| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Universal/Disney/Orlando
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:47 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Okay, so I've become a semi pro at Disney since I've eaten vegan there on our yearly trip for the past three years, but this year we are also going to Universal/staying in that area for a few days. Any recommendations for Universal or that general area? I'm a bit nervous since I can navigate Disney no problem but Universal? I've got to deal with my family and bf and don't want to drag them down. Maybe going out to eat once or twice could be a possibility depending on the type of food as we will have a car...

Post subject: Re: Universal/Disney/Orlando
PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:23 am 

*Bump*

No advice on Universal? We start Disney today and will be in that area for a while, but we move to Universal in a week. I'm nervous as there is a lot less information on the interwebs as to how to navigate it as a vegan. I hope it doesn't mean that it is less vegan friendly than WDW...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:45 am 
Seagull of the PPK

i went two years ago and basically just drank beer for four days, except for the one blessed day when i went to (sigh) Walmart and found that fancy vegan dark chocolate peanut butter, and then ate that. then came home and someone on the old boards who told me that there were a dozen restaurants, and carts and everything, none of which i took advantage of.

ask these folks, maybe... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=2425&start=0

and these... jessy and vantine seem to know their stuff. http://www.forum.theppk.com/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=493

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:09 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Disney makes much better food than Universal, vegan or not. Disney will also go out of it's way to make you happy if you make reservations at their sit-down places in advance and tell them you are a vegan. Universal doesn't seem to care. The Harry Potter part was so crazy packed with people that we almost lost our minds. I would eat well before you enter the park and try to leave for lunch. Going out to City Walk and then re-entering the park of your choice will increase your options but those restaurants are sit down/more expensive. (That's where the theme-y, celebrity places are. Because they are sit-down, you have a better chance of getting pasta/no cheese etc.)
You will be finding salads and french fries for the most part. I think when we were there, that's all Bergedy and I ate when we were there a couple of months ago. (Plus a ton of pickles from the condiment bar...) I've never eaten well there. It's mostly junky, quicky eats.
I will try to remember if there's a place inside Universal with good food but I can't think of anything.
:) Sorry!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 12:22 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I think there is a Sweet Tomatoes near Universal...

6877 S. Kirkman Road
Orlando, FL 32819
407-363-1616

Its a Salad, Soup, Bread & Pasta restaurant that's the bomb! Its a bit pricey - but tons of quality veggie options. We found 2-for-1 coupons online which made it a pretty good deal.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:21 pm 

at Citywalk there's a Moe's, a sushi place that's not too expensive, and a Starbucks. I can't vouch for any of the pricier restaurants but I work at Hard Rock and they have really good veggie fajitas and the veggie burger isn't too bad, but the bun isn't vegan. in the parks there's not too many options, but I've asked the Harry Potter world bartenders several times and they all say the butterbeer is vegan, so definitely try that since it's amazing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:07 pm 

Thanks for the Universal update! Sad that the options are slim since Disney is so good about things. Tonight a chef at Rainforest Cafe came out to chat with me for a few minutes to make sure I would get a good meal too! (And this was at a very busy dining time.)

We'll be stopping at Whole Foods before going to Universal (I think), so I'll make sure that I have things to make simple sandwiches or something (even if it only ends up being hummus and cucumber, which is better than nothing).

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:46 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Orlando is very vegan friendly if you can wander towards Orlando and away from Disney/Universal. There are threads about that here.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:17 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hi there,
I go to Disney a lot and we usually do 3 days in Universal. This past summer was my first time doing Universal as a vegan. What I did, just to make it easy was to eat at Mo's in Citywalk. They have lots of things that are vegan. You can do taco's, burritos or bowls. They even have tofu that is very tasty. I loaded up with black beans, salsa and guacamole. So yummy. I would eat this for lunch and then we would eat dinner back at the hotel or outside of Universal. One night I went back to Disney and ate at the Animal Kingdom Lodge at Jiko. They have a seperate vegan menu. It was so good and the watermelon sorbet was to die for. The menu changes around seasonably, and the sorbet's change all the time. I highly recommend Jiko - drooling!

If you have any other questions just let me know. We go all the time, and if I don't know the answer I can probably find it out.
Melanie

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:07 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

The vegan disney thread on the old forum was AWESOME. We're going in August (OMG FL in August! KILL ME NOW.) I need all the info you got.

