| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Bad Pap - please get a pelvic exam yearly
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:10 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

Sra. Nooch, I'm so sorry about that you had to go through!

ijustdiedinside wrote:
I just had a normal pap and my doc recommended I only go every 2-3 years. I'm not sure what I will end up doing.

My doctor recommended every other year if you have a history of normal pap smears, but I might just go every year. Sure, it's uncomfortable for a few minutes, but at least it's only once a year.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:56 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

Quarantined wrote:
rachell37 wrote:
They only do pap smears every three years here. It kinda makes me nervous. I feel like I should be getting one yearly, but I know they'd tell me it's unnecessary if I tried to schedule one before the three-year mark.

I grew up in Europe and never had a pap smear til I moved back here when I was 28. The Planned Parenthood clinic bitched me out when I went to get birth control, they were shocked that I'd never had one before, but my doctors never suggested it to me in Europe before that. it seems that outside the US the medical community doesn't feel it's necessary as often as in the states. Not to offend anyone in this thread and their stories of people who have caught things early through getting paps...sorry if it comes across that way.

Totally not offended! As an amateur epidemiologist, I would reckon it might be a statistical risk/outcome thing between the continents.

Thank you to everybody for reading this. I can't say just how horrible it felt to think about my daughter not having a mom. Pap smears are really easy and save lives. Follow-up appointments are even easier unless the gynecologist is a douche. *hugs*

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:43 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

do you guys get paps at your regular doctor or at the gyno? I always got them at my regular doctor though the colposcopy was at a gyno.

"If I were M. de la Viandeviande, I would now write a thirteen page post about how you have to have free will to be vegan, but modern science does not suggest any evidence for free will, therefore it is impossible to be vegan." -mumbles

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:55 pm 
Saggy Butt

Scary. I was also diagnosed with HPV, but when I had my Mirena installed in February, they said my HPV was gone. Which was a huge relief, obvs.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:35 pm 
Dead by dawn

Quarantined wrote:
do you guys get paps at your regular doctor or at the gyno? I always got them at my regular doctor though the colposcopy was at a gyno.

I'd always gotten them at my regular doc until the second bout with dysplasia. At that point, my regular doc referred me to the gyno who did the colposcopy and the LEEP. For awhile, I was doing my follow-up paps at the gyno, too, but once I was clear for awhile she said I could just go back to my primary care doc instead. I prefer going to my primary because it's really the only time I ever go to the doctor so she treats it like a mini-physical.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 7:30 pm 
Semen Strong

Quarantined, you're right. I first had a colposcopy, but they couldn't get all the cells (they can biospy a small section) and had to have cryotherapy to destroy the remaining abnormal cells. Cryo really wasn't a big deal for me - its slightly less effective than LEEP, but is quicker.

I get my paps at the gyno. My NP doesn't have stirrups on the beds. My gyno and the people at Planned Parenthood have said I can go to having one every 3 years now, but I'd rather have an annual than risk missing something....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:25 pm 
Saggy Butt

I think the three year thing is a bad idea considering how many people get HPV! My pap was normal 14 months ago and then two months ago it was abnormal and the biopsy I just had showed that the dysplasia is getting worse just between the pap and biopsy. It's not bad enough to do the LEEP so for now I just have to get pap smears every 4 months but I'm glad I didn't wait two more years to find out!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:33 pm 
Saggy Butt

Quarantined wrote:

I used to get them at my regular doctor but when I got my abnormal pap they referred me to a gyno and told me it was because the pap indicated that I might have endometriosis. That was bs and they just didn't want to say "you have HPV" so now I'm mad at my doctor's office for lying to me. But I love the NP at the gyno so I'm going to keep going to her despite the long drive.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:24 am 
Venomous Head of Veganism

I just went through the same exact thing. The colposcapy hurt! But everything is fine, praise tofu. Glad you're ok, too!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:54 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I'm sorry that everyone had to go through this! It's a good reminder to get regular check-ups, even if you've always had normal paps!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:20 am 
Cranky

I had a LEEP 2 1/2 years ago. Not fun, but everything has been fine since.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:31 am 
Chip Strong

Omg I JUST went to the gyno and had a colposcopy and a biopsy, I'm still dealing with gross bleeding and waiting for the nasty scab to come out that she warned me about. I'm about to turn 23 and I admit, I'm sort of terrified. I was going to get Gardasil (I still should) but the strain of HPV I have isn't even protected against by Gardasil. Sigh. Still waiting for the results to come in, and my birthday is in 2 days. I really want some good news.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:45 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I am thinking about this more and I am really frustrated with all of the doctors involved. Even theoretical doctors. Has anybody gotten advice on how not to spread HPV? Okay, condom, great. Nobody even clarified to me whether my HPV is covered by gardisil or not. I have had intercourse with women in my past and I don't know when I got HPV. Again, guilty feelings arise within me. Several other scenarios related to long-term relationships and their termination still exist. Say I were to break up with my husband. Should he form a new long-term relationship should he always use condoms then, too? Forever?

