| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:51 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet peeves
PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:49 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

fresh_paint wrote:
Erinnerung wrote:
I just went out to dinner with the boyfriend and encountered one of my greatest peeves. I hate it when one person finishes eating first, and the waiter takes their plate away before the other person has finished eating. I'm always last to finish, and I hate sitting there eating with a plate of food in front of me while the other person sits opposite me with nothing. I know it's irrational, but it makes me feel rude to keep eating. Also, it makes me look like some kind of slave master who makes her partner watch her stuff her face with all the salt and pepper tofu on the table while he sits there hungry.

THIS! I eat slowly, too, and this makes me furious.

I'll add to waitstaff-related frustrations with this one: servers who loudly interrupt you mid-sentence to ask you how your food is. I know you have a lot of tables, but you could at least let me finish my thought.

Interrupting is a huge peeve of mine in general, though.

ok! and here is a server giving you what is really going on, in their minds: we are told to clear away dirty plates that people are finished with, so that clearing up after you leave goes faster. if your dirty napkin is atop your plate, that is usually a 'finished' signal. when i go out to eat and i'm done with my food and put my napkin on top, i'm glad when the server takes the plate away. at the point where my dirty napkin perches atop my gross, used plate, that plate becomes trash, and i do not want trash to sit in front of me at the dinner table. i feel like i'm doing someone a favor when i take their dirty plate away, whether everyone is done eating or not.

here's my (work related) pet peeve of the day: when people don't forking tip me. i know it sucks to tip and that we should make decent wages to being with, etc etc etc, but we don't and sometimes it's the only job we can find and people not tipping us 'on principle' doesn't mean i'm ever going to make more than $2 an hour from my employer.

eta: edited to say that we servers probably have twice as many pet peeves about the people who eat in restaurants as they do about us. waiting tables sucks. so hard.

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:28 pm 
Grandfathered In

I know that a server saying, "You still working on that?" is awful. What I hate more is, "How's everything tasting?" It's way too intimate. What if they asked, "How did the food feel as your tongue pushed it around your mouth?" To me, "How's everything tasting?" is veering too close to that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:32 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

FootFace wrote:
I know that a server saying, "You still working on that?" is awful. What I hate more is, "How's everything tasting?" It's way too intimate. What if they asked, "How did the food feel as your tongue pushed it around your mouth?" To me, "How's everything tasting?" is veering too close to that.

!! we really are supposed to ask how shiitake is tasting! we honestly do not care, but our bosses are watching!

55k usd is like 4 cad or whatever equivalent in beavers you use on the island - joshua

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:36 pm 
No-pants hermit 4 lyfe

FootFace wrote:
I know that a server saying, "You still working on that?" is awful. What I hate more is, "How's everything tasting?" It's way too intimate. What if they asked, "How did the food feel as your tongue pushed it around your mouth?"

i can't wait to break this question out at my next dinner party.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:41 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

FootFace wrote:

As a server, asking someone "How's everything tasting?" is just as intimate and disgusting... which is I don't ask that question.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:41 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

allularpunk wrote:
!! we really are supposed to ask how shiitake is tasting! we honestly do not care, but our bosses are watching!

You're a server too??

eta- I just read your post at the top of the page.

allularpunk wrote:
eta: edited to say that we servers probably have twice as many pet peeves about the people who eat in restaurants as they do about us. waiting tables sucks. so hard.

THIS.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:43 pm 
Dr Bronners, MD

thisheregiraffe wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

You're a server too??

i am and FML!

Awesome. Vegan. Rad.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 11:55 pm 
Fair trade, organic mistletoe

mrsbadmouth wrote:
Littering is never a crime of passion.

Sigged!

"But really, anyone willing to dangle their baby in front of a crocodile is A-OK in my book."~SSD

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:07 am 
So Totally Yiffy

FootFace wrote:
What I hate more is, "How's everything tasting?" It's way too intimate. What if they asked, "How did the food feel as your tongue pushed it around your mouth?" To me, "How's everything tasting?" is veering too close to that.

I don't think I have ever been asked that? It's just weird and a little creepy. Whats wrong with just a plain old "How is everything?"

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:27 am 
Grandfathered In

MessyCraftster wrote:
FootFace wrote:
What I hate more is, "How's everything tasting?" It's way too intimate. What if they asked, "How did the food feel as your tongue pushed it around your mouth?" To me, "How's everything tasting?" is veering too close to that.