The husband originally wanted to stay at the Contemporary resort but then decided he likes this off site place that has kitchens because he's convinced I'll starve.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:11 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:
The vegan disney thread on the old forum was AWESOME. We're going in August (OMG FL in August! KILL ME NOW.) I need all the info you got.

The husband originally wanted to stay at the Contemporary resort but then decided he likes this off site place that has kitchens because he's convinced I'll starve.

August! You'll die.

Stay on property! You'll have so much better of a time. Tons to eat in Disney and their resorts!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:12 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

appifanie wrote:

Contact Disney before you go. They will go out of their way to help you. You can Google Vegan Disney world and find tons of information. Any of the sit down restaurants will make vegan food for you if you contact them in advance. You can also have a vegan character breakfast if you make arrangements in advance. Disney tries to be accommodating.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:32 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Disney is really great about accomodating you. I only had a problem this past year at Animal Kingdom Lodge's counter service location and Boma, although it wasn't really a problem, just that they weren't as nice as I encountered on the rest of the resort. We even had the counter service dining plan for part of our trip and they were so accomodating. I had a few of the chef's at the counter service places cook me something special. I had the greatest tofu stir fry at the Noodle station in Magic Kingdom. Also, the chef's at my hotel (the Pop Century Resort) went out of their way. I even had the most magnificent mickey shaped waffles that were out of this world. They cook them on a special gluten free waffle iron in the back and the batter is vegan. I even got maple syrup while the normal stuff they give is the yucky processed stuff.

check the disboards (www.disboards.com), there are tons of threads on there about eating vegan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:38 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I heard a rumor that the butterbeer at the Harry Potter park in universal is vegan. can anyone confirm/deny? I am probably going to be there in a couple days!!

also, It's super easy to eat vegan in Disney, they go out of their way to make you happy.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:07 am 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I've read a lot of weird, conflicting things about the butterbeer. Like on one messageboard they said a rep contacted them and was just super vague about the answer - like it was listed as a non-dairy drink but according to FDA guidelines blah blah blah and they couldn't give out the ingredients, which kind of just made me roll my eyes. I'm not getting anything I'm not allowed to know the ingredients of, that's crazy. I don't need a detailed recipe, but let me know what I'm consuming.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:14 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

I called Universal directly as well as e-mailed them and got a call from customer service. Both would not give the recipe due to proprietary secrets, but I was told that it was NOT vegan. It was the froth on top, but they will not serve without the froth (and I even tried to get them to in person and they wouldn't).

BUT.......the pumpkin juice is vegan and it's so good. I let my family have at the butterbeer and I had many a glass of pumpkin juice while I was there. I still dream of pumpkin juice. Yummy!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:16 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Fee wrote:
I've read a lot of weird, conflicting things about the butterbeer. Like on one messageboard they said a rep contacted them and was just super vague about the answer - like it was listed as a non-dairy drink but according to FDA guidelines blah blah blah and they couldn't give out the ingredients, which kind of just made me roll my eyes. I'm not getting anything I'm not allowed to know the ingredients of, that's crazy. I don't need a detailed recipe, but let me know what I'm consuming.

Haha - I think that was me :)

I agree, I was like WHAT? You can't tell me what's in it. that is the difference between Universal and Disney. Disney pulls out a book and is really helpful and Universal no one knows and then no one can tell you because it's a secret.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

ooo, thanks for the info. Pumpkin juice sounds delicious though so I am not so sad.

yeah, I don't even have to tell people in disney that I have life-threatening allergies to get them to whip out the ingredient book.

I have a blog: http://upthefolks.tumblr.com/
art: http://upthefolksstudio.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:59 pm 

Just finished the Disney stint of things. Eating went fine since I knew what I was doing. Sadly, the noodle station is no longer there at Magic Kingdom. I had to make do with an overly salty pasta with veggies thing. Other good meals were at Kouzzina where I got this roasted veggie orzo pilaf without the cheese and The Brown Derby at MGM. They had a coconut tofu curry dish that was more tomato-ish than curry, but it was still really good. A quick grab for lunch that was tasty was sushi at The Land grab and go whatnot. Also, Main Street Ice Cream has tofutti, so an awesome root beer float was had!