I don't really consider it now but a few months ago when all of this was happening I totally considered a hysterectomy. I didn't bring it up because it doesn't seem like much of an option. But if the HGSIL come up again I am going to be singing the H word like a ballad. That seems serious, doesn't it? Well, I already have a kid and I don't want to put away the option of never having sex with anybody else again on top of being at a higher risk for a super deadly cancer. If mine is covered by gardisil then I will only be able to see women that have had it. Otherwise we'll just have to play on the outside.

And I thought cold sores sucked. (PS, thanks for everybody's support again. I should write about this for Jezebel or something since the whole internet knows about my cervix now anyway.)

I found this paper titled, "Condom use promotes regression of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and clearance of human papillomavirus: A randomized clinical trial"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4/abstract
I am still reading it to figure out why the authors think this is true.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:31 pm 
Nailed to the V

Thanks for the reminder, I am 8 months overdue for my annual pap. Just made an appointment at planned parenthood for next week. Thanks for giving me a kick in the butt to get this done.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 6:07 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Sra. Nooch wrote:
I am thinking about this more and I am really frustrated with all of the doctors involved. Even theoretical doctors. Has anybody gotten advice on how not to spread HPV? Okay, condom, great. Nobody even clarified to me whether my HPV is covered by gardisil or not. I have had intercourse with women in my past and I don't know when I got HPV. Again, guilty feelings arise within me. Several other scenarios related to long-term relationships and their termination still exist. Say I were to break up with my husband. Should he form a new long-term relationship should he always use condoms then, too? Forever?

I don't really consider it now but a few months ago when all of this was happening I totally considered a hysterectomy. I didn't bring it up because it doesn't seem like much of an option. But if the HGSIL come up again I am going to be singing the H word like a ballad. That seems serious, doesn't it? Well, I already have a kid and I don't want to put away the option of never having sex with anybody else again on top of being at a higher risk for a super deadly cancer. If mine is covered by gardisil then I will only be able to see women that have had it. Otherwise we'll just have to play on the outside.

And I thought cold sores sucked. (PS, thanks for everybody's support again. I should write about this for Jezebel or something since the whole internet knows about my cervix now anyway.)

I found this paper titled, "Condom use promotes regression of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia and clearance of human papillomavirus: A randomized clinical trial"
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1 ... 4/abstract
I am still reading it to figure out why the authors think this is true.

I really feel your frustration. From what my doctors told me, condoms reduce, but don't eliminate the chance of getting HPV. You did everything you could.

There's a bit of a moral issue surrounding HPV. Many sexually active people with contract it astsome point in their lives (about 50% but some put it higher). If I ever have a different partner, I will feel obligated to tell them I have had abnormal paps. Then, they can decide if they want to continue without condoms. I feel most people will need to have a lesson in HPV to understand what that means. Most likely they have had it too, but just don't know. The thing that sucks is that as women, we are the ones to find out (unless the man develops warts). So we end up feeling bad about it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:20 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I've been very paranoid about STDs in the past. I think most people have awful misconceptions, and doctors' advice, is often questionable. I echo what everyone else is saying - get your PAP smears, and if you're sexually active, get tested! Even if you're with the same partner, you never know (especially with HPV) - throw in an STD test every other year, why not? Don't tell the other person if you don't want to.

Anyway, there is both low risk and high risk HPV. The low, in particular, is incredibly common to contract. The high risk HPV, for women, can cause cancer, yes. Another reason it is so incredibly important to get tested for these things. There is no cure for HPV, but there is effective treatment and you can consider surgery. I don't think you can ever guarantee that you won't have another break out, male or female - hence why you should tell future partners.. And as for condoms - it is totally terrifying that you can contract HPV with them!

p.s. the stigma associated with low risk, however, is ridiculous - I agree. Millions have this, and don't realize it, or ignore it (or treat it).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:50 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

I'll add fears of HPV to my list of reasons why I despise being a woman. It's not a gender identity thing either - more just frustrations with issues related to being a sexually-active person with lady parts. If it's not the risk of pregnancy, it's the risk of STD's or cancer or general period woes. Condoms don't protect against everything (or even really 100% against anything even when used properly). And condoms suck, as do periods and all forms of birth control short of getting one's tubes tied, which isn't an option since I'm only 23. Waah.

