| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 1:53 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:01 pm 
Hearts James Cromwell

Is there really not a VCTOTW topic?! I'm sure I must've just missed it somewhere.

But I can't contain my love for it any longer! Vegan cupcakes are definitely taking over MY world, and the lives of my friends and coworkers by association. Lucky Them!

I've made almost ten different recipes and I swear every new one we all say, "That one was my FAVORITE!" and then we remember how amazing the others were. We try every week to rank them, but find it absolutely impossible. It's not even that we disagree, but that every single one is so. forking. good.

I made the Pumpkin and Chocolate Chip ones for a party tomorrow. I couldn't even wait till they cooled to frost just one to try. Now I am going back to the store because I'm definitely going to need more than a dozen. The first batch may not even survive the night!

So, which ones do you LOVE with capital letters?

(I've made: Banana Split, Mocha, Cookies and Cream, Smores, Peanut Butter Bombe, Mint Chocolate, Mexican Hot Chocolate, and the Pumpkin Chocolate Chip.)

Post subject: Re: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World
PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2010 5:00 pm 
Huffs Nutritional Yeast

The latest ones I'm in love with are the basic chocolate cupcakes with the fluffy peanut butter frosting. I top them with a few chocolate chips for texture change. divine.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:45 pm 
Invented Vegan Meringue

Everyone always requests the lemon and macadamia cupcakes whenever I say I'll bake for any event.

I made the hazelnut mocha mousse cupcakes for the first time on Christmas Eve and everyone loved them too. Instead of poking a hole in the top, I cut out a cone shape, filled the hole and put the 'lid' back on and drizzled it all with ganache, pretty fancy looking.

I also kind of want to have another Mexican party so I have a good excuse to make the margarita cupcakes again.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:15 pm 
Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan Vegan

The peanut butter cupcakes are awesome! But I love peanut butter anything. The low fat vanilla cupcakes are pretty good too, and I loved the pineapple right side up cupcakes!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:24 pm 
Shopped till she dropped

I did a strawberry version of the raspberry cupcakes for my friend's birthday. Months and months later, him and his girlfriend were still raving over them. They told me they very carefully allotted them out to keep them around as long as possible.

I also really, really loved the gingerbread cupcakes, but I think about 75% of that love was for the lemon buttercream. Holy fork, it's good. My boyfriend requested the carrot cake cupcakes for his birthday last year, and he's omni. This Thursday is his birthday. I'll have to make them for him again.

I GOT YER VAGILANTE JUSTICE RIGHT HERE. ::grabs crotch:: - DarthCupcake

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:39 pm 
Impressive boner

I like the peanut butter cupcakes with peanut butter icing and chocolate chips, or vanilla cupcakes with vanilla cream cheeze icing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:13 pm 
Top of the food chain & doesn't need to prove it

I love the s'mores cupcakes. Most of my friends request those for their birthdays/fundraisers/etc. It tastes great as a cake, too. Of the basic cupcakes, I loooove the golden agave ones.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:52 pm 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

I used the chocolate mousse recipe for a no-bake chocolate pie this Christmas. It had an oreo cookie crust, a layer of caramel sauce (recipe from Manifest Vegan) & chopped pecans, and the rest was mousse. Everyone pretty much died when they ate it! Yum!!!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:20 pm 
Nailed to the V

The mint chocolate cupcakes are to die for! And my friend requested the Brooklyn Brownie Cupcakes for her birthday and wouldn't share them with the group! They were divine (I of course got one). :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:58 pm 

I'm planning on making the Brooklyn Brownie Cupcakes for an event I'm putting on in my residence in a couple of weeks. I never have bourbon around, and I don't feel like buying a whole bottle for the small amount that the recipe calls for. Is there something I could sub in to replace it, or will the recipe be okay if I just leave it out?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:59 pm 
Vegan Since Before There Were Vegetables

eppy's dungeon master made me cookies n cream cupcakes tonight! he's never made cupcakes before! he's probably never even baked anything from scratch before. they came out awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:24 am 
Ninja Master

I made a load of cupcakes for my dad's 60th last year and my all omni family were all raving about them. I have never had a batch of cupcakes come out wrong from that book, even if it's one that I've tweaked a lot. It's awesome.