Disney was great. Not sure what I'm going to do about Universal, but the family and boyfriend have agreed to go to Ethos one night for dinner!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:22 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

simplybecause81 wrote:
Just finished the Disney stint of things. Eating went fine since I knew what I was doing. Sadly, the noodle station is no longer there at Magic Kingdom. I had to make do with an overly salty pasta with veggies thing. Other good meals were at Kouzzina where I got this roasted veggie orzo pilaf without the cheese and The Brown Derby at MGM. They had a coconut tofu curry dish that was more tomato-ish than curry, but it was still really good. A quick grab for lunch that was tasty was sushi at The Land grab and go whatnot. Also, Main Street Ice Cream has tofutti, so an awesome root beer float was had!

Disney was great. Not sure what I'm going to do about Universal, but the family and boyfriend have agreed to go to Ethos one night for dinner!

Ethos is awesome.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 3:41 pm 
WRETCHED

So I found out I'm going to Orlando in a few weeks. Sadly, most of my meals will be with other people although at least one should be by myself. If you had one place to eat, where would it be? Ethos? I am intrigued by Loving Hut.

Although I doubt I'd have any say but I'd appreciate vegan friendly options for someone who doesn't care for ethnic food? I'm hoping I can have some sway with the omnis but things like thai/indian get shot down pretty quickly. Even though it is my most favorite restaurant ever, I think it'd take a lot of begging/pleading to go to Sweet Tomatoes.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:44 pm 
Tortilla Rita's character account

I just got back from Florida and hit Magic Kingdom and Islands of Adventure. I wish I had read this thread! We made do but ate veggie burgers and fries for a lot of our theme park time.

The Pumpkin Juice at Harry Potter World is yummy, but expensive.

Non food-related, I just have to say, Disney really has its shiitake together. Magic Kingdom was a wonderful experience. Islands of Adventure was a crappy park, save for HP, and the employees seemed apathetic at best. There was no organization either.

Someone mentioned Loving Hut - we hit the one in Tampa on Fletcher Ave after driving back from Universal last week. Loved the food - the place was empty. We asked the owner if she plans on marketing towards the college kids in town. She didn't seem very sure. I hope business picks up when class is back in session.

blog | vegan blog | twitter

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:50 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

Kelly wrote:
appifanie wrote:

August! You'll die.

Stay on property! You'll have so much better of a time. Tons to eat in Disney and their resorts!

I know! Geez - he must be trying to kill me. And I'm in charge of booking I think so I'll just disregard him :D The other place looked DULL!! I saw pics for one place that had little Mickey's in the carpet and everywhere and even that would thrill Livi. Fun place!! My dad and I used to stay at the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress - http://www.grandcypress.hyatt.com/hyatt ... /index.jsp - it's cool, but not 5 year old fun.

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:42 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

linanil wrote:
So I found out I'm going to Orlando in a few weeks. Sadly, most of my meals will be with other people although at least one should be by myself. If you had one place to eat, where would it be? Ethos? I am intrigued by Loving Hut.

Although I doubt I'd have any say but I'd appreciate vegan friendly options for someone who doesn't care for ethnic food? I'm hoping I can have some sway with the omnis but things like thai/indian get shot down pretty quickly. Even though it is my most favorite restaurant ever, I think it'd take a lot of begging/pleading to go to Sweet Tomatoes.

Personally, I would choose Ethos over Loving Hut. Hell, I would go to Drunken Monkey which is not even 100% vegan before I would go to Loving Hut. I ate in the Orlando Loving Hut once. (It's near Drunken Monkey.) The word to describe the experience is meh.
To Ethos!
When will you be in FL?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 am 
WRETCHED

Vantine wrote:
linanil wrote:

Personally, I would choose Ethos over Loving Hut. Hell, I would go to Drunken Monkey which is not even 100% vegan before I would go to Loving Hut. I ate in the Orlando Loving Hut once. (It's near Drunken Monkey.) The word to describe the experience is meh.
To Ethos!
When will you be in FL?

It is still being flushed out, looks like January 30th to Feb 2. I sent mr nil to loving hut when he was in Orlando, he said he liked it.