| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:55 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: dealing with nausea
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:30 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Any tips for dealing with nausea? I learned two days ago that I've got the beginnings of a kidney infection and was put on an antibiotic that doesn't agree with my stomach so much. I've tried to eat bland foods, but I had to take an hour nap this morning to cope with the nausea as I was finishing up my breakfast of toast with applesauce! I was already successful with mashed potatoes and tapioca pudding (with almost no sugar, just tapioca and soymilk), but I've gotten tired of those things already. I'm chowing down on Town House crackers now but need ideas of things that will not make me feel sick and give me energy to get healthy.

Post subject: Re: dealing with nausea
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:54 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

simplybecause81 wrote:
Any tips for dealing with nausea? I learned two days ago that I've got the beginnings of a kidney infection and was put on an antibiotic that doesn't agree with my stomach so much. I've tried to eat bland foods, but I had to take an hour nap this morning to cope with the nausea as I was finishing up my breakfast of toast with applesauce! I was already successful with mashed potatoes and tapioca pudding (with almost no sugar, just tapioca and soymilk), but I've gotten tired of those things already. I'm chowing down on Town House crackers now but need ideas of things that will not make me feel sick and give me energy to get healthy.

Ask your doctor for an anti-nausea prescription. I forget the name of the stuff I always get, but it works well except it does make me super sleepy. A lot of doctors automatically give it with certain other meds; I also had it after surgery.

I have the same issue with antibiotics. I suspect it is worse for vegans because we don't have a huge built up tolerance for antibiotics found in animal products to correspond with the larger doses that are now being prescribed.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:42 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

Ginger! Ginger beer. Crystallized ginger. Ginger tea.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:02 pm 
Bought a used copy of Natural Harvest

mixmaster_mo wrote:

I second this. Strong ginger beer makes me feel good when I'm nauseous. The ginger bite and the bubbles are a great combo.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:04 pm 
Nailed to the V

This might sound gross, and it is, but my mom used to give me water that had maybe a teaspoon of baking soda in it. It always worked!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:30 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Everyone always recommends lemonade to me. I can't remember if it's ever really worked or if it's just an old wives' tale, but it could be worth a try.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:57 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Another ginger vote!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:33 pm 
Baking In The Flavor

I find that a tablespoon or so of apple cider vinegar in a glass of water is pretty helpful for nausea. (I completely got rid of my acid reflux that way, too.) It doesn't taste that great, but 5 minutes after I drink it, I feel totally fine. I'd imagine that the Braggs ACV ginger drink would be awesome for that, too, and probably tastes better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:39 pm 
Be afraid... be very afraid

Ginger is my first choice. Chamomile or peppermint teas can also help. When I have to take antibiotics, I make a concerted effort to add probiotics and prebiotics to my diet. Stick with bland foods and don't let your stomach get completely empty if you can help it. Ages ago I read an article about visualizing anti-nausea by "pushing" the nausea down your esophagus towards the stomach. I know it sounds goofy, but it works for me (unless I have the flu).

Good luck! Kidney infections are awful, so hugs and healing vibes to you!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:13 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

LebaLu wrote:
When I have to take antibiotics, I make a concerted effort to add probiotics and prebiotics to my diet.

I do this too.

Seltzer water usually makes me feel better when I'm nauseous. My mom used to always make congee/rice porridge for me when I was little and sick, and I was usually able to stomach that no matter how nauseous I was. I hope you feel better soon!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 12:17 am 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

paprikapapaya wrote:
mixmaster_mo wrote:

I second this. Strong ginger beer makes me feel good when I'm nauseous. The ginger bite and the bubbles are a great combo.

I always have ginger tea when I am nauseous.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:17 am 
I Wanna Dip My Balls In It

Erinnerung wrote:
Everyone always recommends lemonade to me. I can't remember if it's ever really worked or if it's just an old wives' tale, but it could be worth a try.

flat, room temperature lemonade. does wonders.

ondansetron will do in a pinch if you can scam it from a doctor ;) (and you can afford it. ka-ching!)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:20 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I have chronic migraines with aura & nausea, and I've been loving Badger Balm's "Headache Soother." It's got peppermint, lavender and eucalyptus and all I have to do is smell it to cure my queasiness.

Here's the link! http://www.badgerbalm.com/p-436-headache-soother.aspx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:37 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Steffers! wrote:
This might sound gross, and it is, but my mom used to give me water that had maybe a teaspoon of baking soda in it. It always worked!

this totes works.
even better: Peppermint tea+baking soda.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:15 am 
Saggy Butt

lavawitch wrote:
simplybecause81 wrote:

Ask your doctor for an anti-nausea prescription. I forget the name of the stuff I always get, but it works well except it does make me super sleepy. A lot of doctors automatically give it with certain other meds; I also had it after surgery.

I have the same issue with antibiotics. I suspect it is worse for vegans because we don't have a huge built up tolerance for antibiotics found in animal products to correspond with the larger doses that are now being prescribed.

Phenergan (Promethazine)? This stuff is awesome. I try to keep it on hand for anytime I'm horribly nauseous whether or not I'm taking antibiotics.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:54 am 
Discovered unobtainium

Nora wrote:
Phenergan (Promethazine)? This stuff is awesome. I try to keep it on hand for anytime I'm horribly nauseous whether or not I'm taking antibiotics.

Yes, that's it. All the homeopathic remedies like ginger are great for normal nausea, but if it is really debilitating, one of these will do the trick.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:56 am 
Mispronounces Daiya

Phenergan = win for severe nausea BUT you have to accept the fact that it will put you in a coma.
Ondansetron is good too without the coma, but it is costly, and my current insurance is whiny about paying for it.
I've found compazine does nothing, and reglan makes me angry and tired but gives me insomnia.

Outside of the realm of prescription pharmaceuticals, ice cold flat coke with crushed ice sipped slowly works great. If you can get to a pharmacy (or make someone else go for you), Coca Cola Syrup is perhaps more effective since it isn't watered down. You pour about a tbsp over crushed ice and then suck the syrup off the ice. Works great. Ginger is good, encapsulated works if you don't like the taste, but that stuff is pretty strong and I've found can give me heartburn sometimes (especially if I haven't eaten). I also like mint tea, and Celestial Seasonings makes a "tummy mint" tea that's chamomile and mint and fennel and all sorts of belly soothing things. It tastes not so great, but is pretty good on the belly (I don't like chamomile!!). Really, a few days of rice and crackers and toast isn't going to kill you either!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:09 am 
Smuggling Raisins

I am a big fan of ginger and mint. A drop (teensy) or two of peppermint extract in a glass of cold water often fixes me right up, as does smelling peppermint oil. Tea is good, too.