| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53
 Post subject: Re: Should I eat this? The official thread
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 4:48 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I looked again and it actually says Sell By, not Best By, but yeah it's pretty old. It looks normal, but I don't usually even try things past the date printed on them, so I guess I'll just toss it. Damn it, I need to pay more attention to my fridge drawer!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:42 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Amy wrote:
I looked again and it actually says Sell By, not Best By, but yeah it's pretty old. It looks normal, but I don't usually even try things past the date printed on them, so I guess I'll just toss it. Damn it, I need to pay more attention to my fridge drawer!

Luckily I live in a house of two and we share food, so there's not a lot of food in the fridge, typically. . . But this is why I never use drawers. (Ours are all opaque!) I used to waste SO MUCH FOOD because I couldn't see it and out of sight, out of mind. Blah!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:22 pm 

oddspongeout wrote:
Amy wrote:

Luckily I live in a house of two and we share food, so there's not a lot of food in the fridge, typically. . . But this is why I never use drawers. (Ours are all opaque!) I used to waste SO MUCH FOOD because I couldn't see it and out of sight, out of mind. Blah!

Same! I stopped using drawers a few years ago, except for the rare times that I buy bottle water. It's where vegetables go to die.

Etsy shop: https://www.etsy.com/shop/StrangeJourneyDesign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:00 pm 

zelavie wrote:
oddspongeout wrote:
Amy wrote:

Same! I stopped using drawers a few years ago, except for the rare times that I buy bottle water. It's where vegetables go to die.

And the tempeh was way in the back of the drawer! Sneaky tempeh.

I definitely have forgotten vegetables. I'm ok with it when I'm really in the habit of cooking healthy, just because I'm in the fridge so much. But there are weeks when it just doesn't happen and it's like, oh shiitake, I had two pounds of carrots in there?!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:00 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I bought some plain vegan soy yogurt, part of the seal was broken but it might have happened when I tossed it into my bag. It smells kinda sour and there was a clear sour liquid on top. I stirred it up still smells sour and it was solid/jelly like before I stirred it. I am not sure if its gone bad or if that is just how it is.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:39 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Honestly, the separation and jelly texture don't strike me as that suspicious, but I'd be worried about the broken seal. No real way to guarantee when that happened.

Nancy's yogurt has done to me before, and all it did was be unpalatable. I think some "hippie" type yogurts are just like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:51 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

yah the texture is pretty normally it was the pink colour and the strong sour smell and taste that have me suspicious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Oh yeah, I'd stay clear of pink for sure.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:35 am 
Tofu Pup

Tapioca with a best before of about 6 months ago...? :/
Tempted to try it but not sure I could persuade the other half!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:56 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

veebee wrote:
Tapioca with a best before of about 6 months ago...? :/
Tempted to try it but not sure I could persuade the other half!

Flour? like the dry white stuff?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:20 am 
Tofu Pup

Quote:
Flour? like the dry white stuff?

Ohh... that's embarassing. I did not mean tapioca at all, I meant polenta. Sorry, it's a slightly unusual ingredient round here :S

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:24 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

veebee wrote:

Ohh... that's embarassing. I did not mean tapioca at all, I meant polenta. Sorry, it's a slightly unusual ingredient round here :S

Polenta like the dried stuff in granules that you put in water? Or like the blocks of ready-made ones?

I have some of the dried stuff that I've been using for ages with no idea of the date and I think it's still fine. The ready made blocks might be different though, but if they're vaccuum sealed I would think there's not much that could be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 4:30 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

Yah, the dry stuff might get a bit stale and need more water but I have used some really old stuff before and I am still alive.

Although if you find bugs in your throw it out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:40 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

This is probably an obvious no, but I'll give it a try...