I don't think I have ever been asked that? It's just weird and a little creepy. Whats wrong with just a plain old "How is everything?"

It's just too darn impersonal. I think I might need my servers to massage my belly and inspect my food as I chew it. It's like they say: No cares cares how much you know until they know how much you care.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:33 pm 
Lactose Intolerant...Literally

thisheregiraffe wrote:
allularpunk wrote:

You're a server too??

eta- I just read your post at the top of the page.

allularpunk wrote:

THIS.

I used to be a server it sucked!! Now i work in retail. I'm a glutton for punishment

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:26 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

when men leave the toilt seat up! I almost always fall in.

Bananas
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LH5ay10RTGY

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:28 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

When a business is closed and their "OPEN" sign is still on.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 6:06 pm 
Dying from Nooch Lung

the way my roommate raps her cooking utensil on the side of the pot or pan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:43 pm 
Had sex with a vampire that sparkles.

When someone says something unrelated on a facebook status (if it's like the first reply or something)

Ex.
My aunt's status: anyone know which stores will give you boxes for moving?
Aunt's friend comments: saw your mom/dad today. It was good to see them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:03 pm 
Dead by dawn

Fee wrote:
When someone says something unrelated on a facebook status (if it's like the first reply or something)

Ex.
My aunt's status: anyone know which stores will give you boxes for moving?
Aunt's friend comments: saw your mom/dad today. It was good to see them.

My mom does this all the time! Like she just wants to say hi or something. It irks me.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:18 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

fupapack wrote:
the way my roommate raps her cooking utensil on the side of the pot or pan

My sister does that. Very loudly.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 10:31 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

the way my husband does laundry. i appreciate that he tries, but how many times do i have to tell you to not put my underwear in the dryer? or that red is a separate load from blue? i admit i have a lot of bugaboos about laundry and how it's done, though, so pretty much no matter what he does it will in some way be wrong. but my underwear!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 10:00 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

Writing teachers who say that similes are different from metaphors. Similes are metaphors. They are a specific type of metaphor! Not all metaphors are similes, but all similes are metaphors. I know everyone's 3rd grade English teacher taught them this, but it's wrong. I'm taking a songwriting class right now and the instructor is going on about how similes are different from metaphors, which is wrong! But I don't want to be a jerk and correct him. Even though I know I'm right.. So I'll just vent here and move on. :)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 2:58 am 
The Real Hamburger Helper

choirqueer wrote:
Writing teachers who say that similes are different from metaphors. Similes are metaphors. They are a specific type of metaphor! Not all metaphors are similes, but all similes are metaphors. I know everyone's 3rd grade English teacher taught them this, but it's wrong. I'm taking a songwriting class right now and the instructor is going on about how similes are different from metaphors, which is wrong! But I don't want to be a jerk and correct him. Even though I know I'm right.. So I'll just vent here and move on. :)
Similes are a kind of metaphor... so they are different in the same way that tigers and different from cats... I guess.

You should write a song about it, though. Show him who da boss.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:34 pm 
Memorized Veganomicon

People who meet long lost friends in supermarkets, and proceed to have long winded reunions in the middle of the aisle....on a saturday afternoon....and then they continue to do this in Every. Single. Aisle. Seriously? There's a Starbucks right across the forking street! Catch up over some coffee, and let me shop without having to awkwardly reach around you for that can of beans. JESUS.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:43 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

choirqueer wrote:
... I'm taking a songwriting class right now...

Oh, I would LOVE to do that! I really wish there was something like that around here, or that I was any good at all at writing songs on my own, I've genuinely been trying and I genuinely stink at it! Please send tips my way, if you can?

"and by "load of facts" you mean a bag of flaming poop, right?" - supercarrot

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:50 pm 
Naked Under Apron

When my students pronounce the word "pattern" as patteren." How many forking times a day do I have to say "it's PAT-turn not PAT-tur-REN!"

Writing Praying Vegan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:00 pm 
Should Spend More Time Helping the Animals

dropscone wrote:
choirqueer wrote:
... I'm taking a songwriting class right now...

Oh, I would LOVE to do that! I really wish there was something like that around here, or that I was any good at all at writing songs on my own, I've genuinely been trying and I genuinely stink at it! Please send tips my way, if you can?

It's online! www.berkleemusic.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:46 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

When people call tacos "burritos" it really drives me out of my mind. Burritos are different dammit!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 229 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next