| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Phoenix PPKers
PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2010 4:06 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I figured I would start the Phoenix area thread. I know there's a few of use out there.

Post subject: Re: Phoenix PPKers
PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:31 am 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

Hi! I'm in Tucson for school but am from Mesa and may be in Phoenix for next semester. Heading up to Mesatown tomorrow, actually.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:39 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

Ahoy! Rather than ramble on about how great the Tsoynamis are at Green I'll ask this: anybody try out Nourish Cafe, yet? It's right by my work and I haven't managed to try it yet. It's hard to commit $10 to a veggie burger, ya know?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

nickvicious wrote:
Ahoy! Rather than ramble on about how great the Tsoynamis are at Green I'll ask this: anybody try out Nourish Cafe, yet? It's right by my work and I haven't managed to try it yet. It's hard to commit $10 to a veggie burger, ya know?

I haven't tried Nourish yet. I will have to check that out!

But there are two great new discoveries in the Ahwatukee area. Both places are vegetarian. They have lots of vegan options. I have to admit, I'm addicted to both and feel very torn when trying to decide.

The first one is Pomagranate Cafe on 40th Street and Chandler Blvd. It is a couple of doors down from Trader Joe's. The owner, Cassie, and her mom run the restaurant together. They focus on local and organic ingredients. They just hired my friend, the illustrious Rikki Cupcake of Seitanic Vegan Heathen as one of their bakers. I did a review of them on my blog if you want to check them out in more detail.

The other find is 24 Carrots on Chandler Blvd and Kyrene (this is actually considered Chandler). The owner, Sasha, is all about making food that is nutritious as well as delicious. Lots of organic and vegan options. They offer lots of juice and smoothie choices. They just recently expanded and update their menu. I am going to be doing a review on the new menu soon. Every time I go in it seems I forget my camera.

These places are both Indy and happy places to be. Please stop in and support both places.

Kim Cooks Veg 4U Blog (new blog)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:48 am 
Bathes in Braggs

Oink!! We need to do a meet up when you are home on break next time. This month is crazy for me.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:08 pm 

Veg-in-Training wrote:
Oink!! We need to do a meet up when you are home on break next time. This month is crazy for me.

Yes! I just had a white wedding cake tsoynami as an appetizer without you! Not the same. I'll be back in December!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 7:39 pm 
Tofu Pup

I don't live in Phoenix anymore but a friend told me that the Vegetarian House is no more? Or I guess that it is no longer an all vegan place. That's so weird to me. Anybody been there yet?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 4:11 pm 

dance and revolt wrote:
I don't live in Phoenix anymore but a friend told me that the Vegetarian House is no more? Or I guess that it is no longer an all vegan place. That's so weird to me. Anybody been there yet?

I believe that the Vegetarian House, a Supreme Master Ching Hai restaurant, was replaced with Loving Hut, a new Supreme Master Ching Hai restaurant. I've never been, but people seem to love Loving Hut, and it's totally vegan, whereas Veggie House had some dairy on the menu.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:40 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Thanks for sharing those places. Loving Hut, Green and Pita Jungle were the only restaurants I was aware of. I need try the other places because Green and Pita Jungle are the only ones I've tried since I'm in the east valley.

I saw an announcement from green about their Thanksliving dinner and craft event that I'll post.
Quote:
ATTENTION ANIMAL-FRIENDLY CRAFTERS! Looking for a GREAT way to spend your thanksLIVING day? Consider joining us at green new american vegetarian restaurant for our 3rd annual thanksLIVING celebration! Enjoy music, special guest Paul Shapiro of the Humane Society of the United States, an extraordinary dinner and the opportunity to show your work to other compassionate shoppers. All vendors who join us for the celebration will receive a 10% discount on their thanksLIVING dinner! If you are a crafter, who sells vegan, cruelty-free products (no silk, leather, wool, feathers, down, or other animal products/by-products) and you’re interested in being a part of an exciting and growing Arizona thanksLIVING tradition, please contact peaceanimal@cox.net for more information. Hope to see you there!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:59 pm 

Fallen wrote:
Thanks for sharing those places. Loving Hut, Green and Pita Jungle were the only restaurants I was aware of. I need try the other places because Green and Pita Jungle are the only ones I've tried since I'm in the east valley.

I saw an announcement from green about their Thanksliving dinner and craft event that I'll post.
Quote:
ATTENTION ANIMAL-FRIENDLY CRAFTERS! Looking for a GREAT way to spend your thanksLIVING day? Consider joining us at green new american vegetarian restaurant for our 3rd annual thanksLIVING celebration! Enjoy music, special guest Paul Shapiro of the Humane Society of the United States, an extraordinary dinner and the opportunity to show your work to other compassionate shoppers. All vendors who join us for the celebration will receive a 10% discount on their thanksLIVING dinner! If you are a crafter, who sells vegan, cruelty-free products (no silk, leather, wool, feathers, down, or other animal products/by-products) and you’re interested in being a part of an exciting and growing Arizona thanksLIVING tradition, please contact peaceanimal@cox.net for more information. Hope to see you there!

