| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next
 Post subject: Re: new WW plan coming out soon
PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:07 pm 
WRETCHED

I had a total fail day yesterday. It is ok but I need to figure how to not let school stuff stress me. I didn't track at all. Today is better and will continue to be better.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:47 pm 
Nailed to the V

linanil wrote:
I had a total fail day yesterday. It is ok but I need to figure how to not let school stuff stress me. I didn't track at all. Today is better and will continue to be better.

Good for you for not letting a fail day get you down!

I am down 2.2 on the new plan, which is kind of what I was losing on the old plan. Weeeeee!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:38 pm 
The Real Hamburger Helper

I've been doing pretty well. Even though I eat more on weekends, I've been working out 6 days a week, and I'm doing really well during the week. I've realized I can have my points allowance and still lose a bit of weight each week. Keeping track is helping me realize when I tend to eat, and where I can work on things.

For some reason, points are way easier than counting daily calories. I think it's because I can look at a whole week, and see that I have some extra wiggle room to use more points on certain days, instead of having one bad day, saying "fork it," and stopping.

I hit a pretty hard plateau, and I've broken it pretty well! Also, I found these boxes of mini-luna bars. They're only 1 point each, and great for those 3:00 pm crashes/sweet cravings with a piece of fruit. They're pretty small, but I don't need a big bar to satisfy a craving. If it's there, though, I'll eat the whole thing and my snack turns into a meal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:58 am 
Married to the wolfman

designedtobekind wrote:
For some reason, points are way easier than counting daily calories. I think it's because I can look at a whole week, and see that I have some extra wiggle room to use more points on certain days, instead of having one bad day, saying "fork it," and stopping.

Yeah, I think it's easier too. For whatever reason, I don't get sucked into crazy eating disordered behavior (something I am very susceptible to) with points-- maybe because the program tells me how many I need and I go by that.

And mini-Luna bars! COOL!

Today was a pretty great day for me foodwise, which I'm excited about. Because I was home sick and it is SO easy to just eat whatever when I feel crappy... but I made the effort and ended up eating really wholesome and really satisfying food.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:49 am 
protein lump

designedtobekind wrote:
I've been doing pretty well. Even though I eat more on weekends, I've been working out 6 days a week, and I'm doing really well during the week. I've realized I can have my points allowance and still lose a bit of weight each week. Keeping track is helping me realize when I tend to eat, and where I can work on things.

yes. exactly.

my first week went pretty well. starting to track again made me realize that i need to start cooking more.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 2:27 pm 

"fork it" has never been a more appropriate filter. Ha.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:45 am 
Loves Carrots (in the biblical sense)

I finally decided to sign up today. I hope that the new plan will be a little more conducive to healthy eating for me, and I hope I'll ditch it if it's not!

A tip: don't know if this will work in other countries, but for WW Canada I got an extra $20 off sign-up when I signed into my old profile rather than going through the link on the main page. If anyone is thinking of signing up, might be worth creating a profile first to see if you get a deal.

Off to look up soy curl points!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:23 pm 

I'm still doing it, in combination with lots of exercise, and it's working well for me. I still like it a lot better than counting calories. I know that it's the same concept, but the "free" fruits and vegetables, and ease of looking at which days I tend to eat more helps me make better choices. So now, when I go out, I skip the white rice, I skip the extra bread at dinner, and load up on veggies, and mostly snack on fruits. Seeing the activity points add up is pretty cool, too.

1 serving of soy curls = 2 points! I was excited about that.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:34 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

I've always been confused as to how one measures a serving of soy curls. Dry? Soaked? By weight?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:39 pm 

I just assumed it was 3/4 cup dry, since it doesn't say soaked on the package, which I figure to be about 1 cup soaked, and not packed in the measuring cup. I guess I don't worry that much about it, since even if it is soaked, an extra 1/4 cup is about 1 big soy curl. The weight of a serving is 30g on a package, which I'm assuming also means dry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:42 pm 
Wears Durian Helmet

Thanks! You are smart.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 12:55 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Ooh, another reason I must order soy curls online!

I'm still in the honeymoon phase and going strong. It helps that my meeting has a bunch of really nice, inspiring people. A lot of lifetime members and at least 3 regulars have losses of at least 100 lbs. It's a really motivating environment.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:33 pm 
Has it on Blue Vinyl

Is it just me or do fruits and veggies only count as free if you enter them individually? Like I just saw a recipe for grape granita on the ww website that was 2 Pts per serving. But all that was in it was 3 cups of frozen grapes, and it made 6 servings. So why wasn't it 0 points?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:43 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Aubade wrote:
Is it just me or do fruits and veggies only count as free if you enter them individually? Like I just saw a recipe for grape granita on the ww website that was 2 Pts per serving. But all that was in it was 3 cups of frozen grapes, and it made 6 servings. So why wasn't it 0 points?

Yeah, I just went to the recipe builder and tested it with just 5 cups of grapes and it says 0 next to the grapes themselves but the whole recipe has a total point count of 15. So I assume they fixed the individual ingredients to reflect the new program, but the recipe as a whole is probably calculated by adding up all the nutritional info and then doing the points calculator on that, not counting the fact that we are supposed to "ignore" the fruit calories.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:09 am 
WRETCHED

PS. I'm slowly building a chart of WW points for AFR. I've posted in the AFR thread in Cookbooks but when I'm done, I'll post a thorough thread down here.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:57 pm 

linanil wrote:
PS. I'm slowly building a chart of WW points for AFR. I've posted in the AFR thread in Cookbooks but when I'm done, I'll post a thorough thread down here.

Right on! I started to figure out the cauliflower ricotta last night, but the recipe didn't happen because I ate the cauliflower right after it was roasted! Sooo good!

