| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade Condensed Soy Milk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:19 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Hey guys, my bookmark for condensed milk made with powdered soy was for the old boards. I did a search on google, but came up with a few different recipes and like to get PPK tried and true stuff rather than strange recipes from the internet. Anyone have it?

Formerly rad.badger

Post subject: Re: Homemade Condensed Soy Milk
PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:39 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

I have this one that seems to have been saved in ppkfont so I'm assuming it's from the old boards.

1/4 c. soy milk powder
1/4 c. water
2 T. EB
1/2 c. sugar
pinch salt

Makes 5 oz. of sweetened condensed milk

SWEETENED CONDENSED SOYMILK DIRECTIONS
1. Mix water and soy milk powder.
2. Boil or microwave on high for 1.5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a separate pan on the stove, melt margerine on MED-HI.
4. Once it's melted, add sugar to melted margarine. Whisk immediately to incorporate. You don't need to worry about "cooking" the sugar. The texture should be fluffy and powdery.
5. Immediately, add hot soymilk mixture and salt to the margerine/sugar mixture.
6. Gently Boil for 5 minutes.
7. Cool until ready to use (I usually stick mine in the freezer for a minute to cool quickly)
8. The recipe makes much more than you need for the pie so expect to have extra.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:45 am 
Tofu Pup

Finding this post may be the best part of my day today, since I've been looking for a vegan version of this stuff for yonks, but never seem to find one.

One question: I live in Israel and have a lot of trouble finding powdered soy milk (as in I can't). Do you think I could just sub liquid soy milk in this recipe, half a cup?

Ta!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:02 pm 

Mirj wrote:
Finding this post may be the best part of my day today, since I've been looking for a vegan version of this stuff for yonks, but never seem to find one.

One question: I live in Israel and have a lot of trouble finding powdered soy milk (as in I can't). Do you think I could just sub liquid soy milk in this recipe, half a cup?

Ta!

I don't think so. The 1/4 cups of soy milk powder and water do not equal 1/2 c. soy milk. To make a cup of soy milk with the powder you only need a tablespoon or two, so using this much powder and a little water makes a really thick soy milk. I'm not sure if you could cook it down to the consistency of condensed milk. But soy milk is cheap so if you give it a try post your results.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:43 am 
Tofu Pup

Catalina wrote:
Mirj wrote:

Ta!

I don't think so. The 1/4 cups of soy milk powder and water do not equal 1/2 c. soy milk. To make a cup of soy milk with the powder you only need a tablespoon or two, so using this much powder and a little water makes a really thick soy milk. I'm not sure if you could cook it down to the consistency of condensed milk. But soy milk is cheap so if you give it a try post your results.

Argh, foiled again!

Someone here in Israel, not a vegan, suggested I try soy-based baby formula powder. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Mirj wrote:
Someone here in Israel, not a vegan, suggested I try soy-based baby formula powder. Any thoughts?

It will work fine but I'm not sure if they are really vegan (they are packed with vitamins and other stuff that can be animal derivated).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:18 am 
Huffs Nooch

I've made condensed milk from soy milk. I used something like 3 cups of milk and maybe 1/2C sugar, then simmer until it's reduced to 1 cup. I also add a pinch of salt and a touch of vanilla.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:14 am 
Tofu Pup

julie wrote:
I've made condensed milk from soy milk. I used something like 3 cups of milk and maybe 1/2C sugar, then simmer until it's reduced to 1 cup. I also add a pinch of salt and a touch of vanilla.

Now THAT sounds like a plan. I'm going to try that when I get home from work tonight, and then vegan fudge, here I come!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:55 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Catalina wrote:
I have this one that seems to have been saved in ppkfont so I'm assuming it's from the old boards.

1/4 c. soy milk powder
1/4 c. water
2 T. EB
1/2 c. sugar
pinch salt

Makes 5 oz. of sweetened condensed milk

SWEETENED CONDENSED SOYMILK DIRECTIONS
1. Mix water and soy milk powder.
2. Boil or microwave on high for 1.5 minutes. Set aside.
3. In a separate pan on the stove, melt margerine on MED-HI.
4. Once it's melted, add sugar to melted margarine. Whisk immediately to incorporate. You don't need to worry about "cooking" the sugar. The texture should be fluffy and powdery.
5. Immediately, add hot soymilk mixture and salt to the margerine/sugar mixture.
6. Gently Boil for 5 minutes.
7. Cool until ready to use (I usually stick mine in the freezer for a minute to cool quickly)
8. The recipe makes much more than you need for the pie so expect to have extra.

Hehe
This is from my blog. I used SCSM in my avocado pie :)
http://veganexplosion.com/avocado-pie-2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:13 pm 

I knew it was ppk related! I made that pie for my sister and it was awesome. Thanks for adding the link, everyone needs to make it. I don't know if someone else cut down the amounts or I did.