| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dental care thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:07 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

So, I searched, and didn't find a thread about teeth. I'm seeing a dentist this week because I fear I may have the beginnings of gingivitis. Red, itchy gums that bleed when I brush my teeth. I bet it's from all those years of being a junk food vegan and pigging out on bread and cookies. Oops.

Share your tooth and gum problems here, people!

Post subject: Re: Dental care thread
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:25 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

I don't have any major problems, I have actually been pretty fortunate where oral health is concerned. Never had a cavity or any work done other than one of my front teeth is filled because when I was in grade 4 , I was eating a peanut and the front of my tooth just fell off.

I need to be better about flossing, I don't do it often enough and every now and again my gums get really sore in the same spot, on one of my rear molars but it is probably just a tiny peice of food stuck in there.

I am the only one in my family with a clean bill of oral health.

Gumboots & Cats Facebook Page
http://www.gumbootsandcats.tumblr.com/
http://www.gumbootsandcats.blogspot.com/
http://www.gumbootscatsvegansnacks.wordpress.com/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:31 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

No cavities EVER? Crazy!
A few years ago, the dentist found nine cavities in one single visit. Heaven knows how many I have these days. This Friday is going to be my first dental appointment in two or three years.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

There is so much shiitake wrong with my mouth, I don't even know where to start. I went to a dentist last year just to get an idea of how bad it was - I literally started crying in the chair when she broke it down for me. I haven't had insurance for the last 8 or 9 years so I can't afford to get any of it fixed, though. Which is super awesome.

I have excellent dental hygiene, but my tooth enamel is really weak so it sort of doesn't matter what I do. I've always had a ton of cavities and other problems. Yay genetics!

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:44 pm 
Heart of Vegan Marshmallow

I was surprised to learn, after going to dentist for the first time in 5-6 years recently, that I didn't have any cavities. I don't know how I managed that. I've never had any cavities, so I guess it's just good luck. I do brush 3-4 times a day and floss regularly, though.

My problem is that my teeth are stained. I hate it.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 3:01 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i'm also due for a checkup. i'm OK but my gums bleed, and i've found that oil pulling with sesame oil really helps with bleeding and sensitivity. i was using soap instead of toothpaste for a long time but stopped recently and went back to toothpaste because i had a cut in my mouth and the soap burned like mad.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:12 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

i don't have any problems that i know of, but i haven't seen a dentist in fifteen years. i wish i could find a vegan whitening toothpaste that actually whitens, because the coffee staining is off the charts. my teeth look like they ought to be banana-flavored.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 4:44 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

i usually don't have too many serious problems when i go to the dentist. though i've had my share of cavities and getting them filled. when i do go to the dentist which is really only about once a year (which i know isn't enough) i sometimes have a little sticky spot, but its never anything really bad.

my only problem that probably needs to be fixed right now is my crossbite.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:32 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Apparently I grind my teeth hardcore and I'm supposed to get a guard to wear at night but I haven't done it yet. I guess my teeth will be ground away to nothing by age 50.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 5:37 pm 
Impressive boner

I had a root canal fixed a few weeks ago after 16 years of avoiding dentists due to a horrible phobia. Now they want to address the bajillion other cavities I have (at the cost of £2500!!!) before they all turn into abscesses and I die of brain rot.

I still don't like dentists. All the ones I've met have been either weird or sadists.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:08 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

amandabear wrote:
I have excellent dental hygiene, but my tooth enamel is really weak so it sort of doesn't matter what I do. I've always had a ton of cavities and other problems. Yay genetics!

Mouth twin!

I've recently had to do a lot of research about periodontitis for my job and now I live in constant fear of developing it. Some on the treatments for periodontitis are truly horrifying, like they cut open your gums, scrape all of the rotting gunk away from the base of your tooth, and stitch your gums up. I can't handle it. When my dentist told me I was going to need a root canal, I had a panic attack. And because I have weak enamel like amandabear, I'm more susceptible to periodontitis. My god, the horror.

