this. What have you found that works for you? What do you struggle with?

Post subject: Re: Sweat-free Clothes: How to
PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:02 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I have too many clothes in general, so what I'm trying to do is focus on replacing things I wear out. If I buy less, I should be able to afford ethical clothing, but I'm talking really basic stuff like tees and hoodies from American Apparel or a similar price point.
And being more realistic about what I need and want is helping too; after reading your post I went over to Herbivore and spent some money on a hoodie instead of the Flipadelphia tee I was eyeing the other day. I need a new hoodie since my 2-year-old one has a broken zipper; I don't need a new shirt I will probably only wear to the gym.
Since I'm so stocked up on clothes right now, I will be avoiding a lot of issues so I'm interested in hearing what everyone else will have to say in this thread!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:18 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I buy quite a lot of my stuff from charity shops. I work in one once or twice a week, which is handy as I get first refusal on a lot of stuff. It's recycled/reowned and you are actively raising money for charity by shopping there. That pair of shoes I bought could have helped keep a bereavement counselling service free of charge, and that suit could have bought water sterilisation pills for Haiti. I know that's not the same as making a stand against sweatshops, but it is still a choice that helps someone who needs it.

Underwear is something I have a problem with, as I don't want to wear someone else's pants without having slept with them at least once. This would be very time-consuming, so I prefer to buy them new.

http://www.gossypium.co.uk/ are not cheap, but not expensive at all. They have nice boxers. Also based in the town I grew up in, which is handy.
http://www.pantstopoverty.com/ sweat-shop free undies that are hawt.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:11 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

There is a sock factory only like an hour and a half from here. So, local AND sweat free, and I bet the cotton would be from the south too. But their website is a mess and their customer service sucks.

I tried to find out if they had mostly cotton socks in many colors. They sort of seem to, but UGH! This site.
http://www.ncsock.com/

I'm seriously considering on a day off just driving there. Maybe I'd get a tour of the factory!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 1:39 pm 
Married to the wolfman

This thread is relevant to my interests!

For years I didn't really buy clothes, and then I had a kid. Suddenly none of my clothes fit me at all. I mean seriously, not even my underwear. I'm actually under my pre-pregnancy weight but I'm shaped totally differently, so aside from a couple of pairs of jeans, I've had to start back at the beginning. (Well, and I just wear my old saggy asparagus underwear, but I want to replace it someday.)

But now I'm starting over with a more ethical viewpoint than the one I built my old wardrobe with. And less money. And almost zero time to fork around trying things on at Goodwill. It's not the best combination. It's hard to resist just going to the Gap and buying poor quality shiitake on sale there and going la la la, kids in sweatshops, la la la, can't hear you.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:05 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

coldandsleepy wrote:
But now I'm starting over with a more ethical viewpoint than the one I built my old wardrobe with. And less money. And almost zero time to fork around trying things on at Goodwill. It's not the best combination. It's hard to resist just going to the Gap and buying poor quality shiitake on sale there and going la la la, kids in sweatshops, la la la, can't hear you.

I hear you! For me it's Target though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:10 pm 

lycophyte wrote:
There is a sock factory only like an hour and a half from here. So, local AND sweat free, and I bet the cotton would be from the south too. But their website is a mess and their customer service sucks.

I tried to find out if they had mostly cotton socks in many colors. They sort of seem to, but UGH! This site.
http://www.ncsock.com/

I'm seriously considering on a day off just driving there. Maybe I'd get a tour of the factory!

I've heard rumor that there's a customized bra shop in town, and I think I'll make that my next goal. I'm a little more comfortable paying a lot of for a bra since they can be expensive to begin with and I think a better quality one might last longer (and inspire me to take better care of it).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:15 pm 
Married to the wolfman

That's kind of my feeling on ethical clothes overall. If I shell out $40 for a single shirt, I sure the hell am going to read the tag and find out whether I'm supposed to wash it on hot or cold or whatever. It's also my suspicion that this stuff will last longer than the crappy stuff I'd be buying elsewhere.

