| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:32 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: ghost stories!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 12:55 pm 
Chip Strong

i want to hear about your real ghost experiences! (or, you know, stuff that happened that you perceived as being paranormal-related) (and telling second hand stories is okay too)

one of mine:
my grandfather lost both of his legs, from the knee down, in a fire. he wore prosthetics to work, but never around the house. he was kind of a bigger guy too... so between his weight and his prosthetic-less shortness, he had a really distinctive shape. my grandparents were "snowbirds"– meaning they had a summer home in vermont and a winter home in florida.

in 2002 my grandfather passed away, at his house in vermont. in the winter my grandmother still went to florida, and my mom went with her. i visited them for xmas that year. i had stayed up late watching a movie and when i went to bed the house was very very dark. off of the living room was a hallway. at the end of the hallway was the bathroom. at the end of the hall on the left was my grandmothers bedroom; on the right was the guestroom, where i was staying.

i had turned off all of the lights and was making my way toward the bathroom. i got to the end of the hall and glanced into my grandmothers room and i saw my grandfather standing at the foot of her bed! it was only there for a second, but the shape was very distinctive. every hair on my body stood up. i stood there for several minutes trying to find an explanation for what i saw, but couldn't come up with one.

it was comforting to me to think of him watching over my grandmother, but i never told her or my mom about it because i didn't want to freak them out.

Dear Nora: My cat's advice column (really)

Post subject: Re: ghost stories!
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:03 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

This is going to be my new favorite thread. GO!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:05 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

Spooktacular. That's pretty intense! Instead of standing there, I would have booked it.

I have two stories, but I'm ppking on my phone so it will take me four million years to type everything out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:16 pm 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

I have (thankfully) never had any experiences myself. I don't think I'd be able to handle it, mentally.
But a friend of mine has told me about a couple experiences in her house:

Some nights when they're watching tv upstairs with the door closed, they can hear footsteps in the hallway, even though no one else is in the house. The dog notices usually too, and when they open the door, of course no one is there. This happens a lot and there's never any explanation for it.

Another time when she was in bed thinking (before bed, her eyes were open but he lights were off), her entire vision turned green and she felt as if a force was pushing down on her chest. She couldn't move and the only thing she could think to do was pray to her God for strength, and finally it subsided.
Creepy!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:20 pm 

The first story took place in my exboyfriend's SUPER old house, where his mom and two brothers lived. One time I went down to the basement/game room to pick up cables to my super nintendo or something, and on my way back up, someone started running up the stairs behind me. Naturally I assumed it was one of the boys either trying to slap my asparagus or scare me (which happened a lot) so I ran to the top of the stairs and turned around to yell at whoever was harrassing me. That would have been a lot easier had someone actually been there. It turns out the family was all upstairs, and it was "Frank," the previous tenant who died in the basement, up to his usual pranks. ...I never went into that basement again.

The second story took place at a friend's house while her family was out of town. She and I were in her room downstairs getting ready to go clubbing or something when she got a phone call. While she was on the phone, I heard someone opening cabinets and walking around the kitchen. My friend didn't care, but I was very concerned. Once she ended her phone call, she proceded to tell me her house is on an Indian burial ground, AND SOMETIMES SHE HEARS CHANTING AT NIGHT. FORK. That still creeps me out so much, why would someone still live in that kind of situation if you KNEW there were disgruntled spirits around?!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:30 pm 
Totally sane, not interested in bats whatsoever.

Nice!

I have some, but I'll have to post them after having breakfast.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:47 pm 
Chip Strong

oh! thisheregiraffe, you reminded me of another one with your basement story!

my best friend in high school lived in this house that was like 200 years old, and had been in their family forever. the washer & dryer were in the basement. one day the mom was walking up the basement stairs with a load of laundry & she heard something behind her. she turned around & there was a soldier in full uniform at the bottom of the stairs! she ran up & refused to ever go down there again, so her husband had to bring the washer & dryer upstairs. when i was 19 i lived in that house with them for a couple months, and i used to hear footsteps and stuff moving around all the time in other rooms when nobody was home. also, one night i was in bed reading & one of the cats was on my bed. all of a sudden she stood up and all of her hair stood up too and she started hissing and growling at the corner of the room, which appeared empty to me. eek!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:04 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Oooh creepy stuff. This story comes from my cousins. It happened quite some time ago, but I never knew about it because I was young and they thought it would scare me.

So my cousin, Michelle, has two sisters, Jeannette and Denise. They grew up in an apartment in Manhattan with their mother. One day, they were all hanging out in one of the bedrooms (Room A) before bedtime and their mom was reading them a story or something. Suddenly, her eyes go toward the doorway, where she sees a guy standing. The girls turn around to see what she was looking at but nothing's there. Not wanting to scare the girls, she tells them to forget it; it was nothing.

