| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:36 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next
 Post subject: Re: cloth diapering
PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:32 am 
And you never will.

coldandsleepy wrote:
I am the laziest cloth diaperer ever, and I can own that.

I bet I could give you one helluva run for your money.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:49 am 
Married to the wolfman

poopiebitch wrote:
coldandsleepy wrote:
I am the laziest cloth diaperer ever, and I can own that.

I bet I could give you one helluva run for your money.

The only time I run is for the (vegan) ice cream truck.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:31 am 
Should Write a Goddam Book Already

sometimes i wash my diapers on the sanitary setting of my washer. it's just super hot water. that is as close as i've gotten to disinfecting them...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:13 am 
Level 7 Vegan

Okay, thanks! I've just read in a few places (the Green Mtn. Diapers literature, the Charlie's soap container...) that you need to disinfect monthly in addition to regular washing. I'm playing around with my wash routine to see if I can get Walt's rash to clear up--maybe an extra soak and a second extra rinse and some occasional vinegar will get the nastiness and soap out. If that doesn't work I'll change detergents. I have super sensitive skin so I wouldn't be surprised if Walter reacts to supposedly hypoallergenic soaps.

On another note: I hate velcro covers! The tops always turn in on themselves and scratch Walt's stomach and make him scream. I have one velcro thirsties duo, but once he outgrows that we'll be exclusively snaps!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:29 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

I disinfected my diapers with 1/4 cup bleach because the bum Geniuses had started to smell. I was amazed to see it also made the stains completely disappear from my other cotton diapers too. Everything came out sparkling!

I hate using bleach, but we had some on hand for disenfrcting a humidifier anyway, so I tried it (after i read on the bg website that's what you should do). 1/4 cup 1x month doesn't seem like too much I suppose.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:00 am 
Making Threats to Punks Again

Mitten, it sounds like you need to strip your diapers- for me doing them with a drop or two of dawn and watching to see when they rinsed and washed with no suds did a great job with that. i don't know anything about sanitizing dipes and have never done it, but i stripped mine a couple times when i was trying to fig everything out with my soft water at the old house and my son kept getting rashes. Unless you count sunning, i haven't even thought of sanitizing beyond a hot water wash, and i only do that in the summer. in iowa sun has been at a minimum since september. I don't have a he machine though, so my options are a little limited.

To get out stains, I dry them by a window in my laundry room (after 10 mins in the dryer- i like soft diapers). in my old house, my front room got lots of light in the morning and that took care of stains (the sun) on dipes and covers even in darkest winter. Now that the little man eats lots of solids and i rinse his dipes, i find the covers are the only things that get stained. its only inside, and i don't worry too much, although i try to get them the light i can, it also helps if i get them inot the wash soon after a poop, but i'm not great at that. The stains do seem to fade over time.

I'm also not a fan of velcro, my thristie duo velcro is all ratty now- totally workable and i am sure they will last through pottylearning, but the strip in the front has lifted. i bought some snap covers from a local wahm which i love sooo much more (fun prints too) and i have some pull up recycled wool covers from her that we use for night (the only way i found that was rash free and leakproof for my little man for 12 hour nights. I know the covers are not a very vegan option, but i feel okay about it, since its recycled).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:20 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

if your getting rash it is usually one of two things, detergent buildup or snythetics in your diapers. Since you are using prefolds mostly, you should not have much of the problem with the synthetics/micros build up allergies or buildups.

I agree, stripping the diapers sounds in order to help remove the residuals.

I used/LOVED prefolds way back in 1990 for my first and again in 99-2004 for my next children. They were our primary diaper. Combined with a Nikky cover you could not find a disposable that could match the absorbency. Today I manufacture using sustainable Hemp and cotton as my primary fibers. I have lots of bamboo velour, but have issues with the harvesting practices and don't construct my diaper line with this or any synthetic fiber use.

I would second the washing info at the Diaper Jungle. Its been around for a long time. While there are some good resources at the Diaper Swappers site, I would caution you to not believe everything you read there. I have been there since the original board before April 06 when the current board came about, 4 years after I became a manufacturer of cloth diapers. Honestly, there is some info there that is less than worthy of wiping my arse with. I do circle the Green forum...I like it there.