Because of this, I've become an obsessive flosser. And mouthwash-er. I am lobbying for an electric toothbrush for Christmas. I even have dental insurance but I'm too scared to go! WHAT IF THEY WILL CUT MY GUMS UP OH NO.

Teeth issues, bumming me out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:16 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

I have an exam tomorrow! I'll come share the horrors after. I have genetically crepe teeth. The kid's appointment is the day after that.

Kate - there have been some big coupons in sunday coupon flyers in newspapers lately - $15-$25 depending on brand!

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:25 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

I'm in a lot of trouble. I haven't had insurance in awhile. My gums are all going to hell and I grind my teeth at night. I have cavities, probably need a few root canals. I brush and floss all the time, but I'm genetically predisposed to bad teeth.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:22 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I haven't gone to the dentist in over ten years. I hope I still have my no-cavity record, but I am starting to worry about my gums. I am kicking myself for not going when I had insurance. I never had my wisdom teeth taken out and I'm noticing some of my bottom teeth have moved, so if I get rad enough insurance at the next job, definitely want to see an orthodontist.

boychucker.blogspot.com
twitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:37 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Everybody, please go to the dentist. It is like getting your car's oil changed in a way -- doesn't feel like a big deal to skip out until your engine drops onto the ground or starts smoking. Bad gum health has been correlated with poor cardiovascular health.

I have ongoing gingivitis that I had once gotten rid of then I got braces and pregnancy which ruined my good gums. I just went to the dentist and they used this awful sonicating thing that removed all gingivitis. I have bad sinuses too, which doesn't make it easy to keep my mouth clean (ever had a bad cold and coughed a lot? I am like that every day).

Deep grooves in da house! The dentist I just tried recently told me I have like 15 cavities, what a forking idiot. Sorry, I don't go from having zero to 15 between two dentists. I hate finding new dentists though. Ugh. How do you guys pick a good one? Word-of-mouth?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:39 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I always had a bunch of cavities when I went to the dentist so I just stopped going. It just stopped being fun for me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:45 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I didn't have dental insurance growing up, so my parents decided to feed us instead. When I got it again and went about 14 years after my first checkup, I was shocked (shocked, I say!) to find out that I didn't have any cavities. He did say I had soft teeth or something weird.

A couple years later, I've gotten better about going, but I slept through my appointment this summer and forgot to reschedule. My insurance might run out at the end of the year, so I don't know if I can go any time soon. Thankfully, I had my wisdom teeth out in April, so that giant pain in the mouth is over.

I still have hella crooked teeth. And a snaggle tooth. I reeeeeeally want it fixed. If I still have insurance in a few months, I'm doing it.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:21 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I haven't been to a dentist in probably eleven years. My parents just stopped taking me when my brother started needing braces. I guess I just got forgotten.

When I was a kid I had a few teeth removed because my head is too small to hold them all. My teeth have been fine for a while, but I've started noticing problems with one in the back, which I'm pretty sure has happened because of my small head not being able to fit a toothbrush back there properly. So I bought a kids toothbrush, it says 'junior jaws' on it and there's a picture of a shark. I should probably get insurance and go to a dentist, but I feel that my new toothbrush purchase is a step in the right direction.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 3:25 am 
Dildo Queen

i'm lucky to have never had cavities or other problems with my teef...but that just makes me all the more paranoid when i go now, because i worry i'll have one, eventually.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:46 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sra. Nooch wrote:
The dentist I just tried recently told me I have like 15 cavities, what a forking idiot. Sorry, I don't go from having zero to 15 between two dentists.