Make up blog: http://love-lipstick.blogspot.com
Food blog: http://alienontoast.blogspot.com
FB Page for both blogs: http://www.facebook.com/lipstickontoast

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:35 am 
Nailed to the V

VeganMeredith wrote:
I'm planning on making the Brooklyn Brownie Cupcakes for an event I'm putting on in my residence in a couple of weeks. I never have bourbon around, and I don't feel like buying a whole bottle for the small amount that the recipe calls for. Is there something I could sub in to replace it, or will the recipe be okay if I just leave it out?

I made these and went to the liquor store for the tiny bottle. I think it adds to the depth of flavor, but I am sure you can get away without using it. These cupcakes were SO good!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:37 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

VeganMeredith wrote:

This is probably my favorite recipe in the book. I never have bourbon around either, but I've made these a few times substituting...I forget. Probably more of whatever liquid is already in the recipe. I don't know what they're supposed to be like with the bourbon, but they always turn out great!

Also, I make 12 regular and 12 mini.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:53 pm 

SandyBadlands wrote:
VeganMeredith wrote:

This is probably my favorite recipe in the book. I never have bourbon around either, but I've made these a few times substituting...I forget. Probably more of whatever liquid is already in the recipe. I don't know what they're supposed to be like with the bourbon, but they always turn out great!

Also, I make 12 regular and 12 mini.

There's almond and vanilla extract, maybe I'll just add a little bit extra.

Also, I can't find black cherry preserves. Do you think any type of cherry jam would work?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:51 am 
Writes Vegan Haiku

There used to be a thread on the old boards about making cakes from the cupcakes recipes and I could sure use it now. I'm looking to make two 9" cakes golden vanilla cupcakes style to make a strawberry shortcake. Anyone have any pointers?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:59 am 
Drinks Wild Tofurkey

How do I convert cupcakes into cakes?
One batch of cupcake batter makes 1 round cake (either 8" or 9"). If you want a thick 9" cake, then use 1.5 batches of cupcake batter. Bake for 10 - 15 minutes longer than you would bake the cupcakes for, and test for doneness - you want to make sure they're cooked all the way through.

It's in "Food & Cooking In General."

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:44 am 
Memorized Veganomicon

My faves are the chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting, the mint chocolate cupcakes, the red velveteen cupcakes, and the Mexican hot chocolate cupcakes. But honestly, every cupcake I've tried from this book has been delish.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 2:35 pm 
Writes Vegan Haiku

Thanks kdub <3!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:31 am 
ugh

I would like to thank Isa & Terry for this book on behalf of my family and friends - they love that I keep making them cupcakes!

And thanks from me for teaching me how to bake and like it. That troubleshooting section is a godsend.

"I feel like it's not a real political discussion if I'm not morally opposed to something I don't understand." - ndpittman

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:31 pm 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

We're having a Mexican themed birthday dinner for my dad on the weekend and I'm in charge of the dessert. Would your vote be for either the Margarita cupcakes or the Mexican chocolate cupcakes? My dad loves everything, so I don't think he'll mind either way...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:46 pm 
Attended Chelsea Clinton's Wedding

I haven't made the Margarita cupcakes yet (I am waiting until I can find some of that adorable decorating sugar), but the Mexican Chocolate Cupcakes are amazing.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:22 am 
Invented Vegan Meringue

mel b wrote:
We're having a Mexican themed birthday dinner for my dad on the weekend and I'm in charge of the dessert. Would your vote be for either the Margarita cupcakes or the Mexican chocolate cupcakes? My dad loves everything, so I don't think he'll mind either way...

I couldn't decide either so I made mini versions of both for a Mexican dinner party once. Everyone loved both, but I think the margarita ones were slightly more popular- probably just because they're so cute.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:51 am 
Addicted to B12 Enemas

Erinnerung wrote:
mel b wrote:

I couldn't decide either so I made mini versions of both for a Mexican dinner party once. Everyone loved both, but I think the margarita ones were slightly more popular- probably just because they're so cute.

Yep, decided on the margarita ones - I think I'm just going to make my own coloured sugar! Can't wait to try 'em out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:19 pm 
Tofu Pup

Has anyone had good luck with the blueberry mousse?

I couldn't get it to stay solid - even after setting up in the fridge a few hours, the liquid all separates out... Help?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 256 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next