| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The back of my jaw hurts like whoa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:27 pm 
Remembers When Veganism Was Cool

The left side of my jaw, way in the back of my mouth, hurts like a nasty son of a bisque.

I never had my wisdom teeth removed (I knew they were impacted the last time I went to the dentist, which was in, um, '07, but I was still on my parent's insurance at the time, and my mother was like, "you can pay for it yourself after you get a job." Only my job pays shiitake, my insurance is expensive and taking time off for that sorta thing is way harder when you're working than when you're in school).

The back of my jaw hurts occasionally, but it usually doesn't ache, y'know? This is distractingly painful and has been so for a week. Because I'm paranoid, I'm now worried that this isn't just a wisdom tooth thing, but a terrible abscess that will poison my blood and kill me. I don't think it can be a cavity, because the part that hurts is behind my back molar, and I'm pretty sure gums don't get those.

I know everyone will tell me to go to a dentist, but I'd really prefer to drink some magic herbal tea that makes it go away.

/whining

Post subject: Re: The back of my jaw hurts like whoa
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:46 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

if it's behind your back molar, chances are it is a wisdom tooth. if there's a gap between your molar and that tooth you could have crud getting down there and causing a cavity, which would suck. and if it's not that, the roots can be growing towards your joint, causing aching in all sorts of odd places.
i delayed my wisdom tooth extraction for more than ten years and used to get amazing pain every year or so like clockwork. Luckily I had a friend who was a dentist and was liberal with the prescription pad. he gave me a scrip for antibiotics whenever the tooth pain came just in case there was an abscess, so i wouldn't die. Eventually I got them out when i could afford it.
You might want to go to the dentist, take the hit and pay for a consult, and ask if you can get the damn thing checked out on the cheap and have some scrips til you can afford to get the teeth extracted. just to be safe.

feel better, teeth suck. i sure don't miss my wisdoms, if i had known how much their removal would improve my quality of life i would have done it sooner.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:29 pm 

The teeth are fully impacted, so the wisdom teeth are completely below the gum line.

I'm kinda hoping that, if it were a abscess, there would be other signs like puss/bad taste/visible sore/swelling, etc.

I can probably afford the consult (and god knows I probably have 70 billion cavities by now and could use cleaning/filling), but the extraction would probably wipe me out. I tend to avoid all things medical because it takes me forever to pay things off.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:34 pm 
Chard Martyr

KarynMC wrote:
and my mother was like, "you can pay for it yourself after you get a job."

I only come offering support. That was a mean mommy statement... or I'm just really lucky that I was able to get mine out while on my parent's insurance? You may continue to whine because pain sucks, especially mouth pain. I wish I could offer you the magical herbal tea to make everything better that you so desire.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:38 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

Alternate with your han---oh. Uh.

I actually have no advice. Just warm thoughts for you to feel better. Mouth pain is horrible.

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:03 pm 
Semen Strong

j-dub wrote:
Alternate with your han---oh. Uh..

Best thing since the Wincest thread.

j-dub wrote:
I actually have no advice. Just warm thoughts for you to feel better. Mouth pain is horrible.

+1. I'm so sorry you're in pain. It sounds like going to the dentist to just get more information is a good way to go. You can also negotiate with them - my partner just got $500 taken off his root canal.

But on a cold winter night, when the wind whispers through the trees and a bright, white moon hangs heavy in the air, you might hear a sad cry like someone thinking he knows what's best for you, and that'll be the white man a-passin' you by. just mumbles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 11:23 am 

Whining is like the best placebo ever, because it feels better this morning.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:57 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

Whine Tasting!!!! Whine Bar! Whine-o-rama!