Here is our RDIA Industry wide recommendations for diaper washing if you need help.
http://eapoos.com/pages/DiaperCare.php

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:56 pm 
Naked Under Apron

our main problem with the cloth diapers has always been the fit! we started out with several BumGenius for nights and a plentiful amount of cheapy pocket diapers for general wearing. We were totally happy until Dahlia reached a growth point where the pocket diapers leaked at the legs all the time despite being tight enough elsewhere, so we tried out prefolds with Thirsty (original) covers...I am now a total prefold convert, they rule but we still have sizing problems with the covers! Dahlia is about 25lbs but the Medium Thirsty cover is comically big and mega-sags as soon as it is damp, and the Smalls are just a touch too small. I love the double-gusset feature and we've continued to use the Medium covers, just not if we're going out in public haha. I've been meaning to try the newer Thirsty Duos or whatever but I'm being cheap and just making do with what we have, since I don't even know if the Duos will fit her any better either.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:12 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

Audrey wrote:
our main problem with the cloth diapers has always been the fit! we started out with several BumGenius for nights and a plentiful amount of cheapy pocket diapers for general wearing. We were totally happy until Dahlia reached a growth point where the pocket diapers leaked at the legs all the time despite being tight enough elsewhere, so we tried out prefolds with Thirsty (original) covers...I am now a total prefold convert, they rule but we still have sizing problems with the covers! Dahlia is about 25lbs but the Medium Thirsty cover is comically big and mega-sags as soon as it is damp, and the Smalls are just a touch too small. I love the double-gusset feature and we've continued to use the Medium covers, just not if we're going out in public haha. I've been meaning to try the newer Thirsty Duos or whatever but I'm being cheap and just making do with what we have, since I don't even know if the Duos will fit her any better either.

Try a different cover! We had the same issue with the regular thirsties. They sagged horribly until Ezra hit 28lbs. The thirsties duo with snaps fit a lot better - they stay up better and I feel like we get a better fit with them.
My favorites are bummis super brights (a medium has fit Ezra from 18lbs until now) - they're definitely not low-cut and I think they're made out of a thicker material to help keep everything contained. I also like pro-raps and imse vimse. I know it's not cheap to keep trying covers, but a lot of the online sites allow you to try them for a month and have free returns if they don't work out. Don't lose hope, there's definitely the perfect cover out there for you!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:30 pm 
Married to the wolfman

flavabean wrote:
My favorites are bummis super brights (a medium has fit Ezra from 18lbs until now) - they're definitely not low-cut and I think they're made out of a thicker material to help keep everything contained. I also like pro-raps and imse vimse. I know it's not cheap to keep trying covers, but a lot of the online sites allow you to try them for a month and have free returns if they don't work out. Don't lose hope, there's definitely the perfect cover out there for you!

I love the Bummis for overnight... we have one size L one and it is huuuuuuuuuuuuuge. Perfect for stuffing the gigantic diapers we use for overnight into.

I don't like them for daytimes because of how high they go and how thick the material is. His pants don't fit very well over them and they don't seem to flex too well when he's busy running around.

Also, great garbanzos, I can't believe Ezra is up to 28 lbs! He's getting to be such a big guy. And that's awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:13 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Mittenmacher- Just a thought about the diaper rash- if you're putting a zinc based cream on Walter and his rash still doesn't seem to go away, it might be a yeast rash, in which case the regular cream will only make it worse. Try using the canestan yeast infection cream for ladies (the external stuff). It's very gentle, and clears rashes up in a snap.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Thanks for the ideas, everybody. The rash seems to be clearing up. I added a presoak and a second extra rinse to my wash routine, with vinegar in the second to last rinse. The diapers are much softer. It looks like soap residue was the culprit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:33 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

Aubade wrote:
I disinfected my diapers with 1/4 cup bleach because the bum Geniuses had started to smell. I was amazed to see it also made the stains completely disappear from my other cotton diapers too. Everything came out sparkling!

I hate using bleach, but we had some on hand for disenfrcting a humidifier anyway, so I tried it (after i read on the bg website that's what you should do). 1/4 cup 1x month doesn't seem like too much I suppose.