I'm trying to sloooowly add pieces that will give me a good wardrobe foundation. Basics, basics, basics.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:19 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I don't buy clothes very often and I am guilty of chain shopping when I need new jeans, that is the one thing I can never find at vintage stores.

A great place to shop in Austin is Whole Earth Provision Co, they have a lot of great brands that are sweatshop free or organic or flax or hemp clothes. Twice a year they have a big sale and that is when I go. They have really good bras too.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:02 pm 

LazySmurf wrote:
I don't buy clothes very often and I am guilty of chain shopping when I need new jeans, that is the one thing I can never find at vintage stores.

A great place to shop in Austin is Whole Earth Provision Co, they have a lot of great brands that are sweatshop free or organic or flax or hemp clothes. Twice a year they have a big sale and that is when I go. They have really good bras too.

Whole Earth is mostly casual clothes, right?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:08 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

I know a lot of people don't like doing used for whatever reason, but that's mostly where my clothes are from. I buy off ebay because it's great for finding popular brands. You can even set up searches that will email you when something matching your description has been posted (i.e. Joe's Jeans, H&M, etc.) Buffalo Exchange and Crossroads are great but they do carry new items and sometimes they're made overseas so you have to look at their tags to see if it says 'New' or not. I also do Goodwill, and from vintage shops. I'm trying to turn my personal style into mostly vintage since it's so hard to have a consistent style buying non-sweat clothes. You kind of take what you can get.

The other thing is that I just research like crazy. I read a lot of eco/green fashion blogs because most green designers also try and be sweatshop free. If I see a designer or brand I like I go to their About page on their website and see what they say about their manufacturing process. That's why I started the eco-friendly sweatshop free thread, because it is SO much work and I know that not everyone has the time or patience to check everything. Most eco-labels tend to be pricier.

Another thing, is that if a label says it's sweatshop free, but made overseas and they don't own the factory then there's really no way of actually knowing if that's true. The designer may not know it's true. A lot of garment factories say they are sweatshop free so that they can charge the designer more for labor but not actually pass that onto the worker, knowing that the designer will likely never visit the factory. Sweatshops can also make themselves appear non-sweaty for a short tour because it can be difficult to actually see if workers are getting breaks and proper wages.

I'm glad other people are interested in this too! I've been really focused on researching this concept for the past 7 years, and I hope to one day have my own ethical clothing line.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:45 pm 
Tofu Pup

I'm very interested in this, too. I'm pretty lazy about going to used clothing stores, and usually when I go it's jeans and tops but not other pants.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:32 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

Ressurecting this thread, I started skating in October (roller derby yay!) and my body is really changing. My waist is a little smaller, thighs are getting bigger and I'm growing an asparagus for the first time in my life. I think I've tried on 50ish pairs of jeans in the last 2 weeks and have found ONE that fits kinda. I'm tired of farting around in thrift stores right now! I want new jeans that were not made by kids or slaves. Where can I go? I need to try them on so online shopping is out. Thanks for starting this thread!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:17 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Thoughts:

- 75% of my wardrobe is second-hand, but it was mostly made in sweatshops. Boy, can thrift-shopping can really feed a clothing addiction... it's hard to focus on building a small, versatile, well-made wardrobe when you know you can bring home a whole pile of stuff for $30. That hunger for "newness" is what gets a lot of us in trouble, whether or not the new stuff is actually new.

- Figure out which colors/styles/silhouettes you LOVE so you can spend less money experimenting and striking out. Figure out which clothes never leave your closet and why.

- I sometimes buy distinctive, well-made accessories from Etsy to jazz up my basic clothes; I get something new, and my money goes to support a crafty person, not a sweatshop. Granted, some Etsy folk re-sell commercial products or sell low-quality goods, but you can usually spot them.

