| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New to veganism - gas and bloating?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:52 pm 
No gift receipt, guess you're stuck with it.

Okay, making my baby steps here.

I've been a vegan for a whopping five days or so. I'm pleased, and it's been easy for me so far, but I'm not sure if I'm screwing up somewhere or if my body just doesn't like something I'm putting into it. I'm eating a lot of whole grains (mostly in pita bread and whole wheat bread), simple cereal (Cheerios with Vanilla Silk is all I've really had), salads galore, more fruits than I've ever eaten in my life, and mostly snacks like nuts or Triscuits with a lot of other random things here and there.

Is there something specific giving me all of this gas and bloating, or is it just the drastic change in going from chips and pizza to salads and whatnot in a 24 hour period? Is there something I should be doing differently?

Post subject: Re: New to veganism - gas and bloating?
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:58 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Welcome to veganism, gas and all.

(Don't be scared. It'll get better. Or not.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:07 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

Your gut flora are adapted to the way you used to eat. Give it a few weeks. You could try taking some probiotics if you want to try to speed the process up.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:11 pm 
Chard Martyr

What Mel said.
And hello, welcome. My, you're attractive.

Who knows? It might be your body adjusting to the change in foods, or it might be the foods you're putting into your body.... I'd give it a couple weeks and revisit the topic (but I'm not an expert or nutritionist or doctor or anything). If you haven't noticed, the PPK likes to talk about bodily functions, so I'm sure that you'll get a lot of varying responses and discussion about individual experiences on the topic.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:33 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

It takes a while for your body to adapt to a completely different diet. If you were used to eating lots of refined starches and processed foods, then eating a lot more whole grains and fruits and veggies will be a bit of a shock to your system. It should resolve on its own, but if it's really bothering you, I'd try some probiotics (or probiotic soy yogurt) for a while to see if it helps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:01 pm 
Naked Under Apron

sounds like you are eating a ton of wheat--maybe cut back and see if you notice a difference...
xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:02 pm 
Bought $40 worth of Stonewall's Jerquee

Meggs wrote:

That made me laugh.

Yeah it takes a while, I still suffer sometimes but that could be for womanly reasons which I can safely assume doesn't apply to you.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Is that you in your avatar? How you doin'?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 pm 
Queen Bitch of Self-Righteous Veganville

Only ppkers would hit on someone in a thread about their gas.

The tree is his penis // it's very exciting // when held up to his mouth // the lights are all lighting // his eyes start a-bulging // in unbridled glee // the tree is his penis // its beauty, effulgent -amandabear

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:19 pm 

Hah! Yes, that's me in my avatar. Thanks, guys, you're all awesome. :)

kittee wrote:
sounds like you are eating a ton of wheat--maybe cut back and see if you notice a difference...

I was actually wondering about that. I've been having an on-again, off-again debate with a friend that intensely follows the Paleo diet, and he's super insistent that a lot of my stomach issues are related to the sheer amount of grain in my diet.

I want to think that's not the case at all, but it's difficult to ignore. I'd rather it be the actual diet change than even think of cutting down on my precious pita bread or brown rice.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:25 pm 
Naked Under Apron

beat wrote:
I want to think that's not the case at all, but it's difficult to ignore. I'd rather it be the actual diet change than even think of cutting down on my precious pita bread or brown rice.

wheat is a really common allergen, brown rice not so much. why don't you cut back on just the wheat for a few days and see if you notice a difference.

xo
kittee

pakupaku
XGFX: Vegan Gluten-Free Stuff
"Stupid society. I'm gonna go put on bikini kill."~Susie Tofu Monster
"Kittee is wise. Listen to Kittee."~Aruna--> the PPKr currently known as mumbaikar

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes, eating a lot of fiber will do that at first. I've been vegan for about a year, and I have to say that the gas has gotten way better with the exception of really beany dishes, especially lentils or split peas. Beano helps a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:35 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

kittee wrote:
beat wrote:

wheat is a really common allergen, brown rice not so much. why don't you cut back on just the wheat for a few days and see if you notice a difference.

xo
kittee

It could also be a combination of things. It could be your body getting used to your new diet, too much wheat, and/or something else entirely. Just like every other dietary change, you just have to monkey around with things until you find something that works well for you and makes you feel good.

