| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:58 pm 
Saggy Butt

The green tea walnut biscotti are sooo good. I picked up some matcha powder the other day and had to try them. It's worth getting matcha just for these seriously :)

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:34 pm 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

greenknittinggal wrote:
The green tea walnut biscotti are sooo good. I picked up some matcha powder the other day and had to try them. It's worth getting matcha just for these seriously :)

Thanks for the recommendation. I was intrigued by these and thinking of making them. I have made the Tahini Lime cookies and they are also very different and exotic.

Post subject: help wanted! NYC black and white cookies!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:28 pm 
Tofu Pup

i love all the recipes i've made from the book so far! i wanted some feedback on how to alter the nyc black and white cookies to resemble an iced bakery sugar cookie. the flavor is almost exactly what i've been looking for (i'll probably just add a little more baking soda), but i want to experiment with making them a little less cakey. baking chemistry is not my strong suit, so i'd be so grateful for any suggestions!

thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:56 pm 
Nailed to the V

I want to make the chocolate chip cookies for Christmas. I just went to Whole Foods and they had "Tapioca" (Bob Mills), and they had "Tapioca Starch" that said to use in place of cornstarch. Are either of these ok to use in the cookie recipe?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:06 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Quote:
I want to make the chocolate chip cookies for Christmas. I just went to Whole Foods and they had "Tapioca" (Bob Mills), and they had "Tapioca Starch" that said to use in place of cornstarch. Are either of these ok to use in the cookie recipe?

Their (Bob's Mills)Tapioca Flour is Tapioca Starch...I think it even say's it on the label. Either way that is what I use in my Choco chips from this book and they rock. Just dont use the Tapioca small pearls.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:11 pm 
Nailed to the V

zeebo wrote:
Quote:

Their (Bob's Mills)Tapioca Flour is Tapioca Starch...I think it even say's it on the label. Either way that is what I use in my Choco chips from this book and they rock. Just dont use the Tapioca small pearls.

Thank you! They did have the Bob Mills pearlized tapioca and I just knew that wouldn't be good! :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:23 pm 
Nailed to the V

Unfortunately my Nook doesn't list all of the ingredients correctly (there is a ? instead) and I would like to make the peanut butter chocolate pillows for Christmas after reading about how many people love them!
Can someone please tell me how much cocoa powder and how much powdered sugar? Those are the only 2 missing.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:25 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

masuphl wrote:
zeebo wrote:
Quote:

Thank you! They did have the Bob Mills pearlized tapioca and I just knew that wouldn't be good! :)

Also, just a tip...When I first made these I used a cheaper canola I think it was Kirkland or something in a big container that I had on hand, and it made them kinda icky...I used Spectrum canola and they tasted waaay better on the second go. That is the only oil I use for cookies now. Maybe someone else knows a good oil that is as inexpensive as the others.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:28 pm 
Nailed to the V

Also, just a tip...When I first made these I used a cheaper canola I think it was Kirkland or something in a big container that I had on hand, and it made them kinda icky...I used Spectrum canola and they tasted waaay better on the second go. That is the only oil I use for cookies now. Maybe someone else knows a good oil that is as inexpensive as the others.[/quote]

That's a good tip - thanks! I think I have oil from WF. I work right by one (luckily) so I tend to get everything there.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:52 am 
Ninja Master

I made the cherry almond cookies as christmas gifts for workmates and they went down very well! They were really good, i'm deffo making them again soon.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

Post subject: Re: Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar - Minonos
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:11 am 

ismloveyoubobbybrown wrote:
dakini wrote:
lionandlamb wrote:
I made these vegan milanos tonight. They came out like jaw-breakers even though I purposely made each one as thin as I could. I'm sure they will be great for dunking in coffee or tea, but is there any way I can get them to be softer? I read somewhere maybe add some silken tofu?

Tell you the truth, I find that many of the vegan cookies come out a bit too crisp, again, still delicious but better to dunk.

Hmmm, could it be possible your oven temperature is off? Otherwise, maybe reducing the baking time?

Maybe the cookies were TOO thin? They'd probably cook through faster and be more likely to overbake. Generally, really thin cookies are pretty crispy.

I mentioned it in the brown sugar thread, but when my cookies seem dry and hard I put a piece of bread in the cookie container. They take moisture from the bread and soften up a little. It might help with the cookies you've already made.

