| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kitten Emergency! Any cat people awake?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:15 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

I kept hearing yowling outside of my window. At first I thought it was a kitten, but when I went out a couple of times I couldn't find one. One of my dogs kept going nuts though, so I finally took her outside. Well, SHE found the kitten huddled under a bush. Kitty didn't even try to get away from me, just accepted being picked up and cuddled. Immediately began purring like crazy. He feels pretty bony, and is very lethargic. I woke up my roommate and he found me a can of cat food, which I held for kitty to eat. I made a bed out of a beach towel and a sideways box, and settled him down in the bathtub of the spare bathroom with some food and water. Can anyone tell how old this baby is? I can easily hold him in one hand without much kitten left over. I'm scared to death that he's going to die on me if I go to bed. I've been sitting watching to make sure he's breathing.

My roommate agreed to take him to our vet when they open, but is there anything else I can do for right now? He didn't seem interested in water, but it's been raining out the last two days so hopefully he's not dehydrated.

ETA: Kitty is a messy eater, that's cat food on his blanket.

Post subject: Re: Kitten Emergency! Any cat people awake?
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:30 am 
Not NOT A Furry

Probably like four weeks old? just keep kitty warm and calm. I don't know if it can eat mushy food yet but you should try. Take it to the vet in the morning. I hope it'll be ok, I've had this happen before, I bottle fed it for a couple weeks. Get better kitty!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:45 am 
Saggy Butt

If he's eating cat food he'll be about 6 weeks old. Lucky kitty that your dog found him.

Breeder of dust bunnies.
Hermit in training.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

If the kitten won't drink, definitely try wet food if you have it, and if not, maybe see if he/she will eat dry food moistened with water. Is the towel arranged so the kitten can cuddle into it? Has it peed or pooed yet?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:49 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

carrotflower wrote:
Probably like four weeks old? just keep kitty warm and calm. I don't know if it can eat mushy food yet but you should try. Take it to the vet in the morning. I hope it'll be ok, I've had this happen before, I bottle fed it for a couple weeks. Get better kitty!

He ate about half a can of food when I first brought him inside, then he zonked out. He woke up a few minutes ago and ate most of the rest of the can. I was really afraid he was going to die on me before morning, but I'm cautiously hopeful that he might make it, now. He's looking more kitten-like, instead of being limp, but he's still shaking a bit. :(

Now for the next bit ... anyone in the Georgia area looking to adopt a cat, provided he pulls through? I've got three dogs and I simply cannot afford another animal, plus my boyfriend is already mad at me for bringing this guy into the house. (As if I was going to leave a kitten out in the rain, crying and starving. Hell no. He's lived with me for six years, he should know that wasn't going to happen.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:52 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

celyn wrote:
If the kitten won't drink, definitely try wet food if you have it, and if not, maybe see if he/she will eat dry food moistened with water. Is the towel arranged so the kitten can cuddle into it? Has it peed or pooed yet?

He has eaten a small can of wet food, and the towel is primed for cuddling.

He hasn't peed or pooed, should I freak out about that?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:05 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

There will be people who know more about kittens than I do coming round, but in the meantime: since you don't have a way to gauge the kitten's age at this point, I would manually stimulate the kitten to eliminate. Warm water on a washcloth and then stroke back towards the kitten's genitals, if I understand correctly. You are simulating a mother cat's tongue. This should encourage elimination. If no one responds in the morning, please PM me or post; I have a contact for you who just dealt with trying to save a tiny kitty and did the stimulation who can describe it to you. I think it's really a great idea to take the kit to the vet to see how it is doing tomorrow. You are awesome.

It's good the kitty ate the wet food! I hope he/she is sleeping comfortably and warm and that you are relaxing!

eta: what a sweetie pie! Cutie kitten.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:30 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

Make sure you get him kitten food, adult food can give them a very upset tummy, which would increase the potential of dehydration. You can get fluids into him/her by pouring a little water over the food before serving it, cats naturally lick their food so s/he should lick it off before eating. Good luck! <3

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:21 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

With ears that big and eyes that wide, he's old enough to eat food and potty on his/her own. Did you give him anything resembling a litter box?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:05 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Update - Roommate left me a cryptic note about waiting for the vet to call him back.

Kitty is WAY more lively this morning, which is good. Now that he's got some food and some fight in him, he's decided that he hates the sight of me, which is a little less good, if understandable. When I picked him up he hissed at me, so I put him down. He hopped over the side of the bathtub and hid behind the toilet. I got him another can of wet food, and fished him out from behind the fixture. He yowled at me angrily but didn't try to bite or scratch me. I don't think he's had anything much to do with people, and I guess he only took the help last night because he was desperate.

I have rigged him up a litter box, and I put him in it and did little scratches in the litter, so he knows it's there. Maybe he will excrete something after he finishes his breakfast.

I'm so, so, happy that he's in better shape this morning, but I'm really worried about his future. I was anxious about finding a home for a kitten at all, a feral/half feral kitten will be a huge challenge. Cat rescues around here are full to the brim, and not accepting new animals. Sadly I have neither the funds nor the partner support to keep him myself. Short term though, things are looking up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:37 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Fleurdenoir wrote:
I'm so, so, happy that he's in better shape this morning, but I'm really worried about his future. I was anxious about finding a home for a kitten at all, a feral/half feral kitten will be a huge challenge. Cat rescues around here are full to the brim, and not accepting new animals. Sadly I have neither the funds nor the partner support to keep him myself. Short term though, things are looking up.

One of our cats was an 8-week-old feral kitten when we caught her. She's a little more fearful than our other cat, but she interacts and cuddles with us a lot.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:39 am 
Semen Strong

I found Veto in an abandoned lot when he was about the same size, and my experience was really similar to what you are describing. He was absolutely starving and scarfed down first tuna and then kitty food. He was scared of us at first, but it only took a few days before he felt safe. He learned how to use a litter box superquickly, we just put one near him and put him in it et voila! I had never had a cat, so I am still supergrateful to the PPK for their advice.

We took him to the vet, who helped us assess a baseline. Basically he had infections from being out in the cold (him mother had most likely abandoned him when she moved the nest bc he was in poor shape), and fleas. We gave him a bath with Dr. Bronners to deal with the fleas (thank you PPK!).

He has grown from being under a lb to a solid 16lbs and he is such a love <3 I hope you are able to find a good home for this little guy.

ETA: where are you located?

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:56 am 
Hearts James Cromwell

Tofulish wrote:
He has grown from being under a lb to a solid 16lbs and he is such a love <3 I hope you are able to find a good home for this little guy.

ETA: where are you located?

I'm in Athens, GA. I have been calling rescues all morning, with no success. I've also posted on my facebook and twitter accounts. I really don't want him to go to the pound. He's scared and traumatized already and I'm afraid that he wouldn't look very adoptable cowering away from people. Another aspect of this is that I am at capacity for animals in the house under my lease, which makes it imperative that I work this out as quickly as I can.

**I'm calling kitty "he" for the sake of simplicity, I actually have no idea if it's a boy or a girl.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:45 am 
WRETCHED

I found one website which you may have already found, Cat Zip Alliance? Their goal seems to be a resource for helping feral kittens/cats in the Athens, GA area
http://catzip.org/kca.html

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:00 pm 
Just Loathin' Around!

Lookit the wee white paws.
Mr. Bran was half dead when he was picked up, probably about the same age as this cat. He's almost 13 now and huge and will sink in your chest cavity when sitting on you in the middle of the night.
Thank you for taking the wee one in.

Panda With Cookie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:29 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

linanil wrote:
I found one website which you may have already found, Cat Zip Alliance? Their goal seems to be a resource for helping feral kittens/cats in the Athens, GA area
http://catzip.org/kca.html

Thanks for the link. I called and talked to someone very nice, she gave me some tips on taking care of the little guy. Unfortunately that's all she could do. They don't have any foster homes or a shelter. I am hoping facebook will yield a friend or a friend of a friend who can take him in, that's the best case scenario. (Unless a PPKer comes to get him! That would be super best.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:47 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

I hope you are able to find a home for this sweetheart!

