| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:27 pm 
ol' garly cooch

yay: blasto is becoming more willing to pee and on rare occasions poop in the toilet.

boo: he isn't wild about the pooping part and will often get up multiple times when we first lay him down for a nap or at bed time to get up and poop. i know he's trying, but nothing happens. he'll say "it's not working, mommy." we lay him back down after he's tried and THEN he poops his pants. i cannot tell you how frustrating this is. we can't show this frustration because i don't want him to think he's a bad boy for going in his pull up.

please tell me any tips/tricks/et al of your toileting world with the beh-behs. i'd certainly appreciate it.

Post subject: Re: the poop scoop: toileting victories and set backs
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:43 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

i didn't have poop problems with Sprog, so i can't offer any sure solutions.

We had problems with her staying dry at night, for which we promised rewards (we had a reward box filled with fake tattoos and candy and other little trinkets). She suddenly was dry every morning, and it was about a week before we found she was secretly changing her own diaper very early in the morning before we got her out of her bed. And stashing the wet diapers behind the bed.

I did hear an economist say he solved the poop problem by offering the kid $5 every time he pooped in the potty. I fail to see how this would work in a smaller kid, though, and the implications are pretty rough- monetary reward for pooping? Hell, you'll have to give him a quarter for eating his lunch next!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:24 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Malcolm did the exact same thing. He'd sit on the toilet for 30 minutes, nothing would happen, then as soon as he left the bathroom, he'd poop his pants. It was so frustrating because I knew he knew where/when/how to go, he just didn't seem to want to.
I found giving him a little privacy helped. I know I certainly don't like people watching me when I'm pooping, and apparently he didn't like it either. Also, I've heard that it's easier for them to go if they can touch their feet to the floor, so more or less being able to brace/push properly or something?
Also, casusally dropping into conversation about grown ups and big kids pooping in the toilet seemed to help.

It's frustrating and seems like it will never end, but it will!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 5:30 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

torque wrote:
we found she was secretly changing her own diaper very early in the morning before we got her out of her bed. And stashing the wet diapers behind the bed.

Maybe this wasn't funny at the time, but I find it hilarious. What a schemer!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:52 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

i was on here 2 months ago asking for help on this same issue, and jackson is doing so great now. so this is all great advice you're getting, and it WILL get better!

i had him run around naked for about a month, whenever we were at home he was naked (diaper to go out -- we're gonna work on that after christmas). at first whenever he had to poop he would get upset and ask for a diaper, but i'd say no diaper. for a couple days he would hold it until naptime and poop in his diaper, but then the time came when he couldn't hold it and he was so amazed and proud when he pooped in the potty. after a month of naked, we transitioned to wearing big boy underwear around the house, and now big boy underwear with pants over it. he is still in a diaper at naptime and bedtime but doesn't poop in them.

we gave jackson stickers for peeing and now we give him chocolate chips for pooping. he got tired of the stickers after awhile so i don't think we'll be giving chocolate chips forever. i just found that it helped to give a different reward for #2, doesn't have to be candy. i ask him if he wants privacy or mommy to sit with him and look at a book, and he chooses. also like AmandaMelanie said, i got him a little step-stool so he can climb on by himself and rest his feet.

we also made a big thing of saying, when he poops in the potty "see how easy this is, just wipe your butt and you're done! we don't have to lay you down and change that stinky diaper, oh, that takes soooo long! now you can go back to playing, right away!"

good luck!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:15 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

mittenmacher wrote:
torque wrote:
we found she was secretly changing her own diaper very early in the morning before we got her out of her bed. And stashing the wet diapers behind the bed.

Maybe this wasn't funny at the time, but I find it hilarious. What a schemer!

How smart is she?!?!? Awesome.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:14 pm 
Inflexitarian

I haven't found any tricks that work with Zola. She's peed maybe 3 times and pooped once in the potty in the year or so that I've been trying to get her potty trained. I keep talking to her about it, I try to get her to sit on the potty several times a day, but she doesn't want to. I tried the sticker thing, but she keeps asking for them, and I have to tell her that they're only for when she goes pee and poop on the potty. Tantrum ensues.
When she was a baby she used to poop in the potty, but when we moved over from England there was a lapse for a couple of months because I didn't have a potty for her, and then when I did get one she didn't want to use it anymore. She had also learned to walk during that time, so it was probably also that she didn't want to/have to stay where I put her anymore.
I'm sick of having two kids in diapers!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:22 pm 
ol' garly cooch

thanks everyone. things are already getting a little bit better. he's still doing the back/forth thing with staying dry and clean with big boy pants on, but once he's laying down for a nap or night time he'll shiitake.

