| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 10:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Quick and Easy Vegan Celebrations
PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 7:59 am 
Saggy Butt

The 80's wrote:
Scruffleupagus wrote:
I might even see if I can't find a stuffing mix that is vegan (with alterations, of course... Better than bullion instead of beef/chicken broth, etc).

Have you checked out the Corn Bread stuffing recipe on page 175? That's the one I'm making. I mixed the dry ingredients together and will be finishing it tonight. Looks like it's going to be delish!

I am actually making that. I was just going to see if there was one I could use to make today's cooking a bit easier, but when I REALLY thought about it I decided having good stuffing was more important. :-)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:52 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

I made the tourkey cutlets and sage gravy (for the first time) and the green bean casserole (for the billionth time) for my T'giving. My omni best friend loved everything. She was glad Mike didn't like the green beans so we could eat the rest the next day. It was all delicious, and the gravy was super easy. In fact, I just remembered we still have leftovers. I might need to make more tourkey cutlets!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:29 am 
Huffs Nooch

making po boys and a host of other things like the hurricane, the potato gratin the hogies

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:04 am 
Saggy Butt

rachell37 wrote:
I made the tourkey cutlets and sage gravy (for the first time) and the green bean casserole (for the billionth time) for my T'giving. My omni best friend loved everything. She was glad Mike didn't like the green beans so we could eat the rest the next day. It was all delicious, and the gravy was super easy. In fact, I just remembered we still have leftovers. I might need to make more tourkey cutlets!

Those tourkey cutlets are friggin' amazing... I might make some after my class today for lunch or something... Mmmmmmm. Tourkey sammich...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:23 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I really liked the au gratin potatoes really quick and easy ....will def make this again

PostPosted: Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:51 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

I was looking at this one AND Party Vegan by Robin Robertson and am not sure which to get. I don;t really have a lot of parties so this would be more for recipes I can make ahead and take for lunches. Anybody have both books and can comment on which is better/easier for a not so great cook?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:48 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

I got this with some of my Christmas money. Practically everything in the book sounds good, but the first thing I plan on cooking is the Huevos Rancheros.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:53 am 
Chard Martyr

Challah bread = absolutely incredible.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:12 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I made the baked tofu sticks the other day and they were a huge hit. I will probably try making the recipe a few times using various seasonings.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:45 am 
Saggy Butt

ficbot wrote:
I was looking at this one AND Party Vegan by Robin Robertson and am not sure which to get. I don;t really have a lot of parties so this would be more for recipes I can make ahead and take for lunches. Anybody have both books and can comment on which is better/easier for a not so great cook?

I definitely vote for Vegan Celebrations. I seriously have loved anything and everything I've made from Alicia's books. There is a Quick & Easy Vegan Bake Sale that I seriously almost can't wait for it to come out... I'm not sure who Carla Kelly is, but I've been so impressed by the other Quick & Easy Vegan books that I'm sure it will be nothing short of fantastic. I wish I knew how to become a tester - I'd be all over this book.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:18 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Scruffleupagus wrote:
I definitely vote for Vegan Celebrations. I seriously have loved anything and everything I've made from Alicia's books. There is a Quick & Easy Vegan Bake Sale that I seriously almost can't wait for it to come out... I'm not sure who Carla Kelly is, but I've been so impressed by the other Quick & Easy Vegan books that I'm sure it will be nothing short of fantastic. I wish I knew how to become a tester - I'd be all over this book.

She's a PPKer! But her book, as far as I know, has nothing to do with Alicia's books.

I made the roasted red pepper cornbread (which I made as a tester), the black-eyed peas, and the spinach variation of the garlic green beans (which I think is mentioned in Vegan Comfort Food) for NY Day dinner. It was delicious, and probably the only time I really liked black-eyed peas. (I have to say, even though I confirmed with Alicia that you are supposed to put the beans in dry, I still soaked mine for a few hours, and they turned out perfect.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:17 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Scruffleupagus wrote:

That is me!!
We have the same publisher, and the same theme of quick and easy has come from the publisher.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:50 am 
Hoards Peppermint Jo-Jos

We tried the Huevos Rancheros last night. As far as I was concerned, they were awesome, but the kids didn't like them as much. (Other than tacos, burritos, etc, Mexican and Mexican-inspired recipes tend to be hit or miss with them, so this isn't all that surprising.)

