| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: The "fitness minus gyms and equipment" thread
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:13 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Calisthenics all day everyday. Train like a Cro-Mag.

"POSI JUMP HURTS MY TITS" - Isa.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

Great thread!

Some stuff I like:
-Buying used DVD's for super cheap on Amazon. I like Carmen Electra's Aerobic Striptease and Tae Bo.
-Doing workouts found on About.com. Just go to the website and search something like "kickboxing" or whatever you're looking for.
-Some have already been mentioned but many magazines post different workouts for free on their websites and some even have tracking capabilities.
-You can find some workouts on YouTube.
-Doing simple Yahoo and Google searches should also help you find some things.
-You can also set up workout DVD swaps with friends and just simply trade and/or borrow from people.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 4:56 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I've been trying to do lunges all the time lately since I realized that when I stopped biking every day, my knees started hurting again.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:21 pm 
WELFARIST!

My knees hurt when I try to do lunges and squats.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:17 am 
Chip Strong

I think I'm going to quit my gym and just do kettlebell workouts at home. I feel them more the next day than anything I've ever done at a gym (crappy machines and cardio stuff mostly) and they also get my heart rate up more. I got a Lauren Brooks DVD for my birthday and I really like it, it's pretty no frills but the workouts are good, and it's the first exercise DVD I've used where I didn't feel too awkward to keep going.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:14 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I have an idea and I'm wondering if other no-equipment folks would be down for it. I've always wanted to do something like p90x or crossfit, but I can't afford it and can't buy anything. We have a fitness ball at home, but that's it.

I'm trying to get a bunch of workouts on deck so that each day I can flip to one and just do it rather than googling for new ideas (while sitting on my asparagus) or doing the same routine over and over. I like the concept of muscle confusion that p90x pushes with it's different workouts and want to do the same. I'd like to make my own workout card deck so I can have 10 or 20 possible workouts to pick from.

Who's down? We could post our ideas here and build up a good list.

Post subject: Workout DVDs?
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 5:14 am 
Tofu Pup

Hello

I was wondering what workout DVDs folks are using? I've been doing Pilates Weight Loss for Dummies, but after doing it 3-4 times a week I am totally sick of it! Does anyone have any recommendations? I guess I am after something a bit more cardio-based...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:56 pm 
WELFARIST!

pickledtreats wrote:
I have an idea and I'm wondering if other no-equipment folks would be down for it. I've always wanted to do something like p90x or crossfit, but I can't afford it and can't buy anything. We have a fitness ball at home, but that's it.

I'm trying to get a bunch of workouts on deck so that each day I can flip to one and just do it rather than googling for new ideas (while sitting on my asparagus) or doing the same routine over and over. I like the concept of muscle confusion that p90x pushes with it's different workouts and want to do the same. I'd like to make my own workout card deck so I can have 10 or 20 possible workouts to pick from.

I do something like this. I cut workouts out of magazines and pick and choose and rotate different exercises. I like to start with stretches, then some moderate exercises and build up and then end with stretching again. I'd be up for helping out.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:19 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I'll make a Google Doc where we can post workouts. That means absolutely no equipment workouts other than a wall or a chair! I see a lot of "no equipment" workouts that include pull-ups and things and I can't seem to find a playground around here with monkey bars.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:05 pm 
WELFARIST!

pickledtreats wrote:
I'll make a Google Doc where we can post workouts. That means absolutely no equipment workouts other than a wall or a chair! I see a lot of "no equipment" workouts that include pull-ups and things and I can't seem to find a playground around here with monkey bars.

Sounds good to me! I'll break out my collection of exercises.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 2:29 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

If you type 'shape magazine' into google their website has some really good stuff on it, and I they definitely have some equipment free ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Here's the google spreadsheet! I haven't put any column names or anything like that in because I wasn't sure how we should organize it.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key ... y=CIHLgJsL

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:12 pm 
WELFARIST!