This.
If someone tries to tell you you have a bunch of new cavaties when your teeth were fine before, odds are they're fishing for work.
The second last time I was at the dentist (I've been seeing the same dentist since I started going when I was little- he's my dad's best friend) I had to see one of the other dentists in the office. She's new. She tried to tell me I had 9 cavaties that needed to be filled. I have one filling from when I was 8. That's it. And apparently I needed 9. So I told her they would have to wait, because I was a student and couldn't afford it. 2 years later I went back to my regular dentist and he said everything looked fantastic as usual. I asked about the 9 holes that needed to be filled and he looked very puzzled. He showed me my x-rays, showed me the inside of my mouth with the little mirror, and said there was absolutely nothing wrong.
I think she wanted to fill the natural curvature in my teeth or something.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:12 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

Kate wrote:
I've recently had to do a lot of research about periodontitis for my job and now I live in constant fear of developing it. Some on the treatments for periodontitis are truly horrifying, like they cut open your gums, scrape all of the rotting gunk away from the base of your tooth, and stitch your gums up. I can't handle it. When my dentist told me I was going to need a root canal, I had a panic attack. And because I have weak enamel like amandabear, I'm more susceptible to periodontitis. My god, the horror.

WHY DID YOU MAKE ME KNOW THIS?!

I definitely have gingivitis so they need to do something awful to my gums, if or when I can ever go back. I also need two root canals, all my wisdom teeth removed, and about 9 cavities that need filled or replaced. HURRAH. Ever since I heard that infections in your teeth/gums can somehow work their insidious way to your heart and kill you, I've been pretty convinced that I'm going to die soon.

Electric toothbrushes are awesome, though. I got a cheap one and it still does an awesome job.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:37 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

torque wrote:
i'm also due for a checkup. i'm OK but my gums bleed, and i've found that oil pulling with sesame oil really helps with bleeding and sensitivity. i was using soap instead of toothpaste for a long time but stopped recently and went back to toothpaste because i had a cut in my mouth and the soap burned like mad.

WHAT? You were using soap? didn't it taste horrible? and its not scrubby enough.

I just had that poky measurement thing done 2 months ago and I had a 6-very bad on the very back molar. They gave me a antibiotic implant and I go back friday to see if that worked. A 6 is the beginning of bad gingivitis. If I had a bunch of 6 I would have had to have the cutting and scraping. I hadn't been to the dentist in 4 years so I think I did ok.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 10:15 am 
Seagull of the PPK

Puma wrote:
WHAT? You were using soap? didn't it taste horrible? and its not scrubby enough.

i'm back to soap again, actually. i use diluted mint doctor bronner's and it tastes just fine- not as bad as you might expect. as for scrubby enough, it works great for me. my enamel also isn't the strongest you'll find and it seems half the toothpaste out there might as well be Bon Ami or Ajax or something- too much baking soda and MicroParticles. Plus toothpaste has a lot of shiitake that i like to avoid like glycerin (here the source isn't labeled), saccharine, and SLS.

PS: made my cleaning appointment today! Have you guys ever had the baking soda jet to clean your teeth? I never saw it in north america but it kicks the shiitake out of the scrubby rotating brush thing and then the scrape-teeth-with-metal routine. it takes about ten minutes and your teeth are clean as a whistle. even better, no bleeding.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:40 pm 
Married to the wolfman

I've had horrible teeth and gums since I was a little kid. They run in my family, aaaand the adults in my life didn't take me to the dentist regularly or anything either. It's not really worth getting into it right now. (But I will note that my bad teeth have nothing to do with my diet. My mom and my sister eat plenty of animal products and have somewhat _worse_ teeth than me.)

In the earlier half of this year, I had a marathon of dental work done. Two root canals and just a shiitake ton of fillings. I also started being much more careful about my dental care at home, brushing super thoroughly, using antiseptic mouthwash, and flossing EVERY time I brush.

The net result is that while I still have one more filling and two more root canals to go, my teeth and gums are worlds and worlds better than they've been since, well, more or less since my adult teeth came in. I'm not joking when I say it had been over a decade since I could bite into an apple without my gums bleeding... now I eat two or three apples a day because I freaking can. It's amazing and wonderful, and gives me great incentive to keep taking great care of my teeth now that they're fixed.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:54 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Puma wrote:
torque wrote:

it's not that weird, I also use unscented Dr. Bronners to brush my teeth. A lot of people do.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles