| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:29 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dexter!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 6:02 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I don't quite know why I liked Doakes so much. He was just a well-developed character, and even though he was so rough I felt like he was essentially a good guy. Just not in a sappy, annoying way. I also appreciated that he seemed like the only cop actually doing his job, or showing some initiative.

Julia Stiles is on my TV right now, in one of those Bourne movies. She's being all sullen at the moment, but I'm sure she'll bust out a pirouette any second now.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

amandabear wrote:
GhostKale wrote:
doakes was one of those characters i thought was too annoying to live, but then i was actually mad about the way they killed him.

This. He made me really angry but I was sad when he died. He was the best antagonist Dexter has butted heads with.

Literally.

I think I kinda disliked him when I first watched the series, but going back through it, I actually like his character. I think he plays it really well. Apart from stalking Dexter, he's the most cop-like cop on the show. Like, if I had need of the police, I'd want motherforking Doakes to show up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:37 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

I just love that nobody calls him Doakes. He's motherforking Doakes. Haha.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
Banned from Vegan Freaks.

I think it was in the very first episode Dexter wonders how here he is a serial killer working in everyday in homicide and only motherforking Doakes senses that there is something there is something not quite right about him.

Doakes like him or not provided this constant tension (on top of all of Dexters challenges) of having someone around all of the time who is suspicious and who was equally smart and cunning. And I think the chemistry between the 2 actors just worked.

The show seems to be at its best when Dexter has to deal with a “worthy” adversary

And Quinn just doesn’t seem to be in the same league as Dexter which is why I think as a character he seems to constantly fall flat.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:42 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

You know, SuzyHB, I think you're right. That's why last season worked too, because there was a similar tension with Trinity.

Formerly rad.badger

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:09 pm 

Yeah, I hated Lila. I think 4th season is my favorite, because John Lithgow was just so amazing. And I agree with some of you about Doakes - I wanted him gone, but he definitely didn't deserve to die (although at least it makes sense that Lila killed him and not Dexter, because even though he was causing a lot of trouble for Dexter, it wouldn't have been within the code for Dexter to kill him).

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 5:22 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Doakes was doing his job. Even though the series has made Dexter a sympathetic character, he's still a serial killer and that's still a crime. Giving a serial killer a code and having him only go after bad guys is about the only way to make a serial killer a sympathetic character.

That said, I didn't like Lila much, either. Crazy codependent arsonist bisque. I thought the season with Jimmy Smits was very weak. Last season, with Trinity, was fantastic. That said, I will be very grateful never to have to see John Lithgow's naked asparagus again.

This season could go either way. It's still too early to tell.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:58 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I haven't watched any of season 5 yet, but I definitely cried at the end of the last episode of season 4. Need to catch up fast!

I also definitely hated Dexter during season 2 and also the end of season 4 when he was obsessed with the Trinity Killer.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:13 pm 
A gift from the crasshole god.

You guys are on season 5? We haven't even finished season 4 yet!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:01 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

As if he was going to get rid of Stupid Name so easily.

I'm glad the LaGuerta thing didn't go in quite as sleazy a direction as it seemed to be heading.

"I'm now officially wafflesexual." - booberthefraggle

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:06 pm 
ugh

amandabear wrote:
As if he was going to get rid of Stupid Name so easily.

I'm glad the LaGuerta thing didn't go in quite as sleazy a direction as it seemed to be heading.

As much as I like Batista sometimes, the whole our relationship has issues blah blah blah is getting really tiresome.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:47 pm 

I thought it was a boring episode.

I hope this season picks up steam soon because right now it seems to just be going around in circles.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I'm really geeked about Peter Weller showing up. I bet he's going to make it a fun ride.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:59 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Lidwiz wrote:
I'm really geeked about Peter Weller showing up. I bet he's going to make it a fun ride.

I came here to post about that. As soon as he popped up on screen, I thought, whoa, Peter Weller!

I loved when Dexter overheard those women talking about his family and said, 'There's nothing wrong with my son.' bisques.

