| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:46 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: On Heifer International
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:42 pm 
Grandfathered In

And similar orgs.

Here's an (old) article:

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinion/commentators/andrew-tyler-dont-follow-the-herd-and-give-a-cow-for-christmas-426054.html

Discuss.

Post subject: Re: On Heifer International
PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:48 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

sigh. in my pregan past i donated lots of these gifts. since becoming vegan i no longer give holiday gifts so i have been freed from this situation.

Quote:
Animal Aid, for example, will be seeking support for a scheme to plant 2,000 trees in Kenya's Rift Valley province. They will bear oranges, avocados, mango, pawpaw, kei apple and macadamia nuts. Such efforts won't erase the blight of poverty in Africa, but neither will they add to it.

he's got a good point, trees are nice, but unless they're also building irrigation systems they're not likely to be super successful. also, if they aren't helping people find alternative sources of fuel those trees are likely to be cut next year and used for cooking.

I wouldn't give an animal donation anymore, but when we do have the chance to travel into the interior here in Brazil it's possible to see the advantage that some animals can give families who really don't have any resources or other means of obtaining food. the few eggs that some hens can lay are worth volumes to the family that sustains itself mostly from root vegetables grown in the back yard, without money even to buy beans and rice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:16 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I stopped donating to Oxfam a few years ago when they sent me an email set to 'The Twelve Days of Christmas', with each line describing what animals my contribution would pay for, including crocodiles for meat farming (talk about the top of the food chain)!

I also read another article a couple of years ago about Heifer Intl. starting up dairies in Africa amidst populations that were largely lactose intolerant and without the resources to safely store dairy products.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:26 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

When I was a junior in highschool my women's history class did a fundraiser for Heiffer International. I didn't know if i should participate but I was told that the cows weren't killed or anything, they were used to help the whole community. I collected cans for it, but nowadays I don't know how I feel about it...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:37 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

VegFam is a great alternative. They actually are involved quite a bit with creating wells, irrigation systems in drought ridden areas etc.

http://www.vegfamcharity.org.uk/current-projects.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:56 pm 
ugh

Mr. Tyler makes a good case against supporting organizations like Heifer. I get that impoverished people may need eat animals/animal products when they don't have other options, but I'm definitely not going to donate to an organization that promotes animal use when there are better choices available.

VegFam sounds like a good one. Food for Life is another: http://www.ffl.org/about/

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:34 pm 
Asked Santa for a pony

Cool. I'm glad I have coherent and sounds reasoning behind not wanting to support those organizations other than just being a crasshole vegan that values animals over people.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:17 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Animal agriculture is, and always will be expensive. And to assume that impoverished families can afford it is ridiculous! It's like giving a Ferrari to someone who could never afford the insurance. Sweet ride, but you should really just ride a bike.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:22 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Jill wrote:
I stopped donating to Oxfam a few years ago when they sent me an email set to 'The Twelve Days of Christmas', with each line describing what animals my contribution would pay for, including crocodiles for meat farming (talk about the top of the food chain)!

I also read another article a couple of years ago about Heifer Intl. starting up dairies in Africa amidst populations that were largely lactose intolerant and without the resources to safely store dairy products.

The crisis center I volunteer at had a jar to raise money for Oxfam and at the next meeting they want to go through the catalogue and pick out animals to get :(

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:04 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

Doesn't Oxfam do other stuff? I don't remember them always being a farm animal free-for-all.

This is a great article. I agree with Nebraskalaska, it's great to have a good solid argument that doesn't just come across as "I'm vegan, everyone in Africa should be too."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:41 pm 
ugh

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Doesn't Oxfam do other stuff? I don't remember them always being a farm animal free-for-all.

Yeah, they do other stuff, too. I wish they'd let the animal part of it go. Here's the Oxfam America Unwrapped catalog: http://www.oxfamamericaunwrapped.com/home.php

I saw a big Oxfam ad today at the mall with that poor alpaca on it. :(

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman