| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:40 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Should I be concerned about these dogs?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:22 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

This afternoon I was driving down my street, which is a fairly populated street which runs through a forest. Not really urban OR suburban, and no sidewalks, lots of houses, safe area, big forest. About a third of a mile from a majorish thoroughfare, but still on my neighborhoody street, I saw a yellow lab walking down the road by himself, so I pulled over. It was an old dog, and he came up to me wagging, but also kind of growly at the same time, so I couldn't get to his collar/tags. As I walked forward, I saw another big dog, a black samoyed-type, and he was in the front yard of the next house down, also running around unsurpervised. Someone drove into the driveway next to that dog, so I asked him about the dogs, and he said that they live in adjacent houses next door to him and that it's not uncommon for either of them to be out alone during the day. When I came home five hours later, the black dog was still out. Their owners let them be outside unsupervised and even though I am worried about their safety and one of them was growling at me in the street, but they both seem to be well-cared for. I am concerned. I don't know that I can do anything.

Post subject: Re: Should I be concerned about these dogs?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:31 pm 
Semen Strong

Those kind of things are really frustrating. I live in a neighborhood where people are really negligent with their dogs. I generally find where the dog lives and tell the owner about my concerns. Some of them have taken the advice and others haven't, but at least I said something.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:45 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

You are right, Tofulish. I did the wrong thing I think. I had an appointment today so I just left. That was stupid. The road is super-curvy and long and sometimes trucks use it as a shortcut. Something bad could happen to the dogs or to another dog or a pedestrian before I see them again. I will make the time to say something to the owner(s) next time I see one or the other of the dogs.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:57 pm 
Semen Strong

I don't think you did the wrong thing at all celyn. Its really nice of you to go above and beyond to let the people know, but you don't have any obligation to and definitely didn't do anything wrong.

If you're concerned about the timing, you could just leave a note - just write what you said, that the road is super-curvy and long and sometimes trucks use it as a shortcut and that you are worried that something bad could happen to the dogs or to another dog or a pedestrian who tries to help them.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:39 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

My old neighbours used to do this when I was in high school, I once found their dogs wandering around a main road when I got off the bus, about a 10 minute walk from our houses. I took them back and told the owners about it, but they didn't care. They were the kind of people that ran an unregistered taxi service out of their house and had a overgrown lawn covered in broken shopping trolleys, so I didn't think that they would really listen to me.

I would let these people know too. They might not listen to you, but if enough people talk to them about it then they might start to take notice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 12:50 pm 
used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16

I would definitely say something next time, even though they might not do anything about it, at least you can feel you did your part. Or if your town has leash laws, report them.

I found a gorgeous husky roaming a very busy street in the dark last weekend. I pulled over and she ran up to my car wagging her tail so I threw the leash I keep in my car for Gizmo on her and went walking door to door trying to find her owner since she had a collar on but no tags. No success though so I had to bring her to the police station because the local no-kill animal control was closed. Luckily the police had a crate, blanket and bowl to give her until either her parents called looking for her or until animal control opened in the morning. I am assuming she broke loose from her yard because her collar was covered in pine needles and grass(crawled under a fence maybe) but she was really well taken care of, clean, healthy and happy so I wasn't too worried.

I hate when people purposely let their dogs run loose. Whenever I see that in my neighborhood I always bring the dog back to where it lives and lie to the owner saying I almost hit the dog hoping to scare them into leash walking or putting them in a secure yard, but nope, that doesn't work. Some people are just jerks.

The day Joy stops coming out of my anus is the day that something else awesome stops doing whatever it is also doing. - Mars

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:31 pm 
Lime and a Coconut

My neighbors have 2-3 very small dogs (mini poodle, chihuahua) that they let run up and down the street whenever they please. Thankfully it's not an all-day thing, but it's pretty stupid regardless. In addition to traffic, there are a lot of other dogs in the neighborhood, not all of whom are friendly.