| FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Year Zero
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 3:32 am 
Grandfathered In

Guys. We're one day in and I'm already exhausted. Is this really as crazy as it seems? The obscene pettiness (inauguration crowd sizes, Donald Trump's hurt feelings because the pwess is being meanies, alternative facts) is already off the charts.

Post subject: Re: The Year Zero
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:16 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

I have seen someone post that we're wearing ourselves out and won't actually have the energy for change later, but I feel invigorated by the protests and I'm glad everyone is making this ever-present (in my bubble anyway). Besides, that same person later posted that they were wrong and they knew a friend who changed their mind on Trump due to all the posts.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:24 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

His statement that the sun came out while he gave his inauguration address was very Kim Jong-il-ish. I live in NoVa and it must have been a very localized ray of sunlight. Or maybe he saw a camera flash?

I'm tempted to sign off the internet and unplug my tv for four years to avoid all the rage I'm going to feel if I continue to care about the state of the planet and the future of our nation. Unfortunately, while I don't have any children of my own, I still care about everyone else's. forking empathy.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 1:34 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I think we are in for four years of extreme unrest and a lot of things that have been accomplished will be set way back to the cave days again. I have three small grandchildren and am very sad that the world they will inherit will be impacted negatively by the results of the election of 2016.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:22 pm 
Grandfathered In

http://www.itmfa.org

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:32 pm 
Grandfathered In

When shown the side-by-side inauguration photos, 15% of Trump voters say the one with obviously fewer people actually shows more people.

Yes, when looking at the two photos, one from Obama's 2009 inauguration and one from Trump's, 15% of Trump voters say the photo that clearly shows fewer people shows more people.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:20 pm 
BAD PASS

When I used to live in Southeast Texas and there would be a hurricane in the Gulf of Mexico, we would go around just kind of...bracing for it. The news or the Weather Channel would be on all the time and we'd be glued to it. That's exactly how I've felt for the past four days. Just always bracing for the next awful piece of news and feeling helpless. Raaaaar.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:04 pm 
Grandfathered In

It just feels like everything's unraveling.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 pm 
Nailed to the V

I keep waiting for someone to leap out, Candid Camera style, and tell me it's all a big, elaborate, nightmarish hoax.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:13 am 
Prefers Jar Jar Binks over Han Solo

Looking at it from this side of the ocean, I feel like getting the popcorn out and watch the show. Then I remember this is real and people are really being affected, and the fun just disappears. What a nightmare.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

There have been protests in the UK recently and my local newspaper reported on the ones in my city. The comments are disgusting. I mean, really. I know comments are usually awful and I know my city voted Brexit and so on but ugh, yuck. I've seen so many racist, misogynistic comments lately I don't know what to think. It's now acceptable to voice these things, whereas before, in general, people realised they should shut up. But I realise now, walking down the streets, in the city, I'm probably passing a lot of people who think that I, as a woman, am not really human. That their neighbours, as non-whites, aren't really human.

You can't help wondering about everyone you meet. Are they nice, normal people? Do they think I'm intrinsically inferior? Do they go home and spout racist comments on Facebook?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:11 am 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I'm finding it hard to keep up with the news about Trump's narcissistic frenzy of activity and still hold down a job.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:44 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been trying not to watch political news at all because of how upsetting his activities are. Just seeing his face and hearing his voice (not to mention what he says) makes me feel pretty crummy. Wish I could go into a cryogenic sleep for four years, though I'm afraid of what I'd find when I wake up :O

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:26 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

FootFace wrote:
When shown the side-by-side inauguration photos, 15% of Trump voters say the one with obviously fewer people actually shows more people.

Yes, when looking at the two photos, one from Obama's 2009 inauguration and one from Trump's, 15% of Trump voters say the photo that clearly shows fewer people shows more people.

This actually doesn't surprise me. Decades ago, I heard about a psychology experiment in which two lines were drawn on a board, one short and one long. A person in a room full of people was then asked to pick out the longer line, but only after the other people in the room had given their opinion. When the whole room pointed to the shorter line (this had been coordinated in advance), the person who wasn't in on the experiment methodology would also point to the shorter line, despite the evidence of his/her own eyes.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:34 pm 
Grandfathered In

So, not quite six months in. I am still embarrassed. I still catch myself realizing that our actual president is actually Donald Trump.