| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Food in London
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:27 am 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Between Christmas and New Year I'm going down from London to visit my FIL in a hospice. I'm wanting to take him some tasty snacks because apparently the food there is not really to his taste. My Mum works in a hospice and she says that they will heat up things that people bring in or serve them but they need to be clearly labelled with his name and will be strictly thrown out the minute they go past any sell by date. He's always been fond of very healthy simple food, no point taking him cupcakes or junk. I thought I might just go to Wholefoods and have a look round but if anyone has any specific suggestions of other places to try or things to take I'd love to hear them. (They need to survive a train journey to the south coast). I was thinking about maybe a few good salads and then see if there is a range of shelf stable soups without any junk in them, and maybe a few Innocent veg pots depending on sell by dates. And I know he used to always love olives but stopped eating them because of something in them, but I am going to take a small pot of very good ones because if he can't eat them now, when can he?

Post subject: Re: Food in London
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:21 pm 
Semen Strong

I have no good advice, but I wanted to say that I am really sorry that your FIL is in hospice and that I'm sure he will be very happy to see you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:36 pm 
Kitchens Planning Manchester

Ah, thanks. He's actually in better spirits since he went into the hospice, because he's finally stopped trying to cure himself and is listening to the professionals who he now seems to trust.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

Vx sells some frozen meal type things, but I'd say for a one-stop shop dealio you'll find loads at Whole Foods. They have lots of the Amy's stuff (including frozen Daiya mac and cheese), and plenty of the sort of things you already mentioned. There's some great bread too- the sperlonga is amazing with a nice soup.

Shame you can't get to Bills in Brighton or Lewes for olives. They're hands down the best olives I've ever had.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:44 pm 
Aired her grievances, lost the feat of strength

I tried a couple of Vx ready meals & even after their allotted microwave AND oven time they were both frozen & also burnt!!

The Amy's Daiya mac n cheese at Whole Foods on the other hand is amazing.