I made some of [url="http://minimalistbaker.com/creamy-thai-carrot-soup-with-basil/"]this soup[/url] that turned almost gelatinous after 5 days in the fridge. It was normal pureed soup texture for a few days, then I went to eat it on the fifth day and it had gotten thick enough to pull away from the sides of the tupperware and slide into my bowl in a mass. Not thick like jello, but not a normal liquid texture. The taste was normal.

I googled and I could only find information about soup turning gelatinous because of collagen in meat stocks, which obviously wasn't the reason here. I assume the sudden texture change was probably a bacteria or something sketchy like that so I didn't eat it, but I froze the rest in case it can be redeemed somehow. (Because I'm that cheap, ha.)

Soup ingredients:
1/2 1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, diced
1 pound carrots, scrubbed (or peeled) and chopped (~4 cups)
Salt and Pepper
2 cups Veggie Stock + 2 cups water (I used better than bouillon veggie)
1/3 cup creamy or crunchy salted natural peanut butter (use less for a less intense PB flavor)
2 tsp chili garlic sauce (use less for less spice)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:00 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I'd be wary of something that became gelatinous despite nothing that should make it as such.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:17 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

That sounds weird. Many soups become more thick after refrigerating (leftover potato soup is often pretty solid prior to heating and adding a little more liquid), but I would expect this to happen after the first day and not suddenly after a few days. Maybe check your fridge temp, or could it perhaps have been left out of the fridge for too long at some point? I would go with your gut on this one.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 6:28 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I find pureed soups and even chili tends to get pretty thick the longer its in the fridge.

How did you feel after eating it? You said it tasted normal but did you get any kinda stomach reaction?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have found this happens with certain soups - the Arabian Lentil one from AFR is one. I assumed it was the lentils but maybe the carrots are the culprit? I never worried about it because I knew the soup had been stored properly for less than a week.

A quick google search tells me that carrots are high in pectin, which is of course a gelling agent that occurs naturally but is also added to jams and jellies to thicken them.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Arisaig wrote:
A quick google search tells me that carrots are high in pectin, which is of course a gelling agent that occurs naturally but is also added to jams and jellies to thicken them.

Yep. A friend of mine makes apple & carrot jam and swears she never uses any additional pectin, since both of these ingredients already contain so much of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:47 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

So all my nori sheets have turned a dull brown. I am guessing they oxidized? or are old? They taste okish...

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 12:41 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Ice cream (booja booja and Alpro) and a blood orange sorbet that's defrosted - I've refrozen it but is it safe to eat? All were almost full, I'd just had a few spoonfuls to try each so it pains me to throw them out. The freezer failed but the contents were a mixture of chilled and frozen when I transferred them into another freezer.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 5:14 pm 
Total Hoover

rentaghost wrote:
Ice cream (booja booja and Alpro) and a blood orange sorbet that's defrosted - I've refrozen it but is it safe to eat? All were almost full, I'd just had a few spoonfuls to try each so it pains me to throw them out. The freezer failed but the contents were a mixture of chilled and frozen when I transferred them into another freezer.

I bet the sorbet is ok. I would think the ice cream probably would be as well, but I don't know. The Alpro ones do say to take them out of the freezer 5 minutes before serving so unless they expect people to always eat the whole tub at once, I'd hope they have allowed for a bit of melting and re-freezing.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:18 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I ate some of all of them and survived but the texture wasn't very nice (wish I'd mixed the sorbet before re-freezing as the edge bits are like frozen juice and the rest is a bit thick).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:25 pm 
Total Hoover

I have a bottle of chocolate extract that I bought ages ago knowing it was used in Isa's cupcake book, but I don't bake enough.
Unopened bottle, best before 21st October 2016. Ingredients: water, alchohol (45% by volume), natural chocolate extractives.

I'm intending to bake cupcakes on Saturday, either chocolate or rum 'n' raisin flavour. If I put the extract in chocolate cupcakes, could it make anyone ill? Would it still taste good?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:44 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I would imagine it's fine if unopened...it'll be baked in the cupcakes too which will help.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1325 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 49, 50, 51, 52, 53