| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 Post subject: Re: Montreal Musts
PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 10:48 am 
So Totally Yiffy

The Festival Végane de Montréal is on this Saturday, November 7, at Marché Bonsecours:

http://festivalveganedemontreal.com/2015/

Gusta is one of the sponsors. They are a vegan "charcuterie" which is supposed to open at the Jean Talon market at some point. Hoping they will have some samples to taste:)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:13 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Ahahah, I would like to be there so much! I always feel like there is an umbilical cord pulling me back to Montreal although I wasn't born there.

I get off work at 4. If I drive all night I can be there in time.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:15 am 
So Totally Yiffy

That's what I call dedicated!

I'm hoping to be able to swing by the festival myself tomorrow. If I do manage to go, will be sure to give a little summary here and pass on any new vegan finds in this city...

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 5:32 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I went to the Festival Végane de Montréal today. It was packed. So much so that it was hard to actually get to the kiosks. But on the plus side it shows that plant-based eating is really taking off in this city! The majority were young people, but all ages were there really. Here are some things that stood out for me (sorry long post):

Sophie Sucrée was temptingly placed at the entrance. I bought a tasty cinnamon danish and half a dozen cupcakes. From memory they were choco/choco icing, vanilla/vanilla icing, choco/moka icing, red velvet/cream cheese icing, spice + brown sugar/apple butter icing, almond/strawberry icing. These were a little too sweet for my liking, but they are cupcakes, so...Not that I would ever, ever pass up a dessert from this place.

The "Raw some" (it is only one word, but the spellchecker keeps writing it as awesome) kiosk was selling containers of their cashew-based cheeses for about $5, which was a nice bargain as I have seen them for much more than that at the health food stores. The texture is that of cream cheese. I got the onion and chives flavour and it is fantastic. I also got one of their cheesecakes, the choco and raspberry flavour, but am saving this for later so don't know how it tastes yet.

Then I swung by the 57Cals kiosk and ordered their half pitas of shawarma and shish taouk. I preferred the shawarma, which is a beefy seitan nicely seasoned with cumin, but another person liked the shish taouk better, which was more mild and made with veggie chicken. They are a restaurant in Laval and some people asked why they don't come on down and open a branch in Montreal. They're workin' on it...maybe.

Next up was Gusta, start-up purveyors of vegan sausage and cheese. I had heard about them from a local blog, and yet, and yet where are they?? The guy behind the counter told me that they are aiming to open up a shop at the Jean Talon market in the spring, but I overheard another person say that in the meantime they will soon be selling some of their stuff at different spots around town. Stay tuned. Anyway, I tried and bought the Spanish chorizo-style sausage, seasoned with smoked paprika. It it "softer" in both taste and texture than Field Roast's Mexican chipotle, for example. I liked it. They also had an Italian sausage and another one called Germaine (I think), which I didn't try. Besides the vegan meat, they had some "fromage à gratiner" which was very tasty indeed, like a melted Gruyère.

The Oat&Mill table sold scoops of vegan ice cream. I got the mint chocolate brownie and the caramel apple. The texture was a little different than regular ice cream. I didn't ask what it was made of as I was concentrated on trying not to drop anything. Let's say it doesn't melt in your mouth as readily as regular ice cream, but that didn't bother me and the flavours were nice. They are based in Ottawa, but they home deliver to Montreal once every two weeks (I think) for orders on their website, which I thought was very cool.

Mouton Vert is a shop in NDG that specializes in food from Greece, especially olives, oils and herbs/spices. They had vegan baklava and melomacarnouna (Greek cookies that are doused in honey). I was tempted to get a box, but I had blown all my money by the time I got there. Also there was a kiosk run by Anhydra, which sells fruits and vegetables that are dehydrated in Québec. They had some samples, I tasted the dried apple (chewy) and dried banana (thin and crispy), they were nice and would make nice additions to cereals and muffins I think.

I'll stop here, but there was plenty more. Can't wait till next year.
I also took some pictures with my phone, but have not figured out how to post them here yet:/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:02 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I spotted Field Roast's Chao cheese at the Alfalfa natural foods grocery in the Jean Talon market today. Wasn't aware that this cheese was available in Canada yet, and have only heard people rave about it online, so this was a nice surprise! There was only one kind, and I forgot to take note of which. Looked like mozzarella slices to me. Anyway, unfortunately, it was a little pricy for me at over $9, but am looking forward to trying some soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 5:38 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

minty tang wrote:
The awesome kiosk was selling containers of their cashew-based cheeses for about $5, which was a nice bargain as I have seen them for much more than that at the health food stores.

I found some more awesome cream cheese at a local store, and I was wrong, it is not as expensive as I thought. About $7 for a 227 g container. I was getting mixed up with another vegan cheese company called Zengarry which uses a similar container. I saw a vegan brie of theirs for about $11 that I would like to try.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:27 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

That's "Rawe some" not "awesome" cream cheese (although in fact it is awesome)...dang spell check!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:37 am 
So Totally Yiffy

Just wanted to mention that the Montreal-based vegan "charcuterie" and cheese maker Gusta have started selling their stuff at various drop offs in and around the city. I found some at a place near me called Fruiterie Lina in the Villeray district.

I stacked up on some Spanish sausage and some smoked onion sausage, sold in packages of four links. They have an Italian version too. Also I got their "vegan grating block" cheese, which was really good when I tried it a few months back at a local vegan food festival.

http://gustafoods.com

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 5:14 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So I just got a job with Via Rail and it seems Montreal will be one of my frequent layover spaces!! Sadly Facebook banned me because of my name, but I will try and remember to post here/tweet when I am scheduled to be in the city.

Folks can also PM me for cell #.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I am also grabbing all the suggestions from this thread to move over to the ppk/reddit wiki that @linanil has been working so hard on!

So if anyone has final updates or suggestions please post them!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:28 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

From what I've heard, Café dei Campi and Café Tuyo opened this year and are good vegan places, especially for pastries and desserts. I've also heard good things about the new vegan Vietnamese restaurant Pho Da Son. L'Gros Luxe 100 % végé is a new vegetarian place with some vegan options, popular for its poutine and ice cream.

The pastries and desserts at L'Artisan délices sans gluten are not vegan contrary to some older sources people might stumble upon.

This is a good list of vegetarian and vegan restaurants in Montreal, with a map. http://www.vegemontreal.org/index.php/f ... estaurants

Su Shian Yuang is closed now.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7