Dakini -- interesting idea putting bread into the cookie jar. I'll try that. Also I really must check my oven temperature. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:42 pm 
ol' garly cooch

i love so many recipes in this book. our house favorite is the chocolate crinkles. this weekend i intend to make the pretzels--anyone tried these?

during mofo, i made a peanut butter twix bar using the shortbread recipe:

http://thatpainintheassvegan.blogspot.c ... ookie.html

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:45 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

lionandlamb wrote:
]I made these vegan milanos tonight. They came out like jaw-breakers even though I purposely made each one as thin as I could. I'm sure they will be great for dunking in coffee or tea, but is there any way I can get them to be softer? I read somewhere maybe add some silken tofu?

Tell you the truth, I find that many of the vegan cookies come out a bit too crisp, again, still delicious but better to dunk.

hm...yeah, the milanos shouldn't be too thin. have you had non vegan milanos? they are really crispy. not chewy or soft at all and the cookie part is not especially thin.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:46 pm 
Nailed to the V

Unfortunately my Nook doesn't list all of the ingredients correctly (there is a ? instead) and I would like to make the peanut butter chocolate pillows for Christmas after reading about how many people love them!
Can someone please tell me how much cocoa powder and how much powdered sugar? Those are the only 2 missing.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:57 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

masuphl wrote:

Thanks!

Recipe here: http://www.theppk.com/2009/03/peanut-butter-pillows/

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:12 pm 
Nailed to the V

joyfulgirl wrote:
masuphl wrote:

Thanks!

Recipe here: http://www.theppk.com/2009/03/peanut-butter-pillows/

Thanks a million!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:09 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
lionandlamb wrote:
]I made these vegan milanos tonight. They came out like jaw-breakers even though I purposely made each one as thin as I could. I'm sure they will be great for dunking in coffee or tea, but is there any way I can get them to be softer? I read somewhere maybe add some silken tofu?

hm...yeah, the milanos shouldn't be too thin. have you had non vegan milanos? they are really crispy. not chewy or soft at all and the cookie part is not especially thin.

I haven't had Milanos in such a long time, but I do remember thinking of them as on the thin side ... and you could eat them without fearing your teeth would break. I made mine thin so that the chocolate inside would dominate over the pastry part. Oh well, I'll get it right. Not for a while though ... foIund out I have an ulcer and can't eat chocoloate till it's healed. thanks for the feedback, every liltte bit helps.:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:09 pm 

ijustdiedinside wrote:
lionandlamb wrote:

I haven't had Milanos in such a long time, but I do remember thinking of them as on the thin side ... and you could eat them without fearing your teeth would break. I made mine thin so that the chocolate inside would dominate over the pastry part. Oh well, I'll get it right. Not for a while though ... foIund out I have an ulcer and can't eat chocoloate till it's healed. thanks for the feedback, every liltte bit helps.:)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:04 pm 
Hip Goiter

I made the chocolate pb pillows tonight for my family's Christmas eve party. It made 44 cookies!!! I guess I made them too small? hahah. I also COMPLETELY forgot the 1/4c maple syrup (just totally skipped that line) but they came out great. Or maybe it's been so long since I've had a cookie that I can't tell.

Laughfrodisiac

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:49 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

i made the cranberry walnut thumbprints today, see here. i'm not a huge fan of marmelade thumbprint cookies so i wasn't expecting too much, but they're awesome!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 4:33 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

Anyone made the spiced sweet potato blondies yet? I'm debating between dishes to take to an omni-group holiday dinner.
So far, I'm torn among the sweet potato blondies, some variation on cowboy cookies, fruit oaty bars (have to sub agave and molasses or something for the rice and malt syrups, though, bad idea?), and Swedish chocolate balls.
Opinions?
Hurry, folks, gotta make up my mind today!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:47 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Made the magic cookie bars. Just like the originals and OMG so good!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

So, the cowboy cookies went over great on christmas day as I expected. I loved the almond cookies, however, the people who are not as into almond flavor as me did not care for them. They said they were good cookies overall, but they were a little too almondy. So, unless your family is crazy for that flavor, leave out the almond extract. The almond paste is enough flavor by itself imo.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:36 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

I used to make fruitcake for Christmas but haven't in the past few years. I made the fruitcake bars instead this year and they are so good and so easy. I ate them for breakfast yesterday - fittingly, I thought.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:17 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

oooooooohh, I was doing really well ignoring the peanut butter blondies in my fridge until I stumbled upon this thread... and then I caved. twice.
My favs so far are the mexican chocolate cookies. mmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 540 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 22  Next