| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Tell me non-frightening c section stories
PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:59 am 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

I too had a planned c-section with my twin boys for the very same reason (breech baby); however, I had to have them delivered a tad earlier due to a dramatic loss of fluid in my 37th week.

I was surprised at how easy my recovery was. Initially I was disappointed that I could not have a natural birth like I had with my daughter, but I got over it. My boys were born healthy, I recovered very quickly and didn't even need pain meds after about 4 days. It didn't interfere with my ability to nurse the boys either (nursed them for over a year and a half). Overall a great experience (I think because I was expecting the worst). I thought I'd be bed-ridden and I wasn't at all.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:17 pm 
Bought 20lbs of vegan protein powder

The very worst thing about my c-section was that I didn't know I'd need one so I had to go into labor (for 20 or so hours) and THEN get one. Also when they tried to get the epidural in they were digging their fingers into my spine. Really, those were the worst parts. It's all very fuzzy and I don't remember the horrible stuff much, so after, all you'll think is "hurray, baby!" :) (BabIES)

"It's because I'm judging them. Harshly. Judgey McJudgerson." - mel c

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:54 pm 
Saggy Butt

appifanie wrote:
The very worst thing about my c-section was that I didn't know I'd need one

yes, definitely! all the bad stuff about my c-section is linked to the fact that it was unexpected & so there was a time crunch. but yours is all planned & everything, so i'm sure it'll go smoothly &, importantly, at the end you'll have two adorable babies to snuggle!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 2:23 am 
Brain Made of Raw Seitan

I did not get a c-section but they had me sign papers for one between contractions. Once I started pushing they were getting real serious about it and I thought, "Just cut this thing out already!" But my thought contained a lot swear words and a mental image of my pregnant self killing everybody in the room. In fact, almost two years later, a planned c-section sounds great! No agonizing over when the little dudes or dudettes will appear. I do hope you get nesting, though! I didn't.

Good luck with everything and no matter what I hope you are all together and happy as a new family.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:47 am 
Wears Pleather Undies

I had 2 emergency c-sections for different reasons with both of my girls while living in Holland where the c-section rate is 7% nationally. I knew I needed them. I won't tell you the scary bits, but the important thing was I got great care and had healthy babies each time.

My best advice is eat a lot of dried fruit after the surgery to help you poop. It was great advice for me!

The other thing I would suggest is that you get one of those C shaped breastfeeding pillows, because your stomach will be too sore to support the baby's weight.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:23 pm 
ol' garly cooch

had one. baby is fine. i did fine. recovery was a little difficult-(you can't do ANYTHING for a little while--listen to those doctors!). it was an amazing opportunity to let others take care of me, something i'm not very graceful about. i'm the caretaker.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2010 12:47 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

congrats on your twins!!

I haven't personally had a c-section so I won't offer any insight there.

If you are feeling iffy on it, have you thought about asking them to let you go into labor before doing the section? So you get to experience a little bit of both? Might make things feel more natural. And might be nice to know the babies were done cooking.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:49 pm 
Tofu Pup

I had an unplanned C-section after +20 hours of labor with a doula and a midwife with a planned water-birth at a hospital.
As we rolled into hour 23 of labor I consented to a vacuum assist from my OB since kiddo's head was apparently stuck...you could see it when I was pushing but not progressing further. My pelvis is so mighty that it broke the vacuum (yes, you read that right. we broke medical equipment) and I consented to the c-section on advisement of my doula & midwife. It remains a great disappointment to me.

My OB and the attendants were awesome during the surgery. They were very sensitive to the fact that I wanted a normal birth. They kept me apprised of what was going on and tried to keep me involved in the process. Among the most unusual compliments I've ever received was "wow, you've got great abs...you're a sure candidate for a VBAC" from my OB as he was dissecting me. My midwife took video for us and my husband was able to hold him immediately.

The big bummer was that my surgery bumped back someone delivering twins. There was some kind of administrative mixup with the twins that kept the nurses busy and I was unable to hold my baby until four hours after the surgery. Fortunately the hospital stuck to my birth plan (didn't offer formula) and kiddo latched like a champ.

I had a great recovery. I was on my feet in 24 hours and surfing about 3 weeks post-op. I had some lingering pain for 5 days after surgery and had some difficulty climbing stairs during that time. I just slept on the couch with baby Nat in the cosleeper next to me.

Congrats on your twins and best of luck on your surgery!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:41 pm 
Tofu Pup

I had mono/di boys 16 months ago. Baby A was in the correct position, but Baby B was laying transverse across his brother..in such a way that contractions would have broken his back.

the worse part of the c-section was my husband singing.

It was straightforward, the doctors and nurses were so busy with the babies and the surgery, the only person talking to me was the anesthesiologist, so make friends with them fast!

the scar is not bad, i nursed for a little over a year, i nursed within the first hour. If i was to have any more i would have a c section again...not an option now, but it was a good experience, and my doc warned me about a VBAC not being safe in my case.

the only thing is no one held the babies up for me to see, i was expecting that, and it worried me when it did not happen. The anesthesiologist explained that holding up the babies is a thing you see in movies, not in real life.

also, get a easy-2-nurse pillow before you have those boys.

you are in for the best ride of your life!!!