***SPOILER*** I knew Stupid Name wouldn't get on the plane.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:15 am 
ol' garly cooch

John Lithgow has made me afraid of him forever!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 10:54 am 
Lime and a Coconut

Sooooo don't give a crepe about the Angel/Maria dramz. I like the Santa Muerte storyline but honestly I feel like this season is way too scattered and is trying to follow too many story lines. They've developed the characters so much that I really don't feel like they need to be adding more story lines in addition to the ones they're trying to wrap up/follow from previous seasons.

Also, is it just me, or are they totally setting Deb up to be listening to candyman with the tattoo artist eventually?

ETA: excellent filter.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:04 am 
ol' garly cooch

Erika Soyf*cker wrote:
Sooooo don't give a crepe about the Angel/Maria dramz. I like the Santa Muerte storyline but honestly I feel like this season is way too scattered and is trying to follow too many story lines. They've developed the characters so much that I really don't feel like they need to be adding more story lines in addition to the ones they're trying to wrap up/follow from previous seasons.

Also, is it just me, or are they totally setting Deb up to be listening to candyman with the tattoo artist eventually?

ETA: excellent filter.

ditto on all issues!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:08 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

Yeah, Angel and Maria is so boring to me. I want to see death and blood! I'm torn as to whether or not there's going to be something weird with the babysitter. I think that there has to be, and it may be foreshadowing when earlier on in the season Deb said something like "I wonder why she left Ireland. Maybe she was running from something/someone." I hope that this season gets better soon.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:27 am 
Dr Bronners, MD

So last night's episode was pretty good. The title makes me stabby but the actual episode was decent.

Quinn still icks me out. Deb really has just the worst taste in men.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:50 pm 

I am completely not invested in the Santa Muerte killer at all. Maybe because Dexter isn't paying any attention to it?

And I do not like Quinn or trust him not to hurt Deb. And I am definitely suspicious of the nanny. Something about her demeanor when she called Dexter to sing with her to Harrison really creeped me out.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:53 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

For some reason the nanny isn't creeping me out. At first she was a little bit, but not anymore. Which means she will probably try to eat Harrison or something.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:19 pm 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

i feel like the deb/quinn storyline is just setting her up to get hurt again because of quinn's investigation into dexter. i am kinda sick of her always getting screwed over.

oooor deb could be the reason that quinn doesn't speak up about dexter (if he loves deb & doesn't want to lose her).

i'm suspicious of the nanny... but i have no idea where that will go. she can't possibly be as great as dexter thinks she is.

i am curious about julia stile's character. the part where she was in the tub, and where she was wearing rita's robe and dexter was having rita flashbacks... then the look dex was giving her when she was describing the "peace" the killing had given her... made me think that maybe they were going to fall in love & have some sort of killing mega-team.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:12 am 
ol' garly cooch

maybe i'm just being really really picky, but this season sucks balls. the story lines are all over the place and i'm only watching because i'm addicted to the show in spite of this season's shitty writing. the writing was so solid for the 1st and 4th seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 4:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I have to agree with most of the hate on this season so far. It feels really unfocused, which is so unlike previous seasons. I mean, they always have a lot going on, but there's never been so much that any one thing detracted from the thread that ran through the whole. Even when other stories seemed wholly unconnected to whatever Dexter was doing, it always managed to come back to the central point and pull everything together. This season, it's like a bunch of random plots that could all come from different shows, they make so little sense together.

I'd almost say season 2 was better. They really need to step it up if they want to come back from that assessment.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 8:22 pm 

jewbacca wrote:
maybe i'm just being really really picky, but this season sucks balls. the story lines are all over the place and i'm only watching because i'm addicted to the show in spite of this season's shitty writing. the writing was so solid for the 1st and 4th seasons.

Even though this one of the better episodes the season I pretty much have to agree with this.

I thought the first episode of the season was also really great but since episode two things have just been dragging.

There are just too many story lines with too many characters that I just don't care about. And there too many humongous holes in some of these plot lines. I am willing to "suspend belief" to a certain point but how many times we are supposed to believe that Dexter can keep narrowly escaping these seemingly impossible situations.

Still I am also addicted to the show- mostly because of Michael C. Hall who continues to be amazing regardless.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 944 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 38  Next