I didn't get Gardasil because my parents were convinced that it was unnecessary since they assumed I'd wait for marriage to have sex with a husband who would also be a virgin - now I'm 23 and have been sexually active for several years. Would it still be worth getting since I've never had an abnormal pap?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:05 pm 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

kale is your friend wrote:
.., now I'm 23 and have been sexually active for several years. Would it still be worth getting since I've never had an abnormal pap?

fork yeah. It is easy and (usually?) covered by insurance. Even if it's not, get it. This LEEP shiitake is costing me thousands of dollars sans insurance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 7:50 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Yes still worth getting!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:31 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Yep, get it! Even if you have strains of HPV, you should still get it to protect you from other high-risk strains.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:32 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Hello. I know this is an old thread but I didn't think I should start a new one. I'm terrified to google this stuff cause I know that can just make the stress worse. Anyway, I've had some abnormal paps for about 1 1/2 years and after this last one my doctor says I have dysplasia. I'm having a biopsy next month as well as an ultrasound to check for cysts (she thought she felt something funny during my last exam). So I guess I'm looking for a little support? I'm wavering between being terrified and cynical. One thing I'm really concerned about is my fertility. I know I'll have to wait to see what I learn from the ultrasound and biopsy but can these things affect your fertility? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:57 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I missed this thread the first time around, glad it got bumped. I just want to give some hope to those who are going through it - I had HPV and dysplasia when I was 17 and had a colposcopy followed by a cold cone biopsy (what they did before LEEP was more common). I had one more tiny outbreak with no cervical involvement when I had a new partner (who's now my husband) 13 years later, and nothing since then (5 years on). I can only assume the "new" outbreak was contracted from my husband but strangely it's never happened again, he's got nothing visible and all paps have been normal. There's a slightly mysterious aspect to HPV - it seems like some strains are more easily fought off and I've heard from a doctor that the virus can even disappear.

I've always told new partners about my history and I have to say, most of the response has been something like, "Oh well, it's so common."

As far as fertility goes, when I was in my early 20's some horrible nurse at PP told me I'd probably never be able to carry a child to term because my cervix wouldn't hold up. I lived with that fear for the next 10 years but finally had a NP who told me that was most likely untrue. I have a healthy two year old son and a baby on the way. I have heard that in some cases scar tissue can cause problems for cervical dilation during labor, but this doesn't seem to have been the case for me and I've talked to other moms with LEEPs/CCBs who also said it wasn't an issue.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:11 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Thank you Axel Foley!!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:59 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

Just another voice reminding everyone to please not put off getting a pap done. I put mine off longer than I should have and it came back with an aggressive bout of early cervical cancer. rock on. also, don't assume if your doctor doesn't seem concerned, you shouldn't be. mine knew I had early cancer for 3 months, and never told me until I asked. I considered a malpractice lawsuit, but it sounds like a major headache.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:20 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

Keep in mind that in 90% of all cases, HPV (there are about 40 strains of HPV) will clear itself from your body. Additionally, 50% of the population has some form of HPV. http://www.cdc.gov/std/hpv/stdfact-hpv.htm I read an article not too long ago (I wish I had a source I could link) that put in these terms: HPV is so prevalent that it is, at this point, a normal and expected part of the human condition. Not sure if I agree with that, but I do see what is meant by it.

I had a colposcopy and biopsy about six years ago because I had pre-cancerous cells and apparently HPV. The results came back ok, but I never went back to the gynecologist until just last month. I have no idea why I waited so long, and I know it was stupid, but I just didn't want to be told I had cancer (supremely stupid, huh?). I'm glad I finally went. I tested negative for HPV and had a totally normal pap. Talk about a relief! I carried that worry around for six years and all I had to do was make a simple appointment.

So, yeah, see your gyno regularly! I'm surprised at the recommendations for every three years. In the course of three years you can get cervical cancer (which is often symptomless until it is pretty far developed) and possibly die from it.

Sra Nooch, I'm sorry you are having to go through this. We're all here for you.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 147 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next