Another day, Jeanette is in Room A and she sees some guy standing in there in the corner of her eye. She knows she saw him, but she decides not to tell anyone and continues doing whatever she was doing.

Some time later, Denise was returning to her room after taking a shower. She's heads down the hallway (toward Room A) and suddenly sees someone run into the hallway from the living room. He pauses, looks at her, smiles, and runs into Room A. She starts screaming and everyone runs over to see what happened. When she tells them what she saw and Jeanette and mom say they have also seen visions of the same guy in or near that room. They all give the same description of him: young with red hair and black clothes.

As time passes, all of them keep seeing him from time to time. But a few years later, the mom died and they have never seen him there since. Now, they use that room for storage only.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:13 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

love this thread

My stepmother goes to this sort of psychic woman regularly, she's been gong to see her for years, and she always tells her really dead-on stuff about her life and about people close to her. Anyway, so one day a couple of years ago my dad and stepmother went on a day trip to the town where she was born to visit her father's grave in the cemetery. While they were walking through the gravestones my stepmother passed by a grave she recognized as being that of a classmate of hers in high school. She had no idea he had died or how he died, but she suddenly started feeling very tired and as if a huge weight had settled on her.

When they got home, she calls up this psychic woman and tells her about he experience, and the psychic tells her that the spirit of her high school classmate had jumped onto her back as she passed by. Apparently he had committed suicide and recognized my stepmother and was unhappy and unable to rest so had latched onto her. and then told her...."He's now sitting on your kitchen table." Then the psychic said she would send him away to the light or something, and that was it...anyway not sure I totally believe the story but it freaked me out when she told it.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:25 pm 
Chip Strong

my stepmom's brother, michael, committed suicide when my little sister was less than a year old. he was a musician and was always singing and was known to sing one particular song a lot.

one day (when my sister was about 5 years old) my stepmom & sister were at my step-grandparents house and my sister was in a room playing while my stepmom & step-grandmother were outside drinking iced tea and chatting. my sister went outside and she was singing the song that the uncle used to sing a lot. my step-grandmother asked "where did you hear that song?" and my sister said "michael sings it to me". apparently michael used to play with her and sing to her a lot.

in that house we also used to hear the piano playing sometimes when nobody was in the piano room.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

When I was a teen, my best friend's mom's best friend died in a car wreck (wow not sure that sentence even made sense). After she died, lights would flicker in the house and as soon as someone would say 'ok Deb, we know you are there you can stop now' it would stop.

My friend and I were folding laundry in her parent's room one night and the radio dial started to move but no one was touching it (yeah I am old lol... this was before digital) and it stopped on Blue moon which was Deb's favorite song.

I have hundreds of ghost stories... I have been doing 'ghost hunting' since my early 20's.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:29 pm 
Chip Strong

koti wrote:
I have hundreds of ghost stories... I have been doing 'ghost hunting' since my early 20's.

i have hundreds too. i kind of collect them.

tell us more!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:33 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Not exactly paranormal, but I believe my daughter has had contact with my mom (who passed away 2 years before my daughter was born.

One day when she was around 2 years old she had fallen asleep in the car on the way home from doing errands. She woke up and said very clearly, "My gramma is holding two babies." It was kind of creepy at the time (she did not know or call anyone 'gramma'), but became even cooler/creepier when I discovered that I was pregnant a few weeks later....then cooler and creepier still when I learned a few weeks after that that my brother and sister-in-law were expecting their first baby.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:48 pm 
Seagull of the PPK

When Mr T and I lived in Japan we had a few ghostly visits. We had a lot of the "kanashibari" events (when you wake up paralyzed and terrified) but there were two distinct times that I woke up and there was a woman in my room wearing my robe; we had a conversation that terrified the shiitake out of me. My husband regularly saw things in the same apartment. We ended up having a monk friend of mine come and exorcise the apartment and kept a huge thing of salt for whomever came in and out. After we went through the whole thing we found a few other places that were haunted- two bars we used to go to- one where we used to see faces peeking in the bathroom window (which was about 9 feet off the ground), another where the lights would constantly go on and off.

