| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:40 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Snoring
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:12 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I want to know how people deal with SO's snoring...(or how they deal with your snoring.) I am a super light sleeper, who under perfect circumstances when exhausted, still has trouble falling asleep. I love snuggling, spoooning, etc during the night, but the new guy I'm dating is a major snorer & I end up going out on the couch because it's the only way I can sleep.

So tell me....how do you deal??

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

Post subject: Re: Snoring
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:21 pm 
And you never will.

Earplugs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:45 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

before i answer, let me just state that we are completely equal-opportunity, that is to say Mr Torque does it to me if i snore and i do it to him... although i'm the light sleeper so it's usually my problem, not his.

a well placed elbow or knee works just fine for both of us.

i did hear of someone who sewed tennis balls into SO's pajamas so they couldn't sleep on their back, so snoring was pretty much minimized.
do those weird nose strip things actually do anything?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:47 pm 
Inflexitarian

Sleep in another room. Only thing that worked for me.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:35 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

I punched him the back in my sleep and I'll never live it down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:36 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

earplugs. an occasional shaking so that he can change positions. He uses those nose strips and although they don't stop the snoring completly, it does help. Also, we use a humidifier in the room.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:37 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

Location: In some dumb hotel in an equally dumb town...or in San Diego
Fee wrote:
I punched him in the back in my sleep and I'll never live it down.

first night sleeping together no less

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:35 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

Earplugs for me, though sometimes my husband snores enough to vibrate the bed, so occasionally they're useless.

Lots of shoving too. If all else fails I go to the other room where the cat keeps me awake

Will definitely have to watch this thread for other ideas.

"I can't help but feel bad for the Tofurky for having a beer can shoved up it's soy hole." --nickvicious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:49 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

Earplugs for me too. Sometimes I'll listen to something on my ipod instead. Concentrating on a talk program like This American Life distracts me from the snoring when earplugs don't do it for me.

I also shove him a lot and make him roll over on his side.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:07 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Earplugs wouldn't work for me...no earplugs will block this sound out strongly enough. And I can't have any noise when sleeping, so a tv on won't work (though he always likes to sleep with tv on, which I had to tell them there is no way I would every fall asleep that way..)

I tried pushing, rolling him over, etc...but it only helps for a few minutes, and I'm still awake, them trying to nudge him again. It keeps me up, and keeps waking him up (and as a new rlshp, I certainly dont' wanna annoy him...hence why I just relocate to the couch..)

He has a deviated septum & said he's been meaning to have the surgery to fix it for a while, but keeps putting it off & doesn't want to take the time off work. We've been dating for a month or so, so it's still early & i'm still trying to figure out how "into him" I am....so I guess only time will tell. I'm not too worried now, just cuz it's early on. But if things did work out long-term...I'm pushing for the surgery!

Till then, the couch it is....I even tried Xanax last night to help knock me out more, and it still didn't work.

"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:16 pm 
Flat Chesty McNoBoobs

I used to not be able to fall asleep to any noise at all either. I can now fall asleep to tv, movies, or podcasts. I can't deal with snoring, even if it's not very loud at all. I'd give it a few more tries with the tv or similar. You might be surprised!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:50 pm 
Inflexitarian

WhiskersGal wrote:
He has a deviated septum & said he's been meaning to have the surgery to fix it for a while, but keeps putting it off & doesn't want to take the time off work. We've been dating for a month or so, so it's still early & i'm still trying to figure out how "into him" I am....so I guess only time will tell. I'm not too worried now, just cuz it's early on. But if things did work out long-term...I'm pushing for the surgery!

Have him go to a sleep center before trying surgery. There are dental devices that can help if he has sleep apnea. I edited a video for a dentist on the topic, so I don't want to sound like a commercial, but surgery is a bit drastic and it might not work.

I use ear plugs myself, and though they don't block out all the sounds that I have to deal with, they put me a in headspace where I can drift off more easily. The key for me is well fitting earplugs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:14 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Boyfriend only snores when he's sick. I usually just push him really hard to roll him over, he doesn't notice but it stops the snoring for a while.

My dad snores louder than anyone I've ever heard, though. Growing up we had a two-storey house and we used to sleep at opposite ends, on different floors and I could still hear it like he was next to me. My mum had tried everything, she even bought him these rock hard 'anti-snoring' pillows (I think they were more just punishment for the snoring, though)- but then she got those nose strips, and they totally work. He's been using them for at least the last ten years, and now he only snores when he's drunk. Those things probably saved their marriage.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:31 am 
Impressive boner

Pete used to snore terribly due to having an enlarged tonsil. Last year his tonsils were removed and he stopped snoring, but then this May he had some epileptic fits and since then his snoring has been as bad (if not worse) than with his giant tonsil.

He's seen the ENT clinic who said that the back of his tongue and his voicebox flop backwards into his throat while he sleeps and this is causing the snoring. He's having a bespoke mouthguard made that will force his lower jaw forwards in order to stop it.

We've been sleeping in separate rooms since June because its so bad (I'm a light sleeper too) so I hope that he gets the guard soon and it actually works.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:27 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

I am a really bad snorer. I never sleep on my back so me changing positions doesn't help. I even sometime peas the dog off and she sleeps on the floor! The nose strips worked for me but they fell off every night. The throat strips (like the listerine strips) worked too but only for a few hours.