| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hamsters-sticky eye
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 9:52 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

My dwarf hamster's (Peter) left eye is not protruding as much as his right eye and it looks a little goopy and red. I took him to the vet last Friday and he's been getting antibiotic eye drops ever since. It hasn't done anything and has seemed to have gotten worse. After reading some things, I think it might be "sticky eye", which is described to be something under his eyelid that is bothering him. We use carefresh ultra bedding for him so I'd like to think it isn't that that's bothering him. The only thing that I can think that may be different is that we've been using the humidifier a lot in the room lately and. And, I've also been using eculyptus essential oil with it. However, this started before that.

His eye has never been completely crusted shut. After first waking up, it is more closed then usual, but still open slightly.

Some sites say to use a warm water on a clean cloth to wipe his eye. Others say to use contact solution or cooled boiled water. Does anyone have experience with this? If so, what have you used to help your little guy/girl?

Post subject: Re: hamsters-sticky eye
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:09 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

The only eye problems my hamsters have had are cataracts and glaucoma.

Maybe you can try a new batch of bedding? There could be dust, a chemical, or some other irritant in the batch you have now. Or the eucalyptus oil may be making an earlier irritation worse?

It sounds like maybe you should see the vet again if it's getting worse, or maybe another vet for a second opinion. In the meantime I think a compress with warm contact lens solution would at least be soothing.

Hope your little guy feels better soon :(