| Register  | FAQ  | Search | Login 
It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bunny bonding troubles: aggression.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:24 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

Dear PPK,

As many of you know, I recently adopted a beautiful bunny girl called Yuki. I have bonded rabbits twice before with no significant difficulties. When I introduced Bram to Yuki in the bathroom (neutral territory), she immediately took the upper hand and he immediately submitted. However, she bit him a couple of times, even when he was already down and being all like 'okay, you win, I shall submit'. She has bitten him in every subsequent meeting and it's quite obvious that he is terrified of her. I'm never more than 30 cm away, but she is too quick for me and unfortunately, I have to admit, it makes me angry when she bites him. I really don't want to act out my frustration on an animal, but she is biting my little man and just now I almost instinctively pulled her off him pretty roughly. He has marks on his back and sides and above his eye.

However, there has also been some progress: she does lie down next to him at times, pushes her head into him, asking him to lick her head (which he does). But she'll just turn around on a dime and bite him again.

I just don't know what to do. They've had 10 meetings now. I think progress is slow and that she is a danger to him. I'm terrified that she will actually damage his eye. How much longer should I try? When I adopted her, I asked the shelter if I could bring her back if things didn't work out. I'm considering doing this, but of course I don't want to give up too soon.

This is my plan of action: I'm going to ask people (like yourselves) for suggestions. I'm going to call the vet tomorrow and see what she thinks and if she can maybe refer me to a behavioral expert.

What do you think I should do, PPK? Does anyone have experience with difficult bonding?

Post subject: Re: Bunny bonding troubles: aggression.
PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:05 pm 
Has gasoline in her veins

It's been a reeeally long time since I had any rabbits, but from what I experienced females are almost always more aggressive/dominant. Unless she has made any progress since you introduced them to each other, I don't think she's going to behave any differently. She's probably just a VERY dominant female that Bram will never please. =[

I hope you figure something out!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:08 pm 
Bathes in Braggs

That's a bummer that Bram's new bunny friend isn't taking to him. I have absolutely no suggestions, that's a difficult position for you to be in.

Good luck with them! Cuddles to Bram and Yuki!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:09 pm 
Level 7 Vegan

I posted this in the Space to Post topic, but I brought Yuki back to the shelter today, as my vet suggested to me on the phone yesterday. She's a great bun and will find a nice home.