About fruits/veggies and points - I have lurked on the ww forums a bit and that seems to cause a lot of confusion.

I think the change with no points for fruit will affect people more if they were already eating them and counting points. For me, I won't mind losing more slowly if the hunger is more manageable.

Tomorrow is my first day counting points. I'm feeling good about this!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:19 pm 
Can't Dance, Isn't Part of Revolution

This thread has made me consider grinding Oreos into a hummus-like paste and dipping chickpeas into the Oreo hummus.

I'm waiting for my friend to go back to WW so that I can read her materials.
I've always struggled with portion control on legumes, so I'm not sure that version of the plan will work for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:42 am 

Day two on WW. So much more civilized with the 0 point fruit! I came in under points yesterday and wasn't hungry. Had 2 bananas and a grapefruit, which I don't think I have ever consumed before while on WW.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:42 pm 
Drunk Dialed Ian MacKaye

I started up this week too. I've done Weight Watchers many times in my life and it always works. I have about 15 to lose right now.

I was wary of the new program but I really like it so far. The only thing I don't like is that I can't estimate points in my head anymore, because I'm not familiar enough with the new formula. I feel like I'm eating a lot more in general than on the old plan.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 12:56 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

molly wrote:
I started up this week too. I've done Weight Watchers many times in my life and it always works. I have about 15 to lose right now.

I was wary of the new program but I really like it so far. The only thing I don't like is that I can't estimate points in my head anymore, because I'm not familiar enough with the new formula. I feel like I'm eating a lot more in general than on the old plan.

I started when they switched to the new program. Before that, I had been following the old plan at home, but without going to meetings, doing weigh-ins, etc. I felt like I was eating so much more and I was so afraid that I'd gain my first week and I would have been so embarrassed. But I did great!

I really like the new program. It's teaching me to be healthier and eat more veggies and less carbs. AFR is helping with this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:32 pm 
Wears Pleather Undies

I joined WW online in November last year when they'd just rolled out the ProPoints here in the UK and I absolutely HATED it! To me, it is a copycat high protein diet - infact I've heard that "Pro" = protein. And by protein they are going down the eggs and meat route - beans and wholegrains are really high in points. I did it faithfully for 4 weeks and lost half a pound. Seriously. I wrote to them and was like "what the fizzle - this program is terrible for vegans - I want do to the OLD version where I actually lost weight last time" and they wrote back and said "We've cancelled your account". Nice.

There are loads of people on their forum complaining and not losing any weight and some even gaining! But there are also a lot of people doing really well and trying to encourage others to stick with it. So I suppose, as with all diets, its down to the individual. I think if you've done WW you might struggle because it is really really different. If it's your first time you might be OK.

I've gone to SparkPeople - its free and there's even a PPK team!

Bean x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:54 pm 
Married to the wolfman

molly wrote:
I feel like I'm eating a lot more in general than on the old plan.

I definitely feel like I'm eating way more than when I've done WW in the past. Part of that is that I'm mostly making better food choices too instead of trying to game the system. And um, part of it is definitely the free fruit. Aside from food that costs points, I've also eaten a grapefruit, a clementine, and an apple. And I'm going to eat more fruit later. I'm a freaking fruitasaurus.

Dunno, it's working really well for me. I feel like I'm eating a shiitake ton of food every day, and I'm still losing weight.

coldandsleepy cooks, THE BLOG!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:30 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

joyfulgirl wrote:
Aubade wrote:

Yeah, I just went to the recipe builder and tested it with just 5 cups of grapes and it says 0 next to the grapes themselves but the whole recipe has a total point count of 15. So I assume they fixed the individual ingredients to reflect the new program, but the recipe as a whole is probably calculated by adding up all the nutritional info and then doing the points calculator on that, not counting the fact that we are supposed to "ignore" the fruit calories.

So our WW leader explained this by saying there are no half points any more, so things which would work out at, say 3/4 of a point, if you're only having one, then the points system can absorb this and so it's counted as zero, but if you're eating multiples of them, then all the 3/4 points added together give a points value.

Also the reason why some fruit and veg recipes have points value is to do with satiety - because they are cooked or pureed or juiced or whatever, you would be likely to eat more, consume more calories than if you were eating the individual raw fruits and veg. So you could easily drink a whole juiced watermelon without feeling full, but if you were eating the watermelon raw, you probably wouldn't eat a whole one, or if you did, you'd feel sated for longer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:42 pm 
Keepin' It Seal

Ruby Rose wrote:
joyfulgirl wrote:
Aubade wrote:

So our WW leader explained this by saying there are no half points any more, so things which would work out at, say 3/4 of a point, if you're only having one, then the points system can absorb this and so it's counted as zero, but if you're eating multiples of them, then all the 3/4 points added together give a points value.

That's not the situation here. 5 cups of grapes have 15 points on the recipe builder. There is no fraction that would make that explanation work in this case.
I just opened the recipe builder on e-tools. As the recipe, I put in 5 cups of grapes as the first ingredient. It says 0 points next to that. And I put that it serves 5 (making each serving 1 cup of grapes). So under pointsplus value for the whole recipe it says 15, with each serving being 3 points.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:36 pm 
Mispronounces Daiya

joyfulgirl wrote:
I just opened the recipe builder on e-tools. As the recipe, I put in 5 cups of grapes as the first ingredient. It says 0 points next to that. And I put that it serves 5 (making each serving 1 cup of grapes). So under pointsplus value for the whole recipe it says 15, with each serving being 3 points.

Ok, that must be a quirk of your recipe builder programme over there - I just tried entering a large amount of grapes (3 lbs) divided by 5 servings, and it came out as zero points per serving.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 585 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 24  Next