| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Diarrhea and Vomiting!
PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:53 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Our dogs are sick. We have three. Two are 1 year old siblings. Those two started having diarrhea about three days ago. The boy seemed to get over it in about a day, but the female still has the squirts. She's been going out of our room every night and shitting around the house. Annoying for us and very uncomfortable for her. She also has a really yucky odor coming from her rear end and it seems like there might be some kind of fluid leaking out--her brother is very interested in this, disgusting, sorry. Our third dog (female, 10.5 years old) developed diarrhea today. So I fed them all a little plain yogurt mixed with some pumpkin puree and nothing else today (should have done this days ago). We bought some chicken (yuck, I know, they are not vegetarians) at the advice of a vet tech friend and were planning to feed that along with some rice to them tomorrow instead of their regular food. Well, the younger female threw up some yellow liquid just a little bit ago and there were a few drops of (bright red) blood in it. Very upsetting, we're taking her to the vet in the morning. She seems okay, is eating and drinking. I really hope she is okay, I feel like a bad dog owner for not taking her sooner, but we thought it would clear up on its own. We had two dogs die of pretty rare diseases last year, so I really, really hope it's not something terrible. Any advice or stories of this happening to you would be great. Or tell me if I'm being a big dummy and should get in the car and go to the emergency vet right now.

Post subject: Re: Diarrhea and Vomiting!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:52 am 
Seagull of the PPK

could be parasites, giardia, lots of things. my puppy came to us with parasites and even though i give him dewormer religiously i can always tell when it's time to redose because his poop goes back to diarrhea.
your girl might have an infected anal gland, i've never had a dog who needed to have the gland expressed but it sounds like maybe there's something going on in there.
As for the vomiting and blood, I hope you get an answer from the vet today. feel better, pups!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:07 am 
Thinks chickens are assholes

It certainly sounds like something infectious but may be nothing more than a doggy tummy bug. The anal leaking could just be because of the diarrhoea, gland juice has a bit of a rotten fish smell. If the blood is bright red don't panic, it's likely to be a little burst blood vessel from the vomiting, it's not that uncommon. Between my cat & dog we've had blood coming from both ends at times here and the vet said the bright blood indicates it's from the outer end of the gastric tracts and not normally a worry.

Hope they're all feeling better soon, try to rest their stomachs for 12 hours then start them on small doses of boiled chicken & rice. Make sure you cook the rice fresh each day to avoid risk of food poisoning.

Hope they're all feeling better soon!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:57 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

it definitely sounds like something infectious to me. how did things go at the vet? if it were me, i'd bring in stool samples from all of the dogs for testing. since they live together, if one of them picks up something, it's likely to spread. some gastrointestinal infections are really contagious, and even if a dog isn't displaying serious symptoms for something, he or she could still be a carrier.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 5:31 pm 

Yuck, I know how much this sucks. We have 2 Great Danes and let me tell you, when they get the runs it is a freaking nightmare cleaning all that crepe up!!! Here are some things we've done to help little bouts (this is stuff our vet told us about):

-Withhold food for 12-24 hours, keep plenty of fresh water around
-When you feed again, give them pureed pumpkin (or any winter squash works)--there is lots of fiber in it that helps harden things up back there.
-Mix in acidophilus powder in their food (our dogs get 3 capsule's worth each, not sure how much you would need for your dogs) or you could also feed them yogurt (any kind, it's the acidophilus that's working)
-Mix in the powder from milk thistle capsules--one capsule's worth per day (I have no idea how/why this works but it seems to get them regular and firm up their poop!)

I think the nasty discharge is probably the anal gland 'juice'--you really don't want an infection to get started with that because it is seriously the most disgusting odor EVER if the vet has to squeeze the glands out to release pressure. My husband AND the vet almost passed out cold the one time one of our danes had this infection...gross!!! The longer the diarrhea lasts the more chance you have of them getting an infection because it's the hard poop that discharges the glands on a regular basis and prevents the buildup/infection. Sorry for all the TMI but I hope it will be helpful!

ETA: Sorry I just saw you already did the pumpkin/yogurt thing...hopefully something else will help!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:06 pm 

Well, we went to the emergency vet late Friday night/early Sat. morning. The older dog threw up a big pile of bloody stuff in the middle of the night and then wasn't moving very much. At first I thought it was the pumpkin, but it was definitely red, not orange. We tried to get them to drink some water or see if they would eat peanut butter on their way out, just to see because they normally love it, and neither one would. I was convinced they were going to die. So we brought all three dogs to the vet (left the unsick boy in the car just in case they needed to see him). They had some blood work done and were somewhat dehydrated with slightly elevated potassium levels, but we decided against hospitalizing them or having further tests/xrays because they were very, very expensive at the emergency clinic and the vet said that should be fine as long as we monitor them closely. They had antivomiting shots (just one each for one day) and were injected with some fluids. We went home with antibiotics/anti-diarrhea medicine and instructions not to feed them anything for that day and only give a quarter cup of water, then small bits of boiled chicken/rice today through Tuesday. If they start vomiting again or if the diarrhea doesn't subside we're supposed to take them back.