the thing that i really hate hearing from family is that he does it because we chose disposable diapers. i'm even reading a potty training book-(that surprise! my in law sent me) that seems hellbent on shaming parents who choose that route. i want to wipe my hiney with it and send it back to them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:55 am 
Married to the wolfman

torque wrote:
I did hear an economist say he solved the poop problem by offering the kid $5 every time he pooped in the potty. I fail to see how this would work in a smaller kid, though, and the implications are pretty rough- monetary reward for pooping? Hell, you'll have to give him a quarter for eating his lunch next!!

Someone should pay me $5 every time I poop in the potty. That is my new career.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:38 am 
Seagull of the PPK

jewbacca wrote:
the thing that i really hate hearing from family is that he does it because we chose disposable diapers. i'm even reading a potty training book-(that surprise! my in law sent me) that seems hellbent on shaming parents who choose that route. i want to wipe my hiney with it and send it back to them.

#1- bull forking shiitake.
#2- nothing wrong with using paper to wipe your hiney with. i say you cut the pages out and every time you wipe you think of the book. heck, little man might find pooping in the potty more fun if he gets to wipe his bottom with a "mean book"!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:21 pm 
Married to the wolfman

torque wrote:
jewbacca wrote:

#1- bull forking shiitake.

Strongly agree!

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:01 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am too lazy to read potty training books that aren't also geared for kids: What do I do about her being afraid of the potty? Just keep encouraging her to sit on it with her pants on? She won't sit on it naked. Maybe because it's cold... Also, do you just ask your kids often if they are wet? When Pea Pod is going #2 I tell her, "right now you're pooping! Can you say poop?" and she gives me a strained "pup."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:05 am 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've heard some kids are embarassed to say they need to poop, so signing "poop" is easier and less embarassing for them.

The sign is a thumbs up with one hand, and with the other hand you make fist to cover the thumb, then slide it up off the thumb.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:47 pm 
Wrote Dissertation on Vegans, Meat, and the Deserted Island Question

this is so weird, because I think my kiddo has some kinda cold or virus but all of a sudden, 2 days in a row she's insisted on sitting on the potty after I go. The first time she pooped! and then the next day she peed. Everyone in the house cheered for her and she got really excited. But now its been a day or 2 and she isn't as interested. I guess it was a fluke (she's just under 20months old) but that small glimpse I had of less diapers got me really happy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:39 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

Been there, done that. EXACTLY that, about a year ago until six months ago. It got to the point where we had to take our daughter to the doctor for x-rays because we were worried something was wrong with her. (Her tummy always hurt and she had, errrrmmmm, leakage and really really bulky poops. Poor kid.) Here's what the doc said:

-It's normal. (I'm pretty sure Blasto is about the same age as our little girl--maybe a bit younger?)
-She was probably embarrassed about being "dirty" when she pooped and got performance anxiety, then got horribly constipated and was unable to feel when she really had to poop and thus couldn't control it.
-Try incentives.

We got a chart and put a sticker on for each time she pooped in the toilet. When the chart was filled (40 or so squares I think?) she got to pick out a toy she really wanted. We tried all kinds of incentives, but that's the one that worked for us. We did the same thing about being dry at night.

I gotta say, I feel for you. It's so frustrating, and I know the kid is frustrated too if he's anything like our daughter. Good luck!

ETA: Oh, and it's not because of disposables. Total bullshiitake, that.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:50 pm 
ol' garly cooch

progress, progress, yay-yay-yay!

we've been sitting him on the can hell or high water before nap and bed time. many would disagree but treat incentives work. we won't give him much, but sweets work. he takes forever to go, though. he also likes the show-off gross out factor of "mommy, i made a poop the size of a _____!" which is pretty adorable. we still have a ways to go, but it's definitely getting better.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:15 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yay Blasto!!!

