| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next
 Post subject: Re: The Steam PC gaming thread!
PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:38 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Alien wrote:
Brian - I'm liking the look of the indie packs in the catalogue, do you have any opinion on them (/have you already posted about them?)
and whats tropico 3 like? it seems quite appealing.=]

If you've got the money to spare, the Indie heavy hitters pack is definitely worth your time. I've only played four of the games (Braid, Osmos, Audiosurf and World of Goo), but every single one has been so good that I've sunk hours and hours and hours into them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:09 pm 
WRETCHED

StepIntoTheLight wrote:
Alien wrote:
Brian - I'm liking the look of the indie packs in the catalogue, do you have any opinion on them (/have you already posted about them?)
and whats tropico 3 like? it seems quite appealing.=]

If you've got the money to spare, the Indie heavy hitters pack is definitely worth your time. I've only played four of the games (Braid, Osmos, Audiosurf and World of Goo), but every single one has been so good that I've sunk hours and hours and hours into them.

Braid is an awesome game, it is worth $4.99 alone. We loved Trine, we loved Trine, again worth $4.99 alone. Osmos is really good too but it can be frustrating, a lot of thinking :)

Also, the Indie mix pack has a few games we've liked Eufloria and Cogs.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:15 pm 
A Bad Person

A new week and new sales! Day 8!

Killing Floor complete is $7, which may make people who bought it the week before the holiday sale feel a little burnt. I don't think it was that cheap before. Regardless, some people love this game. I couldn't figure it out. EVE Online for $5, I think it comes with 30 days free. Not a bad price to try out a pretty unique mmo. There's plenty of game in Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum, I'm just not sure how much for $10. Probably a good deal if you're into D&D regardless. Machinarium is super cheap, but you should all already own that from the Humble Bundle 2 which recently ended, right? Right. If you value your money or good games, do not buy Lost Planet 2. By all accounts, it is an enormous turd. Mirror's Edge is a really fun first-person game that's kind of like playing Prince of Persia. It's really kind of unique, and pretty cheap. Serious Sam HD gold edition is fun if you're into mindless creature blasting! And if you haven't played Knights of the Old Republic and you're into Star Wars, you'd be insane to pass it up at only $2.50.

There's definitely some good games in here, just nothing that really stands out for me that I don't already own.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:35 pm 
Smuggling Raisins

brian wrote:
A new week and new sales! Day 8!

Killing Floor complete is $7, which may make people who bought it the week before the holiday sale feel a little burnt. I don't think it was that cheap before. Regardless, some people love this game. I couldn't figure it out. EVE Online for $5, I think it comes with 30 days free. Not a bad price to try out a pretty unique mmo. There's plenty of game in Neverwinter Nights 2 Platinum, I'm just not sure how much for $10. Probably a good deal if you're into D&D regardless. Machinarium is super cheap, but you should all already own that from the Humble Bundle 2 which recently ended, right? Right. If you value your money or good games, do not buy Lost Planet 2. By all accounts, it is an enormous turd. Mirror's Edge is a really fun first-person game that's kind of like playing Prince of Persia. It's really kind of unique, and pretty cheap. Serious Sam HD gold edition is fun if you're into mindless creature blasting! And if you haven't played Knights of the Old Republic and you're into Star Wars, you'd be insane to pass it up at only $2.50.

There's definitely some good games in here, just nothing that really stands out for me that I don't already own.

I have a friend who is huge on killing floor but the more I saw of it the less it appealed to me.

I'm big on the both NWN games but I own NWN2 and the two expansions. I bought them full price when they came out and played the heck out of them and I'm considering looking around for online content since those games just came up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:38 pm 
A Bad Person

Chiatroll wrote:
I'm big on the both NWN games but I own NWN2 and the two expansions. I bought them full price when they came out and played the heck out of them and I'm considering looking around for online content since those games just came up.

Yeah, I know the first NWN got a TON of quality usermade content. I never owned NWN2 so I don't know how much stuff came out of its community.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:40 pm 
WRETCHED

Knights of The Republic is one of my favorite games so yeah I'd also say pick it up.

I am contemplating Mirror's Edge and my husband is contemplating Neverwinter Nights. I think he'll like it.

Victoria 2 looks interesting for a strategy and may be my type of thing but I'd prefer to get it under $10 (current price is $12). Victoria (1) had horrible reviews just because it wasn't very intuitive but Victoria 2 had much better reviews.

And speaking of Strategy, Cities XL is supposed to be pretty good but at $19 is still more than I'm willing to spend on it.

We also have Machinarium which is cute but I'd also say there are bundles with it so might want to check those out first.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:44 pm 
A Bad Person

Secret video game confession: I still haven't finished KOTOR. I've been dodging spoilers for over 7 years.

I just finished Mirror's Edge last week. It would've been easier if I weren't doing a no-weapons run. It was frustrating but that was really how the developers intended on the game being played.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:45 pm 
WRETCHED

Oh and it is funny, my husband likes buying his $4/$5 games on steam and gets wary of games costing more than that. I have to persuade him for more expensive games and say I'll play it too if he buys it. Which is what I've done with a few other games and probably going to do with Neverwinter Nights.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:46 pm 
WRETCHED

brian wrote:
Secret video game confession: I still haven't finished KOTOR. I've been dodging spoilers for over 7 years.

You should be ashamed of yourself!! It is such an awesome game. I've played it a couple times.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 6:59 pm 
No gift receipt, guess you're stuck with it.

brian wrote:

You're missing out, dude. Once you get past the really really big spoiler, you're generally home free. And that revelation isn't even all that far into the game. Maybe halfway? It's been far too long.

I wish most of these deals actually mattered for Mac users. I know I'm one in a million here, but throw us a bone. Civ 5 and the Source games will last me forever, but I still want fun, cheap indie games. :(

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:28 am 
Shopped till she dropped

According to the little Steam popup friends thinger, my dad is playing Left 4 Dead at 7.20 in the morning. What?

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:14 am 
A Bad Person

kara kara wrote:
According to the little Steam popup friends thinger, my dad is playing Left 4 Dead at 7.20 in the morning. What?

It's a good game, appropriate to play at any time!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:36 pm 
WRETCHED

I'm lost in terms of today's deals so I'm waiting for Brian :)

Although I think we have Rush as I'm pretty sure it is an indie game and at $1.69, hard to beat that if you like puzzle games.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:14 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Doom complete pack is on again!
So is global Agenda for 7.47$!

Get them now!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:23 pm 
A Bad Person

Sorry, MBM and I are cleaning a friend's house! DAY 9!

Global Agenda is kind of cheap. I guess it's like Tribes, TF2, and Planetside had a baby. It used be on a subscription model but I think it's gone to microtransactions. Section 8 is basically Tribes, but it's new and only $5. I LOVE CRYSIS!!! It's still probably the best looking game on PC and it's 3 years old. Crysis is super awesome, and Crysis Warhead is more Crysis. Buy them both for $10! IL-2 Sturmovik is supposedly a really awesome WWII dogfighting simulator and a good deal at $5. Sim City 4 for $5 is a pretty good deal. I absolutely love all the Doom games, even Doom 3, so $8.74 for ALL OF THEM is a no-brainer to me. A lot of people are really into Mount & Blade. It's a medieval role playing game that's pretty firmly grounded in reality so I wouldn't classify it as fantasy.

Not a bad day. Crysis and Doom are definitely my favorites but I already own all of them.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:53 pm 
WRETCHED

Doom is obviously a classic but it really isn't my type of thing. I remember playing the original Doom way back when. Also Crysis' story seems focused around war/military/etc, again, not quite my thing.

I had looked at Mount & Blade before when it was on sale and I think the reviews indicated it was too wide open.

Global Agenda really doesn't have that good of reviews but not sure if those reviews were before or after a subscription based model. Not sure, $7 is cheap though.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:02 am 
Saggy Butt

oh i still havent bought anything. i got my laptop on boxing day and its the first one i've had with an actual dedicated graphics card but i'm still far too scared to buy games. i keep just looking at them.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:45 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

X-com games are all on for 1.80$ and the complete pack is 8$.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:35 am 
A Bad Person

B_A_D wrote:
X-com games are all on for 1.80$ and the complete pack is 8$.

The first two X-Com games (UFO Defense and Terror From the Deep) are hard game club games. X-Com Apocalypse's interface is written in hieroglyphics. X-Com Interceptor and X-Com Enforcer are total doo-doo. Pick and choose which ones you want, save some cash!

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:55 am 
WRETCHED

I downloaded the demo of Global Agenda last night. I decided it is not for me.

Alien - I am going to say the indie packs are fairly cheap and fun. Do you like games? Any particular type of game you like?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:13 am 
Saggy Butt

I like games. My favourite current game is God of War but I also love the Sims and just played Hysteria Project, a psp mini horror thing, which I love. My ex had world of goo on wii and I loooved it, but the thing is i've played through a fair bit of it now. I'd like to think my taste in games is fairly broad, but i'm not very good with games where i'm in a plane or a car
I'm downloading the demo for Eets, as it says it's lemming like and I looove lemmings =]

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:17 pm 
WRETCHED

Today has a couple interesting finds.

Amnesia at $6.80 is a good price, my husband likes that game and it has good reviews. I'm a scaredy cat who won't go near it.

Another scary game, Dead Space is also only $6.80 and has some really good reviews.

Plants vs Zombies is fun and only $4.

Greed Corp is mine for $2.50. It is a strategy with good reviews.

Swords & Soldiers has some good reviews and is only $2.50 but it doesn't quite look like my thing. My husband may like it though.

The Ball looks interesting and is only $4.99 but the reviews indicated that it gets repetitive and the best part of the game is at the end.

City of Heroes is a pay to play game so not my type of thing.

Quake is another classic but not my type of thing.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:37 pm 
A Bad Person

Day 10!

Dead Space is an amazing game. It's a true third-person survival horror. However, I've read reviews that the controls in the PC port aren't awesome. Still, for $7, I highly recommend it. The Ball for $5 is a no-brainer. It's an Unreal engine powered action puzzle game. Kind of like Portal in Mayan ruins except less clever and more direct action. I can't wait to play it. Plants Vs. Zombies is super popular and super cheap! Buy now! The Brothers in Arms series isn't exactly well known but they're made by one of my favorite developers, Gearbox, and you can get all three WWII action games for $10. Kane & Lynch 2 has had some serious mixed reviews but it's only $5. It's a coop shooter made by same people who made the Hitman series. I don't know anything about Swords and Soldiers but it looks cutesy and it's only $2.50. Amnesia: The Dark Descent is an amazing first person survival horror. It's creepy and dark and fantastic. I'm almost as much of a fan of the Quake series as I am of the Doom series and getting the whole series for a little over $10 is a great deal!

Lots of good deals today on great games! I already own most of the good ones but I'm pretty interested in getting the Brothers in Arms games, and slightly interested in Kane & Lynch 2. I've passed on Kane & Lynch in sales past twice before, maybe today will be the day.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:31 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

today's sales warm my heart.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:10 pm 
Chip Strong

I bought Borderlands on Sunday and have now played 27 hours. Halp!

Profile WWW  

Reply to topic  [ 1333 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 54  Next