They're doing better, no more throwing up so far and definitely less diarrhea. Of course, they have hardly had anything to eat or drink, though. Neither wants to drink very much, so I've put their boiled chicken/rice in a little cup of water for them today. they are very hungry and I feel quite bad that they don't understand why we are starving them. I feel that must be a good sign in any case. The unsick dog is still fine, but he doesn't seem to want to drink very much water today either. The vet didn't really know what caused their illness. We were really worried about parvo even though they're vaccinated, but the vet wasn't worried at all about that. He also seemed to dismiss parasites too, although I'm not sure why. I wish I had asked more about the anal gland thing because she and her brother sometimes leak super nasty stuff even when they're healthy. I brought a stool sample in, but the vet was not interested in it! Isn't that strange? Don't they usually want to test that stuff? I'm surprised because they were quite thorough otherwise. Maybe because we didn't want to pay for all of the tests? But they didn't even suggest that in the initial estimate.

If this does not clear up very soon, we will be taking them to a non-emergency vet for more investigation into the cause. I know they ate some fertilizer off of the ground, organic for citrus trees, not a ton, but could have been sort of a substantial amount. I also have some organic fertilizer spikes in pots that they are very interested in. They also ate some christmas tree lights (not the actual lights, but chewed on the plastic star coverings), which could cause an obstruction, but I am skeptical of this because the older dog does not usually do things like this. And they chewed the bark of the tree (date palm, luckily not sago palm). These are the things I think are most likely to have caused this, other than another animal's poop or a virus.

Fezza, why would cooking the rice and then refrigerating it to feed for a few days cause food poisoning?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:32 pm 

Aww...I hope your little babies are getting better. Not sure what to think of the vet; it sounds like you had so much info to give and the samples but they weren't interested? Let us know how they're doing. I really feel for you too, with all that stuff to be cleaning up :(

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:13 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

It does seem strange that the vet didn't think to test your dogs for parvo since it's so communicable. When our dog was a puppy, the first couple of days after we adopted him, he didn't seem to have much of an appetite, had very loose stool, and on the occasions he did eat, vomited whatever he ate pretty soon afterwards. We took him to the vet and the first thing the vet suggested was a parvo test. That came back negative, so they took a look at his stool sample and said that it seemed like it could be giardia.

I would definitely recommend taking your dogs to your regular vet to get a second opinion. Poor guys...I hope your dogs feel better soon! It's so stressful having sick animals because it's not like they can communicate what's bothering them or making them feel ill.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:29 am 

Yeah, I can't figure out why they wouldn't have wanted to test for any parasites or diseases, especially when I had poop with me! The vet said that parvo was extremely unlikely in a 10.5 year old vaccinated dog and pretty unlikely in a vaccinated year and two month old dog. He didn't say anything about giarda. They are doing well so far, no throwing up at all, very minimal diarrhea yesterday and none today. No poop at all today actually, but they have hardly eaten anything and it is pouring rain here. They're very prissy about rain. I think we will see how things go tomorrow and decide if we should go to the regular vet. We don't actually have a regular vet, though, since we just moved here in August and haven't had to go yet. I do have a recommendation, though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:00 pm 

Well, I wanted to update on how our pups are doing. None of the dogs, even the not-so-sick boy (Koji), had pooped at all since early Saturday morning until yesterday. It has been pouring here for days and it has been a battle to get any of them to even walk on the wet grass. It would be comical if it wasn't so incredibly frustrating. I took all three for a walk, one at time, last night and we had poop success from the boy and the older girl (Roxy). The younger girl (Kotone) still hasn't pooped since Friday night! I am worried about this, but the vet didn't seem to be too concerned. They said that since she is eating and drinking and not throwing up that it will happen eventually, and that we could give them some fiber or karo (i think?) syrup to speed it up. Well, my dumb asparagus forgot that raisins are toxic to dogs and fed her a handful of them! I feel so terrible, I remembered right after and gave her a little peroxide, which made here throw them all up quickly and relatively easily, thank god. But I feel so bad for making the poor little thing throw up. I've never had to do that before. A little later I fed her a little pumpkin puree for fiber. Nothing has happened yet, but hopefully soon. And hopefully it stops raining sometime soon too!

also, I found out that the antibiotics/anti-diarrhea medicine they are on--metronidazole--is also what is used for giardia in case anyone was wondering.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

ilovemountains wrote:
also, I found out that the antibiotics/anti-diarrhea medicine they are on--metronidazole--is also what is used for giardia in case anyone was wondering.

vets will give this for any diarrhea, even if giardia isn't suspected, but they usually still want you to give the full ten-day course. i'm glad your puppies are coming along!