Oh well, that means more for my dinner tonight while they're at their dad's for the evening!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:14 am 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Whoa - laissez bon temps roulet(sp.?)
I made the king cake for my husband's co-worker from New Orleans for Fat Tuesday and it was freakin' awesome! Also made the jambalaya and it was really good too! Yay, Alicia!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:36 am 
Not NOT A Furry

I didn't know there was a King Cake recipe in this book or else I would have asked for it for my birthday! The next time I buy a cookbook, I think this will definitely be at the top of the list.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:24 pm 
Huffs Nooch

I have never in my life had King Cake. Is it just a stuffed layered cake? Is my life significantly poorer for never having tasted it?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:48 pm 
Not NOT A Furry

Well, I'm originally from Baton Rouge, LA, so it definitely holds a special place in my heart. It's more like a coffee cake/danishy style thing.

The basis is a yeast risen sweet dough that's filled with the desired filling, like cinnamon (tastes very like a cinnamon roll in that case), fruit filling, cream cheese, etc. They get pretty crazy with the different varieties. The whole thing is shaped into a large oval ring and topped with a simple glaze and colored sugar in purple, green, and gold. The sugar gives the top a lot of crunch but also diabetes-inducing sweetness... Haha.

Traditionally, a plastic baby is hidden inside somewhere and whoever gets that in their piece either has good luck or is supposed to buy the next King Cake, depending on who you're talking to. :P

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:03 pm 
Trapped On A Desert Island With A Cow

ficbot wrote:

I checked both out at the library to 'test' them and I ended up buying Vegan Celebrations because the recipes in it are more regular appetizer, dinner, etc. type things that I will (and do!) actually cook. I have loved all the recipes I tried from the book and they are all easy and come together well. The Party Vegan book had a lot of fancier, nice looking recipes in it but they really were set up for parties, some had lots of prep/make ahead steps and I just don't cook that way nor do I ever host a party, ha ha. It sounds from your post like you would benefit more from Vegan Celebrations like I did.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:20 pm 
Thinks Plants Have Feelings

If the author is reading this, I would like to request that it be made available in kindle form. I have sort of promised my partner not to buy anymore cookbooks that take up space in the house....pretty please! thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:03 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

Freetahtah wrote:
Well, I'm originally from Baton Rouge, LA, so it definitely holds a special place in my heart. It's more like a coffee cake/danishy style thing.

The basis is a yeast risen sweet dough that's filled with the desired filling, like cinnamon (tastes very like a cinnamon roll in that case), fruit filling, cream cheese, etc. They get pretty crazy with the different varieties. The whole thing is shaped into a large oval ring and topped with a simple glaze and colored sugar in purple, green, and gold. The sugar gives the top a lot of crunch but also diabetes-inducing sweetness... Haha.

Traditionally, a plastic baby is hidden inside somewhere and whoever gets that in their piece either has good luck or is supposed to buy the next King Cake, depending on who you're talking to. :P

I'd say this recipe is enough reason to get the book! Yummy!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:02 pm 
Crazy bat lady

Millenijen wrote:
If the author is reading this, I would like to request that it be made available in kindle form. I have sort of promised my partner not to buy anymore cookbooks that take up space in the house....pretty please! thanks!

PM her on here: GuineaPig

She's also FaceBook: Alicia Simpson

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:06 pm 
Crazy bat lady

I'll also add that if anyone is leaning toward making the Chocolate Stout Cupcakes with Whiskey Frosting for St. patrick's day this week you will NOT be sorry. yummmmmmmmmmmy!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:18 am 
Saggy Butt

I just got this for Xmas, I'm kind of excited to try the Mac & Cheese. Everything looks very tempting, it's hard to pick where to start.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 5:03 am 
Saggy Butt

Has anyone cooked the recipes with Lobster mushrooms in them? I'm going to try the Asian supermarket for dried ones, but any suggestions on substituing them?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:11 pm 
Inflexitarian

darksideknitter wrote:
Has anyone cooked the recipes with Lobster mushrooms in them? I'm going to try the Asian supermarket for dried ones, but any suggestions on substituing them?

You can also find dried lobster mushrooms online, i bought mine from amazon although I have to say that when I made the dishes with fresh lobster mushrooms the taste was one hundred times better. I would suggest trying oyster mushrooms in place of lobster mushrooms if you can't find them but I haven't actually made this substitution myself for the dishes in Vegan Celebrations.