- After years of hemming and hawing, I just bought a pair of Mohops (there was a half-off sale on old styles, and a few very small sizes may be left). I'm HOPING that I can wear those a dozen ways and that they'll last a few years, so I can use less pleather/buy fewer sweatshop shoes. They ARE a big adjustment, though; I've practiced a few ties and worn them around the house, but it'll be awhile before I can wear them all day. Mostly my knot-tying sucks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:28 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

This is actually one of my new years resolutions! I work in a thrift store now, its not a charity shop, and not to say its bad shopping in charity shops but I find the quality is typically better in our shop? But we're paying for what we're getting; a lot of it is used, some of it is liquidated stuff that you'd normally throw out at a certain point but some stores rightfully feel guilty for throwing out perfectly good clothes just because they were returned. I had to buy some clothes to start working there since my wardrobe was very casual, but from now on its either coming from the thrift store, and what I save can be put towards something new at this eco-friendly/fair trade store we have that is more pricey, but I can usually find something not too expensive when I'm there, like I just got a purse there for thirty dollars.

I never thought about underwear at all though!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 8:49 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

One big step toward sweatshop-free living is learning to accept a smaller wardrobe. There are two ways to do this:

1) Invest in simple, versatile pieces that people won't realize you've worn a jillion times

2) Continue wearing loud, distinctive pieces, and just deal with the fact that people may recognize them.

Isn't it weird that so many of us get embarrassed to be seen in the same thing repeatedly? Why is that? Are we all trying to seem richer than we are?

That goes double for the unwritten rule against wearing the same thing two days in a row: if it still looks and smells clean, why not wear it again? There seems to be some leeway with this... I know lots of people who wear jeans two or three days in a row, but would never dream of re-wearing shirts. Their crotch doesn't smell as bad as their armpits??

So many questions.

But yes: I'm not a basics kind of girl, so a lot of the clothes from planet-friendly companies don't suit my aesthetic. I just have to live with knowing that yes, everyone has seen my tacky green floral dress a dozen times, and they will see it a dozen more.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I really don't like buying clothes online as there always seems to be fit issues (too big, too small, etc.). Aside from buying more second-hand clothing items, I've also started sewing more of my clothes. It's kind of hard to find fair-trade fabric though (or at least it is around here).

http://veganforthewin.wordpress.com

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:48 am 
Tofu Pup

This is a different tactic, but I like a media black-out. If I look in magazines and at online shops, fashion blogs etc., I want new clothes, if I avoid them it is much easier to make do with the (many, many) lovely things I already own. To paraphrase Hannibal Lector (in a vegan forum?) - you covet what you see everyday!

Also, second-hand all the way.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:40 am 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

Rebekah wrote:
Isn't it weird that so many of us get embarrassed to be seen in the same thing repeatedly? Why is that? Are we all trying to seem richer than we are?

This girl I work with is always like "OMG you got a new shirt/skirt/dress/tights/whatever" whenever I wear something she hasn't seen before. I'm sure it comes from a place of kindness, but it makes me feel awkward about the fact that I pretty much rotate my small work clothes wardrobe very frequently. It IS really dumb that we get embarrassed about that.

I'm torn about supporting American Apparel because I hate their ad campaigns and have heard weird stuff about the higher-ups, but I LOVE their basics (tights, underwear, bras, workout stuff) and at least I know it is sweatshop free. They have pretty good online sales too.

I really should do much more thrifting. I hate shopping and trying on clothes, so the thrill of a second-hand store is lost on me.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:04 pm 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

vijita wrote:
Rebekah wrote:

I'm torn about supporting American Apparel because I hate their ad campaigns and have heard weird stuff about the higher-ups, but I LOVE their basics (tights, underwear, bras, workout stuff) and at least I know it is sweatshop free. They have pretty good online sales too.

I really should do much more thrifting. I hate shopping and trying on clothes, so the thrill of a second-hand store is lost on me.

Dov Charney, the CEO, has admitted to most of the "weird stuff" on record--it's more concrete than hearsay. Google will provide multiple links in a few seconds.

Take this with a grain of salt because it's secondhand information, but a friend of mine knew several people who worked in the L.A. factory and its conditions were as close to sweatshop labor as they could get away with legally. Companies can be pretty liberal in their definition of "sweat-free".