As far as the paleo thing, your friend may have a point that too many grains (especially refined grains) isn't good for you, but that hardly is an argument against veganism. From what I know of the paleo diet, it may make you feel good in the short term. It might be good for helping you build muscle or lose fat or whatever. BUT, in the long run, it's really bad for your body, so while you might have superficial gains, your body isn't going to be happy and isn't going to last as long as if you eat a more balanced diet that is designed for people who live 90 years, not 25.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:39 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Dude, I have severe IBS. I'm not picky.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:07 pm 
Chard Martyr

And we like to overshare... did you get that, too?

jordanpattern wrote:
It could also be a combination of things. It could be your body getting used to your new diet, too much wheat, and/or something else entirely. Just like every other dietary change, you just have to monkey around with things until you find something that works well for you and makes you feel good.

I really, really agree with this (Jordan is way more eloquent than I could ever even hope to be)-- I can still have stomach or gastrointestinal issues sometimes, depending on what I eat or if I eat too much of something and I've been eating a vegan diet for a few years now (I mean, lots and lots of salad greens can make me double over in tummy discomfort, and that's just kale!) So, while it could be an allergy or sensitivity, it might be a good idea to just get into the whole vegan swing of things (yay! You said it's been easy for you, congrats!), figure out what your body responds to, what you enjoy eating, and see what happens after another week or so.

If you're still having issues then, perhaps eliminating or decreasing the amount of certain allergens is something to look into? I guess what I'm saying is that if pitas and rice are helping you out right now instead of chips and pizza or whatever else... I'd stick with the pitas and gas! (But that's me and I don't live with anyone else...)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:31 pm 
Flounceiad 2011

mrsbadmouth wrote:

Because we are all about keeping it classy. (Gassy?)

http://elizaveganpage.blogspot.com

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:29 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

On top of the probiotics, you could take a vegetarian digestive aid (and a veg beano type pill as well when eating beans) as well, after meals 'til you've adjusted better.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:45 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

How big are your meals? I can pretty much eat whatever I want if I split it up into smaller meals. If I load it into three big meals -- even if it is the exact same types of foods -- well, watch out.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:23 pm 

janejellyroll wrote:
How big are your meals? I can pretty much eat whatever I want if I split it up into smaller meals. If I load it into three big meals -- even if it is the exact same types of foods -- well, watch out.

Tiny. Everything I eat is usually in snack-sized portions. The largest "meal" I think I've had so far is a veggie burger with some Triscuits. Everything else is usually one at a time. A banana, maybe, and sometime later, a PB&J sandwich, maybe some celery and peanut butter an hour after that.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:33 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

djsuz wrote:
Meggs wrote:

That made me laugh.

ha ha, you know everyone was thinking it, Meggs just had the balls to say it.

also yeah, probiotics help me when I can remember to take them, but it seems like vegans mostly just end up embracing the gas. sexy. I've been vegan a long time and I only get gas off and on, so it's not really bad and never noticeable to other people (I don't think.) I agree with those who said also that your body probably just needs to adjust.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:44 pm 
Ate all the pumpkin seeds

Quarantined wrote:
djsuz wrote:
Meggs wrote:

That made me laugh.

ha ha, you know everyone was thinking it, Meggs just had the balls to say it.

Guilty. But I thought it in the not gas thread.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:25 pm 

You guys are silly. I'm flattered, though!

I'll cut down on the wheat as best as I can for a little while to hopefully help things along, otherwise I'll keep going as I have been. I'll check out probiotics if I get really desperate. Right now, it's just epic discomfort. I feel like a friggin' blimp, and it's not the kind of "big" feeling that simply loosening your pants can fix. Groan.

I'm just hoping I wake up tomorrow and the feeling is pretty much gone. I can dream, right?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:37 pm 
Tofu Pup

beat wrote:
You guys are silly. I'm flattered, though!

I'll cut down on the wheat as best as I can for a little while to hopefully help things along, otherwise I'll keep going as I have been. I'll check out probiotics if I get really desperate. Right now, it's just epic discomfort. I feel like a friggin' blimp, and it's not the kind of "big" feeling that simply loosening your pants can fix. Groan.

I'm just hoping I wake up tomorrow and the feeling is pretty much gone. I can dream, right?

It sounds like you are consuming more fiber that previously...how much water are you drinking? I have to drink 10 cups a day, or else the same thing happens to me!

Good luck!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:56 pm 

That might be it! I'm drinking the same amount of water I was before I changed my diet, but it doesn't seem like it's enough. Probably means it was never enough. I'll see if drinking more water helps out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:14 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

Sorry about the gas. No suggestions. Just thought I'd chime in that you're gorgeous.