Please make sure you read the individual manufacturers policies for all your diapers With some of the diaper manufacturers, bleach nulls and voids any type of warrenty on the diapers.
Info on bleach from Linda's page: http://www.happyheinys.com/care-and-siz ... ys-diapers
here is Teresen's page info on bleach: http://www.fuzzibunz.com/faq.php#wash11
bum genius notes that caustic material use voids warrenty. Bleach is made from chlorine and caustic soda. http://www.bumgenius.com/help.php

I personally won't cover items abused by bleach. I use high end organics, cotton, bamboo and hemp fibers, bleach breaks down the fiber and destroys the product. You should tiptoe carefully around the use of TTO also.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:28 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I did see that bg has bleach use noted. This makes no sense to me with their warrenty policies.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:30 am 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Yeah as I said in my original post, I just followed instructions from the bg website. Go figure. Thanks for the heads up about using it on other diapers. Luckily it didn't seem to hurt any of the other ones I washed with it though. Although next time he peed in the diapers I did seem to notice a faint bleachy smell, which can't be good. Hopefully I won't have to do it to often to the bg's, and I'll definitely add an extra rinse if I do. Thankfully he hasn't had any kind of rash yet at all.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:30 pm 

Aubade, just a note on the avatar- that boy is so gorgeous!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:49 pm 

What other items do you wash your diapers with, if anything? Do you wash your diapers and covers together? Do you wash your diapers, covers, and clothes together?

I'm ultra lazy, so I wash Lydia's diapers with the covers, plus the clothes of hers and mine that can be washed in hot water. She's not eating food yet, so I figure that the runny breastfed poo washes out easily enough that I shouldn't worry about washing everything together. Am I being super gross?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:51 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I wash the diapers, covers, diaper pail liner, cloth wipes, and any clothes that got poop on them. I hang dry the covers and the liner.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:53 pm 

helbury wrote:
What other items do you wash your diapers with, if anything? Do you wash your diapers and covers together? Do you wash your diapers, covers, and clothes together?

I'm ultra lazy, so I wash Lydia's diapers with the covers, plus the clothes of hers and mine that can be washed in hot water. She's not eating food yet, so I figure that the runny breastfed poo washes out easily enough that I shouldn't worry about washing everything together. Am I being super gross?

that sounds fine by me, i have at times done this, but usually i have a full load of dipes, covers, cloth wipes and maybe the bag liner ( i only have one, so i wash it maybe every 2-3 loads). I used to dry everything together too, when i did dry (maybe 1/2 the time??) but now i pull out the covers because they are getting natty.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:56 pm 
And you never will.

mittenmacher wrote:
I wash the diapers, covers, diaper pail liner, cloth wipes, and any clothes that got poop on them. I hang dry the covers and the liner.

This, exactly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:09 pm 
Married to the wolfman

helbury wrote:

... Am I being super gross?

If you're gross, I am too! I do diapers and covers together always. When the Emperor had breastmilk poo, I would almost always round out the load with some of his clothes and sometimes my own.

Then he went through sort of a transition poop age... I would often have to wipe chunks of poop that wouldn't come off the diapers ahead of time out of the washing machine afterwards. That was um, nasty, and I didn't do clothes in with his diapers during that period.

Now his poops usually shake right off of his diapers and they're more or less clean (aside from pee) when they go in the washer so I'm starting to throw other laundry in there again too.

I'm more likely to mix things up when I dry stuff outside (75% of the year) because I figure even if they smell a little like pee or something, they'll get a good breeze while they're drying and loose all the stink.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:46 pm 
So Totally Yiffy

I washed diapers, wipes, covers and anything related in the same load of laundry.
Not that I considered myself lazy....I had no dryer for a year with two in diapers so definitely not that, its just that it made sense to wash them together for me.
Water conservation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:24 pm 
Nooch of Earl

I don't have personal experience to contribute but after talking to a friend who's been through the cloth diaper routine a few times, I changed my planned "all pre-fold all the time" stance to a combo of prefold and pocket diapers.

Apparently the pockets are great for overnight, since you can stuff them with extra inserts or more absorbent inserts or whatever. She also directed me towards http://jilliansdrawers.com/ , which has a trial set where you can try out a bunch of brands before committing. As far as I can tell, brand loyalty is basically a religious issue and babies vary in how they fit a given brand, so I'm a little scared to buy a lot before trying them.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:44 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

I wash diapers, wipes, and cloth pads together. or any soiled underwear of henry's from an accident.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:10 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

jildez wrote:
Aubade, just a note on the avatar- that boy is so gorgeous!

Aww thanks!

I wash just diapers, covers and bags together. I dry them with a load of clothes (that I washed separately) because they seem to dry much quicker that way.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1320 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 53  Next