Maybe we should have each column dedicated to a part of the body? Like "Upper Arms", "Core", "Bum", "Thighs" etc...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:36 pm 
Bought A BRAND NEW CAR!

pickledtreats wrote:

There are free workouts online @ www.exercisetv.tv
Some don't use any equipment, look around!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:54 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mr. Shankly wrote:
Maybe we should have each column dedicated to a part of the body? Like "Upper Arms", "Core", "Bum", "Thighs" etc...

Good idea! I'll do that this week. That way you can just pick one or more from each column to create a workout.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:26 am 
Asked Santa for a Hoveringdog

Here are two of my favorite equipment-free workouts. I'll have to look and see if I've still got the others that I used to do saved on this computer.

Workout 1 : http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/ ... ed-workout

Workout 2 : http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/ ... workouts-0

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:47 pm 
WELFARIST!

pickledtreats wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Good idea! I'll do that this week. That way you can just pick one or more from each column to create a workout.

Let me know when you do! I've never used a Google document before, am I able to add things to the document?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:58 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mr. Shankly wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:
Mr. Shankly wrote:

Let me know when you do! I've never used a Google document before, am I able to add things to the document?

I added the columns, but I'm not sure they're all there or if some need to be combined. ALso, I'm assuming some moves are compound and work more than one muscle, but my goal with the document is to be able to pic at least once from each column, like a checker board, and make my own workout each day. And I have it set so anyone can edit if they know the link. It works just like excel.

Also, it might be good to include links to video demos of moves. Sometimes I don't know what to do when I see a certain exercise listed.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:36 am 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

pickledtreats wrote:
I added the columns, but I'm not sure they're all there or if some need to be combined. ALso, I'm assuming some moves are compound and work more than one muscle, but my goal with the document is to be able to pic at least once from each column, like a checker board, and make my own workout each day. And I have it set so anyone can edit if they know the link. It works just like excel.

Also, it might be good to include links to video demos of moves. Sometimes I don't know what to do when I see a certain exercise listed.

When I've done lists like this, I used the first column for listing everything (in this case, exercises) and then the other columns for subcategories (arms, legs, and so on). You can place x's in the subcategories, and then anyone with editing privileges can organize by muscle group.

Thanks for doing this, by the way!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:29 am 
WELFARIST!

pickledtreats wrote:

Thanks! How do you like what I've done so far? I added a column for stretches because stretching is really important and I have a bunch of stretches that I can put on the doc. I'll be adding a lot more to it in the next few days. I was wondering if we should/want to add a column for yoga moves?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:02 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Mr. Shankly wrote:
pickledtreats wrote:

Thanks! How do you like what I've done so far? I added a column for stretches because stretching is really important and I have a bunch of stretches that I can put on the doc. I'll be adding a lot more to it in the next few days. I was wondering if we should/want to add a column for yoga moves?

Looks awesome! We could have a yoga column as well if people want to incorporate that. I'm going to go through and maybe add some links to video descriptions of certain exercises.

Molly - Thanks for that idea! At the moment I think we'll just add them in as they are, but might reorganize like that if we think this is too confusing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:40 pm 
WELFARIST!

I was thinking of adding links to videos, too. I wrote up some directions and added links to some directions online but they can sometimes be difficult to understand and I like video because you can view how to properly perform the exercise.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:38 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Thanks for adding all that, Mr. Shankly! I'm tackling it later today after I run some errands.

I just wanted to let you guys know that Nike has a fitness app in the iTunes app store and it's free through January. It looks pretty awesome. There's a write-up about it on Lifehacker: http://lifehacker.com/5716079/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:49 am 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Do you have an ipod? I hate going to the gym too so I do a lot of walking/hiking and then I also get the Yogamazing podcast on itunes (it's free) and there are a lot of nice workouts on it, most of them are around 30 minutes and sometimes I really get sore from them!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:34 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

i'm completely joining you guys! i need to start something and although resolutions are not my cuppa, i think i need one this year- i am going to start working out at least 2 hours every week- i plan to do more, but this will give me leeway for all the stuff life throws, and you guys and pickledtreats' awesome google doc is going to be by helper. i am going to start looking for additional ideas too.