Later on I spent some time up on a "ghost mountain", a place where old people were left to die during famine times. The most beautiful places you could ever imagine, but the most terrible, terrible place you could ever spend a night.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:50 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

Years ago, when I was a little kid, a young girl went missing in a nearby city. My mom saw the story on the news about how they were looking for her. That night, the girl came to my mom in a dream and told her that she'd been murdered. She showed my mom where her body was - in a park, in a shallow grave beneath some shrubbery, just off a bike path. She pointed out a man standing near a black van and said he was the man who had killed her. He was turned away, so my mom couldn't see his face. The girl was very agitated and adamant that my mom help her. My mom woke up super freaked out and called the police to tell them what she "knew" but she knew it sounded crazy and they pretty much blew her off. She was really unsettled, so she drove to the city where the girl lived - a place she wasn't familiar with - and drove around until she found the park from her dream. She drove into the park and saw the path the girl had shown her and got extremely freaked out, so she left. (I was like four and a half and in the backseat, and I remember this part.) She went home and didn't know what to do - she tried the police again, but they treated her like a crazy person and/or suspect, so she gave up. Weeks later, some joggers found the girl's body in the park, right in the spot from my mom's dream. They never solved her murder.

A few years after that, my mom had a similar dream after the mother of one of my classmates died. In a weird series of events, we had been the ones who found the woman's body. Afterward my mom had a dream where the woman was very urgently telling my mom that her sisters were going to try to take the valuables that would be her daughter's only inheritance. And sure enough, that's exactly what happened. My mom had told the girl's dad about her dream and he stopped the sisters from taking the stuff.

I'm a super skeptical person, but I know my mom well and I know these stories are legit. They really freaked her out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:56 pm 

torque wrote:
When Mr T and I lived in Japan we had a few ghostly visits. We had a lot of the "kanashibari" events (when you wake up paralyzed and terrified) but there were two distinct times that I woke up and there was a woman in my room wearing my robe; we had a conversation that terrified the shiitake out of me.

!!! What kind of conversation?? What was said?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:29 pm 
Heeeerrrrree's JACKY!

I have several. But my favorite took place about 20 years ago.
When Vyapti and I first started living together we lived in a crappy neighborhood in a tiny but ancient and rickety old house. The house creaked and made plenty of noise all the time. However, frequently we would hear footsteps in the kitchen, when no one else was home.
One day I was standing at the kitchen door (that lead outside) facing out, talking to a friend of mine. He was outside the door looking in. All of a sudden we both hear running footsteps like bare feet slapping on the vinyl floor. I felt something sort of push by me, but I didn't see anything. I could see by the look on his face that he heard the running. He left immediately.
Later he said that he thought he had seen a shadow push past me and that he was terrified. By that point I was so used to the noises that it didn't phase me.

"Tots: the universal food band-aid... better than a mother's kiss. Healin' wounds since 1954." Meggs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

These are a little terrifying. I only have two that aren't all that bad, compared to what everyone else is talking about.

When I was in my mid-teens, I was re-painting my bedroom. I'd cleared everything out, so it was really echo-y. Anyway, one night, I was at home painting. My mom was asleep on the couch, dad was at work, and my brother was out with friends. I heard a loud knock on my door, jumped and screamed 'What?!', thinking my brother had come home and tried to freak me out. No one answered, so I opened the door. No one was there or in any of the other rooms, except my mom still asleep on the couch. It took about 5 minutes for my hear to stop pounding. Then, a few nights later, there was writing in the (dried) paint on the wall (I can't remember what it said, but it was rude). I thought my brother or his friend had done it, but they didn't have the opportunity.

A few years ago, I was in the underground vaults with my flatmate (we were at the overnight vigil during Edinburgh GhostFest). I've never had any experiences with anything in the vaults, even though lots of other people have experienced activity. But at one point, we were looking at a wall, and we started seeing a light floating on it. We had a lantern, but it didn't make that pattern and wasn't casting on the wall in that way. It was kinda freaky, but we didn't feel the need to run out screaming.

My old flatmate has tons of ghost stories. Also, she'd sometimes have sleep paralysis and hallucinations when she had really bad insomnia (like when she hadn't slept for days) and would talk about little creatures sitting on her chest and then scurrying off to the other side of the room when she was half asleep. Freaky.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:05 pm 
Discovered unobtainium

Not me, but my mom:

One place we used to live, she would get very angry at my dad if he took a shortcut home because she said she felt awful and would start crying or feel this dread come over her. She was very adamant about never going down that road.

She told me about this a couple of years ago and I googled the road (don't remember it now, but somewhere in Springfield, VA) and it turns out that in the 1890s a girl was found strangled on that road, and a farmer was accused of the murder. Two or three other women in the area also went missing.

My mom has a lot of stories like this. If my mom ever told me not to get on an airplane or something similar, I would listen to her, no questions asked.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:13 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

takecare wrote:
koti wrote:

i have hundreds too. i kind of collect them.

tell us more!

sadly most of mine from 'ghost hunting' turn out to have non paranormal reasons behind the 'hauntings'.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:29 pm 
Impressive boner

My mother started seeing ghosts when she was a little girl and has told me stories about a few she's seen.