For now, just give him his space, but give him lots of pets and reassurance if he seems receptive to it. It's good that he is eating, but probably normal that for now he is not defecating. Kitties are naturally anxious animals and such a traumatic event has probably made him even more sensitive.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Kitty has gone potty, in the litter box! I don't think I've ever been happy to see that someone has peed in my house, before.

I'm still striking out on finding him a home, and since he's hissing at me I think it's going to need to be a very calm, patient, person who takes him in. The woman I talked to at the feral cat place said I should hold and pet him, and that it's a good sign that he hisses, but doesn't bite or scratch. After I pick him up, he settles down.

I haven't made a Craigslist ad, which is about the only thing I can think of that I haven't done. I feel kind of icky about trying to adopt him out through Craigslist, but maybe I should go ahead and type something up.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:53 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

You are awesome for taking care of that wee one! I hope someone comes through and a home is found! Good luck!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 6:13 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Thank you for taking him in even if its only temporary.

I am not surprised to hear all the shelters are full- right now thats pretty common.

I posted the link to this PDF from Best Friends sanctuary in Utah on how to find a home for a stray or abandoned animal on the old boards a few times.

http://www.bestfriends.org/nomorehomele ... orpets.pdf

I happen to like this particular one because even though it is long- it's very comprehensive.

If the link does not work-please PM me.

I can email the document to you.

Good luck!

SuzyHB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:33 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Craigslist ad!

http://athensga.craigslist.org/pet/2118402078.html

I apologize for the spam-a-thon on this thread. I am very grateful for the links, advice, and encouragement from everyone. Thank you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:38 pm 
Semen Strong

My sense is to charge a small fee, even if you donate it to a local rescue or use it to pay for her spaying, because really you don't want people thinking oh cute, I'll take this cat if they aren't ready to care for her. Especially if it means that she ends up having litter after litter after litter outside. There are a ton of people who are really well meaning, but don't find the money or the low cost clinic to spay/neuter their pets, and we all know how fast cats can replicate.

I may completely be wrong, and I hope I'm not coming across as a dick.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:41 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Awww! She is so cute. I wish I could help in some way. I am sure lots of good karma is on its way to you for doing this kind thing.

I second Tofulish's recommendation. I know logically you'd think offering her for free would make it easier to find her a home, but it is important that her new owner understands that a kitten is an investment. I like the idea of using the fee for spaying.

Please let us know how it goes! I wish I wasn't so far away, we've talked about getting Luna a friend, and it isn't a very good time for us to do that right now, but I'd help if I could.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:44 pm 
Spent a night at the Bates Motel

Also, I don't know if you're familiar with livejournal, but there are communities for vegans, and some of the communities are region specific. I've seen postings in this "veganpeople" community looking for homes for animals, and there have been some happy endings for those animals. Just another avenue to consider.

Or I could actually be helpful and search for you... looks like the vegan georgia community hasn't been updated in three years, bummer. http://community.livejournal.com/vegangeorgia/profile

Here's the veganpeople comm: http://community.livejournal.com/veganpeople/

If you don't have a livejournal already, I'd be happy to make a post for you if you're interested in trying that route.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:46 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

Tofulish wrote:
My sense is to charge a small fee, even if you donate it to a local rescue or use it to pay for her spaying, because really you don't want people thinking oh cute, I'll take this cat if they aren't ready to care for her. Especially if it means that she ends up having litter after litter after litter outside. There are a ton of people who are really well meaning, but don't find the money or the low cost clinic to spay/neuter their pets, and we all know how fast cats can replicate.

I may completely be wrong, and I hope I'm not coming across as a dick.

Tofulish is right.

I would HIGHLY you ask for at least something in the range of $50-100.

Also ask for references and check them.

There are a lot of people who scan Craigs List for animals "needing homes" and then sell them to labs.

If nothing else you can put it towards a Friends of Animals spay/neuter certificate.

http://www.friendsofanimals.org/programs/spay-neuter/

Just for future reference you should never do a "free to a good home" type of ad.

Sorry to be a downer- but I have seen this so many times that I really feel like I need to speak up.

Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next