We had a chart for Malcolm (actually, I picture of a toilet drawn on bristol board) and he got to put a sticker in the "bowl" everytime he peed, and two for poops.
And they were super cool spiderman stickers.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:43 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

jewbacca wrote:
he also likes the show-off gross out factor of "mommy, i made a poop the size of a _____!" which is pretty adorable.

jackson always has to show me the poo right away. it's cute how proud they are. so glad Blasto is making progress!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:10 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

My kiddo loves to point her poop out as it's exiting her bum. You have no idea how exciting that is. Or maybe some do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:38 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am taking it real easy. She is not afraid of the potty now! In fact. She loves it. She wants her clothing off as soon as we enter the bathroom. But she doesn't pee or poo on it. We sit on our respective potties and just hang out. Then, after we're done and I'm picking something up or going to get a diaper she pees on the floor. This has happened twice. Pea Pod isn't even 2 years yet so I'm not exactly worried but it is surely a victory and hopefully not a phase to have her begging to be on the potty. I need to get pull-ups soon!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 9:34 am 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

keen_on_quinoa wrote:
I haven't found any tricks that work with Zola. She's peed maybe 3 times and pooped once in the potty in the year or so that I've been trying to get her potty trained. I keep talking to her about it, I try to get her to sit on the potty several times a day, but she doesn't want to. I tried the sticker thing, but she keeps asking for them, and I have to tell her that they're only for when she goes pee and poop on the potty. Tantrum ensues.
When she was a baby she used to poop in the potty, but when we moved over from England there was a lapse for a couple of months because I didn't have a potty for her, and then when I did get one she didn't want to use it anymore. She had also learned to walk during that time, so it was probably also that she didn't want to/have to stay where I put her anymore.
I'm sick of having two kids in diapers!!

OMG, this is so close to my situation, it's like I wrote it. We haven't moved overseas (not since I had kids, anyway), but my kid stopped pooping in his potty about the time he learned to stand and will now only pee in it a couple times a week and only after much coercion. I tried chocolate bribes, but he just thinks I am just offering him chocolate. Two kids in diapers is rough. (And I usually use cloth, so whoever said cloth = easy potty training is barmy.)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:45 am 
Bathes in Braggs

so, um, tzippy pooped on the floor today. we do EC very casually, and since we've had a few warm days in a row and the house is not freezing, we had a diaper free morning. well, the new thing these days is standing solo and taking a step or two, so she was all proud of herself and talking to me while standing in the living room. she paused for a sec and kind of grunted, which is classic pooping, so i looked down, but nothing... i offered potty, but she wanted to keep standing. one minute later, i look over and there's a steaming turd on the ground.

a) ugh
b) i didn't know you could poop from a fully standing, legs together position

no real point to this anecdote, except clearly we have not made the connect between potty and pooping. i guess we'll keep working on it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:13 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

It sounds like most everyone is using a potty. I said something about one to my mom and she freaked, saying how gross it was to clean and I should just get one of those baby toilet seat things that go over the adult toilet, and a step stool. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is there any advantage to the potty?

Here's another dumb question - how do you teach boys to pee? Standing up or sitting down?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:31 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Aubade, we have 3 pottys; one is the seat that goes on the full-size toilet, one is this cheapo potty, and one (the best) is a Baby Bjorn potty. What has worked for us the best is the Baby Bjorn and sitting backwards on the big potty. He likes to poop alone, so he uses the Baby Bjorn for that (although today he pooped in the big toilet while I was with him!).
We started out having him stand on his stool in front of the potty, but at first I think it freaked him out that pee could kind of go all over the place. So we tried sitting him down backwards on the potty and it works really well; it's the perfect angle (for a 2.5 year old anyway!) to avoid any accidents. And then it was really easy to use public bathrooms because we just do the same thing as at home!
He has never been comfortable on the potty seat thing, and the pee sheild on ours isn't high enough to prevent sprays. So I recommend the baby bjorn or a similar model!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:42 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Aubade wrote:
It sounds like most everyone is using a potty. I said something about one to my mom and she freaked, saying how gross it was to clean and I should just get one of those baby toilet seat things that go over the adult toilet, and a step stool. What is everyone's thoughts on this? Is there any advantage to the potty?

Here's another dumb question - how do you teach boys to pee? Standing up or sitting down?

We also have the Baby Bjorn potty and the seat for the toilet. My son will use both, but I try to get him on the toilet for poops just for the less mess factor. However, my mom told me the most genius thing which I never would have thought of - keep a little bit of water in the potty and it will be so much easier to get the poop out of it. You may occasionally find a cat drinking out of it, but it makes life much better.

We're teaching our guy to pee sitting down for the most part - he just doesn't have the control or the, um, length to get the pee all the way to the potty. That said, he gets a kick out of peeing standing up outdoors.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next