The one that stood out to me the most was about when she and my dad had just got married. They'd moved house to a neighboring town to where they live now and there was one room she couldn't go into because of the feelings of dread that would come over her. She would wake up every night and see a man sitting in the armchair in the corner of her room, looking at her. It turned out that the back of their house overlooked the kitchen of a house where a man had gone mad a few decades previously. He'd killed two young girls and hacked off one of the girls feet - the police found him just as he was about to start eating the cooked feet. He had been dead for a few years before my parents moved there.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 4:30 pm 
Thinks Stonewall's jerquee tastes GREAT!

8ball wrote:
My mother started seeing ghosts when she was a little girl and has told me stories about a few she's seen.

The one that stood out to me the most was about when she and my dad had just got married. They'd moved house to a neighboring town to where they live now and there was one room she couldn't go into because of the feelings of dread that would come over her. She would wake up every night and see a man sitting in the armchair in the corner of her room, looking at her. It turned out that the back of their house overlooked the kitchen of a house where a man had gone mad a few decades previously. He'd killed two young girls and hacked off one of the girls feet - the police found him just as he was about to start eating the cooked feet. He had been dead for a few years before my parents moved there.

WOAH. NO thank you.
Also, not vegan.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:14 pm 
TOTALLY CRADICAL

Pinko, your mom's stories are really eerie and really sad.

I love ghost stories though! I don't have many of my own, so I'll just talk about a haunted place I know pretty well. That said, if anything like what you guys are describing ever happened to me, I'd shiitake my pants and turn into a blubbering mess.

There was/is a punk venue in my home town that was a disused opera house-turned-movie theater. It had burned down in 1907 or thereabouts, killing many, and after being rebuilt had a prohibition-era tunnel running under the street to the restaurant across the street for smuggling alcohol. The tunnels are partially blocked but still exist today. Every new year the owners would invite psychics to come and 'cleanse' the theater and many of them described (and corroborated each other on) the various ghosts living in the theater. There was a friendly young couple in the balcony and a handful of spirits on the ceiling. My only ghost sighting was seeing two orbs spiralling down from the ceiling there in a helix-pattern. I thought it was a trick of my eyes/contact lenses, and rubbed my eyes, and looked again, and they were spiralling down again, from the top.

There were also very malevolent spirits there. On either side of the stage were two 'towers' where you could climb up and poke your head out of a window about two stories above the stage. The stage left tower was used often, and was connected to both the backstage/loading area and a few extra sub-stage storage/dressing rooms as well as the area where the speakeasy tunnel was. The stage right tower was extremely bad, though, and nobody went back there. Even as curious teenagers we steered clear. It had the only other bathroom aside from the main customer restrooms on the balcony but even though it was much more convenient nobody went in there. My friend swears he was having a peas in there once and something reached around from behind and scratched him, hard, across the stomach. I don't know if I believe that, but people definitely steered clear of that tower.

There was also a very angry ghost in the women's restroom. People who'd seen her said she was very large, naked, and would chase you down the stairs from the balcony. Although I liked hearing the stories, I didn't put much stock in this, until one occasion when my friends and I had the opportunity to spend the night in the theater. The owners showed us how to operate the fuse board behind the snack bar, and shortly after dark, the women's bathroom lights went completely out. It wasn't the lightbulb, because there was more than one fixture, and it wasn't the fuse, because as soon as dawn rolled around the bathroom suddenly lit up just fine.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:38 pm 
Dead by dawn

When I was a little kid (when my parents were still married,) my dad was self-appointed Executive Director of Christmas Tree Decorating. It was super important to him and he was very particular about where everything went, but he didn't do any of the decorating himself... he just sat in his (orange tweed, totally 70s) easy chair and issued directions to me and my mom and my little sister.

About five years after he died, I went with my mom to buy her Christmas tree and was helping her decorate it when we both suddenly noticed the unmistakable presence of cigarette smoke. Her apartment had been gutted and remodeled before she moved in a month earlier, so there couldn't have been any traces of cigarette smoke in the house. And it wasn't a stale smoke smell at any rate; it was as if someone was smoking right there in the room. We decided that it was my dad, there to direct the decoration of the tree.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 10:44 pm 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Creepy!

Friends of ours lived in an apartment complex that was built on the site of a Civil War era hospital. On multiple occasions the guy saw two figures out of the corner of his eye, but when he turned to look they would disappear. He could only describe them as a tall male and a short female. He brought it up to his wife who, without him describing them, said "Big one and short one?" She had been seeing them as well.

One night their upstairs neighbor was playing the stereo. They thought it was strange that the volume was going up and down, blaring for periods of time then turned down softly. The next morning they asked the neighbor and he was like "Yeah, it came on by itself." Because apparently his radio came on by itself and flipped through stations and changed volume on its own-the neighbor had seen the tall/short figures and just assumed the place was haunted. Like that is normal!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 365 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next