I'm not saying that to guilt you, though. I just think the information's worth having.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:39 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

i want to only buy underpants non-used from nowon. so far it meant not buying anything for months. but im losing weight (and hopefully will keep losing) so this is not going to work forever

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:45 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Hi guys. I work in the fashion industry, at a place that makes both domestic (made in USA) and import (China) clothing. I have worked for over a year in a domestic clothing factory here in Brooklyn as well.

Not all Chinese made goods are sweatshops. Ours, for example, are verified by us and by third parties on a biyearly basis. This is the case with a lot of the midrange fashion businesses. Once you get at clothing sold at less than a dollar wholesale you are def. talking about a sweatshop- hello F21. But H&M, for example, uses the same verifications we do, at least for their knitwear.

Not all domestic factories have the best working conditions. It's not great pay and pretty shitty working environments, most of the time. Very, very hot, difficult work that is very painful to the eyes and long hours. The place I worked had a creep that molested one of the workers and threatened to turn her over to immigration when she complained. She kept working their for over a year after this. That's pretty common.

So what I'm saying is...it's really hard to know what is sweatshop free, depending on your definition of 'sweatshop.' It's great to buy local and suport American-made businesses, but, you might not be getting a lot better than a factory overseas. You just don't know.

I find AA really a bit of a skeezy company, and their corporate is a bit f-ed up, actually. I don't think their working conditions are that much higher than your average domestic factory- and probably about the same of many import factories. But, I do like business kept in America because our factory jobs are rapidly disappearing, and I support anything that gives more jobs to the working class. Most of my clothes are either from AA or places I know have good import factory standards (or free shiitake from my job, honestly)

I dunno what my point is, except that you really don't know where your clothes are coming from, really. Buying less is great for the environment- there is so much waste in fashion, you have no idea. At the same time, people buying 30.00 sweaters from a chain store keeps me and others (not making tons of money, believe me) with jobs. So. Do what you feel is the best for you and your situation. But this is by no means a black and white issue.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:31 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

Rebekah wrote:
That goes double for the unwritten rule against wearing the same thing two days in a row: if it still looks and smells clean, why not wear it again? There seems to be some leeway with this... I know lots of people who wear jeans two or three days in a row, but would never dream of re-wearing shirts. Their crotch doesn't smell as bad as their armpits??

it's probably that eyes are up on our heads, so people are more likely to notice a re-worn shirt than a pair of pants that were worn the day before. (also, pants are more likely to be generic, and shirts are more likely to be unique)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

actually, yes, my jeans never smell after one day. unlike my tshirts or dresses. But I wear tshirts a few days in a row too, I don't sweat (one of the good things about my hormonal disease, i think).

Quote:
Ours, for example, are verified by us and by third parties on a biyearly basis. This is the case with a lot of the midrange fashion businesses.

I don't know, Ive seen too many articules/documentaries to trust biyearly check ups :/

ashley wrote:
I have never thought "This coffee is okay, but it would be better if it were oily."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:01 pm 

stars wrote:
Hi guys. I work in the fashion industry, at a place that makes both domestic (made in USA) and import (China) clothing. I have worked for over a year in a domestic clothing factory here in Brooklyn as well.

Not all Chinese made goods are sweatshops. Ours, for example, are verified by us and by third parties on a biyearly basis. This is the case with a lot of the midrange fashion businesses. Once you get at clothing sold at less than a dollar wholesale you are def. talking about a sweatshop- hello F21. But H&M, for example, uses the same verifications we do, at least for their knitwear.

Not all domestic factories have the best working conditions. It's not great pay and pretty shitty working environments, most of the time. Very, very hot, difficult work that is very painful to the eyes and long hours. The place I worked had a creep that molested one of the workers and threatened to turn her over to immigration when she complained. She kept working their for over a year after this. That's pretty common.

So what I'm saying is...it's really hard to know what is sweatshop free, depending on your definition of 'sweatshop.' It's great to buy local and suport American-made businesses, but, you might not be getting a lot better than a factory overseas. You just don't know.

This is part of the problem though. There's so little transparency in the industry, how are customers supposed to know what conditions are like unless the brand advertises their working practices?