| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:57 am 
Inflexitarian

I went from being completely disgusted by the big "mother" bacteria in kombucha to falling head over heels in love with it. Now Whole Food's has Kombucha on tap and I find myself drinking at least 3 cups of it a day! This is getting to be a very expensive habit - is anyone else in love with Kombucha the way I am?

Post subject: Re: Addicted to Kombucha
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:09 am 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

I go in and out of phases. You should buy a kit so that your costs decrease and you can have your own homemade kombucha! I asked for a starter kit last year for Christmas but the first try made the mother scoby all moldy. I think it was just a fluke, though. Kombucha is great!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:10 am 
Semen Strong

Its so good! I have water kefir, which is similar but cheaper, and I love that as well.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:26 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I love it too, but never buy it because of the price. I actually have a mother in my fridge and need to make some asap.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:42 am 
Slip it into my oatmeal

I have never had Kombucha.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:23 am 
Chard Martyr

On tap?! For reals?
I buy by the case when I buy to get that small 10% discount. However, like pranaferox, I go through phases, thank goodness, because it's so expensive. Despite GT's claims that they didn't change the recipe, it does taste a little different. But, it's still awesome.

My first experience with it was the Multi Green and I about died... but then found myself going back for more, to try different ones... and now, it's just love.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:40 am 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I got a baby scoby from a lady a few years ago and made my own for a long time. When I moved I tossed out the scoby and haven't had any since. I didn't know they had kits...that's cool. I doubt I'd bother making my own again, though. I got bored with it, although every now and then I'll buy a bottle of kombucha at Whole Foods.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:31 am 
Shopped till she dropped

I would drink it every day before the recall. I missed it so much. But when it came back I was in the midst of a bit of a monetary crisis, and couldn't afford it. I haven't had any in a while. But! Hopefully I'm going back to work soon and will restart my addiction.

Meggs! I know we took it off the tap at my store (Lincoln Park) when they recalled it, but I don't know if we brought it back or not. I'll be in today or tomorrow, and I'll ask around.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:34 am 
Has gasoline in her veins

I've got kombucha flowing through my veins. (Not gasoline.)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:35 am 
Chard Martyr

Make your own!

Seriously. It's fun and a million times cheaper.

But yes, I do love me some 'bucha.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:39 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Addicted!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:40 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I was drinking two bottles a day at one time, but now I only get it once in a while. I really do need to figure out how to make my own. I think the secret ingredient is organic crack.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:40 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Meggs wrote:
Despite GT's claims that they didn't change the recipe, it does taste a little different. But, it's still awesome.

From what the cashier at my WF told me, it tastes different because they aren't letting it ferment as long as they were before the recall. But the actual recipe hasn't been changed.

The Gingerade and Guava ones are my favorites.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:49 am 
Chard Martyr

kara kara wrote:
Meggs! I know we took it off the tap at my store (Lincoln Park) when they recalled it, but I don't know if we brought it back or not. I'll be in today or tomorrow, and I'll ask around.

I'm just still baffled that 'bucha can be "on tap." Rad.
gaia13 wrote:
From what the cashier at my WF told me, it tastes different because they aren't letting it ferment as long as they were before the recall. But the actual recipe hasn't been changed.

I totally believe that. If you notice, the drink by dates on the bottles are significantly shorter. They used to be months and months and now they're maybe two months max (approximation to get my point across). It's still numalicious. I just tried guava for the first time this morning and love it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:31 pm 
WELFARIST!

I love, love, love kombucha! It really is expensive though, I'm hoping to start making my own in the near future but am a little nervous about doing so. I always think I'm going to fork it up somehow and make myself sick.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:41 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I have to admit, I have never had it.
I'm not even sure what it is.

(hanging my head in shame)

(not really)

...but really, tell me more. What is this magic elixir of the gods?

Writing!
"personal journey" blog

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:03 pm 
Inflexitarian

Mr. Shankly wrote:
I love, love, love kombucha! It really is expensive though, I'm hoping to start making my own in the near future but am a little nervous about doing so. I always think I'm going to fork it up somehow and make myself sick.

This is why I haven't and won't be making my own kombucha at home. I know it would be so much cheaper but the fear that something will go wrong and I'll end up making a deadly strain of bacteria. Thank goodness the kombucha on tap at Whole Foods is a lot cheaper than GTs.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:19 pm 
Chard Martyr

GuineaPig wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

This is why I haven't and won't be making my own kombucha at home. I know it would be so much cheaper but the fear that something will go wrong and I'll end up making a deadly strain of bacteria. Thank goodness the kombucha on tap at Whole Foods is a lot cheaper than GTs.

So like, what's this WF Kombucha like? Is is GT's, just on tap? DO TELL.
Is it worth driving an hour away to the WF that kara kara works at to fill up on it in gallon jugs (how does one purchase Kombucha on tap?) compared to buying per case of GT's? Are there different ones you can buy, flavor-wise, or just "original?"

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:08 pm 
Inflexitarian

Meggs wrote:
GuineaPig wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

So like, what's this WF Kombucha like? Is is GT's, just on tap? DO TELL.
Is it worth driving an hour away to the WF that kara kara works at to fill up on it in gallon jugs (how does one purchase Kombucha on tap?) compared to buying per case of GT's? Are there different ones you can buy, flavor-wise, or just "original?"

It's pretty tasty. They have all different flavors including original and even have a "flavor of the day" of course I believe this depends on your whole foods. It's good but definitely not worth driving an hour away for it.

As far as how your purchase it they bottle it for you right there in actual glass bottle pressurized to keep all the good fizz in it. You can also bring back the bottles and jugs for refills. It's about $1 cheaper than GT kombucha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:20 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

kombucha

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:37 pm 
Saggy Butt

gaia13 wrote:

Gingerade was my #1 booch. BUT, the last three bottles I've had have had zero fizziness, has anyone else had that problem?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:02 pm 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

gato wrote:
gaia13 wrote:

Gingerade was my #1 booch. BUT, the last three bottles I've had have had zero fizziness, has anyone else had that problem?

Yeah, I had the same problem. I opened it, and when I was drinking it, it just reminded me of flat soda. I may try a gingerade one again tomorrow, and hopefully this time it's fizzy.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:05 pm 
Semen Strong

I love the Greens one. Mango and Gingerade are good too though. I've never had one that wasn't

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:57 pm 
Hip Goiter

I love it! I would drink it all day every day but I can't afford it, and I'm not ready emotionally to grow my own jellyfish.

Very excited to check out area Whole Foods to check out this on tap business. Oh man I would love it if bars had kombucha on tap! I would actually go to them!

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:05 pm 
Chard Martyr

Tofulish wrote:
I love the Greens one. Mango and Gingerade are good too though. I've never had one that wasn't

You are amazing to me for being able to handle the Greens one. That was my first one and I can't believe I went back for more... maybe I can do it again now that I can handle the 'buch.
RandiJM wrote:
I love it! I would drink it all day every day but I can't afford it, and I'm not ready emotionally to grow my own jellyfish.

I love Semiautomatic's take on the whole probiotic thing. Jellyfish! It makes drinking it so much more interesting!

I think part of the lack of fizziness is the "new recipe."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 218 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next