Check out http://www.vegguide.org! There are so many yummy eats in the area. You have to go to Udupi, which is right by Green. It's probably my favorite restaurant of all time. Go for the buffet on Saturday or Sunday if you're not very familiar with (South) Indian food.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:29 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

I heard about Pomegranate Cafe and 24 Carrots but haven't tried either yet...and I LIVE on Chandler Blvd! Maybe I'll hit up 24 Carrots this weekend. They do juice, right?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2010 11:30 am 
Bathes in Braggs

They do. Juice smoothies, lots of GF and vegan stuff. We should meet there sometime. I love nearby too.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:38 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

6 degrees of seperation - Rikki Cupcake always brings goodies to the art openings at the salon I work at, Vanity on Mill.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

autumncutme wrote:
6 degrees of seperation - Rikki Cupcake always brings goodies to the art openings at the salon I work at, Vanity on Mill.

I <3 Rikki! I haven't seen her in quite some time. We MUST do a meet up soon!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:17 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

Veg-in-Training wrote:
autumncutme wrote:

I <3 Rikki! I haven't seen her in quite some time. We MUST do a meet up soon!

Come to our next art opening. It's next Friday I think. 944 S. Mill Ave. Tempe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:02 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

I'm in L.A. now, but I was born and raised in Phoenix, and went vegetarian than vegan while still living there. Even before that, I was eating at Vegetarian House (both the location that burned down and the new one on Indian School). Anyone remember the "Water, please" lady? I'll have to check it out now that it's a Loving Hut, though every time I visit, it's Green for me.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm 
Not a creepy cheese pocket person

Hi, Phoenix folks. I'm going to be visiting my grandmother and grandfather soon in Scottsdale. What's to do in Scottsdale and the surrounding area? My grandparents are good walkers, though we're probably not up for any rigorous hikes. In previous visits, we went to the Desert Botanical Gardens and a baseball game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:59 pm 

Bump! Anyone? Also, any great vegan-friendly, but not vegan, restaurants?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Hi Mollyjade. I have been on very sporadically lately. This is such a great time for walking and flowers. If they are baseball fans there are lots of spring training games going on. I'm not sure what type of restaurants you are looking for, but even though Green Vegetarian is 100% vegan I have taken many omni friends there and they love it. Posh in Scottsdale is more upscale/tasting menu style place. They will do all vegan for you if you give them advance notice you are coming in. It is all improvisational cuisine. I did a review with pictures here.

In Ahwatukee (east valley) there are two places I really love, Pomegranate Cafe and 24 Carrots. They are mostly vegan, but do some eggs, mostly organic and local ingredients. I did reviews on my blog, but the pictures disappeared off of my flickr account.

Fresh Mint in Scottsdale is really yummy and the atmosphere is nice to. You can see some pictures and a review here.

I did the reviews a while ago, but both are still open. There are a few mexican places that have vegan friendly dishes (no lard in the beans). Hope that is helpful. When will you be here? Maybe we can organize a PPK meet up!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:32 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

You'll be coming at a nice time! The weather is great in Scottsdale today. You'll probably end up in Old Town at some point. In that case I highly recommend you head north of the mall to Nourish. Lots of vegan stuff.

Jimmy Woo's in Old Town has some vegan stuff, but they forgot to add tofu to my black tea noodle salad, so now I'm mad at them.

Definitely visit Green if you get a chance. The sammiches are the way to go. Not so much a fan of their bowls. Oh, and grab a Tsoynami!

24 Carrots is my favorite joint in town. The majority of their food is vegan, local and organic. Fairly priced and delicious every time. Closed Sundays (so is Green).

Right now, the hot things are:

-Spring Training (MLB)
-Body World is in town
-Renaissance Festival (seriously, my favorite annual event in Arizona)

Oh, and the Desert Botanical Garden should be beautiful this time of year. It's just South of Scottsdale, not far from Sky Harbor.

Oh, and Veg-in-Training I'm glad that Posh is willing to cater to vegans (right by Nourish, BTW). I thought about going there with my GF for Valentines day, but didn't want to get stuck with four courses of mildly seasoned grilled vegetable.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:04 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Nick - Posh really does a nice job. The chefs are really into food, so they want to try all sorts of new things. I need to give Nourish another chance. We got take out for work and my food was ice cold. They said they were sending me a certificate to try again and I never got it. The menu looks great.

I totally for got about the Renaissance Festival. Def fun!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:43 pm 

Thanks for all the suggestions, y'all. I'll be there from March 18 to March 21. I'm sort of wary of taking my grandfather to a vegan restaurant because he has Alzheimer's and I'm imagining having to explain every five minutes why there isn't meat on the menu and what tempeh is. But maybe I'm borrowing trouble and that wouldn't happen.

I missed the Body World exhibit when it came here, and I really wanted to go. I'm excited to have another chance.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:15 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

If you took your grandfather to Green he wouldn't even know the menu was vegan unless you told him. Burgers, po-boys, stir frys, salad, pizzas, Tsoynamis (like DQ blizzards)...it's where I go to get fat.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:08 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I love green, but for some reason I have never had one of their Tsoynamis. I know throw stones at me for admitting this.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:53 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Get thee a Tsoynami! I drive from Tucson for that shiz. Ok I also do other stuff in phx but always make that pit stop, just sayin'. :)

I've really been craving The Breadfruit, plantains and pigeon peas and rice mmmm.