| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:48 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Traveling with a baby
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 9:14 am 
Because Bob Barker Told Me To

I would go for a day flight! When Dax first flew (around 7 months I think) he slept almost the entire flight even though it wasn't during his usual naptime. Our flight was only about 3 hours though.
Does he sleep on long car rides? How he is in the car may be a good indicator of how he will do on the plane. (Maybe.)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:11 am 
And you never will.

poopiebaby hates the car, but since I was able to hold him and nurse him the entire time, he slept almost the whole (10 hour) overnight flight on the way to England. He was awake quite a bit on the daytime flight when we came home, which was really tiring for me because I had to keep him entertained, but he was good for the most part. I nursed him during takeoffs and landings, but to be honest the pressure didn't seem to bother him much, if at all.

So, in my personal experience, overnight was the way to go - but I'm sure he'll do fine with either!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 10:14 am 
And you never will.

Oh yeah, and my one other piece of advice is that if you use a Boppy or something similar, take it on the plane with you. I would have been pretty miserable and achy if I hadn't had the Boppy to help support poopiebaby during the long flight!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:36 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

as a general parenting rule, I don't mess with bedtime. We always fly during the day, as early in the morning as possible so we have time to get settled wherever we end up.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:38 am 
Dislikes Rick Santorum

what can people tell me about traveling with a 1+ year old?
my in laws have a time share and have extra weeks they havent used so they gave a week away to each kid. so we can stay somewhere at a Marriott Resort for free as long as we pay for everything else and the resort has availability.
we have to use it some time before november.
realistically we wont be going for a few months so BabyPunk would be over a year old. so i guess that would make her a toddler?

things ive heard about traveling with a toddler do not make me anxious to attempt this.

the biggest factor we are bound by is cost as we really have no money to be doing this but we do have a litttle bit of savings for vacation and the thing i miss most about having a baby and not working/being independent is traveling. the other thing is we can only go obviously where there is availability so that limits us so basically we are picking from leftovers. (ie there is no availability on Cape Cod in the summer months as that would have been great, just an hour or so drive)

right now BP pretty much goes wherever we go and does whatever we do but im thinking at about a year old we will be more limited. my two thoughts were hiking or the beach.

we could go to the Poconos, it's about a 4-5 hour drive. there's a big waterfall (Bushkill Falls) and lots of hiking. we could hike as much as BP lets us. i can put her in the ergo and we can also just like let her explore at her own pace.
however my husband seems to think the Poconos is "a joke" and where rich people from NYC go. i told him that is the Hamptons but he thinks the Poconos is stupid. NO IDEA WHY. i dont know anything about the Poconos other than its in the mountains and seems like a naturey area. if anyone has been to the Poconos and would like to tell my husband he's wrong FEEL FREE!
since it is within driving range we wouldnt have to worry about flying or having to lug a car seat with us since it would just be in the car. we wouldnt have to rent a car either and i have a Prius so gas prices would be lower.

the other place that wouldnt be toooo bad and would be a niftier place to go is Bermuda. we would have to fly obviously sooooo im scared at that idea with a toddler but it's a really short flight from Boston. looks like 2.5 hours or so. not sure what one does with a one year old in Bermuda but seems like hanging out at the beach and playing in the sand would be fun????

the resort rooms all have full ktichens and laundry so we could cook for ourselves (another benefit to driving somewhere we bring our own groceries) and do baby laundry and i could even use her cloth diapers and do laundry there.

i guess my big questions are what do i need to think about in terms of traveling with a one year old. i keep thinking that im not sure what she will want to do/tolerate. me and my husband definitely had a very specific travel style which was on the go constantly. we were always doing something and going somewhere and hiking long hours or walking around cities site seeing. i dont think we will be able to do that with a one year old so im a bit baffled what people do if they are not constantly on the go.

also if anyone has a good suggestion for family vacation spot on the eastern seaboard of the US or not too far up into Canada or a short flight from Boston im all ears.
some of the places that have Marriott Resorts are Virginia Beach, Myrtle Beach, HIlton Head SC, Hershey PA. i dont know anything about any of these places.

i wanted to go to California but i dont think im ready to brave a cross country flight with a one year old.

of course none of this might even happen becuase of finances but at least i can look into it.